Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Old Scooters

• 18-11-2011 4:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 692 ✭✭✭

Hey all..

Ive been lookin at some old scooters / mopeds that are for sale for around 250 - 500 euro. Ranging from the year 2000 to 2005..

Im just wondering with a bike this old is there anything you need in regard to vehicle safety like gettin it an nct type thing or can you just buy a 2000 reg bike then insure it and drive around without any hassel?

Also regarding insurance,if you were to have a 2012 bike and a 2000 bike would the insurance on both bikes be the same if they are the same model? or if not how much of a difference could you be likely to see in regards to insuring an older bike?

never been insured on anything before thats why i was lookin at old scooters as its the cheapest way at the moment insurance wise

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

You can just hop on and twist and go. There's no bike NCT but you're responsible for it to be in roadworthy mechanical condition - you should get the scoot checked over by a responsible grownup to make sure it's not a death-trap ;)

50s usually aren't much fun and don't keep up with traffic very well - you should look at a 125 if you can.

It's been a good while since I had a multi-bike policy - someone else might have a better answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

I imagine if you are young then the insurance will be very expensive. They used to be loads of Scooters on the road but then insurance went way up so you don't see as many these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CyberJuice

get the scoot checked over by a responsible grownup to make sure it's not a death-trap ;)

Im 28 lol :)

Id love a 125 but as ive never been insured id assume the insurance could be around 1500 euro for a 125 bike?and i think id also have to do some on the road tests to drive a bike that size which will run the cost up even more? plus a 125 bike could cost twice the price a 50cc would cost me

A nephew of mine just got insured recently on a 50cc for 500 euro and hes younger then me so i would assume i could get insured for that price mayb a little less perhaps

thats really the only reason i was lookin at the old scooters as i could be on the road for about 800 euro total costs,where as i just assumed that with a 125 i could be lookin at costs of 2000 - 2500 all in.

mayb the money id save by goin for the smallest bike would not be worth the humiliation but at this stage i dont mind that,id just be happy to be on the road and off the luas! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭Fr Dougal

Do you have a bike licence? If not, you gotta include Theory test and compulsory training in the cost.
    Also, you will need bike gear so need to factor this into costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Jackasaurus rex

ring around to get the best quote. my first scooter was a px125 when I was 24 and I think insurance was about 700. dont forget to factor in safety equipment. I think my gear is worth more than my bike

• Advertisement

Fr Dougal wrote: »
    Do you have a bike licence? If not, you gotta include Theory test and compulsory training in the cost.
    Also, you will need bike gear so need to factor this into costs.

No licence,im workin on that now,as for bike gear if i get a 50cc i wont bother buying bike gear,mayb just a pair of gloves,if i got a 125 ill definately go all out and get full set of gear

ring around to get the best quote. my first scooter was a px125 when I was 24 and I think insurance was about 700. dont forget to factor in safety equipment. I think my gear is worth more than my bike

I rang up about 3 years ago for quotes on a 125 bike,think it was aon or aion or however its spelled,the guy asked me what make and model the bike was,i told him i did not know because i wont buy a bike if the insurance is not affordable..so i asked him could he name me a couple of 125 bikes and tell me the insurance for them and he wouldnt.so i ended up just saying what about an aprilla rs125 as this was really the only make and model i knew of at the time and he told me he wont give me a quote for a racing bike lol

so i kinda gave up back then and didnt bother pursuing it any more

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Jackasaurus rex

rs125 is about the most powerful 125 you can get. so wrong choice.some craic though. look up what you are interested in and ring up with make and model. ring aon, quinn, and carol nash and see what they say.

can anyone give me the names of some good 125 bikes that would be in a reasonable insurance bracket and ill ring up and see what quotes i get

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

CyberJuice wrote: »
    can anyone give me the names of some good 125 bikes that would be in a reasonable insurance bracket and ill ring up and see what quotes i get
    Suzuki GN125, Yamaha Virago 125, Honda Varadero 125 should be low risk, Honda CB125 as well. Start there.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

thank you,ill give them a bell on mon/tuesday and see what they say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 222 ✭✭defike

Go for a 250 to get the proper A1 licience.
    Honda cbf250 is a cheap one for insurance.
    Its not a scooter though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

OP, there are also plenty 125, 200 and 250cc scooters too - if its a scooter that appeals.

OP, there are also plenty 125, 200 and 250cc scooters too - if its a scooter that appeals.

a scooter definately does not appeal,the bigger the better,its just the cost of the bike an insurance that is the main issue here

Advertisement