Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pre-Pay Mobile Broadband advice please.

Options
  • 18-11-2011 1:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭

I'm moving out to the sticks in a week or so and as I'll be there for maybe just a few months I don't think it will be worth getting into a contract with a phone company for a landline and broadband service. So, can anyone advise on pre-pay mobile broadband? Who's good? Who to avoid? I'm hoping to be able to use skype, will that work ok? Am I likely to get ok speeds 250 km east of Perth?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

I would only go with Telstra or Optus if you are in the middle of no where.

Generally Telstra have best coverage (they used to be like telecom eireann, as in national) but are more expensive and terrible customer service

Optus would be a good middle ground,

don't go near Vodafone - ever.

although 3years ago now, when I travelled WA (albury -> Monkey mia) I had rarely any reception with vodafone, but my mate with telstra had some good coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

hussey wrote: »
    I would only go with Telstra or Optus if you are in the middle of no where.

Generally Telstra have best coverage (they used to be like telecom eireann, as in national) but are more expensive and terrible customer service

Optus would be a good middle ground,

don't go near Vodafone - ever.

although 3years ago now, when I travelled WA (albury -> Monkey mia) I had rarely any reception with vodafone, but my mate with telstra had some good coverage.

Great! Thanks for that! :)

When I bought my mobile here I was told I had to go with Telstra as they were the only company covering Merredin. It's on some different frequency out there or something. You're right about customer service... had some dealings with them over broadband problems in the house I'm in at the moment. They are nearly, if not as bad as BT in the UK!!! :rolleyes:

Somebody keeps telling me how happy they are with Crazy Johns, not sure which network they piggy-back on though.... must go into a few shops this weekend and ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

You will probably have to get a phone with telstra that has the blue tick. You may be able to get coverage with Optus but they probably won't guarantee it.

We have a prepaid mobile broadband from Telstra that works in rural WA, it is slower but better than nothing. We haven't used skype on the mobile broadband though.

I would avoid any other network if you are going to Merredin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

ellaq wrote: »
    You will probably have to get a phone with telstra that has the blue tick. You may be able to get coverage with Optus but they probably won't guarantee it.

We have a prepaid mobile broadband from Telstra that works in rural WA, it is slower but better than nothing. We haven't used skype on the mobile broadband though.

I would avoid any other network if you are going to Merredin.

check the optus coverage before you go and if you find that you have coverage then check out the company that i have my mobile through, they are called liveconnected , the use the optus network , you need to be a mobile phone customer to avail of their mobile broadband plans , but they are seriously cheap and worth a switch over to if you have coverage out there.

Advertisement