Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decent but cheap Running Watch?

Options
  • 18-11-2011 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭

Hey there,

I know someone has a similar thread running but I didn't want to hijack it!

I'm looking for recommendations for cheap but good watches that track you heart rate cals etc while you're running as a pressie for a loved one?

Does anyone know of any decent models that don't break the bank, the cheaper the better!!:) Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

bedlam wrote: »
    What is your upper limit for "cheap"?

Less than 100 defo, less then 60 would be excellent, may be a tall order I know!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Amazon.co.uk is your friend. Or maybe this is what you might like to buy:http://www.hssroi.groupscheme.com/content/group-scheme-hot-deals/blue-heart-rate-roi/633

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Which is more important for you - measuring heart rate, or measuring running distance and speed? Do you want something that you can wear as a watch while not running, or is it okay to get something thatyou take off when you finish the run?
    Polar make better HRMs, maybe something like this or this?
    Garmin make better GPS watches. This is something you could wear anywhere, while this is cheaper, and has lots more features, but you'd only wear it running.

Amazon.co.uk is your friend. Or maybe this is what you might like to buy:http://www.hssroi.groupscheme.com/content/group-scheme-hot-deals/blue-heart-rate-roi/633
    €60 is probably a tall order indeed. As with my other thread, Garmin are a good bet. You can get a Garmin Forerunner 205 for £82 from Amazon.

While you are looking for a watch I think this request might be better suited to the A/R/T gear and equipment forum so I'm going to move it there (unless the A/R/T mods say otherwise, in which case throw it back to W&T).
    RayCun wrote: »
    Which is more important for you - measuring heart rate, or measuring running distance and speed? Do you want something that you can wear as a watch while not running, or is it okay to get something thatyou take off when you finish the run?
    Polar make better HRMs, maybe something like this or this?
    Garmin make better GPS watches. This is something you could wear anywhere, while this is cheaper, and has lots more features, but you'd only wear it running.

Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated!

It's more a watch just for running as my boyfriend has recently taken it up again, I know with the budget it's going to have less features but it's more for a starter and then if it's well used and loved it can be upgraded when I've more money:) I already have him loads of other stuff so I can't afford tons for it as much as I would like to:(

I mean that Blue Heart Rate Sports watch is a great price but does that mean it's poor quality, do any of you have experience with it?

I really like the Garmin Forerunners, I'll just have to assess my funds! I want to get a decent watch as it's for him and I do want it to be perfect, just we have a bit of a budget this year and I want to get the best for the money and make him really happy with it!

I'd appreciate your opinions on the cheaper watch versus the Garmin Forerunner!

Linguo wrote: »
    I mean that Blue Heart Rate Sports watch is a great price but does that mean it's poor quality, do any of you have experience with it?

never heard of it. There are plenty of cheap HRM watches around - Aldi/lidl sell them regularly, I'm sure you can get them in Argos - but the Polar ones are the best.

• Advertisement

Looking at the Garmin Forerunner FR60 now...anyone used it?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

€60 is probably a tall order indeed. As with my other thread, Garmin are a good bet. You can get a Garmin Forerunner 205 for £82 from Amazon.
    Ironically, the one thing that the Garmin 205 doesn't do, is Heart rate monitoring. So if the OP is fixated on a HR monitor, you'd be better off looking at either the Forerunner 305, or one of the cheaper Polar watches.

Unfortunately I'd love one that showed heart rate, cals and also did lap times...very tall order I know!!:o

The Polar RS100 is a nice watch - I had one, until the OH nicked it :) - and will show heart rate, cals, and lap times.
    It doesn't have a GPS, so it won't show distance run or pace. But if they're not important to you...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

wheres is the best place in dublin city centre to buy running watches?

• Advertisement

daheff wrote: »
    wheres is the best place in dublin city centre to buy running watches?
    Amazon.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

i didnt realise they had a shop in dublin city centre! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭paulo6891

handtec.co.uk

daheff wrote: »
    i didnt realise they had a shop in dublin city centre! :D
    Try Amphibian King, WheelWorx, Sub4.ie, Great Outdoors, etc. Don't expect Amazon prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

If you know someone going to the US then a refurb of the last gen garmin is the way to go.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0011UNMIK/ref=dp_olp_refurbished?ie=UTF8&qid=1326206301&sr=8-1&condition=refurbished

111 euro for a watch and HRM that you would pay a lot more for here.

refurb garmin's come with waranty

Advertisement