Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

White Christmas/Roads with snow thread 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I dont think we would be fortunate/unfortunate (depends on your outlook) enough to make it a hat trick of consecutive white Xmases

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

muffler wrote: »
    I dont think we would be fortunate/unfortunate (depends on your outlook) enough to make it a hat trick of consecutive white Xmases

Lazy git, thats one of my pet hates, someone saying x-mas indtead of typing the extra 5 letters and saying Christmas :P

Can't see it being a white Christmas myself either but ya just never know. After last year I think its best to always expect the bad weather!

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Paddy Power is giving odds of 7/2 for both Dublin and Belfast.

Maybe they know something we dont :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

AHHHHHHHH...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

no thanks, dont want weeks of drive clearing, sliding around and frozen pipes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Time to load up the boot -- spade, blanket, Lucozade, Mars bar, torch, wellies, spare set of clothes. Every winter I do this, I don't get stuck in Newtowncunningham and have to walk to Letterkenny! (not that I did before, but I expect the worst)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭323

Time to load up the boot -- spade, blanket, Lucozade, Mars bar, torch, wellies, spare set of clothes. Every winter I do this, I don't get stuck in Newtowncunningham and have to walk to Letterkenny! (not that I did before, but I expect the worst)

Time to change that name from alchemist to survivalist.

But better to have it and not need it.........

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Deer Hunter DL

snow chains in Lidil tomorrow for 30 euros

snow chains in Lidil tomorrow for 30 euros

bought !

• Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

bought !

Illegal?

I think while its technically ok to buy them and use them (saw a few oil lorries with them last year), you can be fined for using anything which damages the road.

These chains are ok on solid ice, but if you drive around on a road with no ice on it you may damage the road (or the chains themselves).

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    Illegal?

I think while its technically ok to buy them and use them (saw a few oil lorries with them last year), you can be fined for using anything which damages the road.

These chains are ok on solid ice, but if you drive around on a road with no ice on it you may damage the road (or the chains themselves).

just need them for getting up and down the hill from my house to the main road, which hasnt been gritted in all the years ive lived on it,
    the lidl chains are only rated to 30kmh anyway so you need to take them off as soon as you are on the main roads.

as far as ok on ice, nothing keeps you going on ice, chains are really for packed snow and we had 2 miles of that for weeks for the last 2 years most of the time you can get up and down it ok but when its bad........

anyway they are there for the other car ( which wont get winter tyres on it) !

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Heh, hard to damage already bad roads:pac:

I'd say they'd do more damage to your tyres than the road, especially over the stated speed.

I hope that they won't be needed this Christmas, though probably a worthy purchase for 30eur.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Ice on the top of cars this morning! first time i seen it this season.

wish i had put on a jacket this morning not just a hoody!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Lazy git, thats one of my pet hates, someone saying x-mas indtead of typing the extra 5 letters and saying Christmas :P

Can't see it being a white Christmas myself either but ya just never know. After last year I think its best to always expect the bad weather!

says the guy to lazy to spell check

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭colonel-yum-yum

danniemcq wrote: »
    Ice on the top of cars this morning! first time i seen it this season.
    I kind of expected it with how clear it got last night, but wasn't expecting it to be near as thick as it was. Time to get back into the routine of getting the car warming up before I leave the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

danniemcq wrote: »
    says the guy to lazy to spell check
    :p

I think you meant too lazy ;););)

Sorry, couldn't resist it - no offence intended! :D

Delphi91 wrote: »
    I think you meant too lazy ;););)

Sorry, couldn't resist it - no offence intended! :D

How do ya like them apples Dannie :pac:

I have a wee thermometer here at the house and I see 5 minutes ago when I came it it was reading 0 degree's, felt every bit of it too!

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭martyeds

Slight shower of hailstones earlier in Letterkenny.....this could be the beginning of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Near damaging hail here the size of marbles. Thought I was gonna lose a few windows. Noise was incredible. Not a evening to be out and about.

irish1967 wrote: »
    Near damaging hail here the size of marbles. Thought I was gonna lose a few windows. Noise was incredible. Not a evening to be out and about.

Come join us for our weekly game of board.ie footy :pac:

• Advertisement

Running from car to building wud wreck me for a week ! :)

could be a white christmas yet , starting to get right windy now tho but its still very cold

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭martyeds

muffler wrote: »
    Paddy Power is giving odds of 7/2 for both Dublin and Belfast.

Maybe they know something we dont :confused:

Odds have drifted (no pun intended) to 4/1 now

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

A lot of talk over on the weather forum about snow on Sunday/Monday for the NW.
    But if it does come it shouldn't be too much and wont last long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Yeah just a few showers if it does, nothing like the past couple of years where it didn't melt for weeks.

It'll definitely snow on high ground, just depends how low down it manages to get. Letterkenny has been a bit of a magnet for snow over the past few years so wouldn't be surprised if we get a covering here

snowing in kilcar and killybegs and the bluestack today , could be white in the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Snow up high in letterkenny now. Nothing heavy yet so I'll have to go to work, dammit.

No snow in Donegal Town. Recent hail shower but driving should be ok with a little care. Car windows not frozen.

irish1967 wrote: »
    No snow in Donegal Town. Recent hail shower but driving should be ok with a little care. Car windows not frozen.

drimarone road white with hail (wish i'd been less lazy and put the winter tyres on yesterday aft) mains roads/ town absolutely fine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

Drumkeen was a disaster this morning with the way people were driving going through it. You'd sweat this was the first time we'd seen snow!

Advertisement