Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what e-readers are generally available to buy in Limerick

• 18-11-2011 10:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭

what e-readers are generally available to buy in Limerick, and what price ranges? Im thinking of buying one for my other half. I would prefer to hold the item, look at it, rather than buying over the web....and of course, support local business! I presume that if you buy an e-reader in Limerick that some of the main choices would be ruled out eg the Kindle Im guessing you can only buy online?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Daithi07

As far as i know, easons sell the kindle maybe some else can confirm that here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭DemoniK

Check out the electronic and computer stores and see what's around. Also check out O'Mahoneys and Easons - they may have some.
    The Sony range is probably the best in non-affiliated e-readers as it supports the ePub format, and the most widely available.
    But also check out the Kobo readers which are pretty good if you can find them.

Main reason you would choose a Kindle over the others would be the integration of the Kindle into amazon's store.. All your books are stored in the cloud, and easy to download over wifi or 3G (for some Kindles). Other ereaders you will need to manage your collection on your PC/Mac yourself as well as hunt down books that are available in the formats your ereader supports.

IMHO the quality and experience of the Kindle is far superior to the Sony or other devices and my recomendation would be to get one of those if you can.. I think PCWorld are selling it in store (could be wrong though).

Daithi07 wrote: »
    As far as i know, easons sell the kindle maybe some else can confirm that here.

AFAIK it's the Sony ereaders and an Elonex (Which seems to get reasonable reviews)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Tesco also sell the Kindle

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭jmch81

Tesco stock kindles, in the clothing and non food section in the cresent.

Edit: need too speed up typing on my tab!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Easons have the Sony PRS T1 touchscreen for €149 (€169 in Savins)

Currys have the kindle keyboard wifi for €129 and the 3g for €179

Those three would be the best models available. I'm torn between the two to be honest. The kindle is generally regarded as the best but in my opinion it looks horrible and plastic next to the Sony.

It's not just the looks of it that you should consider - but the responsive-ness of the screen to page turns, loading the books, etc.
    Its in this that the Kindle really outperforms the others

IMHO - there are 2 really good e-ink ereaders out there, and then Sony is a good 3rd. But it's the Kindle, and the Nook in the US that are pushing the tech along the fastest and it shows under use.

Not saying the Sony is a bad device - I just think the Kindle is the better device when using which is the most important aspect...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 76 ✭✭abyss

As far I know Kindle has "built in price" Amazon's replacement guarantee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭meg3178

I have a kindle with the global wifi and its worth the money. mine has the querty keyboard and is very simple to use. Your other half can easily use the internet in wifi hotspots and there is a wide choice of free books available on amazon. I also bought a cover from Amazon with an integrated light; this is a great buy. You can also add files and music to the kindle and listen to audio via headphones.

Advertisement