Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gammy right eye newbe question

Options
  • 17-11-2011 10:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Fiachra cork

Hey all, Ive lately become obsessed with the idea of getting a rifle. Probably a .22 but of course have to apply for the license etc...red tape red tape...

Anyhow, as the title suggests, I can't really see through my right eye. Since I havn't managed to even try out a gun yet- can anyone tell me if I need a left handed rifle (if such a thing exists) and teach myself how to use my left hand (don't relish the taught) or does it actually make any difference? In other words, can you use a gun right handed and look through the scope comfortably with your left eye?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi55

your supposed to be able to shoot through a scope with your two eyes open and see perfect
    but ive always closed one tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

daithi55 wrote: »
    your supposed to be able to shoot through a scope with your two eyes open and see perfect

i taught that was for iron sites?

i can never look through a scope with both eyes open. everyone i know who shoots always has one eye closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

daithi55 wrote: »

Is that not because you get tunnel vision with a scope rather than a rule? In the military they ask you to shoot with both eyes only when you are in a battle situation. When grouping (zeroing) it was one eye closed.

Hunting is also two eye's open in certain situations like bird shooting but say you are after deer then its one eye closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭lee70

Hey all, Ive lately become obsessed with the idea of getting a rifle. Probably a .22 but of course have to apply for the license etc...red tape red tape...

Anyhow, as the title suggests, I can't really see through my right eye. Since I havn't managed to even try out a gun yet- can anyone tell me if I need a left handed rifle (if such a thing exists) and teach myself how to use my left hand (don't relish the taught) or does it actually make any difference? In other words, can you use a gun right handed and look through the scope comfortably with your left eye?
    Yes you can buy left and right handed rifles. I'm sure your local firearms dealer will be able to sort you out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Welcome my brother.
    I too have your predicament.

Find a nice Bolt action rifle, and not a Semi Auto as most of teh .22lr semi's spit across your face.

You have then another option.
    1. Buy a Left handed Rifle
    2. Buy a right handed Rifle and Customize it

Neither are ideal.

I went for straight stocked rifles and then add your own cheek piece to suit.
    I have been shooting since I was a school kid and since I could pick up a gun I put it to the left shoulder instinctively (even though I was right handed)

There are some small benefits of Option 2

You can resale your rifle easily if you replace the stock in favour of an Non-Inletted stock Left Hand cheek piece (This means that the stock is not finished and you have to cut out the wood to suit.)

Option 1, if youstart out with it may be OK, but you are very limited in Rifle choice as most Companies only offer a handful of Left hand models, and these are normally the Lower spec Models.
    Discrimination I know :eek:

I know several other guys like me.
    The great thing about it is that you will find most of them Guys on here!! is not a major disadvantage.

Being Left Eye Dominated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭firefly08

You should watch some of this guy's shooting - he's a very, very good shot and he is right-handed but left-eye dominant. He mostly shoots handguns but if you browse through his channel he has some rifle videos in there too - might shed some light on the issue.

i can never look through a scope with both eyes open. everyone i know who shoots always has one eye closed.
    is that not because you get tunnel vision with a scope rather than a rule? In the military they ask you to shoot with both eyes only when you are in a battle situation. When grouping (zeroing) it was one eye closed.

Using a scope with both eyes open shouldn't be any harder than using iron sights with both eyes open. You will always see 2 images - you just have to learn to filter out the non-dominant one.

It's the best way to shoot because aside from the peripheral vision issue, it's extremely tiring to keep one eye closed (for most people anyway). I used to get tired from shooting 50 rounds that way. Without squinting, I can shoot all day. That's how it is for me anyway.

When you have a one eye Dominant eye, shooting eyes open is easy as the brain is only using the most powerful eye.

In fact i would see it as an advantage in Rifle shooting for targets, a disadvantage for breaking Clays as one side will have poor peripheral vision.

At the end of the Day you only NEED one Eye for a scoped Rifle ;)

When you have a one eye Dominant eye, shooting eyes open is easy as the brain is only using the most powerful eye.

In fact i would see it as an advantage in Rifle shooting for targets, a disadvantage for breaking Clays as one side will have poor peripheral vision.

At the end of the Day you only NEED one Eye for a scoped Rifle

Well just to avoid any confusion, there is a difference between the concept of a 'dominant' eye and a 'good' or 'strong' eye. Pretty much everyone has one dominant eye - even if they have equally sharp vision with each eye. I have read that it's possible not to have a dominant eye, but I'd imagine you'd have trouble seeing properly. Eye dominance is just the brain tending to always prefer the image from one eye over the other. That's why if you try closing one eye, everything looks the same, but if you try closing the other one instead, everything appears from a slightly different angle. The one that matches the image you normally get, with both eyes open - that's the dominant one.

I think most of us that have one 'worse' eye (myopia, astigmatism etc. ) tend to have it in the non-dominant eye, but it's not unheard of for someone to have 'worse eye dominance', i.e. their weaker eye is the dominant one.

I would suggest that if you absolutely have to close one eye - there's no way you can aim with both open - then you're probably shooting with your non-dominant eye. Maybe because it's sharper, or maybe you prefer to mount the rifle on your 'bad' side for whatever reason (I used to do that as a child...same with guitars, even though I'm right handed/right eye dominant. I blame the mirror image we get from the TV, and maybe from watching other people who are facing you :) )

Every year in work I have to do a medical where I have to look through Goggles and say where the letters intersect the shapes.

Every year I say I can't say for sure; but If I blink I reckon it's B2 ;)

Very hard to explain how I can function with 40% vision in one eye, but I get by, and I do not have to wear Glasses to drive as I can read the second from the bottom line of the eyesight chart.

I can shoot with two eyes open as I can switch off one eye, can't explain how.
    It took decades of practice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

i shoot alot of the time with 2 eyes open, works very well scanning with the scope as you can see a hell of alot more. Took alot of practice to get it and learn how to switch eyes properly with them both open but i find it term useful

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Fiachra cork

Thanks lads, a lot of very interesting stuff there. I don't think theres much hope in using both eyes - maybe but my right eye is a lazy eye (not a turn or pointing in the wrong direction). Basically vision is impaired - I don't know what percentage its at but its not great. Eg. I cant read road signs and definitely couldn't drive if I closed my good eye!

To make things worse, if I go ahead with this fantasy - I only wanted to get an air rifle to begin with (for a multitude of reasons). Also, because I'm just starting out, I don't want to spend a huge amount of cash, which limits the stock etc. If anyone could be bothered to have a look, I was thinking of the BSA lightning XL. I was so naive, I taught I could just go up North or over to England where there is a much bigger second hand market but alas, that has a whole load of other red tape attached so depends on the price of a new one.

Whilst on that subject- does anyone know why rifles are much more expensive here? For example I saw an airgun advertised here for 450 E but retails at 330 E in the UK? That seems like a huge mark up - is it duty or what?

Anyway, I should be meeting up with someone from the local gun club over the next few days so I reckon if I can get someone to let me hold a gun and look down a sight, it will give me a better idea of whats needed.

Thanks again for the tips.

Thanks - I wrote a more comprehensive answer at the end but basically I'll try and meet up with someone locally who'll give me a shot off one. I'm starting out basic with an air rifle (always wanted one and Ive small kids and the wife REALLY doesn't like the idea!!) - plus the whole thing is a bit nostalgic as me dad used to have a .22 and shot rabbits with them. I havn't tasted rabbit since and thats a good while ago now ....). Maybe I can look down a sight with both eyes - basically my right eye doesn't do much.

Edi Graef in Kinsale makes Custom stocks.

He made me a left shouldered version for a right handed stock.
    Hwever it did cost as much as your airrfle so puts things into perspective.

Why do you want an airrifle?
    Shooting Rabbits (at very close range in the head)
    Shooting mkagpies,greycrows,jackdaws,rooks

Or Target shooting in an Authorised range?

Yep - Primarily to shoot Rabbits - sneak up tactics and head shots.

Thats the one... Somebody told me though that apparently its illegal to shoot birds with a rifle.:cool:

You can shoot any Vermin bird under derogation with rifle/air rifle.

You info is misinformed.

Oh good - not to fond of mkagpies,greycrows,jackdaws,rooks!! I'd like to help out some of the neighbours (farmers) where possible...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

Oh good - not to fond of mkagpies,greycrows,jackdaws,rooks!! I'd like to help out some of the neighbours (farmers) where possible...

My right eye is a dud - left is not great but ok with glasses , and I'm right handed

I shoot a browning buckmark, competitively, from the left shoulder with no problems (wearing glasses to protect my eyes)

Also lots of ambidextrous Ruger 10/22s about

Great for bunnies or target

Be sure to get a shot out.of a few before spending big money on custom stocks to,see.if u like em

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

Well I am the perfect example, I have a bad right eye since childhood, I am shooting going on 40 years now:eek:. I am right handed and ALL my firearms are right handed and I have been shooting left handed all my life. I never had a problem, I can master a right handed bolt firing off my left shoulder as good and as fast as anyone firing a right handed gun from their right shoulder. From the Lee enfield .303 and the Bren Gun in my FCA days right through to my current 30+years military service I have won (and lost:D) competitions shooting from my left shoulder using right handed weapons/firearms. 5 years ago I bought a left handed Sako delux 6.5x55 just to try it, a beautiful expensive rifle, could not master the bolt left handed, traded it in after 2 weeks and lost a fortune on it:mad::mad:. So to answer your question, Yes you can use a right handed gun and look and shoot comfortably with the left eye. Good luck. Also I have had many semi-auto both rifle and shotgun and never had a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

garv123 wrote: »

yep

• Advertisement

Well I am the perfect example, I have a bad right eye since childhood, I am shooting going on 40 years now:eek:. I am right handed and ALL my firearms are right handed and I have been shooting left handed all my life. I never had a problem, I can master a right handed bolt firing off my left shoulder as good and as fast as anyone firing a right handed gun from their right shoulder. From the Lee enfield .303 and the Bren Gun in my FCA days right through to my current 30+years military service I have won (and lost:D) competitions shooting from my left shoulder using right handed weapons/firearms. 5 years ago I bought a left handed Sako delux 6.5x55 just to try it, a beautiful expensive rifle, could not master the bolt left handed, traded it in after 2 weeks and lost a fortune on it:mad::mad:. So to answer your question, Yes you can use a right handed gun and look and shoot comfortably with the left eye. Good luck. Also I have had many semi-auto both rifle and shotgun and never had a problem

Thanks a million - Im amazed at how supportive people are and also that there are people with similar ailments!! I'm a bit of an impostere because I havn't even shot a gun yet but just love the idea of it. Therefore won't be spending big money. To make it worse Im unemployed (like half the country) so will be doing it as cheaply as possible without buying total ****e. Also you may laugh but at the moment Im only interested in an air rifle for shooting bunnys etc... the plus side is that there is no bolt. I should be meeting up with someone from the local gun club over the week so maybe I can wangle a go of one at least. I suppose my main concern is wether the stock really makes a big difference on a low budget rifle? The one Im thinking of is the BSA lightning XL - there is an XL tactical with a compound stock but this has special curvature/moulding/ cheek rest/pad for right handed people - presumably your right cheek.

So to surmise from your message....
    I should be able to use the gun , firing from my left shoulder and scoping with my left eye since I can see shag all with my right, and fire with my left hand. And hopefully the stock wont have such a biast shape as to interfere.

Am I right in saying that you would probably never fire from the right shoulder, right hand trigger and left eye?..

Oh.. I should probably just go for it and have a laughh

Thanks again. - heres a link to the gun Ive been thinking of if anyones interested in giving an opinion....I know, you wouldn't shoot deer with it!!

http://www.bsaguns.co.uk/sgun_lightning_xl.php

Am I right in saying that you would probably never fire from the right shoulder, right hand trigger and left eye?..

Yep you'd be right there. You will not be able to get your head low enough for your left eye to see through the sights, unless you mount a scope very high...but I wouldn't go down that route if I were you. Shoot from the left shoulder. Since you're not already used to shooting it's not going to be any harder for you to learn to shoot left handed.

Also, if the lack of a bolt is the only thing steering you towards an air rifle, I'd say don't worry about the bolt. A .22 rimfire rifle is probably a more versatile firearm overall and the license is no harder to get.

Also you may laugh but at the moment Im only interested in an air rifle for shooting bunnys etc... the plus side is that there is no bolt.
    I should be able to use the gun , firing from my left shoulder and scoping with my left eye since I can see shag all with my right, and fire with my left hand. And hopefully the stock wont have such a biast shape as to interfere.

]

I'm left handed and Fire a right handed rifle. alot people do. The selection of left handed rifles arent as good.
    What you will have a problem with is just getting used to it. naturally you'll probably lift the gun to the right shoulder. but you'll get used to that since you wont be able to fire off the right shoulder.

as said below i wouldnt get a air rifle just because of the bolt issue. shooting from standing without a bi-pod can be awkward as you must take the right hand off the stock by the barrel to reload which means you cant keep on target,
    but off shooting sticks, a bi-pod or a ditch you will have the front of the gun rested and able to keep your hand on the bolt since a .22 wont have recoil and you'll be able to reload faster than right handed people. ;)
    also if you dont want a bolt theres plenty of semi auto .22's.

Regards stocks, a lot of the "cheaper" model guns are ambidextrous. Its the more expensive models that will have a cheek piece carved into the stock and the stock bent slightly to suit. these could give issues.

firefly08 wrote: »
    Yep you'd be right there. You will not be able to get your head low enough for your left eye to see through the sights, unless you mount a scope very high...but I wouldn't go down that route if I were you. Shoot from the left shoulder. Since you're not already used to shooting it's not going to be any harder for you to learn to shoot left handed.

Also, if the lack of a bolt is the only thing steering you towards an air rifle, I'd say don't worry about the bolt. A .22 rimfire rifle is probably a more versatile firearm overall and the license is no harder to get.

the bit in bold isnt entirely true, Shooting right handed if he's right handed will probably be the natural thing for him to do and it will be tougher to learn to fire left handed.

the bit in bold isnt entirely true, Shooting right handed if he's right handed will probably be the natural thing for him to do and it will be tougher to learn to fire left handed.

I don't see why. It's not as if the human body has a natural 'shooting side'. It's all conditioning. He won't really be shooting left-handed... he'll be shooting both-handed, which is how everyone uses a rifle.

I don't see why. It's not as if the human body has a natural 'shooting side'. It's all conditioning. He won't really be shooting left-handed... he'll be shooting both-handed, which is how everyone uses a rifle.

+1

First rifle I picked up I put it to the left shoulder.

I am right handed and instinctively shoulder to the left.

+1

First rifle I picked up I put it to the left shoulder.

I am right handed and instinctively shoulder to the left.

first time i picked up a gun it was right handed. not a hope i could fire it on my right shoulder the way the gun was designed to be used with the bolt and cheek piece on that side. tried to get used to it and i didnt bother in the end.
    left shoulder just felt natural.

as you said tack you out it to your left shoulder but are right handed, im left handed but play hurling and golf right handed.
    normally everyone isnt 100% left sided or right sided for everything.

pick up a hurley and pretend its a gun and see which shoulder you put it too. one will fell comfortable and the other wont:rolleyes:. you'll just have to try it and see how it feels.

Thanks all for your insight - really helpful. Since I was on last, Ive signed up with the local gun club- held up an old shot gun and visited a local-ish gunsmith who happens to have a perfect rifle for me - I ruled it out originally as I never thought I'de pick up a decent second hand air rifle. Your all right - It feels a little awkward to shoulder on the left but nothing I can't get over or learn as I go along - Its definitely better than not being able to see down the scope!! To answer some of the questions- The bolt has nothing to do with the airgun choice. I may regret it in time but 1. I always wanted one but never got around to it.2 I have small kids (boys) - my dad had a .22 rifle when we were small and we did get our hands on it and messed around with it as boys will. 3. If they did get hold of it, they wouldn't be able to cock it as the spring is way to strong for them (granted at the moment). 4. There is no live amo (bullets) to get hold of and throw on the fire, belt with a hammer etc. - As careful as I'd be, there's always a slim chance I'd loose one or two along the way). 5. I like the fact that they're quiet/discreet. 6. Having to get closer to the targets should make me a better shooter and I would probably learn more about the various behaviors of the animals I'm stalking. Finally - I'll probably get pissed off with the airgun after a few weeks and want a proper gun - at which point I'll be back on posts moaning....:D

By the way - looks like I'll need a gun safe if anyones in the Cork area with a cheap second hand one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭aurin07

Thanks all for your insight - really helpful. Since I was on last, Ive signed up with the local gun club- held up an old shot gun and visited a local-ish gunsmith who happens to have a perfect rifle for me - I ruled it out originally as I never thought I'de pick up a decent second hand air rifle. Your all right - It feels a little awkward to shoulder on the left but nothing I can't get over or learn as I go along - Its definitely better than not being able to see down the scope!! To answer some of the questions- The bolt has nothing to do with the airgun choice. I may regret it in time but 1. I always wanted one but never got around to it.2 I have small kids (boys) - my dad had a .22 rifle when we were small and we did get our hands on it and messed around with it as boys will. 3. If they did get hold of it, they wouldn't be able to cock it as the spring is way to strong for them (granted at the moment). 4. There is no live amo (bullets) to get hold of and throw on the fire, belt with a hammer etc. - As careful as I'd be, there's always a slim chance I'd loose one or two along the way). 5. I like the fact that they're quiet/discreet. 6. Having to get closer to the targets should make me a better shooter and I would probably learn more about the various behaviors of the animals I'm stalking. Finally - I'll probably get pissed off with the airgun after a few weeks and want a proper gun - at which point I'll be back on posts moaning....:D

By the way - looks like I'll need a gun safe if anyones in the Cork area with a cheap second hand one?

1. Cant argue with that.

2.If the gun is locked in the safe there is no way in hell should a kid get his hands on the gun in question. Evening accepting the fact the kids will get there hands on the air rifle is poor handling skills imo :confused::confused:

3.If they got hold of the rifle they wouldnt be able to fire it as being smart you would have taken and stashed the bolt elsewhere!!!... Like yer meant too!!

4.Point 2 covers this.

5.I've (and many others here) have a 22lr with a mod. Quiet as any air rifle .. :cool::cool:

6. You will get pissed off with them. Unless big bobs are spent I find them really disappointing :(:(

As for the whole LH/RH debate.. Im a lefty but play guitar right handed..
    It was forced first day by myself due to more choice in RH models and better resale.. As for guns mine are all RH but im left hand/eye/shoulder...

Never bothered me shooting a RH rifle left handed.. in fact coming to think of it logically I dont see why more RH shooters dont shoot LH guns!.

Where abouts in cork are you man??.. Before you commit to buy anything I will gladly take you out on one of my permissions with the 22lr and let you try whats best.

A

Your right of course - The gun will be locked away- unlike me old mans back in the 70's - The point I forgot to mention is that the wife is not all that keen on the whole getting a gun thing so in a way I'm diminishing the impact by getting an air rifle- 'look love it just shoots pellets etc...' I was so excited I put a deposit on one today and did the proficiency course for the license application. (easy 50 yo yos if you ask me). Its true that I may get Pissed off with it but I'll give it a bash for a year and decide next year if I want to upgrade. Its a pretty decent quality one - Ive been doing a load of reading of reviews etc. So was surprised yer man had one (Pat Hayes in Mallow). On saying that- he probable got it in for someone with the same ideas as myself who got pissed off!!

Im up near Fermoy so if thats not to far - I'de still love to get out if the offer still stands? I won't be applying for a license for another week so could potentially change me mind.

• Advertisement

• Can you not just get some gun glasses if you are left eye dominant and get a flap cover for the right glass. Thus covering that eye and centering your aim?

Advertisement