Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiring a w/machine motor ?

Options
  • 17-11-2011 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭

Well lads.

I have an old washing machine motor and I'd like to utilize it in some way but have to figure out the wiring first.

There's about 7 wires coming out of the winding's into a connector block which in turn would have gone to the controls/PCB of the machine.
    It's a 2 speed 1Ph motor and while in the w/m it would have had the 2 forward speeds (320 and 2800 rpm) and 1 reverse speed.

So this is where am so far. I spun the shaft with a cordless drill while checking the various wires with a meter on AC and got some voltage shown.

Am I right in thinking that If I get a AC voltage from 2 particular wires then theses are the right wires to connect to the primary supply ?

Obviously I will earth the unit before switching on and I would prob have to give the pulley a bit of help to start before I figure out the capacitor end of things.

Anyone tried anything like this ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

To reverse a universal motor requires swapping the stator winding ends with respect to the brushes. So this requires that 2 wires come from the brushes to the outside connector, also the 2 ends of the stator windings that go to the brushes, and the other 2 ends of stator windings that connect to the supply.

So thats 6 wires. For 2 speed probably requires 2 more for extra windings on the stator. So thats 8. And an earth.

How many are there? Take a photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Cheers Robbie. Just the man for the job:)

7 wires from windings and the earth which is on the body.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

I was assuming a universal motor, but that one looks like an induction one.

It will have a start winding which has 2 of the wires.

An a slow speed winding, and normal speed winding.

They would have to be identified with an ohm meter to find the ends of windings.

Are you sure it has 7 cores besides the earth?

Its a sole tipo 20571.233 according to photo?

A suitable capacitor will also probably be needed to put in series with the start winding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

I searched that part # before and eventually found where some Norwegian guy was doing the same as me and asked the Q on some forum. Apparently he got sorted but never came back to say what he had done.:rolleyes:
    This is about as much info as I can get out of it.

Small voltage from these when the shaft is spun. 2.5 Volts AC
    Brn-Blu
    Blk-Brn
    Blk-Gr

Continuity between
    Blu-Brn/Org/Gr
    Brn-Org/Gr
    Wht-Wht
    Blk-Brn

Resistance
    Blk-Blu 12.1
    Blk-Brn 69.7
    Blk-Org 33.7
    Blu-Brn 81.6
    Blu-Org 45.6
    Blu-Gr 83.4
    Brn-Gr 85.5

My head is wrecked with this, so I may pop into a rewinds place and ask them. If no joy there I'll bin it.

Advertisement