Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! Which city to settle in?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Melbourne is a nice size, it's very easy to get around by bike or by tram.

I'm guessing you brought a bike over there with you then Dirk? Heading over to Melbourne myself in January. Is it a nice place to go for a spin on the bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

04072511 wrote: »
    Melbourne is the best by a long way IMO.

One thing I dont like is the bar culture. There's too many trendy pretentious bars, and many of them are hidden down laneways in the CBD. You really have to go luck for them, unlike in Dublin where they are everywhere to be seen. I wish there were a few more traditional style pubs here.

Hope that helps.

Yeh this is a fact! I've been in Melbourne for two and a half weeks - love it, but finding a Place to have a nice Pint is nigh on impossible! All there seems to be is cafes and clothes shops

What I wouldn't give for a few hours in mcdaids :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

Yeh this is a fact! I've been in Melbourne for two and a half weeks - love it, but finding a Place to have a nice Pint is nigh on impossible! All there seems to be is cafes and clothes shops

What I wouldn't give for a few hours in mcdaids :)

There's a fair few around. What are you looking for exactly?

I'm not a fan of Irish pubs but The Quiet Man in Flemington is a decent spot if you like old man pubs. The food is not too bad and they serve one of the best pints of Guiness I have drank outside of Ireland.

On a sunny day, Republic out in St Kilda is good. Also, Ponyfish Island, literally on the river in Southbank is great for afternoon pints in the sun.

If you like slightly grotty, British style pubs, The Charles Dickens just off Elizabeth St is your place. They show all the Heineken Cup rugby too, stayed open until 1.30am this morning for me to watch Leinster.

There are loads of spots in Richmond. The Richmond Club Hotel is one of favorites, go upstairs and out the back.

Little Creatures micro brewery on Brunswick street is a good place to spend afternoon sampling various pints.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I'm guessing you brought a bike over there with you then Dirk? Heading over to Melbourne myself in January. Is it a nice place to go for a spin on the bike?

I brought my city bike over to Sydney but while in Melbourne I was left using a friend's BSO, Christ it was awful.

In terms of cycling, Australia is pretty far behind Ireland in general. The mandatory helmet law is a pain in the ass, and you can see the impact when it comes to Melbourne's bike share scheme. Who wants to carry a helmet around with them on the off-chance they might hop on one of the bikes? Furthermore, a lot of on road bike facilities double as car parking. You can park on any street for an hour or two (they are signed), but this creates an awful number of obstacles and potential "dooring" situations. Think "cycling through Ranelagh" but having that kind of thing on nearly every street and you are on the right track.

Melbourne is actually lovely to cycle around though, the trams do create a bit of a hazard as it would be quite easy to make a mistake and catch a wheel in the lines, or lose traction over one in the rain. BUT, there are a lot of people out cycling, far more than Sydney which is still in the American mode of "I need a big V8 to get around the city".

Sydney is still a city that loves cars and the cycling facilities show this: off-road cycle paths force cyclists to yield to traffic coming from blind junctions, cycle paths take convoluted routes throughout the city, making navigation for someone new like me an impossible task. I have a map of all the routes and even then some of them are hard to find, everyday is like a treasure hunt for these mythical paths.

I've seen far less aggressive driving here though, buses and cars don't try to side swipe you or perform other dangerous maneuvers, I've had cars just sit patiently behind me and wait to overtake. It's a little eery at first. Still plenty of dozy drivers though, people pulling out from side roads in front of you.

In summary though: Melbourne is a lovely city to cycle around and there is loads to see. It's very commutable and less stressful than Dublin. But we actually don't have it that bad at home, Dublin is a near perfect city to cycle in if people were a little more respectful of each other. And I miss the Irish terrain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Melbourne is a nice size, it's very easy to get around by bike or by tram.

Lots of bike lanes and parks and the city is pretty much flat so great place to cycle around. Only downside is, like many cities, you have to keep your wits about you, people will regularly open doors in your path and knobs in utes sometimes like to try to run you off road, but I'd say overall its a great cycling city.

Tonnes of used bikes on gumtree/eBay. I picked up an old bike for getting around and pub/shop runs for $15 on eBay and it has served me brilliantly. The whole retro/fixie crap is huge here so if you are into that they can be quite expensive. If you have a decent bike invest in a good lock as theft is fairly rampant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 missbudget

I have been in Perth for 14 months and I have to agree that is is boring. I believe it's the people that make it dull. No one seems to want to leave their houses in the evenings or weekends to go anywhere. They all spend their free time with family. Which is understandable I suppose but hard for me as I have no family here. No one is interested in meeting new people or making new friends

I have tried to get my co-workers out for drinks on a Friday night and it's impossible. Finally, after 7 months, two of them came for drinks last Friday. I was home again by 8:30. Both the girls who came out are 21 so there's no issues with babysitters etc. They just don't want to go out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

missbudget wrote: »
    I have been in Perth for 14 months and I have to agree that is is boring. I believe it's the people that make it dull. No one seems to want to leave their houses in the evenings or weekends to go anywhere. They all spend their free time with family. Which is understandable I suppose but hard for me as I have no family here. No one is interested in meeting new people or making new friends

I have tried to get my co-workers out for drinks on a Friday night and it's impossible. Finally, after 7 months, two of them came for drinks last Friday. I was home again by 8:30. Both the girls who came out are 21 so there's no issues with babysitters etc. They just don't want to go out!

Good lord, that sounds horrific. If you are on a WHV, then move to Melbourne or somewhere else. That doesn't sound like any fun at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭dave3004

In the CBD, if you want a drink…... try

Section 8 - Just off Swanston / Lonsdale

The European Bar - Exhibition / Little Collins

Transport Bar - St Kilda Road / Flinders

Young & Jacksons - Flinders / Swanston

Curtin House (also called Cookie) - Swanston / Little Bourke

Anywhere in Southbank along the river (Ludlow/World Bar)

If you want an Irish feel there's a small pub called "The Irish Times" in city too. Quiet Man in Flemington is good and PJ O'Briens in Southbank is full of ugly irish people every night of the week too.

In St Kilda if you fancy a drink……try

The Branch - Bottom of Acland Street (Best hot chicken wings around)

Veludos - Great for people watching

Vineyard - Top of Acland Street and full of posers but good spot all the same.

Cushion - Fitzroy Street. Go to this place only on Tuesday nights during the summer.

Stay clear of the "Elephant & Wheelbarrow" in CBD and St Kilda. It's Coppers without the fun.

That's enough for now but the one thing about Melbourne is you will never have nowhere to go. Bars are hidden in laneways everywhere.

Getting in is the problem !

I was going to give you a run-down of the strip clubs but don't want some ban pie !

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Out of curiosity what industry are you working? I've found the Friday night works drinks scene to be the one sure fire winner to meet people here. I've a crazy amount of work friends and there's always people up for a night out.

To say 'no one is interested in meeting people and making new friends' is completely incorrect from my experiences in three different jobs over the past five years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I have no problem with Dave giving a run down running down the strip clubs.

Its not illegal or against Charter.

Fire ahead Dave

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

I lived in Adelaide for 5 years, it can be a bit quiet but it has so much to offer. Living there especially if you have small children is cheap and relatively stress free.

I you are in your 20s and want a more vibrant life, Brisvagas or Melbourne.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

I lived in Adelaide for 5 years, it can be a bit quiet but it has so much to offer. Living there especially if you have small children is cheap and relatively stress free.

If you are in your 20s and want a more vibrant life, Brisvagas or Melbourne.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

Yeah, I found it a bit odd that most restaurants close early. When we got here first we got caught out a few times and went home hungry and half cut because we just ended up having beer instead!! :o

And I know someone from Melbourne who has moved here to Perth and is aghast at the early closing times!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Zambia wrote: »
    I have no problem with Dave giving a run down running down the strip clubs.

Its not illegal or against Charter.

Fire ahead Dave

Yeah agree ... and maybe post before the Mod's Xmas party :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15 missbudget

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Out of curiosity what industry are you working? I've found the Friday night works drinks scene to be the one sure fire winner to meet people here. I've a crazy amount of work friends and there's always people up for a night out.

To say 'no one is interested in meeting people and making new friends' is completely incorrect from my experiences in three different jobs over the past five years.

I guess I need to get into a different sector. I work in office administration and have been in the Department of Education for 7 months now. I spent one year in Brisbane and managed to infiltrate my friend's Friday Night Drinks crowd and was out every Friday without fail. There isn't the same atmosphere in Perth though. My partner works as an engineer in a refrigeration company and has not had any luck dragging his colleagues for drinks either!

Was kinda joking about the strip clubs but I've been to a few anyway.

Spearmint Rhinos - It's normally free entry before 10pm most nights (I think you have to tell the cashier/bouncers that you seen a mobile advert for free admission to get in though).
    Its really spacious, the girls are very pretty and very different from each other.

There is generally lots of space and few clients. Drinks are cheap and service is quick but I have a major problem with this place……and it wasn't that no strippers fell in love with me :P

Because there are several strippers working and not many clients you cannot get a conversation going with your mates/anybody except for the queue of chicks looking for business.

I think looking back it is a very high-end strip club and I don't have enough cash / desperatino to be in getting lap dances every 10 mins. Good place, gorgeous women but too much hassle and atmosphere is pressurised. Couldn’t relax in there.

Its on King St where most of the other strip clubs are too.

On the other side of the Yarra, in Southbank, aroudn the corner from the excellent hostel Urban Central is Kittens.

You could walk by this place and think it’s a shed but its not…..au contraire…..the place is hopping 24/7.

Kittens is a lower brow strip club but with more fun.

It's normally full of young lads, after a night out, p!shed outta their head oggling chicks on stage. Nothing new there.

But its not for the businessman with a horny client. Its basically a large pub, club. Drinks are normal price at the bar.

There's a main stage which everyone is glued to. The chicks can bare all but there is a lack of strippers. The ratio is weak.

There may be 15 strippers and the place would hold 200+ so you don’t get the pressure of strippers coming up to you looking for business

If you want it you gotta go get it !

All in all a great place to go with the lads after 12 bells but it's not easy to get in with a few jars down you.

Will throw up reviews of other bars when I get to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭globalwarrior

:confused::confused: ..... unfollow this thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

I really hope the OP is a strip club enthusiast.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

dave3004 wrote: »
    In the CBD, if you want a drink…... try

Section 8 - Just off Swanston / Lonsdale

The European Bar - Exhibition / Little Collins

Transport Bar - St Kilda Road / Flinders

Young & Jacksons - Flinders / Swanston

Curtin House (also called Cookie) - Swanston / Little Bourke

Anywhere in Southbank along the river (Ludlow/World Bar)

If you want an Irish feel there's a small pub called "The Irish Times" in city too. Quiet Man in Flemington is good and PJ O'Briens in Southbank is full of ugly irish people every night of the week too.

In St Kilda if you fancy a drink……try

The Branch - Bottom of Acland Street (Best hot chicken wings around)

Veludos - Great for people watching

Vineyard - Top of Acland Street and full of posers but good spot all the same.

Cushion - Fitzroy Street. Go to this place only on Tuesday nights during the summer.

Stay clear of the "Elephant & Wheelbarrow" in CBD and St Kilda. It's Coppers without the fun.

That's enough for now but the one thing about Melbourne is you will never have nowhere to go. Bars are hidden in laneways everywhere.

Getting in is the problem !

I was going to give you a run-down of the strip clubs but don't want some ban pie !

This is why boards is great, cheers for the info :)

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

Great info there espically on melbourne. I read on another thread to stay away from melbourne because there is no work there but I read before that melbourne was booming. Does anyone know how the Construction industry is getting on there, is there much work going on?

Also Adelaide seems to be getting good reviews, but again is there much construction going on?

Also how feasable would it be for a couple to rent a place in a town like Karratha-Port Hedland-Geraldton, its pretty high rent I believe. Is there any DIDO work in these towns or is it all FIFO from Perth?

Cheers

• Advertisement

I think if you are looking for construction / labour work in Melbourne you will find it.

I have 3 friends here who've all gotten site jobs in the last month.

They all say it's better to get on a site that has a union BTW.

There are small little perks like better wages and weather work.

If in a unionised site, you don't have to work in heat 35+.
    You get a little bit more money too.

There are lots of other benefits to it also.

Also,

In Melbourne on Wednesday evenings durign the Summer try the Queen Victoria market.

From about 6pm til late there is outdoor bars, stalls with food and live music and dance classes and hundreds of ppl. There's tables and chairs and everyone sits around drinking and eating and the hustle and bustle of Melbourne's youth can be found there every Wednesday.

Obviously is even better when the weather improves. This awesome fun returned last Wednesday and 2nyt (23rd November) should be great too.

Hope ya get to check it out !

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

rightyabe wrote: »
    Great info there espically on melbourne. I read on another thread to stay away from melbourne because there is no work there but I read before that melbourne was booming. Does anyone know how the Construction industry is getting on there, is there much work going on?

Also Adelaide seems to be getting good reviews, but again is there much construction going on?

Also how feasable would it be for a couple to rent a place in a town like Karratha-Port Hedland-Geraldton, its pretty high rent I believe. Is there any DIDO work in these towns or is it all FIFO from Perth?

Cheers

You can do DIDO out of Geraldton, sorry don't know the name of the site up there. Rent is also reasonable in Geraldton. DIDO out of Perth and Bunbury. There are a lot of little minesites all over WA. Residential in Kalgoorlie/Boulder. Onslow has a few projects happening too. When you say DIDO do you mean drive to work everyday or drive to the site for your swing and then come home? If you are driving to work everyday it is called residential.

Rent is crazy in Karratha and Port Hedland, even in campsites it is difficult to get a place.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Melbourne offers so much sport: Too much AFL (so much that you'll probably get sick of it), the Australian Open, which is AWESOME, Formula 1 Grand Prix, Melbourne Cup, lots of Cricket, such as the famous Boxing Day Test and theres always something else now and again, like the World Track Cycling Championships which are on next April, and the Presidents Cup Golf which is on this weekend. The city is obsessed with sport (though a bit too AFL dominant).
    I think Australia is obsessed with sport. and most cities should have a decent amount.
    Sydney has an equivilent amount. Although popularities vary. Some AFL, more NRL, GAA is thats you thing. UFC has been here twice, won't happen in victoria. Randick races is no melbourne cup but its still a great day at xmas. Australian open (golf), Bathurst 500 etc etc
    We could go on all day and both have lots of sport to offer.
    Never said Melbourne had better weather. Just said that it gets less rainfall. And it is 3 times more in WINTER, if you would read what I wrote.
    Jun - august (winter) sydney gets 30omm, Melb bets 150mm.
    If you take the wettest 3 months in each, strange a diferent set of 3 months in both cities, its still only twice as much.

They both get pretty consistant rain. Sydney gets more over a shorter period, so I'd agree with the point about trickle down verses flash floods.

Anyway, I consider both cities to be wet. they both get their hot days and the weather is very similar.
    I prefer sydney, buts thats me. Ultimately everyone on this thread, positive or negitive is biased. The OP won't really know which is best for them.

In much biased opinion, Sydney is better because;
    It's a nicer city architecturally.
    It has far far nicer beaches.
    The city is laid out better. The pubs/clubs/restuarants are all very compact in the centre from the rocks to the east. With the "city industrial" to the north over the bridge, and the west. I found Melbourne a little too spread out and too relient on transport.

But again, this is just my opinion. Nobody can tell anyone else where to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

rightyabe wrote: »

Cheers

Think they are duplicating the southern Expressway (its currently a one way reversible motorway), worth a few years at least.

Advertisement