Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

US Congress rules that pizza is a vegetable

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Big business rules america. Imagine classing dough with a fruit based paste and processed cheese as a vegetable.

God bless america...... and their fat children....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,827 ✭✭✭✭28064212

karma_ wrote: »
    This isn't really true at all, it is much like the 'curved banana' furore peddled by the idiotic redtops. The short answer is that the EU never reclassified carrots as a fruit.
    Actually, they did. However, the part that the euroskeptics always leave out is that the reclassification includes the all-important disclaimer "for the purposes of this Directive". Meaning that the only place they're using fruit to include carrots is within this single standardisation, because it's easier than saying "fruits (and tomatoes, the edible parts of rhubarb stalks, carrots, sweet potatoes, cucumbers, pumpkins, melons and water-melons)" every single time

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

28064212 wrote: »
    Actually, they did. However, the part that the euroskeptics always leave out is that the reclassification includes the all-important disclaimer "for the purposes of this Directive". Meaning that the only place they're using fruit to include carrots is within this single standardisation, because it's easier than saying "fruits (and tomatoes, the edible parts of rhubarb stalks, carrots, sweet potatoes, cucumbers, pumpkins, melons and water-melons)" every single time

Exactly, it was a directive because of the situation with Portugal, it was NOT a reclassification.

QI is great for this kind of nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

So pizza counts towards one of your 5 a day then? Sweet. Next they need to classify beer,tobacco and masturbation all as vegtables and I'll be all healthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

Warning : Vegetables should only be eaten as part of a healthy balanced diet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

You're not going to believe this, but...they actually passed laws in some states making it mandatory to teach creationism in schools.

So the kids learn that humans started with Adam & Eve, then in the next class they study biology and learn about evolution.

It was the same here when I was in school. One minute your in religion being taught god made the world and the next your being taught about astronomy and science. Quickly accelerated my scepticism of religion anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Brendog wrote: »
    How does tomato sauce make it a vegetable? Based on that logic if I cover myself in feathers will I be considered a bird?
    Close enough for After Hours. How you doin'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Reminds me of BRAWNDO - The Thirst Mutilator in Idiocracy. Next they'll start insisting on putting electrolytes into water.

• Advertisement

Hey look on the bright side, when they all die from diabetes we can invade them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Wertz wrote: »
    I'll bet Jamie Oliver is crying into his pesto.

is he still over there trying to pitch his healthy sh!t to tubby kids?

I would really like to see the episode made after this news came out just to see his head explode

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

1,337 posts at 13.37 ?

You've won a cookie. Don't worry, it's homegrown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

theteal wrote: »
    is he still over there trying to pitch his healthy sh!t to tubby kids?

I would really like to see the episode made after this news came out just to see his head explode
    No. The show crashed and burned. They didn't know who he was and they didn't care about his agenda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Miss Olenska

I always think Jamie looks a bit too doughy, pasty and generally unhealthy to be preaching about healthy food.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Jay Zus

So pizza is now classed as a vegetable in America? Does that mean a double- bacon cheeseburger + fries counts as 4/5 a day of RDA fruit??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

In fairness though, most Irish kids eat from centra deli counters.

The queue of young people waiting to eat a frozen baguette full of ingredients supplied by the cheapest bidder makes me uneasy.

Real home made food for the win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Pizza a vegetable ?

Duh, everyone knows it's a fruit !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭earpiece

Ahhhhhh, this is why China is the worlds biggest economy..... they know their Veg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

First time hearing about this. They can't be serious.

I mean i know they like their food over there but that's taking the mick.

There isn't a facepalm powerful enough to equate my feelings on this

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 252 ✭✭viclemronny

K-9 wrote: »
    It's free choice, the free markets at it's best. Corporations will act in the greater good.

Sarah Palin speaks sense.

Its a government subsided meal. They were lobbied by an industry, not a small firm acting as a price tasker in a relatively competitive market. They manipulated the law to suit their own ends using the threat of roundel of political funding as leverage.

That's not anything close to a free market system.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

I always think Jamie looks a bit too doughy, pasty and generally unhealthy to be preaching about healthy food.
    He looks like he dribbles on the grub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

karma_ wrote: »
    I realise that the US is really a corporate oligarchy, still, you would think they would be a little less brazen than they actually are, incredible.
    Brazen is right, man.

What appears on the surface as a zany filler story is actually pretty scary when you think about. I have no time for the whole NWO conspiracy rubbish, but this really shows who's calling the shots in the US, and they're not afraid to show it when their profit margins are threatened.

FFS, if I slather a bit of purée on a Mars Bar, batter it and deep fry it, does it count towards my 5-a-day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

No but a deep fried snickers might...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Your serious, its all dough!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

The fantasy of democracy in the US grows ever more tragic/hilarious when you haear stories like this. Place is run by corporations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Its a government subsided meal. They were lobbied by an industry, not a small firm acting as a price tasker in a relatively competitive market. They manipulated the law to suit their own ends using the threat of roundel of political funding as leverage.

That's not anything close to a free market system.

And industry will suddenly act ethically in a free market, yeah right.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

I was healthy today i had my 5 a day.... 5 slices of delicious pizza and some chips. Here's to health eating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

So the ultimate question is how much in kickbacks did the US congress get from the american pizza companies?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

K-9 wrote: »
    And industry will suddenly act ethically in a free market, yeah right.

What do you mean ethically? As in it will try and get kids to eat healthy? Not a chance. And it shouldn't. Up to the individual and in the case of minors, their guardians what they eat. Can kids not bring packed lunches?

ShooterSF wrote: »
    What do you mean ethically? As in it will try and get kids to eat healthy? Not a chance. And it shouldn't. Up to the individual and in the case of minors, their guardians what they eat. Can kids not bring packed lunches?

They can. Its the culture in America. Bad and all as it is here the US is far, far worse. An advertisers and corporations dream. Jamie Olivers programme about it summed up the difference in attitudes.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

But that's the parents fault to be fair. Businesses are there to try and make money and the state should keep it's nose out, unless it want's to actually hold the parents responsible.

ShooterSF wrote: »
    But that's the parents fault to be fair. Businesses are there to try and make money and the state should keep it's nose out, unless it want's to actually hold the parents responsible.

Some parents are thick ShooterSF, such is life and corporations don't give a feck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

It sounds like the real vegetables are sitting in Congress

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

I could be wrong here but they do have an education system in yankeeland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44,501 ✭✭✭✭Deki

psychward wrote: »
    It sounds like the real vegetables are sitting in Congress
    This I believe.
    altho a few years back they said catsup could be considered a vegetable. :)

Schools are required to serve a vegetable at lunch, so if they can call the tomato sauce the vegetable and the crust the bread and the pepperoni the meat and the cheese the dairy- there's your whole meal. Most school cafeterias make their own pizzas it isn't brought in but is made according to government standards. :P it is nothing like Dominos or Pizza Hut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

The protest opportunities from this could be amazing. I have visions of college idiots smearing themselves in tomato paste and picketing with signs reading "I am pizza".

Advertisement