Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flea bites!

• 18-11-2011 7:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭

So my lads, a dog and 2 cats are done atleast every couple of months and we have never had any problems with fleas.
    This week I have been on work experience in a vets and have ended up with flea bites all up my arms I assume from restraining a dog for examination. They are itchy as hell but I didn't really mind, but I have just woken up to new ones, again only on my arms,and I wasn't even in work experience yesterday. What the hell, have I brought them home with me and are the fuppers living in my bed or have I transferred them onto my dog. The only thing is he has has a frontline not so long ago. Please help not at all happy, what should I do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭callmekenneth

get a flea collar, worked on my dog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Unusual for them only to be on your arms, especially the new ones. If they were in your bed I'd expect you to be getting bitten elsewhere.

I react to flea bites and have handled some dogs that were clearly crawling with fleas and haven't broken out or brought any home with me.

Any chance you washed with something at the vets that you're allergic to? I'd pay the pharmacist a visit and see what they say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

If you are only noticing them when you wake up, they may be bed bug bites - they tend to bite on the neck, face, torso and arms.

Also, spot on flea treatments kill fleas within 24 hours of being on the dog so if there were fleas transferred. they may have remained alive for a while before the spot on killed them... so, you could have been bitten by them. Best bet is to wash your sheets at 60 degrees just to make sure you don't have nay in you bed.

As Toulouse said, it could easily be a reaction to a cleaner or something you were exposed to in the vets and your pharmacists will be able to advise you on what to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Toulouse wrote: »
    Unusual for them only to be on your arms, especially the new ones. If they were in your bed I'd expect you to be getting bitten elsewhere.

I react to flea bites and have handled some dogs that were clearly crawling with fleas and haven't broken out or brought any home with me.

Any chance you washed with something at the vets that you're allergic to? I'd pay the pharmacist a visit and see what they say.

I agree the arms are a strange place to have them, I will be visiting the pharmacy tomorrow if I have new ones, Im fairly sure they are flea bites as I have had them before, stayed at a friends house once and woke up with them all over my stomach, also the fact that the bites are in close proximity of each other seems quite strange.

They only thing I would have washed with is hibiscrub have used it lots of times before, on different work experience placements and have never had an issue. Also I am pretty much allergic to nothing, never get reactions to anything.
    If you are only noticing them when you wake up, they may be bed bug bites - they tend to bite on the neck, face, torso and arms.

Also, spot on flea treatments kill fleas within 24 hours of being on the dog so if there were fleas transferred. they may have remained alive for a while before the spot on killed them... so, you could have been bitten by them. Best bet is to wash your sheets at 60 degrees just to make sure you don't have nay in you bed.

As Toulouse said, it could easily be a reaction to a cleaner or something you were exposed to in the vets and your pharmacists will be able to advise you on what to do.

I thought that too, but looked it up and it doesn't fit, they are only on my arms that is it, I think it may just have been a delayed reaction to the bites or something. First thing I did was change the sheets and hoover the mattress, so we will see if that has an effect. Thanks guys, still a bit freaked out by it.

Advertisement