Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to surfing which wetsuit?

Options
  • 18-11-2011 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi Guys,

I'm going to buy a surfboard and wetsuit. What kind of wetsuit and board shall i buy. I want to use them in Ireland and the UK

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 chealy74

Just look around the internet or this site, the questions has been asked over and over

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Welcome to the forum spaddywaddy.

For a wetsuit get a 5/3, it will keep you warm all year round. You will also need a hood, booties and gloves for the winter. Good brands of suit are Xcel,C-Skins, Rip Curl and O'Neill.

As for board that would depend on your height and weight, generally most people get bics or nsp for their first board,a bic 7"9 was what I learned on. There is varying opinions on whats best to start on though.

Have a search around the forum and you should find a few threads regarding this topic. Also worth having a look at this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055441375

• Registered Users Posts: 9 spaddywaddy

Thanks for the reply! I have had a look on the internet already and I'm now choosing a wetsuit. I have been told to hire both to start off with. but i dont want to get into a wetsuit which somebody else has worn. eeek

So i am going to go with Mickeroo advice and go for a 5mm. What i have been reading these are winter wetsuits and can be worn all year round.

Now i'm just confused which brand of wetsuit to choose and what budget to spend. The sticky posts are amazing!

I have been looking at these 2 wetsuits, whats your thoughts? Can you recommend and others?

http://www.wetsuitcentre.co.uk/products.asp?pid=2233

http://www.freakfish.co.uk/rip-curl-flash-bomb-3mm-mens-winter-wetsuit-2012-black.html

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

I am amazed that people will go on the web and ask advise about buying a wetsuit (especially a first one) from total strangers.

If you are looking for advise, then GO TO YOUR LOCAL / NEAREST SURF SHOP AND TALK TO SOMEONE FACE TO FACE.

• Advertisement

The reason i ask online is because you can ask the users of the products what they think. I guess you use a wetsuit, whats your favorite and why?

Of course I'm going to call the shops and ask their advice, but at the end of the day i like to research before i spend over £300 on a wetsuit. Especially when i dont know what i'm looking for.

Thanks for the reply though

Wetsuits are probably the tightest bit of clothing / gear you will buy, so a correct and comfortable fit is essential, hence my recommendation that you talk to someone in a surf shop where there will be a good choice and most likely good advice.

However as you have asked, I have used RipCurl winter suits (5/3 - meaning a combination of 5mm thick in some areas and 3mm thick in other) for the past 8 or 10 odd years because they suit me best, had a Body Glove long time ago and did not like it and I use an O'Neill summer suit as they are super light and make a 2/1. As the cold does not affect me as much as sum, I do not go for the thickest or warmest suit, but focus more on flexibility and ease of entry exit. I am not a fan of chest zip suits as they are generally more difficult to get in and out of, much prefer the traditional back zip - RipCurl have a 'bat wing' on their zip and a pull over neck section which does a really good job of preventing cold water flushes when duck diving etc.

If you go into a surf shop in Ireland and find a suit that fits, then go to http://www.wetsuitoutlet.co.uk/?gclid=CMahj8S0x6wCFQVlhwodg08QrQ
    and see if you can find cheaper, as the suits you listed are pretty expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

that's bad form in my opinon and i don't own a surf shop. see can the shop match the internet price at least ask. if they can't and money's tight for most fair enough go for the internet option. i wouldn't let myself get ripped off in a local shop but think they should be given a chance

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

In fairness a lot of the shops will match the online prices. Shop around a bit, its worth looking at bargain rails and the like, they might have good offers on last season's stuff. Support the local business first and foremost but as promethius said don't get ripped off.

• Advertisement

This has been discussed many times before, but remember that when you shop local you are also supporting a service that you may need at short notice someday. Pretty awful to drive to the coast, find you have no wax, your leash is on its last legs or something and have no local surf shops left because everyone went straight to the web with their bucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fobster

chealy74 wrote: »
    If you go into a surf shop in Ireland and find a suit that fits, then go to http://www.wetsuitoutlet.co.uk/?gclid=CMahj8S0x6wCFQVlhwodg08QrQ
    and see if you can find cheaper, as the suits you listed are pretty expensive.

Agreed. Those two you put up are far too pricey check out O'Neill's mid-range, I have the O'Neill Heat. Great suit for less than €200.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Buy local, so if you have an issue with the suit, ya can return it handy enough

Over the years I have bought the biggest % of my suits from local shops and there are bargains to be had for sure, but at this time of year most shops are charging full price for winter suits. Last year I bought a new 6mm suit up in Bundoran and it cost 350euro, compared to a suit I am not thinking of getting as a back up, for 153 sterling with free delivery and its an O'neill 2010 winter suit.
    If the shops are charging 350 then I know where I will go...
    Take Tubes for instance in Cork, most of his money does not come from suits or boards but from the fashion side of the store.

Ok i these guys seem to do all the branded wetsuits http://www.freakfish.co.uk/wetsuits.html which brands of that page would people go for. I have been reading quicksilver are good?

I have had a look at the O'Neills, i dont mind spending alot of money becuase i always like to buy the best i can especially if i'm going to keep warm. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

Ok i these guys seem to do all the branded wetsuits http://www.freakfish.co.uk/wetsuits.html which brands of that page would people go for.

I have had a look at the O'Neills, i dont mind spending alot of money becuase i always like to buy the best i can especially if i'm going to keep warm. :)

O'Neill are very good all right...the Psycho2 5/3 is a great suit, very warm + flexible. Interestingly, the UK shop you mention above is actually dearer than the shop in Sligo where I got mine. The freakfisk price above is £ 280 stg, which at current exchange rates will cost € 335. The shop in Sligo sells the exact same suit for only € 299;). I saw it recently when getting someone a junior 5/3 O'Neil Epic 5/3 which was € 99. Online from the UK shop above its £ 90 , which equates to about € 106. The fellow in Sligo says he will be updating his website soon to an e-commerce site, it'll be interesting to see if the prices increase to UK prices then.

Have you got their number?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

Have you got their number?
    no but i quickly googled the site, its www.sunset.ie, I think the number should be there somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Tom Ghostwood

Ive 2 Billabong sg5 solution gold 6/5/4 hooded suits. Bought the first one second hand from a shop in Lahinch & then bought a new one of the same suit last week. Super suit. Very very warm & flexible too.

Just picked up an O'Neill Mutant in my local surf shop for about the same or less than that quoted on freakfish, plus I got to try on three or four other suits to make sure I was getting the best fit and value.

• Advertisement

I got a wetsuit from these guys http://www.wetsuitcentre.co.uk/ ended up going for a Rip Curl Flash bomb only cost 240 euros delivered. Its a shame becuase my local shop wouldnt budge on price.

I really like the wetsuit and have to say so far its super warm and comfortable. I saw the wetsuit on the gadget show and thought it looked good. Would recommend for sure.

Advertisement