Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things to see in Wexford?!

Options
  • 18-11-2011 12:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

Hello all in Wexford!

I am travelling up to Wexford soon and as I have never been there before I was wondering what things that I could visit or do while I am there. I like historical places like museums/monuments and things like the Wexford Pikemen would really interest me. I will be staying in Wexford Town so any places nearby would be great to know about. I have never been to Wexford and am looking forward to learn about the place and figure learning more about my own country is better than going foreign! Anything to do with Irish history interests me so any pointers would be greatly appreciated!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Down South

Www.visitwexford.ie

Hello all in Wexford!

I am travelling up to Wexford soon and as I have never been there before I was wondering what things that I could visit or do while I am there. I like historical places like museums/monuments and things like the Wexford Pikemen would really interest me. I will be staying in Wexford Town so any places nearby would be great to know about. I have never been to Wexford and am looking forward to learn about the place and figure learning more about my own country is better than going foreign! Anything to do with Irish history interests me so any pointers would be greatly appreciated!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Lots of errors and omissions on that website but it's better than Enniscorthy's shambolic joke which now appears disabled. :rolleyes:

http://79.170.40.7/inactive.cgi?site=enniscorthytourism.com;key=6252a3ec59235f7dcd83ac1a86bf7730

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

If it's 1798 you're interested in it might be worth a trip up to Enniscorthy. It's a while since I was there but the museum in Enniscorthy Castle might be worth a shot, there's also the 1798 centre in the same town, another obvious one would be the battle site at Vinegar Hill but might not be the best time of year for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭jordata

Would the Hook Peninsula be too far out of your way? It is well worth the trip if you have time.

Hook lighthouse - great spot, lighthouse is very interesting. €15 family ticket. Great picnic area and breathtaking walks. There's a coffee shop too for a well deserved cuppa! You might see a whale or 2.

Tintern Abbey - just outside the village of Saltmills. €8 for a family ticket. No guided tours or tea rooms but a good spot. You go round the abbey yourself. There are good picnic spots and plenty of forest walks.

Ballyhack Castle - just up the road from Duncannon. The ferry to Passage East also goes from here. There is no entrance fee at the moment to the castle. The tour guide is brilliant, he really loved his job and it showed. Tour only takes about 30 minutes but well worth doing esp if you're in Duncannon.

Duncannon Fort - There is a maritime museum, art gallery, craft shop.

Head back to New Ross and there is Kennedy park, for miles and miles of walks and the Kennedy homestead for history.

In New Ross itself there is the Dunbrody famine ship.

Loads to do but please check about off-peak open hours. Hook lighthouse & Dunbrody famine ship are open all year but not sure about others.

Enjoy!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

Saltee islands for me, but probably no boats this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Jelly2

If you just want to walk around the grounds of Tintern Abbey, it is free. You only pay to get into the abbey itself.

Also try Dunbrody Abbey - lovely place, and a nice teashop.

Carrigburne hill is lovely, on the Wexford-New Ross road. It's 1798 historic because the rebels camped there, and has an old hedgeschool and mass rock, with lovely walks also. Nearby there is also an old forge used in the 1798 rebellion, as well as the site of a massacre (can anybody remember the name? Is it Ballyshannon lane?) - it's on a sunken lane, and there is a signpost, but I can't remember the name of the site.

Wexford is a lovely county - the beaches are also beautiful if you fancy a stretch of the legs, lungs full of clean air, and impressive views.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Johnstown Castle - Free in at this time of year

http://www.irishagrimuseum.ie/johnstown_castle_estate/johnstown_castle.htm

Link is for Irish Agri Museum which is in the estate and is pay in, but free into the estate and great place for a wander around the lakes etc. Only 10 mins drive from Wex town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 downsouth

Kennedy Park, Curracloe and Duncannon Strand are the best places to let kids stretch their legs.

If you're out for a few quiet pints in Wexford town check out Mary's, Simon's and The Undertaker. The latter is a great place to sit and watch the world go by in the main square in town.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

If you are coming from Cork, you can take the little ferry from Passage east across to Ballyhack. This will leave you well placed for Duncannon fort, Tintern and Hookhead.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

theres a free pull out on Wexford tourism in todays Irish Times

Advertisement