Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subs bench, how do you fill yours?

Options
  • 18-11-2011 2:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭

Chat elsewhere about extending the subs bench makes me ask the question...

Who do you have on your standard subs bench?

Mine normally looks like...

1. Prop (lacks skill but has size.)
    2. Hooker (2nd string hooker.)
    3. 2nd Row (2nds.)
    4. Utility forward (can be short 2nd row, slow back row or tall prop)
    5. Out-half, scrum-half (has to have good kicking/hands)
    6. Pacey back for wings and centre.
    7. Pacey forward covering any mix-ups. OR fullback cover if number 6 is lacking.

How do people tend to weight theirs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Pretty similar to yours I have to say..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

Theres a sub bench?!

Unless theres a really important game i dont pay much attention to the bench, just make sure all positions are filled.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭satory

Don't bother setting my bench to be honest... Only times I do are when I get those annoying messages about a player replacing himself, etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

Oh, I thought 5 forwards out of 7 subs would be odd. What would Deco Kidnzer think loike.

I never really paid much attention before, but with injuries, etc. I've had a winger come on as hooker and other such annoying stuff, so now it's a must-check.

+ I think being on the bench takes some energy regardless of if they play, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

1. Front Row
    2. Front Row
    3. Lock
    4. Backrow
    5. Halfback
    6. Centre
    7. Outside Back

Other than that, I use my subs bench to conserve energy for the more important players in my squad.

• Advertisement

jprender wrote: »
    1. Front Row
    2. Front Row
    3. Lock
    4. Backrow
    5. Halfback
    6. Centre
    7. Outside Back

Other than that, I use my subs bench to conserve energy for the more important players in my squad.

Is one of your front rows a hooker, or are they both decent enough to fill the role? I've it based on the aul height, so I keep the shorter lad as the hookaaaah.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

Fewcifur wrote: »
    Is one of your front rows a hooker, or are they both decent enough to fill the role? I've it based on the aul height, so I keep the shorter lad as the hookaaaah.

I've got 5 frontrow players in my squad, and 3 of them can play hooker.

It all depends which guys are starting the game.

Sonny "Forever-Alone" Maisey
    18 y/o (R14, D1) | 64,248 CSR | $7,925 p.w. | 181cm | 139kg | Ireland
    Right handed, right footed, in decent form Stable.
    A collected player with controlled discipline, admirable leadership, and despicable experience.

Stamina: Impressive
    Handling: Princely
    Attack: Admirable
    Defense: Princely
    Technique: Sumptuous
    Strength: Sumptuous

Saverio "Saviour" Giannese
    25 y/o (R10, D7) | 64,688 CSR | $9,627 p.w. | 183cm | 130kg | Australia
    Right handed, right footed, in reputable form Stable.
    A conservative player with flawless discipline, admirable leadership, and moderate experience.

Stamina: Princely
    Handling: Princely
    Attack: Reputable
    Defense: Sumptuous
    Technique: Sumptuous
    Strength: Sumptuous

Traian "Choo-Choo" Novac
    32 y/o (R3, D1) | 72,680 CSR | $9,257 p.w. | 183cm | 121kg | Romania
    Right handed, right footed, in average form Increasing.
    A conservative player with controlled discipline, despicable leadership, and moderate experience.

Stamina: Amazing
    Handling: Amazing
    Attack: Admirable
    Defense: Princely
    Technique: Amazing
    Strength: Admirable

That's an impressive bunch of healthy lads there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

My openside and loosehead can cover hooker almost as well as my first choice so i normally have an extra back rower. Then again i've only 23 players so i've hardly a great choice in who sits on the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭flemishgael

I change depending on the style of play.
    Today I go for a lot of creativity so the bench is:
    1. a scrummie/flyhalf who used to be my first choice kicker but still adds a lot of punch even when my main flyhalf or scrummie are injured.
    2. Flanker....less skilled than the normal 2 but more disciplined
    3. Lock... who also occasionally played forward so second replacement prop
    4. Prop...can play either tighthead or loosehead and is more or less on the bench because he's higher in CSR than other players I have but not my best forward or hooker. Weakens the lineout a bit when he comes on as hooker but his weight adds to a better scrum
    5. Wing...going with creativity you need someone on the wing so he's my first replacement for the FB or wingers in case something happens to them.
    6. centre... a best that plays equally well in both centre positions that brings less speed and agility but a lot more defense. Usually comes on only when my usual centres are injured or when I play the B team meaning in those cases the game is won anyway so his defense makes sure I keep the other team contained.
    7. another wing as a second replacement just in case.

I find mostly though that I set 1st replacements by moving people around that are already on the pitch. A great loosehead prop usually does good at tighthead as well or at least better than the B man. The number 8 and hooker are harder to replace so I make sure I have a replacement for them on the pitch. A good scrummie usually does well at flyhalf as well and the centres usually can switch position as well.

I find tactics are way more important than anything on the bench. The keywords here would be: try not to need your bench.

• Advertisement
Advertisement