Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Training for tutor in crisis management

• 17-11-2011 10:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone, just wondering does anyone know if there's any kind of training available for dealing with crisis situations as a general teacher as opposed to a guidance counsellor?
    For example today I came across a student in acute distress and was with him for near 10 minutes while the principal was on his way. Without going into any detail it was a very serious situation and way beyond anything a normal teacher would expect to manage but i honestly didn't have a clue how to speak to him in the meantime! I know what I should do under child protection guidelines, keep the door open, don't agree to keep anything secret etc but I really didn't know how to actually work with him. I really felt like I was in a situation where anything I had been told did not relate to actually comforting/talking to the student themselves.

I'm not looking to train as a counsellor or anything just basic skills really. Anyways that's a bit vague but anyone got any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭madison2011

Hope it all turned out OK.That poor child. I found the HSE Suicide Assist training useful. De-escalation and active listening skills also useful in tricky sitations. I feel being human is more important & not over-promising or rushing to a fix to soon.

Department has crisis manangement guidelines for schools on their site for the 'bigger picture'.

Be sure to de-brief the incident with a colleague/professional yourself too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Been debriefed already and it was fairly swiftly taken over by the relevant parties. I'll look into both of them thanks. It'd be nice to just feel a little less out of your depth in those situation!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭golden virginia

Musicmental - there used to be an inservice course called - Solution Focued Brief Therapy. it was organised by the JCSP - they got in psychologists to to train teachers. With cut backs i dont know if they still do this - but you could ring them.

There is another place that gives courses in this but at a fee - http://www.brieftherapy.ie/aboutus.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Hey everyone, just wondering does anyone know if there's any kind of training available for dealing with crisis situations as a general teacher as opposed to a guidance counsellor?
    For example today I came across a student in acute distress and was with him for near 10 minutes while the principal was on his way. Without going into any detail it was a very serious situation and way beyond anything a normal teacher would expect to manage but i honestly didn't have a clue how to speak to him in the meantime! I know what I should do under child protection guidelines, keep the door open, don't agree to keep anything secret etc but I really didn't know how to actually work with him. I really felt like I was in a situation where anything I had been told did not relate to actually comforting/talking to the student themselves.

I'm not looking to train as a counsellor or anything just basic skills really. Anyways that's a bit vague but anyone got any ideas?

I would take the lead from senior teachers. i have worked in schools where junior teachers were all concerned while the senior teachers ignored any cry for help. the sad thing is that it was the junior teachers who suffered.

Trinity offers a conflict management course.
    Drumcondra has different courses throughout the year.

Advertisement