Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off season blues

• 18-11-2011 1:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭

Aside from keeping an eye on the trade market how else is everyone occupying their time till the start of the 2012 season?

I'm watching The Franchise:a season with the San Francisco Giants. I enjoyed the stuff Showtime did with the NFL and while I'm sure I'd be into this a lot more if I was a Giants fan I'm enjoying it so far.
    Brian Wilson is a buzzer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭UCD AFC

Must look into that series, like those sort of shows - is there a lot of true footage or more talking?

Me, keep up with the trading and focus on other sports - football, NFL, NHL, NBA (hopefully) UFC, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Crucial Youth

Yeah its got a lot of shots in the clubhouses and stuff. Theres a lot of coaching sessions covered where the staff are talking about who's on the DL and what goes on.

It kind of centres on on or two specific players per episode. I'd definitely recommend it even if you have a remote interest in the game and stuff you don't usually see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I'm just reading a couple of books. One about baseball strategy and I 've got a Wille Mays biography after that.

Apart from that I'm keeping in touch with a couple of Mets message boards.

Oh and I'm finally getting around to reading Moneyball by Michael Lewis. Pretty good so far but I'm only 100 pages in.

Let me know of that Willie Mays bio is any use.also does anyone have any suggested reading baseball-wise?I'm terrible at finding new stuff to read.

Oh.failed to notice the Mets mention there.**** you!Go Phillies!

joking.

• Advertisement

Oh and I'm finally getting around to reading Moneyball by Michael Lewis. Pretty good so far but I'm only 100 pages in.

Let me know of that Willie Mays bio is any use.also does anyone have any suggested reading baseball-wise?I'm terrible at finding new stuff to read.

I'll let that Mets dig go and I shouldn't really be conversing with a Phillies fan but anyway!!!

Here are a bunch of books I've read over the past couple of years which you might want to check out

Watching Baseball Smarter by Zach Hample - good book for picking up tips and learning about the basics, good for beginners
    Is this a great game or what? by Tim Kurkjian - very good book by the guy from ESPN's Basball Tonight
    Game of Shadows - Book about Barry Bonds & steroids. A bit out of date now but still good
    Eight Men Out - Excellent book about the 1919 Black Sox. I'd definitely recommend this one.
    Jackie Robinson biography by Arnold Rampersad and Henry Aaron biography by Howard Bryant - good books which are more educational than anything else on this list. Good to see what black players had to go through in the 50s-60s etc. The HA one is the better of the two imo but both are worth reading
    As they see 'em by Bruce Weber - This one's great too. It's about a journalist who goes to pitcher's school and follows pitchers in the minor leagues trying to make it up the majors.
    The game from where I Stand by Doug Glanville. An ex-player's thoughts on the game. Only ok.
    The Baseball Codes by Jason Turbow. This one's good too. It's about all the unwritten rules in baseball (e.g. not stealing in a blowout, when you're allowed throw at someone's head etc.). Definitely read this one.
    Ball Four by Jim Bouton - Hailed by critics as one of the best baseball books ever, I found it a bit outdated (it's from the 60's) so I'd skip this one.

I also like stories (in any sport) of up and coming players and their struggles to make it so I've also read a few books about life in the minor leagues. We all know how A-Rod or Albert live their lives so it's good to see how the other side live, i.e guys who haven't made it yet and those who never will. Some of these are

The Bullpen Gospels by Dirk Hayhurst - only ok
    The Last Best League by Jim Collins - This one's very good. It's about a summer league in Massachusetts where a lot of up and coming college players play. Great book.
    Minor Players Major Dreams by Brett Mandel - Journalist follows a minor league team for a season. I enjoyed this one too

EDIT - Sorry I can't believe I left off what is probably my favourite baseball book. Simply called Baseball, A history of America's game by Ben Rader which is basically the history of the game from the start up until about the mid 00s. Very educational and good for a newish fan like myself trying to learn the history of the game. If you only read one of the books listed, read this one.

Another minor league one worth reading is Small Town Heroes by Hank Davis

Sorry, just spotted another mistake. 'As they see 'em' is about umpires not pitchers. I must have had pitchers on the brain

Yeah its got a lot of shots in the clubhouses and stuff. Theres a lot of coaching sessions covered where the staff are talking about who's on the DL and what goes on.

It kind of centres on on or two specific players per episode. I'd definitely recommend it even if you have a remote interest in the game and stuff you don't usually see.

By the way, where are you watching this? I presume it's over the net. Any links?

That's awesome Jack. Than you so much.
    Maybe we can put aside our rivalries and maybe become friends?
    That seems to be a seriously conclusive list. Thanks a million.

Maybe we can put aside our rivalries and maybe become friends?

I've no problem with Phillies fans in November. It's in June when they're wiping the floor with the Mets and are about 10 games up that I get annoyed!!

Seriously though, there are so few baseball fans in Ireland (that I know anyway) it's good to be able to banter with someone.

Haha for real. We're a serious minority in this country. Gotta stock together :)

I found links on warezbb. They have megaupload,rapidshare and loads of different types of links. If you don't have aa RapidShare account you can still get the stiff easily.given you can usually only download say one RS file at a time alternating between the different types of files you'll have all you need quick enough.

• Advertisement

*gotta stick together
    **get all the stuff

****ing phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

Here are a bunch of books I've read over the past couple of years which you might want to check out
    Wow that alot of baseball books you have read Jack. I will take note for future reference...

Think I will start with Moneyball first before I watch the film. I actually have Jose Canseco' autobiography 'Juiced' on my bookshelf aswell to read. My missus got it in the States after we watched him on the Celeb Apprentice...

As for off season blues, I dont really have time with all the sports I follow. I'll keep up with the baseball news of course so I'm prepared for the fantasy baseball season when it comes round...

Aa much a fan of baseball I always feel incapable of setting up/maintaining fantasy team. Ilk give it a try this season though.

I take it a few heads on here will be partaking ?

Aa much a fan of baseball I always feel incapable of setting up/maintaining fantasy team. Ilk give it a try this season though.

I take it a few heads on here will be partaking ?

I've never done fantasy baseball either. Partly because of the time involved and partly because I probably wouldn't know enough to run a good team. To be honest Ive been getting too involved with fantasy NFL and Premier League over the past few years to the extent that I'm looking to back away from them now.

I find myself getting too interested in my teams and I end up caring more about stats than I do about how my 'real' team is performing or the game in general. I'm probably going to give them all up next season and get back to watching sports for the enjoyment of it and not caring whether some bloke on a team I have no interest in catches a 20yard TD pass or hits a HR or gets a goal assist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Coeus wrote: »
    Wow that alot of baseball books you have read Jack. I will take note for future reference...

Think I will start with Moneyball first before I watch the film. I actually have Jose Canseco' autobiography 'Juiced' on my bookshelf aswell to read. My missus got it in the States after we watched him on the Celeb Apprentice...

As for off season blues, I dont really have time with all the sports I follow. I'll keep up with the baseball news of course so I'm prepared for the fantasy baseball season when it comes round...

My missus has been emailed Jack's list, what with the time of year that's in it..... :-)

Same as Coeus, I've my time taken up by Football and Hockey at the moment. I have completely neglected the Premier League as they don't keep enough stats for me....

@CrucialYouth A few of us play the baseball here - My baseball knowledge was pretty shallow before I did, but now I love it.

@Jack although I have my favourite sports teams in America, Penguins, Steelers, Cubs (and soft spot for all Boston and Chicago teams) I don't find it interrupts my interest, but can see why it would!

Same as Coeus, I've my time taken up by Football and Hockey at the moment. I have completely neglected the Premier League as they don't keep enough stats for me....

@CrucialYouth A few of us play the baseball here - My baseball knowledge was pretty shallow before I did, but now I love it.

@Jack although I have my favourite sports teams in America, Penguins, Steelers, Cubs (and soft spot for all Boston and Chicago teams) I don't find it interrupts my interest, but can see why it would!

Oh I have a team in the premierleague.com aswell and I generally do quite well. The last 2 seasons I finished around the 2000 mark overall which aint bad out of 2 million plus. I tend to run that team based on what I watch over stats.

For fantasy baseball, hockey and football. I watch them all a bit but I have to use stats alot more since I can only really watch games at the weekend.

@CrucialYouth - We'll have a league here next year again and there will may be places if some of the guys drop out. The league can also be expanded aswell. Keep an eye out for a thread in the new year...

Hey Coeus,I know theres a few here into baseball but it is a much more close knit community compared than most other sports. which can be a good thing as well.

I'm hoping to head to the training in santry in February and maybe play a few games with a team of some description. I'm running more and am working on my batting,when its not pissing rain of course :)

@Jack
    I get what you mean .I could see the sabermetrics take over the enjoyment of the game. I'll give it a try though.

Hey Coeus,I know theres a few here into baseball but it is a much more close knit community compared than most other sports. which can be a good thing as well.

I'm hoping to head to the training in santry in February and maybe play a few games with a team of some description. I'm running more and am working on my batting,when its not pissing rain of course :)
    Spring training in Santry, sounds nice :)

I have never played in my life although I do own a Louisville slugger which I use for home security rather than its intended purpose...

I bought a Wilson wooden bat in the small sports store in rathmines and the dude was kind of sketched out but relaxed when I told him I was actually going to use it to hit balls. He said everyone else who bought one was security guards or bouncers. He gave me money off and all :)

Everyone go buy stuff from them if they are still there.

I bought a Wilson wooden bat in the small sports store in rathmines and the dude was kind of sketched out but relaxed when I told him I was actually going to use it to hit balls. He said everyone else who bought one was security guards or bouncers. He gave me money off and all :)

Everyone go buy stuff from them if they are still there.

Talking of batting, when I was in the States recently I had a go in a batting cage. It was only throwing the ball out at only 50mph but it was still bloody hard to drive the ball with any conviction (when I managed to make contact). So I can only imagine what it would be like facing someone throwing in the mid 90s with movement.

I also had a go on a pitching simulator and throwing my hardest I was still only getting the ball up to the mid-late 40's mph and it was going no where the strike zone. It wasn't anywhere near the correct distance either. To make sure it went into the strike zone I had to throw at 35mph. I only threw about 10 pitches (only 1 strike) and my arm was ready to fall off. I had a new found respect for pitchers after that!

• Advertisement

Thats awesome Jack.It definitely gives you a better insight i'd say.I really regret not using the batting cages when i was in Japan.I was also going home the day the Yomiuri Giants were playing a game i had free tickets to.
    My life sucks mad.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Capri86

Great to see other baseball fans in Ireland. Been a mets fan for years, It breaks my heart. Haha. Glad to see the cardinals win though

I posted this up on the Baseball Ireland facebook page but got zero results there but if anyone is up for meeting to play a mess game or just play catch let me know.

poxy weather permitting of course.

Capri86 wrote: »
    Been a mets fan for years,

I'm sorry for your troubles.

It's tough isn't it? The Mets are my team because when I was a kid I was given a present of a Mets baseball cap and a yearbook after my Dad went to a game when he was in NY so when I got into baseball around 15 years later they automatically became my team. If only he'd gone to see a different team......

Capri86 wrote: »
    Been a mets fan for years,

I'm sorry for your troubles.

It's tough isn't it? The Mets are my team because when I was a kid I was given a present of a Mets baseball cap and a yearbook after my Dad went to a game when he was in NY so when I got into baseball around 15 years later they automatically became my team. If only he'd gone to see a different team......

I know what you mean. They were the first team I went to see in shea and It all started there. They are the loveable losers though. Not sure if there will be as much team spirit without Reyes though

Winter meetings this week. We might get some news to chat about. Hot stove's been quiet this year so far.

I imagine its going to be dominated by Prince and Pujols. Be interesting to see what else happens.

Off season blues is right. Reyes to the Marlins confirmed, 6 years $111m.

I always he he wasn't going to re-sign with the Mets but just a little disappointed he's going to a team within the division who they have to play 18 times a year.

• Advertisement

Off season blues is right. Reyes to the Marlins confirmed, 6 years $111m.

I always he he wasn't going to re-sign with the Mets but just a little disappointed he's going to a team within the division who they have to play 18 times a year.
    Tought loss for the Mets alright. I'd had thought Reyes wouldn't sign for less than a 9-figure sum. Ye guys have your hands tied with the money owed to Bay, Santana and Wright next season and beyond.

It could be a long season for ye guys. Are you still gonna go across for some games?

I know it wasn't directed at me but I'm going to be in Richmond for a show around March and hope to get up to see Philly play. Failing that ill be flying home from New York so hope to see someone play the Yankees.

If anyone wants anything let me know. Cut down on shipping and stuff.

Tought loss for the Mets alright. I'd had thought Reyes wouldn't sign for less than a 9-figure sum. Ye guys have your hands tied with the money owed to Bay, Santana and Wright next season and beyond.

It could be a long season for ye guys. Are you still gonna go across for some games?

Yeah, with the way the Nats have improved over the past year I honestly expect the Mets to be propping up the NL East next season.

Although I always knew he was unlikely to re-sign I still held a teeny-weeny bit of hope that he might. However money's money and you can't blame a guy for looking after himself financially but I would have preferred if he hadn't signed with a team the Mets have to play 18 times a year! But no one else was prepared to give him 6 years I suppose. I've only been following baseball and the Mets since 2005 and in that time he's always been there so it'll be strange seeing him in a different uniform next season (especially those new godawful Miami ones!). I'd never wish a stint on the DL on anyone, especially one who has given me plenty to cheer at over the past few years but put it this way, I won't be too upset if his dodgy hamstrings rear their ugly heads again.

I don't know about going over to see games next year. I've gone over to see the Mets the past 3 years but if next year is going to be (another!) rebuilding year I might hold off until 2013. A week in New York isn't cheap and money isn't as flush as it was in the past either so I'm going to have to be really convinced in the off season that they will at least be competitive before I consider booking anything.

Reyes was my favourite player and had such great team spirit. My mets won't be the same without him

Yeah, with the way the Nats have improved over the past year I honestly expect the Mets to be propping up the NL East next season.

I don't know about going over to see games next year. I've gone over to see the Mets the past 3 years but if next year is going to be (another!) rebuilding year I might hold off until 2013. A week in New York isn't cheap and money isn't as flush as it was in the past either so I'm going to have to be really convinced in the off season that they will at least be competitive before I consider booking anything.
    I expect the Mets to propping up the rest aswell. Marlins, Nats and Phillies will be active on the free agent market and the Braves will be 1 year older. I see a continuation of the rebuilding for ye guys until ye get some of the big contracts off the books or get a new invester/owner.

Wont be in the States myself either next year as I have other stuff on. I have been in NYC 4 years in a row myself and your right it aint cheap especially if you go to Yankees games :P

I just seen on the winter meetings ticker that someone has offered CJ Wilson a 6 year deal. God help them :)

Saw that about Wilson.Any ideas who got him?

• Advertisement

Saw that about Wilson.Any ideas who got him?
    Nobody yet, it was only an offer. Angels showing lots of interest but they Im sure they wont give him more than the deal Weaver signed during the season deal. Wouldn't be a bad place for him to go since he wont have to be the number 1 guy so less pressure...

Baseball tonight was just on ESPN America with Winter Meeting coverage. The Marlins are at it again with a 10 year offer to Pujols...

i was looking at Tom Singers twitter(@tom_singer) for some heads up after reading his write up on day one of Winter Meetings.
    I saw the Marlins were going mad.Singer said iif they get all their men they'll spend 423.5.Oof.

Why are my not surprised with that. Sure they had to bench him last season for been lazy so been a team player is not one of his strong points...

Someone should direct him to the Premier league.

• Advertisement

Madson more than likely back for another season.Ill take that.

Marlins sign Buerhle for $58M over 4 years. They have a decent rotation next year adding him and having Johnson back...

Would they give someone else a chance :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

So after all is said and done Puyols ends up signing with the Angels
    10 years $250 million..

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/mlb/story/_/id/7330066/sources-albert-pujols-takes-10-year-deal-los-angeles-angels

10 years $250 million..

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/mlb/story/_/id/7330066/sources-albert-pujols-takes-10-year-deal-los-angeles-angels

Nice deal for him definitely but I wonder how the Angels will feel about it around 5-6 years. His numbers have been declining slightly over the past 3 years so this contract could end up like the Yankees and A-Rod. I suppose they had to give it to him to get him.

Was thinking about that A-Rod comparison alright. This will have him in LA till he's 42.can we get some sort of graph or projection deal going to see what he'll ne hitting then?
    Saw they were gunning for Wilson too.

10 years $250 million..

Wow, where did this come from. And the have also signed Wilson on for $77M over 5 years. The thing about Pujols going to the Angels he will be able to be the DH in later years...

The thing about Pujols going to the Angels he will be able to be the DH in later years...

Good point, that's what will happen probably.

Yea, it can extend careers. I dont think any NL team could have offered him that deal when it was gonna run until he was in his early 40s. I guess the Angels were sick of missing out on players.

Will Texas make a play for Prince now since the Angels will be tough competion with Pujols and their starting rotation.

Yea, it can extend careers. I dont think any NL team could have offered him that deal when it was gonna run until he was in his early 40s. I guess the Angels were sick of missing out on players.

Will Texas make a play for Prince now since the Angels will be tough competion with Pujols and their starting rotation.

That would make sense as Prince is another one who will probably end up a DH in a couple of years. I like these 'arms races' although I do wish the Mets weren't broke and could get involved

Never mind that the Marlins got Reyes and Bell and the As got Pujols and Wilson, the Mets get a couple of Blue Jays rejects and Anders Torres from the Giants!

That would make sense as Prince is another one who will probably end up a DH in a couple of years. I like these 'arms races' although I do wish the Mets weren't broke and could get involved

Never mind that the Marlins got Reyes and Bell and the As got Pujols and Wilson, the Mets get a couple of Blue Jays rejects and Anders Torres from the Giants!
    I thought the Mets GM said ye guys have 15-20M to spend. Of course half of that is gone to 2 of those Blue Jay rejects.

Prince could end up anywhere, lots of teams in need of a power hitting first baseman. That will drive his contract demands up and he has Scott Boras helping to maximise that. I expect him to get $200M contract now that Albert has landed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement