Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Petrol Remote Control Airplane

Options
  • 17-11-2011 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi all,

My husband is looking for a petrol remote control airplane - I've been trying to look into it, maybe for Christmas, but not getting too far so far. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Are there are recommended websites I could look at?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

He is a lucky man to have such a lovely wife:D If it's his first plane look for a trainer plane, not sure what part of the country you are but if you talk to the guys in your local model and they will sort you out.
    These guys are in Dublin and are very helpful you could give them a ring. http://www.greenhobbymodel.com/carinfo.html

Here are a few of their trainers.
    http://www.greenhobbymodel.com/glowtrainer.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 34 sartay

Thanks a million! It'd be his first yes and we are in Dublin - I'll give those guys a call - thats great. Roughly as a ball park how much money would I be looking at for a trainer do you know?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I would say about €300 as you are starting from scratch without an engine and radio. The electric planes are a lot cheeper and have a bigger selection of trainer planes that don't break up too much when they crash :eek:
    I would also recommend he joins a club for his first flight and one of the guys will check it out for him and help him take off and land, there is one in the Phoenix park http://www.lmfclub.com/ I haven't been in a while but I'm sure they are still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 sartay

Thanks again! You have been really helpful!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Much better off starting electric. Petrol or nitro is the next step up. I crashed my electric plane about 10 times before I mastered it.
    He will be very mad on Chrimbo when he flies it into a tree. Also make sure you force him into a flying club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Whizzzz

It would also be a good idea to buy him an entry level flight Simulator that you can run on a PC or Laptop (eg Ikarus EasyFly or RealFlight Basic for €50 to €90) - it is a Very worthwhile investment as it teaches you the basics and you can do all the crashing you like without the need for any expensive repairs !. Sims at this level would also have Helicopters as well airplanes and gliders so they can be fun to use as well as teaching you using a 'real' radio transmitter controller to get the feel of it.
    Most model shops or online model stores will have them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Gareth2011

sartay wrote: »
    Thanks a million! It'd be his first yes and we are in Dublin - I'll give those guys a call - thats great. Roughly as a ball park how much money would I be looking at for a trainer do you know?

I got the Arising Star as my first r/c plane from the model shop in capel strret in Dublin. All in it cost 250 i think but this was years ago and it could have been in £ really cant remember. Not the smallest of planes but big enough to be noticed. Wing span of about 6 ft :)

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭irishbloke77

www.themodelcentre.net in Waterford also do them if you are ever down here aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Alan b.

Toying with the idea of getting a plane for a while now and can't find anyone better then WWW.towerhobbies.com on price or selection with complete packages or planes that you can then choose your own engines/electric motors and radio gear.

They are based in the us, but even including taxes and shipping (2 weeks at most usually) they are still cheaper.

I have a few catalogs from them and if you go to their website and request one, they will post a full one to you free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Electric is the way to go for beginners and get either a motorised glider or a high wing plane like a Supercub. That way, you'll be buying a "stable" airplane that won't go into a death spiral when you try to turn.

This guy is very reliable and will post to Ireland for just £15 - rcpitstop.co.uk and he has a Hobbyzone Supercub in stock (I have this plane and even my 11 year old daughter can fly it)

http://www.rcpitstop.co.uk/hobbyzone-super-cub-lp-rtf-dsm-24ghz-plane-hbz7400-1388-p.asp

You could also try Hobbyking who sell reasonably priced airplanes and ship to Ireland cheaper than most other stores.

• Advertisement
Advertisement