Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

US Congress rules that pizza is a vegetable

• 18-11-2011 2:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭

PIZZA IS A vegetable – at least according to a decision made by the US Congress. Who knew?
    American lawmakers have ruled that the amount of tomato paste in pizza sauce means that pizzas can be counted as a vegetable.
    The bizarre move, which was decided in a vote on the annual spending bill for the Department of Agriculture, happened for purely political reasons.
    The crucial bill had oversight over subsidised school meals, and the department was seeking to restrict pizza, chips and starchy vegetables from the menu for school children in a bid to combat child obesity.
    MSNBC reports that politicians had been lobbied heavily by the frozen food industry who didn’t want to see a major revenue stream cut off given how often pizza is found on the menus of school canteens in the US.
    School meals subsidised by the government are mandated to include a certain amount of vegetables and the Department of Agriculture’s plan would have pushed pizza-makers at least partly out of the school lunch business.
    The salt industry, potato growers, and some conservative politicians who said that the federal government shouldn’t be involved in telling children what to eat, also lobbied against the change.
    After some debate, Congress voted that anything containing two tablespoons of tomato sauce can be labelled a vegetable, putting pizza into the vegetable category.
    The Obama administration is fighting to make school lunches healthier in the face of a growing obesity problem across the country.

http://www.thejournal.ie/us-congress-rules-that-pizza-is-a-vegetable-282033-Nov2011/

So, they wanted to restrict the amount of fatty stodge served up to kids in cafeterias and introduce more vegetables, so frozen-food industry lobbyists strong-arm them into classing pizza as a vegetable so it can continue to be served. *bangs head against wall* It's inane because even if there was enough tomato sauce to class as a portion, that doesn't make PIZZA a vegetable, because er, well, pizza =/= tomato.

PS. Yes, yes, I know tomato is technically a fruit. :pac:

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Only in America..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Yakult wrote: »
    Only in America..
    **** Yeah!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

I dont even...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Wetai

Including Pizza with pepperoni, bacon, sausage, meatballs, ham & beef?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

mmm pizza .... hmmm dominos open at this hour ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

I dont even...
    ... what is this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Miss Olenska

LiamN wrote: »
    Including Pizza with pepperoni, bacon, sausage, meatballs, ham & beef?

And crappy processed cheese?

I've no problem with kids having cheese, in small doses it's good for them, but not that processed muck you just know would be on cafeteria pizza.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I'll bet Jamie Oliver is crying into his pesto.

So where can I get seeds for this delicious new vegetable? I'll plant them right next to my coca cola tree...

Additionally I propose that over half the US congress is composed of vegetable...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

So they pass a law saying that children must eat veg at school, presumably to stop them junk food. They then decide to term a type of junk food a veg, in order to get around this?

Why don't they just be honest with themselves, as they are fooling no one but themselves.

Strange country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

And crappy processed cheese?

Pizza cheese is not crappy :pac:

I wonder how many slices is one of your 5 a day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

ah politicians are gas. the EU classed the carrot as a fruit for a while because you can get carrot jam in portugal, and it confused them so much since you can't make jam out of anything that's not a fruit.... apparently.
    eventually they copped on, just like the bendy banana rules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭Bullchomper

Next in the US of A; Yes - you can classify guns as stationery, they are paper weights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

The US Congress must be full of vegetables.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Wertz wrote: »

So where can I get seeds for this delicious new vegetable? I'll plant them right next to my coca cola tree...
    A pizza tree would be the best thing ever.

So they pass a law saying that children must eat veg at school, presumably to stop them junk food. They then decide to term a type of junk food a veg, in order to get around this?

Exactly.

Not strange really, just big business calling the shots. :(

Only if it was thin stuffed crust.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭CliffHuxtabel

Also Purple is a fruit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Dough!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Jagle

Exactly.

Not strange really, just big business calling the shots. :(

like how we closed off licenses an hour early to stop kids drinking...

right...

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Aliensdidit

maybe their planing on making their bases from potato?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

So can you boil it and eat it with your meat and potatoes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Wetai

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    So can you boil it
    Do not want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Aliensdidit

better than the microwave : /

kinda maybe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Herman Cane owns Godfather's Pizzas. (or was ceo) my nets too slow to check it. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭EKClarke

RichieC wrote: »
    Herman Cane owns Godfather's Pizzas. (or was ceo) my nets too slow to check it. :o

He was CEO part-time, the rest of his time he spent feeling people up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

pesto on pizza is fvckin savage :cool:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

ah politicians are gas. the EU classed the carrot as a fruit for a while because you can get carrot jam in portugal, and it confused them so much since you can't make jam out of anything that's not a fruit.... apparently.
    eventually they copped on, just like the bendy banana rules.

Did they actually change that back? I remember when it was reclassified as a fruit. Farmer being interviewed in the Irish Times about it said he couldn't talk as was too busy pruning his carrot trees.

NTM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Not one bit suprised from Yankville

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭jimmymal

what a genius big balls move by big business, and those lobbyists must be the cheekiest, funniest b**tards that ever did exist.

i did think of jamie oliver immediately hearing this and pulling his hair out, oohhh thats good tv right there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

It's free choice, the free markets at it's best. Corporations will act in the greater good.

Sarah Palin speaks sense.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Great so now people over there are going to believe pizza is a vegtable and probably get fatter than they already are by having five pizzas a day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

All vegetables are fruit, but not all fruit are vegetables.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭Tefral

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Reagan did it first when his administration said that ketchup was a vegetable. Saved a fortune.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

I realise that the US is really a corporate oligarchy, still, you would think they would be a little less brazen than they actually are, incredible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭mojesius

Carrot & Pizza Soup. Bleurgh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

US Congress rules that pizza is a vegetable

If they can class steak as a vegetable they might get a lot of uncommitted vegetarian votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

pesto on pizza is fvckin savage :cool:
    Peel on some 59 cent mozzarella from Dunnes and even the most frisbee-like frozen pizza turns tasty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

How does tomato sauce make it a vegetable? Based on that logic if I cover myself in feathers will I be considered a bird?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Did they actually change that back? I remember when it was reclassified as a fruit. Farmer being interviewed in the Irish Times about it said he couldn't talk as was too busy pruning his carrot trees.

NTM

This isn't really true at all, it is much like the 'curved banana' furore peddled by the idiotic redtops. The short answer is that the EU never reclassified carrots as a fruit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Brendog wrote: »
    How does tomato sauce make it a vegetable? Based on that logic if I cover myself in feathers will I be considered a bird?

It makes it acceptable as one of your 5 recommended portions of fruit/veg a day. It doesn't take into account carbs/fats/protein etc, just simply that it can deliver enough to meet that standard of nutrition. Like if a bodybuilder eats a steak or a dirty double quarter pounder from McDonalds after a workout, the latter is incomparably worse for you, but yet both deliver similar amounts of protein.

It just means if someones going to eat junk, then a few slices of Pizza is better, simply nutritionally, than a greasy Chinese takeaway, for example also. It doesn't mean the pizza is inherently good for you, far from it, but it's better than a lot of other similar options.

karma_ wrote: »
    I realise that the US is really a corporate oligarchy, still, you would think they would be a little less brazen than they actually are, incredible.

Nail on the head.
    It just means if someones going to eat junk, then a few slices of Pizza is better, simply nutritionally, than a greasy Chinese takeaway, for example also. It doesn't mean the pizza is inherently good for you, far from it, but it's better than a lot of other similar options.

Pizza = greasy. Chinese takeaway often contains a good amount of actual vegetables. Plus rice as opposed to processed white bread. I'd say Chinese is marginally better for you actually!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Pizza = greasy. Chinese takeaway often contains a good amount of actual vegetables. Plus rice as opposed to processed white bread. I'd say Chinese is marginally better for you actually!

Actually you're quite right, I suppose it depends on what you're ordering. Obviously if you're ordering Chicken in Sauce with rice and vegtables yes, but there are those that firmly believe in the infallibility of the 3-in-1 with a portion of chicken balls and prawn crackers. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Scram

Rofl that had me in stiches. Imagine whole fields of growing pizzas waving gently in the wind.

Poor Americans there so fat they want to call Pizza a vegtable now!

Pherekydes wrote: »
    All vegetables are fruit, but not all fruit are vegetables.

Ugh, botany-related pedantry. Seriously, who cares! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Vegans rejoice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

You're not going to believe this, but...they actually passed laws in some states making it mandatory to teach creationism in schools.

So the kids learn that humans started with Adam & Eve, then in the next class they study biology and learn about evolution.

You're not going to believe this, but...they actually passed laws in some states making it mandatory to teach creationism in schools.

Isn't this common knowledge? :confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement