Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teen fantasy books?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Has she tried the Bard's Tale trilogy from Robert Scott? I'm probably a bit biased as it was really my first introduction to fantasy but I started reading them around that age and I thought they were great.

If she's that voracious a reader though, and judging from some of the stuff you say she's read, I'd imagine she's well able to deal with the more complicated stuff like Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen (that'd certainly keep her busy- ten books packed full of clever subtle intertwining plots that almost demand multiple readings to fully appreciate), or maybe some of Joe Abercrombie's stuff.

You should be able to pick up a nice big Conan the Barbarian omnibus for a decent price these days, if she hasn't read any Conan then I'd highly recommend it, really classic stuff that inspired a truckload of modern writers.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭flowerchild

I'd recommend Ranger's Apprentice. It is a series of fantasy novels written by Australian author John Flanagan. It takes place in a fictional world based on European medieval times. The series has sold two million copies in 16 countries around the world.

The series was originally 20 short stories Flanagan wrote for his son to get him interested in reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Back again...
    Well she got a kindle for Christmas from her granddad, she loves it!

She has been working her way through the recommendations, Hunger games were a big hit, city of angels series (sorry can't remember author but there's 3), Un Lun dun not such a hit, she did finish it but wasn't sure if she wanted more.
    Fiest, Eddings and Gemmell seem to be hit and miss (so far), she got a few free books from the kindle store.
    Only problem now is getting her to sleep!
    Thanks for help, may be back again in a couple of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

At 13 or 14 I was engrossed in David Eddings' The Belgariad. It hasn't really stood the test of time though unfortunately.

Advertisement