Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Older you get... less sleep you need?

• 18-11-2011 12:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭

They say (who ever they are?), "the older you get, the less sleep you need"
    As someone in their 40's.... I reckon, the older you get..... the more fúcked up your sleep becomes?
    You boardies got any After Hours scientific evidence to share?

For the record - I feel the need to pee at about 3:30.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 813 ✭✭✭wiger toods

earpiece wrote: »
    As someone in their 40's.... I reckon, the older you get..... the more fúcked up your sleep becomes?

and again at 3.40:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭earpiece

and again at 3.40:pac:

Only on Tuesday's.... 'cause that's Boner night!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I reckon it's true. Babies need the most sleep. Old people are known for sleeping very little. My gran used to stay up til 4 praying or whatever, and then get up at 7 for mass.
    I'm well rested after six or seven hours' sleep. Eight hours or more and I get that tired from oversleeping feeling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Old people (70's+) dont do much all day, so done need as much sleep.

Younger people need more sleep as they're more active.

I'm young, not at all active but need 16-18 hours sleep per day with 3-4 naps in between, I'm the exception to the rule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

im 30 and i go to bed at about 2 and get up at 8 at the latest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭amacca

as I've gotten older I find myself more tired and I like sleeping longer especially the more relaxed I feel/get.

when I was a kid I loved staying up late and getting up early....so its the opposite for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

Senna wrote: »
    I'm young, not at all active but need 16-18 hours sleep per day with 3-4 naps in between, I'm the exception to the rule.

Do you ever cough up furballs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I think it varies, my Dad has managed on very little sleep for years but my Mam is always sleeping.

I don't really have a need to sleep but I just like to. I go to bed at about 11 most nights and sleep til 8. I've pulled all nighters and only slept for like 2 hours before and been grand though.

Generally speaking I think it's

Baby > Really old person > teenager > middle aged person > the rest.

I remember reading that teenagers need at least 8 hours a night or their brains suffer or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

OP, Get your hands on some of these bad boys, you'll be (literally) sleeping like a baby in no time!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adult_diaper

Can you give any indication as to when the involuntary dribble starts?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

That is arse ways. The older I get the more knackered I feel =/

I reckon you go through certain sleep stages in life, being a baby and when you're an elderly person you need the most sleep.

Abi wrote: »
    That is arse ways. The older I get the more knackered I feel =/

I reckon you go through certain sleep stages in life, being a baby and when you're an elderly person you need the most sleep.

Never said I wasn't wrecked during the day.... sometimes have a small nap on the sofa after lunch, not long just 15 min., but that's kinda what I'm getting at, as I'm getting older, my sleep is very disrupted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I get by on 6hrs a night or so these days, working at 8am tomorrow and will prob head to bed around 1. long as I get at least one lie in a week I'm grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭tiredcity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭weisses

Dudess wrote: »
    My gran used to stay up til 4 praying or whatever, and then get up at 7 for mass.

For all we know she was praying for a good night sleep :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

I get intermittent sleep for days or weeks on end then I recharge with a marathon 16 hours or so the odd weekend. I'm in my durty turties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

I love sleep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Never said I wasn't wrecked during the day.... sometimes have a small nap on the sofa after lunch, not long just 15 min., but that's kinda what I'm getting at, as I'm getting older, my sleep is very disrupted.

There is a difference between having disrupted sleep and needing less sleep though, imo. What I was getting at is, I seem to need more than I did when I was in my early twenties, for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Can you give any indication as to when the involuntary dribble starts?

It's when the dribble isn't only coming out of your mouth, that's when you really need to worry.
    For you, its should be a good 2-3 weeks away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

Does it get easier to get out of the bed in the morning as you get older?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Dudess wrote: »
    I reckon it's true. Babies need the most sleep. Old people are known for sleeping very little. My gran used to stay up til 4 praying or whatever, and then get up at 7 for mass.
    I'm well rested after six or seven hours' sleep. Eight hours or more and I get that tired from oversleeping feeling.
    Yeah what the hell is that about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I always though as you got older, i.e. real old as in over 60;), you needed more sleep?

PS. When my young lad was a baby he slept 10 hours max. Lucky you got an hour during the day.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Listen to your own body,sleep needs vary from person to person.There is nothing written in stone on the subject but a lot of guff from experts who make money telling people what they need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

I've serious problems with sleeping. I used to sleep in all the time and find it hard to get up, now I'm awake at around 6 every morning.

I only get 4 or 5 hours of sleep every night. So I do read a lot of stuff about sleep on the internet and came across this BBC article a few weeks ago.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-10819746

It's about research that was carried out that found that one good sleep in at the weekend is not enough to catch up on lost sleep during the week.

This stood out for me:

In previous research, Dr Dinges has found that sleeping six hours a night or fewer for two weeks has the same negative effects as two nights of total sleep deprivation.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 stauntj

i was always looking forward to the older i get the less sleep i need part of life, i mean, more time to do things, great right? Im 30 now.

What I have found is I can survive on less sleep but 9 hours is where i'm happy and connected. It can be an hour or two less if i don't eat late at night or expend too much energy(including sexual) throughout the day.

I don't have the link to hand but one study that separated people into two groups, one of which slept 7 hours per night and the other slept 8 hours per night, found that the 7 hours per night crowd got on average three colds more per year.

Sleep is as vital as food and people shouldn't feel guilty or competitive about sleep, just enjoy yourself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

OPs weak bladder will be waking up in a minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

I love naps, kids dont know how good they have it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

The older I get the more sleep I need!:o

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    Yeah what the hell is that about.
    My completely speculative theory backed up by nothing is that a long, deep sleep does to you what a sleeping tablet/drowsiness-causing tablet does - makes you more knackered.

One time when I took an exceptionally strong anti-histamine, I conked immediately and slept for 12 hours - when I woke up, I was indescribably wrecked, and went back to sleep for another three or four hours.

• Advertisement

I have never understood why ten minutes nap on a chair does me so much good and i read somewhere someone else made the same remark.There is no explanation sometimes.It's only a light sleep too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

paddyandy wrote: »
    I have never understood why ten minutes nap on a chair does me so much good and i read somewhere someone else made the same remark.There is no explanation sometimes.It's only a light sleep too.

I have never understood why people call lying on a chair with their eyes closed but are still awake a nap :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭thrilledskinny

TG for that, there are other people apart from my BF and me, both mid 30's who need redicululus amounts of sleep, and guess what 'still feel tired'

Saila wrote: »
    I have never understood why people call lying on a chair with their eyes closed but are still awake a nap :confused:

It's not that at all.I cannot help your lack of understanding.

TG for that, there are other people apart from my BF and me, both mid 30's who need redicululus amounts of sleep, and guess what 'still feel tired'
    Too much sleep makes you tired and isn't good for you. An analogy I read recently is the food one - you need it but too much, not good.
    Saila, a power nap where you actually fall into a light sleep sitting up is actually great for rejuvenating you. Going to bed for a few hours during the day just makes me more tired. The body is a fickle fecker in terms of how it reacts to sleep at times. I wish it was just a case of feel tired, sleep immediately til rested, wake up refreshed... but for many people it isn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

Maybe Michael d higgins getting into office is a good thing so. Sure he'll only need ten mins sleep at his age so he will be practically working day and night. Can only be a good thing I suppose !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Yeah its because your closer to the "big sleep" so dont need as much.

Dr John Doe1, Lecturer of Sleepology

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I generally go to sleep at about 1am and my alarm goes off at 7.30. I don't actually get out of bed 'til around 8am though 'cause I always feel so tired when I first wake. I quite like sleeping so I'll never be one of those people who hops right out of bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

Do most people really get eight hours a night?

I really can't remember the last time I got that much sleep in a single night, or the last time I went to bed at 11...I was probably 11 years old. I'm a total night owl and get on average 6, last night I got 2 and then came in for a busy day at work. Seriously messed up sleeping pattern. I don't have insomnia though, just a general disinterest in sleeping when it comes down to it.

Definitely need more than 2 hours though, fùcked today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

The older I get the more I love sleep. It's a much needed escape from this crazy world. I'm taking medication too that gives me crazy lucid dreams. Its like going to see a surrealist picture every night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Your writing skills are impressive for a newborn child.

• Advertisement

Advertisement