Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE Radio 1 - Apology, surely Firings will ensue?

• 18-11-2011 10:20am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭

So, Incompetents in RTE have cost the station total sums believed to be between €2 and €3 million

When you listen to the apology its quite clear that the 'reporter/journalist' Aoife Kavanagh would in any other country have ended her 'career'

Aoife Kavanaghs actions blew the equivalent of between 15,000 and 20,000 License Fees

The sheer juvenile arrogance and incompetence of all involved is jaw dropping

RTE Chain of Command:

Ed Mulhall - MD of News
    Ken O'Shea - editor of current affairs in charge of 'Prime Time'
    Brian Pairceir - executive producer
    Mark Lappin - Producer (Has 'left' RTE)
    Aoife Kavanagh - supposed 'journalist'

Will all and sundry be fired or will the waste of License Fee payers hard earned cash be rewarded?

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/1117/reynoldsk.html

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Doodah7

What in God's name are you talking about??? Perhaps a tiny bit of context would help everyone else not in your world...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Wouldn't hold my breath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 735 ✭✭✭sealgaire

tallpaul wrote: »
    What in God's name are you talking about??? Perhaps a tiny bit of context would help everyone else not in your world...

My god, come out of the closest and turn the TV on!

You actually saying you don't know what he is referring to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

sealgaire wrote: »

I dont have a clue either TBH, how dumb are we :rolleyes:

Not everyone watches TV and/or pays any attention to the cess pit that is RTE FFS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

sealgaire wrote: »

I read the newspapers, use many news sites on the internet. I haven't a clue either what OP is on about. Usually a reference would be supplied with any OP like this.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

tallpaul wrote: »

when you've removed your head from your .....

click here

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/1117/reynoldsk.html

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭The Rook

"
    Fr Kevin Reynolds, the parish priest of Ahascragh, Co Galway, was “grossly defamed” by RTÉ in the Prime Time Investigates broadcast on May 23rd, according to the terms of settlement which were read out in the High Court. The case had been due to go to a four-day trial.
    The amount of damages was not disclosed but RTÉ has agreed to pay both compensatory damage and aggravated damage to the priest.
    RTÉ has also agreed to publish the first correction order under Section 30 of the Defamation Act 2009 which will be broadcast on RTÉ’s Prime Time and Morning Ireland programmes and published in the Connaught Tribune , The Irish Times , Irish Independent and Irish Examiner .
    The lengthy terms of settlement, which took 20 minutes to read and stretched to 35 paragraphs, was read out in front of the reporter Aoife Kavanagh, the executive producer Brian Páircéir and the Prime Time Investigates editor Ken O’Shea. The producer/director of the programme Mark Lappin has since left RTÉ.
    Reading out the terms of settlement, Jack Fitzgerald SC, counsel for Fr Reynolds, said reporter Aoife Kavanagh had confronted the priest after first communion mass and accused him of sexually abusing a teenage girl in Kenya in 1982, fathering a child by the woman and abandoning the child.
    Despite the priest’s repeated denials, an email from Fr Reynold’s former bshop Philip Sulumeti in Kenya and his offer to take a paternity test, the programme was broadcast.
    Mr Fitzgerald said RTÉ and Aoife Kavanagh had choices prior to the broadcast and the ones they made was “utterly misjudged and wrong” and had an “utterly devastating impact” on his life.
    RTÉ was afforded every opportunity to review its position and remove any reference to Fr Reynolds from the programme.
    Some 519,0000 viewers watched the Prime Time Investigates programme which was heavily promoted in advance, and the allegation was treated as fact on the following morning’s Morning Ireland programme which had 338,000 viewers. It was also broadcast worldwide on the internet, he said.
    Fr Reynolds had suffered “irreparable damage” to his reputation, his life was utterly altered, and he was removed from his home and his community, Mr Fitzgerald told the court.
    Despite an apology, which was first broadcast after Fr Reynolds took a paternity test, the priest still feels “very upset by the damage to his good name, reputation and network of relationships both here and in Africa”.
    He felt personally damaged as a result of the defamation and the scar remains, Mr Fitzgerald said.
    His 40th year as a priest has been marred by the enormity of the “abhorrent crime of which he was publicly and globally accused”.
    Fr Reynolds was hugged by members of his family as he left the court. He did not comment.
    However, Fr Sean McDonagh, on behalf of the Association of Catholic Priests who backed Fr Reynolds in his action, said they were delighted that he had been “utterly vindicated”.
    “It’s his day. I’ve accompanied him from the very beginning and the pain and trauma being forced out of his parish, forced to stand down as a Catholic priest. It was vile and it was appalling,” he said.
    Fr McDonagh said neither Fr Reynolds nor the association had the means to take a High Court libel action and could not have done so without the case being taken on a pro-bono basis by Robert Dore & Co solicitors.
    Mr McDonagh stressed that it was a “good day for Catholic priests”.
    He cited the recent Amarach survey which suggested that 47 per cent of people thought 20 per cent of priests were paedophiles when the reality was the figure was closer to 2 per cent to 3 per cent.
    “Catholic priests have got a very bad presentation, unbalanced to the extent that the public think one-in-five priests is a paedophile,” he said.
    “If it happened to journalists, you would all be up in arms. I hope this is a wake-up call. We’re not asking for special treatment, we’re just asking for truth, fairness and justice.”"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

That is Prime Time (TV), whats the link to RTE Radio 1?
    And yes, I agree, heads should roll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

It's a 'Radio' forum folks....a little knowledge of what is happening in Radioworld is kinda of a requirement. :rolleyes:

I think all involved should resign their positions. Journalism of this type has to be conducted with the highest standards in place. That RTE ignored repeated warnings that there may have been a problem with the veracity of the information shows that they (RTE) succumbed to a media feeding frenzy at the time. The kind of frenzy that you expect of the redtops and internet fora, not the national broadcaster.

kc66 wrote: »
    That is Prime Time (TV), whats the link to RTE Radio 1?
    And yes, I agree, heads should roll.

Radio 1 - Morning Ireland were also involved in the action

they were forced to broadcast the apology this morning

Radio 1 Morning Ireland were not allowed report further on the matter

• Advertisement

Happyman42 wrote: »
    It's a 'Radio' forum folks....a little knowledge of what is happening in Radioworld is kinda of a requirement. :rolleyes:

I think all involved should resign their positions. Journalism of this type has to be conducted with the highest standards in place. That RTE ignored repeated warnings that there may have been a problem with the veracity of the information shows that they (RTE) succumbed to a media feeding frenzy at the time. The kind of frenzy that you expect of the redtops and internet fora, not the national broadcaster.

Radio 1 were involved... see above

the primetime prog was given extensive lead in on Radio 1 Morning Ireland

further relevance to Radio 1

supposed 'journalist' Aoife Kavanagh is a presenter on Radio 1 Morning Ireland

http://www.rte.ie/news/morningireland/aoifekavanagh.html

my friend wrote: »
    Radio 1 were involved

I know they where, I was directing my comment at those who where claiming ignorance to a lead story on the news for almost 24 hrs now while backseat modding a 'Radio' forum. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

I have to say this particular case is pretty spectacular. With the benefit of what has emerged as a result of the court case, it beggars belief how it actually made it on air.

In general, there has been a rush to the bottom by all media to occupy the high moral ground on the issue of clerical abuse. There wasn't too much of it going on during the decades that abuse occurred. Too late now to be going on crusades.

Unfortunately, it's hard to see how this can not be a career ender for the people involved in producing this show and does stop at the top. Honest mistakes can be made in journalism but it seems to me that it was reckless behaviour to broadcast this programme. Even without legal intervention from the subject of the programme, RTE's own legal team would have to review it. The credibility of the whole of RTE current affairs is called into question

Happyman42 wrote: »
    I know they where, I was directing my comment at those who where claiming ignorance to a lead story on the news for almost 24 hrs now while backseat modding a 'Radio' forum. :D

Appreciated, I was being battered by supposed clueless reactionaries and bit on their backseat modding

It's the story we can't avoid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

The only question im asking myself is: Through all of this they pressed ahead with the broadcast of that programme, why?

All morning im hearing how they had solicitors letters from him, video recordings of him saying he was innocent, offer of DNA etc so why press ahead with the broadcast if they were not 100% certain he did what they claimed he did? Poorly researched.

Every single person involved in the airing of that show should be sacked outright. Not just the journalist. The editor, Researchers, the producer, the works. Let it be a lesson in RTE that you need to have you FACTS in order to ruin anyones reputation like that. Some people may never hear the truth, remember money cant buy that.

I'd still love to know what RTE thought they knew.

BrianD wrote: »
    I have to say this particular case is pretty spectacular. With the benefit of what has emerged as a result of the court case, it beggars belief how it actually made it on air.

In general, there has been a rush to the bottom by all media to occupy the high moral ground on the issue of clerical abuse. There wasn't too much of it going on during the decades that abuse occurred. Too late now to be going on crusades.

Unfortunately, it's hard to see how this can not be a career ender for the people involved in producing this show and does stop at the top. Honest mistakes can be made in journalism but it seems to me that it was reckless behaviour to broadcast this programme. Even without legal intervention from the subject of the programme, RTE's own legal team would have to review it. The credibility of the whole of RTE current affairs is called into question

The more you read the detail of what happened the more you have to surmise that this department is run on 'hit and hope' basis. Any newspaper, TV station or Radio stations that would allow this through needs a root and branch review of practice and protocol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Pat Kennys show is discussing this right now with a couple of Priests, but alas we are not getting any chat about why RTE should be sacking people with the RTE Authority.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Bobba Fett

themadchef wrote: »

Every single person involved in the airing of that show should be sacked outright. Not just the journalist. The editor, Researchers, the producer, the works.

Sack the Sound Operator as well sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Very disappointing that Kenny swerved doing a hard interview with those in charge, wasn't even mentioned in the weekly round up at 11.30

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

thread closed as this is not a radio discussion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement