Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD 90 Million Loan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

The loan to UCD will fund six buildings including the second phase of a science centre, the construction of a school of law, and the refurbishment and construction of student accommodation.

The others are most likely the new student centre and pool.

We pay it back through fees and research income and income from the pool/sports facilities I presume.

A multi storey is unlikely I would say. Personally I never had to drive around for more than 10 minutes to find a spot. Its all about knowing where to go ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

The loan to UCD will fund six buildings including the second phase of a science centre, the construction of a school of law, and the refurbishment and construction of student accommodation.

The others are most likely the new student centre and pool.

We pay it back through fees and research income and income from the pool/sports facilities I presume.

A multi storey is unlikely I would say. Personally I never had to drive around for more than 10 minutes to find a spot. Its all about knowing where to go ;)

There's a plan in the works for a multi-storey carpark in front of the water tower, which will be situated on the current wooded area and tennis courts. A transport hub is also proposed in the area adjacent to the sports centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

Hugh Brady should spend it all on cans for the students.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

There's a plan in the works for a multi-storey carpark in front of the water tower, which will be situated on the current wooded area and tennis courts. A transport hub is also proposed in the area adjacent to the sports centre.

That's definately a non-runner these days. I'm fairly sure that plan will be shelved for the medium to long term. 10 years down the line they may return to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Hugh Brady should spend it all on cans for the students.

What a a load of sh1t. This suggestion heralds no innovative, intelligent, progressive or inspiring urge to anybody except p1sshead wasters who should not even be in university. Bring back fees so the middle classes won't be as concerned about getting the cans in as much as getting the study in etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

What a a load of sh1t. This suggestion heralds no innovative, intelligent, progressive or inspiring urge to anybody except p1sshead wasters who should not even be in university. Bring back fees so the middle classes won't be as concerned about getting the cans in as much as getting the study in etc.

.....pretty sure he was joking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

Bring back fees so the middle classes won't be as concerned about getting the cans in as much as getting the study in etc.

**** fees just get rid of half the courses medieval english, art history! Whats the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

smk89 wrote: »
    **** fees just get rid of half the courses medieval english, art history! Whats the point.

An education...

L wrote: »
    An education...
    In medieval english. I don't know any jobs that require it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

.....pretty sure he was joking

Pretty sure I was joking too . . .

• Advertisement

And I didn't know education had to be about getting a job. :rolleyes:

More seriously, the costs of the arts subjects tends to be proportionately lower compared to those subjects in a science/professional degree. Junking them would probably just make the situation worse with regard to college funding as the average cost per student went up and the total cash paid over by the government went down.

Making a quick assumption (that given your attitude, you're likely doing a Professional degree), those medieval English students you dislike are basically subsidising you. :P

In medieval English. I don't know any jobs that require it.

Technically there's no job that requires a basic textbook science either.

I know physics. Hire me.

P.S. I'm being supercilious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

To be fair though, with the exception of the built sciences, engineering, teaching and the health sciences no jobs really require a degree. The idea that you have to have a degree to start off in a lot of entry level positions is bollocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

There's always one to spout this nonsense. You should read the many studies that show that places that foster creative thinking and the arts are the places where innovation happens. And they are the places that make money. Also, arts and humanities are fundamental to a university. Just because you have no interest in something, does not make it worthless.

If you want solely trade based learning, go to an IT or do an apprenticeship.

BTW I am not dissing ITs or apprenticeships.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭LovelyHurling

He said an education, not 'a job'.

Although having said that, I am largely sympathetic to the idea of at least downsizing the arts courses.

I don't see why students should be made particularly welcome in arts under the free fees scheme unless they are likely to make some sort of realistic or reasonable contribution to their discipline.

There's nothing wrong with studying mediaeval or childrens' literature so long as you are gifted enough to contribute something to the field. It shouldn't be a 'doss' course for stragglers.

And I didn't know education had to be about getting a job. :rolleyes:

More seriously, the costs of the arts subjects tends to be proportionately lower compared to those subjects in a science/professional degree. Junking them would probably just make the situation worse with regard to college funding as the average cost per student went up and the total cash paid over by the government went down.

Making a quick assumption (that given your attitude, you're likely doing a Professional degree), those medieval English students you dislike are basically subsidising you. :P

Of course education is about getting a job, read any university syllabi and you'll find job statistics at the end. Yes there is a need for some in certain courses but you don't see a national shortage of philosophers.
    Even if the cost of professional degrees is higher the returns are too, look at NovaUCD where 100% of the companies are science and business based.
    And also if you get a degree and get a job you could get straight out of school that's not a wasted degree but it still is a huge cost to the government to provide it.

And yes I'm a professional student but I'm from the north so I don't cost Ireland anything.
    Some bomb police stations to get back at the British, I hand them my university bill. :cool:

Of course education is about getting a job, read any university syllabi and you'll find job statistics at the end.

I'm afraid you entirely missed the point. The point of an education is to get an education and to learn how to think about things.

Picking up a job at the end is nice when it happens, but it's not what education is about when all is said and done.
    And yes I'm a professional student but I'm from the north so I don't cost Ireland anything.

Grand, I'll make another astounding oracular statement so. You haven't been at that degree too long. Why am I fairly sure of that?

You've the exact same set of opinions that I had when I first came to college. Give it a few years and you'll think differently about it. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

I'm afraid you entirely missed the point. The point of an education is to get an education and to learn how to think about things.

Picking up a job at the end is nice when it happens, but it's not what education is about when all is said and done.

Grand, I'll make another astounding oracular statement so. You haven't been at that degree too long. Why am I fairly sure of that?

You've the exact same set of opinions that I had when I first came to college. Give it a few years and you'll think differently about it. :P
    But why would someone (else) pay for a course with dubious payback to them? I can understand the basic graduate needs of a country can receive funding but not for something which is not bringing a visible benefit. It strikes me that some of these courses are indulging the passion of the student, and while that's all good, why would a taxpayer pay for it?

Bottom line I think funding for such courses should be cut and focussed on more needed areas. When we enter another tiger era we can come back to this.....

Of course education is about getting a job, read any university syllabi and you'll find job statistics at the end. Yes there is a need for some in certain courses but you don't see a national shortage of philosophers.
    Even if the cost of professional degrees is higher the returns are too, look at NovaUCD where 100% of the companies are science and business based.
    And also if you get a degree and get a job you could get straight out of school that's not a wasted degree but it still is a huge cost to the government to provide it.

How many philosophy students do you think there are? A university degree is about much more than "getting a job". Many students go to university to expand their horizons, learn how to think etc. That is what employers want, somebody able to think and view things from various perspectives. There are countless areas where such a mindset is vital. That is no different to science students taking jobs after a degree in areas they are not trained in. Employers will just see that they are trained to think in a certain way and take a chance on them.

BTW this topic of conversation is pointless IMO. People that denigrate arts and humanities with the "lol arts" type opinions rarely change their tune.

I've actually been in college for 4 years now originally I thought that if people like something they should study it. But after watching several fail to get any jobs even with masters I've become bitter and twisted. Its quite a cost to the taxpayer and only aims to create grade inflation where you need a degree (arguably useless in the field) to even get an entry level job.
    Many students go to university to expand their horizons, learn how to think Drink etc.

I fixed your post

• Advertisement

I fixed your post

I'm having a hard time trying to understand your post.

You are bitter because you followed what you like but the qualification that you achieved hasn't provided you with work, which is why you are still in education?

You are bitter because people you know followed what they liked, and by pursuing BAs (or similar) ended up without any career specific degree and thus unable to find work?

You are bitter because you see people pursuing BA degrees and feel that the tax-payer shouldn't be footing the bill when such people are (in your view) unlikely to be employed and thus not contributing to the exchequer after their education?

You are bitter because you personally have to pursue 3rd level education because grade inflation means you will not find employment without it?

You are bitter [something something] recession?

You should probably have pursued a BA in order to gain experience in expressing both yourself, and your arguments, in a coherent manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

Gone a bit off topic here...

Is getting a 90m loan organised this quickly after the withdrawal of government capital funding a bit suspicious? Must have been wheels in motion before the announcement I reckon.

I fixed your post

Wow you successfully out argued me on that one alright. Don't tar all students with the one brush.
    Just because you personally are not interested in something doesn't mean it is worthless. I have have zero interest in Ag Science. But I'm not going to go píss all over their degree, effort and career because it doesn't interest me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,661 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

The issue could more be taken with the percentage of arts students (no idea how big it is but it exists) who just lashed it down on their cao because its in a good university and in case they don't get anything else. A lot of these people have no interest in the humanities and probably don't even know what creative thinking means. A large part of this has to be due to the ridiculous size of the course (1000+) which pushes down the minimum points required. I am not tarring all arts students with the same brush but you cannot deny that this exists and is an issue.

I'm not denying that exists as an issue. It is actually the case for a lot of wide ranging degrees such as Science, Engineering etc. I think there are too many places in too many degrees.

Tayto2000 wrote: »
    Gone a bit off topic here...

Is getting a 90m loan organised this quickly after the withdrawal of government capital funding a bit suspicious? Must have been wheels in motion before the announcement I reckon.

Sorry about that. It does seem a bit suspect but then again if its been finalised and the banks are happy it must be viable and considered a good investment. But how will UCD have enough to pay for this? Its a sizeable sum.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Shane L

I'm not denying that exists as an issue. It is actually the case for a lot of wide ranging degrees such as Science, Engineering etc. I think there are too many places in too many degrees.

The first year for general science/engineering is large (~240 for engineering) but classes divide in second year I'm in ChemE and there is only 37 of us....hardly a wide ranging degree.

Advertisement