Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus Eireann - Dublin to Donegal Town

Options
  • 18-11-2011 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm getting a Bus Eireann bus from Dublin to Donegal Town this evening, and just wondering whether there's a toilet on the bus, or whether I need to dehydrate myself before the journey?! :rolleyes:

Also, it's not clear from the timetable where (if anywhere) the journey takes a break. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

what route number is that? or have you a link to the timetable?

unless its an express it should stop somewhere. any journeys over 2 hours are usually split.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Peckham

Route number 30. Timetable here

Getting the 5pm bus, but there's no stop indicated as having a different arrival and departure time.

oh that doesn't look promising, cavan looked most likely but don't think so.

I guess if you are really concerned you'll have to ring and ask what bus it is thats running and if it has a bus. Some do some don't and the ones you phone probably won't even know anything!

I'm sure the driver would stop for you if it was badly needed at one of the stations if you are desperate. (i've seen it done before with them stopping outside a pub even once!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Peckham

Find it difficult to believe that they offer a service of 3 and a half hours with no access to toilet facilities (either on board or at a stop).

Also, would have thought the driver would be required to take a break on a journey of that length.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

Based on this timetable it appears as though there's no stopover.:

http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1305642087-30.pdf

That said, I haven't done that route yet where they haven't stopped. Maybe it's different depending on what time of day you catch the bus, but if you're concerned, voice it to the driver when you get on in donegal so they'll stop if/where they can.

• Advertisement

Peckham wrote: »
    Find it difficult to believe that they offer a service of 3 and a half hours with no access to toilet facilities (either on board or at a stop).

Also, would have thought the driver would be required to take a break on a journey of that length.

i've got bus eireann (sadly) a few times and at least 3 times on the Letterkenny-Dublin route it didn't stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Joshua Jones

I get the 30 to visit a friend in Cavan. They stop there for 10 mins break before going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭colonel-yum-yum

Any time I've taken that route it has stopped for 1 mins or so in Cavan, though I only ever got it earlier in the day. As mentioned above, ask the driver when getting on. If he's not scheduled to stop, he may still stop if asked by enough people.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭GoldenGreen

was thinking i read something in the local paper about this a while back:

http://www.donegaldemocrat.ie/news/local/no_more_rest_stop_on_dublin_bus_1_3070816

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yeah, there was similar story in Donegal Times alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Me thinks you may need to do a Gerard Depardieu !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭overshoot

ah i was wondering why they didnt stop anywhere, but iv only got the 7pm and cavan bus station is closed by then. their timetabling is a joke, only one of the 3 buses would have made it in under 4hrs(it was private hire).... one took 4hrs 30 (how i dont know),
    if they get their drivers to get their act together. McGeehans drivers regularly make dublin in 3hr 20/30 with a stop on a sunday. there is no reason why 3.40 and the airport with a short stop isnt do able. (personally since they added an airport bus on the cavan route too i think its retarded, just sync the buses and send one, cavan leaves every hour anyway)
    They screwed the old McG 6.00 direct friday bus over by moving it to 5 and into traffic so it take longer.
    they are a pile of piss and my recomendation to anyone is take a car if you can afford one. 2hrs less journey time and if its diesel, costs the same, with passengers cheaper.
    actually can someone actually tell me were mcGeehans bought by BÉ or just a business link up?

Advertisement