Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mademoiselle ou Madame?

• 18-11-2011 1:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭

I am currently navigating through a potential minefield in my adopted francophone homeland.

I recently passed a photocopy to a colleague and said: "Voila Madame X..." and then jokingly added on "Ou est-ce que c'est Mademoiselle X?". She quite curtly replied that it certainly isn't "Mademoiselle X", as it is nobody's business whether she is married or not... I replied that with an attitude like that she never will be. (Actually, I didn't. That last bit is a joke).

This girl is definitely single and is about 23 I'd say.

Having being burned by this experience I know refer to all girls / ladies as "Madame". Until last weekend when I was getting a coffee for a friend and she said "c'est Mademoiselle", after me having referred to her as “Madame”.

I have now decided that my new rule of thumb is that unless you are married, or past it (30+), then it's going to be "Mademoiselle"... otherwise it's "Madame".

Any advice or improvements on this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

I know this isn't particularly helpful, but I pretty much avoided the whole madame/mademoiselle thing as much as I could. Like yourself, I'd only use madame for older women (around 40+), and never mademoiselle. Unless it's something like "Mademoisele ici est....", but then I'd be talking about a friend so it wouldn't really matter. I imagine your colleague got upset because she perceived mademoiselle either patronising or too familiar.

Are you in France? I can't imagine a Belgian being that up herself somehow...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

Indeed, pity there is no "Ms" equivalent in the French language.
    I think the "etiquette" is to call someone who is over, let's say, 20 years of age "Madame" as a standard. Whether the lady then wants to highlight what her current status is, is up to her.
    V

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭keanooo

Merci Monsieur Aard et Mademoiselle R... C'est en Suisse.

As far as I can make out the etiquette is "Mademoiselle" for any unmarried girl in her twenties or younger. Either way I think there is possibility of offence being taken... so I think that's the side I will choose. I think it's the "Madame"s in their early twenties that are trying to make a point.

Merci pour les conseils...

Advertisement