Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mgs 5 confirmed

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    My arm also changes my personality sometimes.

It does when you use it properly :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

It does when you use it properly :cool:

My arm is a pervert

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I still thought 2 was an excellent game even if the story kept me guessing well up until 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

I hated MGS2 I just could not get over how crap the story was. Raiden was, and still is a terrible character, so keep him away from MGS5.

That said, I'm dead excited for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

I didnt like the ability to run and gun in MGS4, yes it was cool when there was two dfactions fighting etc... but I perfered the previous games

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

noodler wrote: »
    I still thought 2 was an excellent game even if the story kept me guessing well up until 2009.

I have to say I agree.

I liked mgs2 more then mgs4

Yes, raiden was not something I expected, but it was good game with few of those mgs1 moments.

Mgs4 actuoly putted me off the franchise. I can't even imagine what was going in theyr heads "mgs series got theyr name as stealth game! Let's just **** that idea and make it pure action game!"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

I think the haters just don't appreciate avant-garde storytelling...:pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

That Andy Warhol film of a guy getting a blowjob has a better sense of pace than a Metal Gear Solid 4 cutscene.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Kojima should just get his wife to co-produce MGS.

If there's anyone who'll tell you you're taking too long...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

The cutscenes are fantastic. I don't know why people bemoan them. I used to hear the same things said about the Final Fantasy games but I loved them in that too. Part of the appeal of MGS to me is the near cinematic experience.

Also yes the plot gets silly sometimes but we're talking about a story involving clones, psychic villains, giant walking nuclear warheads etc. Frankly I'll be disappointed if the next game doesn't feature some OTT whackiness. It's just about making sure the whackiness doesn't go over the line as it did in the story of MGS2.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Part of the appeal of MGS to me is the near cinematic experience.

But that's the problem. The cutscenes aren't cinematic in the slightest. Would an exposition scene go on for thirty minutes in a film? No. Unless it's a really, really bad film. There are some great ideas and moments in the MGS series, no doubt about it. But so much of it is hidden under turgid dialogue with no sense of basic editing or storytelling techniques. Even the pre-rendered action tends to go on way too long.

Cutscenes are a cheap way of telling a game story in any case, although they can be handled with care. You just need to compare an Uncharted 3 story sequence with an MGS one: the difference is night and day.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

But that's the problem. The cutscenes aren't cinematic in the slightest. Would an exposition scene go on for thirty minutes in a film? No. Unless it's a really, really bad film. There are some great ideas and moments in the MGS series, no doubt about it. But so much of it is hidden under turgid dialogue with no sense of basic editing or storytelling techniques. Even the pre-rendered action tends to go on way too long.

Cutscenes are a cheap way of telling a game story in any case, although they can be handled with care. You just need to compare an Uncharted 3 story sequence with an MGS one: the difference is night and day.

Ah now let's not go overboard. I agree with you that the cutscenes have gone on too long at times. In MGS4 we had extensive cutscenes on what were just pretty much conversation pieces that could have been dealt with more efficiently in the Codec.

To give the series credit though, the battle with Rex in MGS1, the escape with Eva in MGS3 and the opening to the Snake story on MGS2 were exceptional cutscenes. In fact I also recall when the cutscene of Snake escaping the ship in MGS2 was played around a decade ago at E3 it reportedly brought many in the room to tears.

It's unfortunate that Kojima has tended to reduce us to tears in the wrong way with some of the more absurd elements like the AI stuff before the final battle in MGS2 and Liquid Snake taking over Ocelot's arm and so on, but as I say I think it's about making sure the whackiness is filtered to a healthy amount. Would MGS be as entertaining without this, or the cutscenes? Not for me anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I really don't mind the wackiness at all. It's the god awful writing and how long you have to sit through it in MGS2 and especially MGS4 that bog the whole thing down. Wackiness is entertaining, those cutscenes are just boring.

Ah now let's not go overboard. I agree with you that the cutscenes have gone on too long at times. In MGS4 we had extensive cutscenes on what were just pretty much conversation pieces that could have been dealt with more efficiently in the Codec.

To give the series credit though, the battle with Rex in MGS1, the escape with Eva in MGS3 and the opening to the Snake story on MGS2 were exceptional cutscenes. In fact I also recall when the cutscene of Snake escaping the ship in MGS2 was played around a decade ago at E3 it reportedly brought many in the room to tears.

It's unfortunate that Kojima has tended to reduce us to tears in the wrong way with some of the more absurd elements like the AI stuff before the final battle in MGS2 and Liquid Snake taking over Ocelot's arm and so on, but as I say I think it's about making sure the whackiness is filtered to a healthy amount. Would MGS be as entertaining without this, or the cutscenes? Not for me anyway.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of the series in general - I'm very fond of MGS1, 2 (that glorious demo!), 3 and Peace Walker. When you're actually playing, it's easily my favourite stealth-em-up or whatever you want to label it.

But the cutscenes are a huge blackmark against the series. Same with the endless Codec conversations. I'll admit some are great - the aforementioned MGS3 chase certainly stands out - but they're a minority hidden amongst reams of exposition. There's a cool story in there - the delivery just sucks all interest out of it IMO. Frickin' frying eggs!

The wackiness is fun, the easter eggs are usually a (very strange) laugh, and there are usually plenty of gameplay highlights throughout. I even liked the presentation of that final fight in MGS4 as it flashed through the franchise history in a very well presented way. It's just a damn shame all those moments are only available between hours of stunted dialogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I love Codec calls.

Well, the OPTIONAL ones, anyway.
    They're usually funny while being expository.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I love Codec calls.

Well, the OPTIONAL ones, anyway.
    They're usually funny while being expository.

The ones that go into way too much detail? Love them as well. MGS3 was the best in that regard. You had loads of experts that you really didn't have to call at all during the game and hardly ever interrupted you but the conversations with them were excellent.

Mgs2 ones were the funniest

Colonel telling me to turn off the consoles.. I actually did :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,687 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I would comment but everybody knows that Retro has said everything I'd say about the series.

MGS4 was a huge disapointment, more so if you got the special edition of MGS3 so not only did you have a better story but also the same camera mechanics they'd later use in mgs4. So really all mgs4 brought to the series were those god awful painfully long briefing segments.

Wonder if it will be another ps3 exclusive?

I bought my last two playstation consoles for MGS but 4 was such a huge disappointment that after my console was stolen I didnt bother replacing it (though Valkyrie Chronicles sorely tempted me especially as I was 2/3rds through the game when we got robbed)

I'm not in the mood to rebuy it for mgs5 though. So if it comes out for pc or 360 I'll be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,769 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Mgs2 ones were the funniest

Colonel telling me to turn off the consoles.. I actually did :pac::pac:

"Raiden something happened to me last Thursday when I was driving home. I had a couple of miles to go - I looked up and saw a glowing orange object in the sky, to the east! It was moving very irregularly... suddenly there was intense light all around me - and when I came to, I was home. What do you think happened to me?"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    I would comment but everybody knows that Retro has said everything I'd say about the series.

MGS4 was a huge disapointment, more so if you got the special edition of MGS3 so not only did you have a better story but also the same camera mechanics they'd later use in mgs4. So really all mgs4 brought to the series were those god awful painfully long briefing segments.

Wonder if it will be another ps3 exclusive?

I bought my last two playstation consoles for MGS but 4 was such a huge disappointment that after my console was stolen I didnt bother replacing it (though Valkyrie Chronicles sorely tempted me especially as I was 2/3rds through the game when we got robbed)

I'm not in the mood to rebuy it for mgs5 though. So if it comes out for pc or 360 I'll be happy.

I too also bought the PS2 and PS3 with MGS in mind. I actually remember hearing alot of people did the same with MGS2 and PS2. Buying the console on launch even tho MGS2 wouldnt be out for months. Kinda goes to show the drawing power it had.

As for MGS4, i agree. It was a let down. Its still a good game in its own right. But it was definitely missing something the others had.

The MGS E3 showing for the PS2 looked phenomenal, people thought it was prerendered it was that far ahead of anything at the time. It sold a lot of PS2's even though the game took ages to come out.

And that ZoE demo (in glorious original Japanese dialogue). I remember my cousin who was working in Xtravision at the time saying so many people were coming in to rent out ZoE just for the demo. He proceeded to just hand me the demo for keeps.

I knew every nook and cranny of that ship level before long.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

The MGS E3 showing for the PS2 looked phenomenal, people thought it was prerendered it was that far ahead of anything at the time. It sold a lot of PS2's even though the game took ages to come out.

I would actually say the graphics (especially the HD remakes) are extremely similar to MGS4. They really were outstanding.

edit: also it was the reason I bought a PS2. The plot was ridiculous but the game itself was fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

And that ZoE demo (in glorious original Japanese dialogue). I remember my cousin who was working in Xtravision at the time saying so many people were coming in to rent out ZoE just for the demo. He proceeded to just hand me the demo for keeps.

I knew every nook and cranny of that ship level before long.

I bought ZoE for that demo, played loads. Luckily, ZoE was a good game too!

I hate the way Kojima / Konami reveal their games years before release.

MGS4 was first shown in October 2005. Didnt come out till June 2008. Thats mental. He'll probably do the same with MGS5. Show it at e3 2012 with a release date of summer 2018 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

LighterGuy wrote: »
    I hate the way Kojima / Konami reveal their games years before release.

MGS4 was first shown in October 2005. Didnt come out till June 2008. Thats mental. He'll probably do the same with MGS5. Show it at e3 2012 with a release date of summer 2018 :pac:

MGS3 was the worst. I remember seeing a trailer and then it didn't come out for years! (Well it felt like years :P)

But to be fair you hear about most games about 2 years before they come out.

Shamelessly stolen from the GameTrailers forum, which in turn is quoted from the next issue of Playstation Official Magazine:
    Kojima Productions will "probably" make a Metal Gear Solid 5, according to Hideo Kojima. When that is-they have not a clue.

"I think we'll probably have to make it at some point, but what that will be, we have no idea," said Kojima, speaking to the latest issue of Official PlayStation Magazine UK.

"As far as my involvement in the project is concerned, [it] probably won't be as much as it was with MGS1 - maybe I can do just one stage! For MGS1 I made the maps myself, laid out the enemy routes myself, did everything hands-on - that level I can't do again."

Though, as Kojima points out, that approach didn't work with the series' last numbered feat, Metal Gear Solid 4.

"I intended to take it to a certain point and then hand it off, but that didn't work, because it's hard to convey the concept to other people then have them take the reins and carry on and preserve that vision."

So Kojima has a different solution.

"That's why it's easier to have them come up with everything from the start and then take it to the end."

ncOPMUKMGS5.jpg

The Kojima cover issue of Official PlayStation Magazine is out on November 29th.

The official word is MGS5 is NOT in development (Lets be honest, it is I reckon but thats the official word for now)

I'd say they are working on a new engine for next gen machines. There's a lot of games getting announced for the next wave of consoles. I'd put money on Kojima productions getting a head start developing a propriatory engine for Konami that will be used in the next game like the MGS2 engine was for them in the PS2 era. They were very late with the MGS4 engine and couldn't utilise it in many games.

• Advertisement

I'd say they are working on a new engine for next gen machines. There's a lot of games getting announced for the next wave of consoles. I'd put money on Kojima productions getting a head start developing a propriatory engine for Konami that will be used in the next game like the MGS2 engine was for them in the PS2 era. They were very late with the MGS4 engine and couldn't utilise it in many games.

Yup called the fox engine

still reckon it be on the ps4 and xbox 720

Advertisement