Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ladies only

• 18-11-2011 2:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

Guys can leave now. This is about fashion. Am invited to a winter wedding. What to wear? Hate 'poshing' up. Can I get away with trousers and top/jacket or do all oul'wans wear posh frocks these days? And hats, I hate 'em too. Any links to show me what's right for my middle-age group. I notice a lot of wedding photos show all ages baring a lot of flesh, me no go there! I rather fancy a polo-neck sweater but would stick out like a sore thumb methinks. Would be easier to decline the invitation!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Guys can leave now. This is about fashion.
    As an exMod of the Fashion and Appearance forum and a totally dedicated ClothesHorse I'm a now have a sad. :(

If you are comfortable in a trouser suit then thats what you should wear. A wedding is a time for celibrating with the couple and it's difficult to be happy if you are uncomfortable in what you are wearing.
    Most wedding traditions are being laid to rest these days and unless the dress code is 'Formal' they anything goes as long as it's smart and dosen't clash with the bride.
    However the other side of the coin is that by wearing something outside of your comfort zone you are adding a sense of occasion to the day. Buy a hat, you WILL feel better for it. :) I can give you the names of 2 or 3 millinars if you want something custom made.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Thanks OG for putting my mind at rest. I'd have to go try some hats on to see whether I will venture that far or not. I've no dosh for posh so I'll be doing this as frugally as I can. I suppose Arnotts and Clery's for the hats? I know milliners can be expensive even for those itsy bitsy fascinators.

You'll find the usual OTT wedding (and Ladies Day) hats in the likes of Clearys and Arnotts. For something less traditional and more bespoke (and usually cheaper!) try John Shevlin - VERY reasonable price.

If you fancy more of a facinator then give Tara a ring at Tootsie Royale.
    Just noticed that she's re-building her website and found a pic of Mrs.Goat wearing her blue topper. :)

OldGoat wrote: »
    VERY reasonable price. :)

Thanks for the info. I'll hold you to this you know!:)

This is the last hat John handmade for me. €50. Cheaper then inferior versions of the same in M&S and Arnotts. :)
    picture.php?albumid=1433&pictureid=7678

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭sipstrassi

This is the last hat John handmade for me. €50. Cheaper then inferior versions of the same in M&S and Arnotts. :)
    <Image SNIP>

I am going to show this to my mother - she has been looking for this in her (very small) size for 50 years! Does he need to measure her for it? Would make a nice Christmas present.

sipstrassi wrote: »
    I am going to show this to my mother - she has been looking for this in her (very small) size for 50 years! Does he need to measure her for it? Would make a nice Christmas present.
    He keeps a fair few in stock. Hopefully you'll find something in the right size.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭sipstrassi

If you are really broke I got a lovely fascinator (I didn't even know that was what they were called when I went into the shop!) you could try places like Accesorize. The one I got was similar to one I was looking at in Debenhams. Mine cost €13 and the one in Debs was €125. Because they're cheap you can have a go at personalising too without being too worried about ruining it.

Thanks again all. I will be following up all advice. I remember my own mother buying hat shapes in Arnotts many years ago and she would cover them herself. Hats used to have sizes didn't they, like gloves?

Hat sizes are math geek fun. Use a tape measure to get the circumference of your head, just above your ears, in inches. Then, (heres the fun bit), divide by Pi. The result is your hat size.
    The average head is in and around 25 inches so 24/3.1415 = 7.64 and that is approxmatly 7 and 5/8ths :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,875 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Hat sizes are math geek fun. Use a tape measure to get the circumference of your head, just above your ears, in inches. Then, (heres the fun bit), divide by Pi. The result is your hat size.
    The average head is in and around 25 inches so 24/3.1415 = 7.64 and that is approxmatly 7 and 5/8ths :D

Well! I never knew that! I wonder who decided about the divide by pi thingy?

Hard sums!! And now my head hurts!!!!!

SHEVLIN MILLINERY. John says: avg head sizes are: Sml, 21.5" Med 22" Lge 22.5"
    Gents sizes can go from 21" to 25" The first being quite small and the latter being quite large!
    Mod edit: Ad deleted.

Mod Yes you have mentioned your name and address several times now. You have also pointlessly pm'd me (and possibly others). Old Goat gave you a mention, don't spoil the effect by spamming/shilling.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Guys can leave now. This is about fashion. Am invited to a winter wedding. What to wear? Hate 'poshing' up. Can I get away with trousers and top/jacket

I've worn trousers and long cardigan to a friends wedding.
    As it's winter, you could get some elegant velvet trousers in M&S. They had them on sale yesterday.
    I love velvet.
    When I become ruler of the Universe everyone will be wearing velvet.

Haven't seen velvet for years and definitely have never worn it. I remember my mum who was a dressmaker hated making anything out of velvet. Don't think it's for me really but will look at it in M&S tomorrow. It doesn't suit everyone but if I look gorgeous in it I'll let you know! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭golden virginia

i love Velvet too. Its so velvety,,its just... gimme more!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Beruthiel wrote: »
    When I become ruler of the Universe everyone will be wearing velvet.

Are we there yet..are we there yet...are we there yet???

Please don't close this thread!. I'm wondering now that Boyers and Clery's have disappeared from the city and Debenham's are having hiccups at the moment, what's left for Dublin oulwans like me who are an odd shape and height? I saw adverts for Oxendales, Fiftyplus, SimplyBe. Any of you lady oulwans giving your money to those companies, and if so, what are they like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭jos28

Please don't close this thread!. I'm wondering now that Boyers and Clery's have disappeared from the city and Debenham's are having hiccups at the moment, what's left for Dublin oulwans like me who are an odd shape and height? I saw adverts for Oxendales, Fiftyplus, SimplyBe. Any of you lady oulwans giving your money to those companies, and if so, what are they like?

Ah Jelly, don't panic, we'll sort you out. I've used all of those sites and have no complaints. However, I find that House of Fraser has a far better selection than most and well worth looking at their sale items. I've been to a couple of winter weddings recently and really anything goes. If it's before Christmas I'd be looking at buying something I could wear over the festive season. I've noticed a couple of nice dressy coats with seperates at weddings and they can look really well. Nice coat, trousers and a top with a bit of bling and you'd be gorgeous. If you went for the seperates, you could get far more use out of them. I like these coats from House of Fraser and they are not too expensive. I wouldn't be averse to looking at the charity shops either. Some of them carry a range of 'wedding' type clobber.

http://www.houseoffraser.co.uk/Therapy+Boucle+boyfriend+coat/226912340,default,pd.html

http://www.houseoffraser.co.uk/Phase+Eight+Carys+Coat/220472994,default,pd.html

http://www.houseoffraser.co.uk/Biba+Jacquard+contrast+lining+coat/209699612,default,pd.html

Well, jos, I've confused you as this is an old thread. I'm no longer dressing up for that wedding as it happened years ago. I'm just wondering what do I do for ordinary gear. I find House of Fraser expensive along with the likes of Brown Thomas and Arnotts. The usual Dunnes and Penneys are a dead loss. I'm now wondering about the mail order companies. But I would expect to be returning orders as quick as I get them as they probably wouldn't fit a shortie like myself.

• Advertisement

I didn't know that Debenhams were having hiccups! I was in there today and got a couple of nice casual things in the sale. Shaws have a good selection of outlets. I was in Dunnes today and got some surprisingly good casual stuff. They seem to have gone a bit upmarket. Still haven't been able to find a lightweight summer showerproof jacket though. I am tall and everything is too short on me. M&S are good and you can look at their online shop if you are not close to an outlet.

Well, jos, I've confused you as this is an old thread. I'm no longer dressing up for that wedding as it happened years ago. I'm just wondering what do I do for ordinary gear. I find House of Fraser expensive along with the likes of Brown Thomas and Arnotts. The usual Dunnes and Penneys are a dead loss. I'm now wondering about the mail order companies. But I would expect to be returning orders as quick as I get them as they probably wouldn't fit a shortie like myself.

Doh !!! Repeat to myself .... READ the thread properly !!
    I'm 5ft zero so I feel your pain. I tend to use M&S for work stuff, trousers and the likes.I always wait for sales or online discounts. I've a confirmation this week and I bought a jacket online from River Island of all places, a top from Debenhams and trousers that I have already.
    http://eu.riverisland.com/women/coats--jackets/jackets/light-pink-textured-blazer-jacket-673873
    http://www.debenhams.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10052_10001_043020696806_-1

I've given up shopping online unless it's really cheap of they offer free returns. Littlewoods do free returns so I use them a lot. I buy online from Debenhams because I can bring the stuff that makes me look horrendous back into town. Although it looks like that won't be for much longer. There is no one stop shop for us aging shorties, it's a case of trial and lots of errors

I was in Paco recently(branches everywhere) and I got some nice casual tops ranging from €10-€22. They had some nice lightweight rain jackets that might be worth a looksee!
    http://www.paco.ie/collections/jackets-gilets

Of all clothing I find Paco - closely followed by Next - tends to be short and snug fitting. M&S are better for size for me.

looksee wrote: »
    ..... I am tall and everything is too short on me. M&S are good and you can look at their online shop if you are not close to an outlet.

I'm so jealous of all that height you have going on there Looksee. I'm 5ft nuttin' in my socks. Debenhams Ireland are either in examinership or receivership but its business as usual in the shops until we hear otherwise. Thanks for the ideas ladies. I will get me to a Debenhams asap as some of those links are showing some nice stuff. And I have never in my life even set foot in a River Island as I thought it was for young wans. Maybe I'll slink in there too. redface.png When I was a working woman I bought all my work clothes in M & S. God be with the days when I always found something in Pamela Scott, but again its way too young for me now. I know a lot of people looked down their nose at Boyers but I used to get good winter coats there in the sale over the decades. Admittedly I would wear them until they rotted on my back so Boyers never made much profit out of me. I don't think there is a Shaw's in or near Dublin. The fellas have it aisy! :rolleyes:

I'm so jealous of all that height you have going on there Looksee. I'm 5ft nuttin' in my socks. Debenhams Ireland are either in examinership or receivership but its business as usual in the shops until we hear otherwise. Thanks for the ideas ladies. I will get me to a Debenhams asap as some of those links are showing some nice stuff. And I have never in my life even set foot in a River Island as I thought it was for young wans. Maybe I'll slink in there too. redface.png...The fellas have it aisy! :rolleyes:
    Ya think? Try finding mens clothes that aren't blue grey or brown.

Well now, I was looking for some bog standard plain teeshirts of a loose shape and long enough that I didn't look chopped off at the middle in them. I gave up on ladies and went into Dunnes mens' department. Well! Such lovely colours and great value at a fiver. I got one in a soft dusty pink and another one in a nice minty green. Only gorgeous. I am going back for more!

I am not used to fellas like yourself OG, the colourful peacock kinda chappie! Himself is usually a vision in navy blue, from top to toe, navy blue, and worst of all, he doesn't even care! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

LOL I know where to buy dye

• Advertisement

Just found out there is a Shaw's in Dun Laoghaire. You learn something every day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

Boden website is good and they have a sale on at the moment. The exchange rate is good at the moment too!

www.boden.co.uk

Haven't heard of it before, will check it out thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭meg3178

This is a good place for sizes. They have a store in Limerick. https://eu.gerardfashions.com/

Advertisement