Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

Looking at the squad, King actually has some good options open to him despite a couple of injuries, now that he has drafted in players that Trap was ignoring - isn't great that he's gone. I'd go with something like:

Forde

Coleman St. Ledger Clark O'Brien

McCarthy Wilson

Pilkington Reid McGeady

Keane

Edit: Pilkington and McGeady could switch wings whichever suits. Ideally you'd be looking for someone more mobile than Robbie Keane up front to hold the ball and link the play - particularly at this stage of his career - but he's still our top goalscorer.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

It has to be a 4-5-1 (or 4-2-3-1) formation in my opinion. There is no way Ireland will be able to compete with the Germans playing 4-4-2.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

Trap would probably drop dead if he hears Andy Reid will be playing in a free role in midfield. Would be great to see.

Great to see Andy Reid I mean....not Trap drop dead....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Glad that Andy Reid is back, always like him. I'm looking at a better Irish performance than what we've seen lately, but Germany will win 3-0 in my opinion. Would love to be there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

With Duff, Given, Dunne, O'Shea, etc we would still be beaten by this German team so I am not expecting a result.

It sure would be nice to enjoy an Irish game for the football played rather than "enjoying" just because there is something riding on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

With the 2 defenders missing I think we need to keep Wilson and Coleman in place as fullbacks. Probably St. Ledger and Clark most likely to start as long as St. Ledger is fully fit.

I think McClean and McGeady will be selected on the wings as they've both shown they can track back which will be needed.

Would like to see a 4-5-1 myself just to make it more difficult for Germany.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

It won't be pretty, hopefully our German overlords show some pity, but that's not really in their nature :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

John Giles on Newstalk tonight says Martin O'Neill was offered the job but is keeping his options open until this qualification group runs it's course. I think that makes sense from O'Neill's viewpoint. If he does takeover it will be for the next campaign, and he will have time to prepare for it, as opposed to taking over a team with a couple of games left at the end of a campaign when qualification is nigh on impossible.

In his interview on UTV a few weeks back O'Neill said he wants another job in management and I think that meant international or club management. Maybe he will get an offer from an EPL club as well, he has been linked with the Fulham job lately. I think O'Neill would be a good appointment for the next campaign, hope it happens.

http://www.newstalk.ie/player/listen_back/10/4702/10th_October_2013_-_Off_The_Ball_Part_2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I think we will do alright tomorrow night but Germany to win 2-0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

nuxxx wrote: »
    It won't be pretty, hopefully our German overlords show some pity, but that's not really in their nature :D

A win guarantees their spot in Brazil. They will be out to massacre whoever gets in their way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

Quite refreshing how we haven't named our team unnecessarily a day before kick off it has to be said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Lennonist wrote: »
    John Giles on Newstalk tonight says Martin O'Neill was offered the job but is keeping his options open until this qualification group runs it's course. I think that makes sense from O'Neill's viewpoint. If he does takeover it will be for the next campaign, and he will have time to prepare for it, as opposed to taking over a team with a couple of games left at the end of a campaign when qualification is nigh on impossible.

In his interview on UTV a few weeks back O'Neill said he wants another job in management and I think that meant international or club management. Maybe he will get an offer from an EPL club as well, he has been linked with the Fulham job lately. I think O'Neill would be a good appointment for the next campaign, hope it happens.

http://www.newstalk.ie/player/listen_back/10/4702/10th_October_2013_-_Off_The_Ball_Part_2

Fulham could do better than O'Neill, so could Ireland in fact, especially if the wage pot is substantial again. O'Neill certainly wouldn't command the same wage he would have pre-Villa.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭TheBunk1

klose wrote: »
    Quite refreshing how we haven't named our team unnecessarily a day before kick off it has to be said

Didn't matter with Trap, he invariably played the same team every game barring injuries, suspensions etc.

Some games it might be wise to keep the opposition guessing, but a team like Germany won't care.

Hope we put in a decent performance tonight and don't have a repeat of the reverse fixture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Shay has done well for himself since his split..

BVzfma6CAAA_VGG.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

So I've been trying to work out what we have to do to reach the play offs.

We beat Germany and Kazakhstan, on present goal difference, we need a cumulative win of nine goals.

Austria beat Sweden by preferably just ONE goal.

The Faroe Islands to beat Austria by as many goals as possible.

Germany to Beat Sweden, also by as many goals as possible.

Based on all of that, think I'll just watch the England Match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    So I've been trying to work out what we have to do to reach the play offs.

We beat Germany and Kazakhstan, on present goal difference, we need a cumulative win of nine goals.

Austria beat Sweden by preferably just ONE goal.

The Faroe Islands to beat Austria by as many goals as possible.

Germany to Beat Sweden, also by as many goals as possible.

Based on all of that, think I'll just watch the England Match.

im not sure to be honest how i want the other games to go....in one sense, Austria beating Sweden means at least the last game we have a mathematicaly chance of qualifying, IF we win tonight which we all know is unlikely.

HOWEVER, the realistic things are now is that we are going to finish 3rd at best. Austria beating Sweden definitely has us finishing 4 IMO and thats a big problem for future groups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

We have to want Sweden to win and try to pip third, but on a personal level I have to say I quite like that Austrian team.

Quite a few decent players there and Alaba is class. Comparing the teams on paper I don't know how we were ever considered favourites against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

carlop wrote: »
    We have to want Sweden to win and try to pip third, but on a personal level I have to say I quite like that Austrian team.

Quite a few decent players there and Alaba is class. Comparing the teams on paper I don't know how we were ever considered favourites against them.

Like Sweden, Austria are pretty much a one player team. No great shakes either of them. The usual case of us inflating a team's ability way beyond what it should have been due our passive approach within games.

I have a feeling the next 12-18 months will prove how far below our potential we've been playing. We may even get a snippit over the next 5 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Although his lack of experience at a high level means he won't get the job but Noel King has hardly put a foot wrong as interim manager. A solid performance against Germany and a win (playing decent football) against Kazakhstan should help raise his profile anyway.

Something like this from Gibson tonight would be nice.
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xq1yg5_darron-gibson-goal-vs-bayern-munich-07-04-2010_sport

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Adrift

Yep, I agree - I'd rather King than a "Name" who will view the job as a project. King knows the game and most importantly the players at his disposal, and he's done quite well so far in setting about his duties. He's eiped the slate clean and promised a different system will be played. Whilst on the subject I think Martin O'Neill has dropped from being the best candidate out of an average bunch to being a terrible one. He's clearly stalling for an offer of a return to premiership football. I think the nets need to be cast further if King doesn't work out.

Overall I think the performance tonight will be better than the one in October, I can't see the outcome being much different though I'd still expect Germany to win 2/3 -0.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

When should we expect a team announcement?

Personally, I think it is a toss of a coin between McGeady & McClean.

However, IMO I'd pick Wes over Andy everyday of the week but I am not Noel King so we can only guess :D
    GBXI wrote: »
    Yeah I just think McGeady is miles better than McClean and plays at a higher level but we'll see what the boss does.

Generally you'd start Wes, but Reid is playing great stuff at the minute whereas Wes isn't even playing. It's also a huge bonus to have someone in your team as good at set-pieces as Reid is.

Jesus, its not even close for me.

McGeady is an another planet to McClean imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Insane Rambling

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    When should we expect a team announcement?

I've been hitting F5 since 1pm yesterday... what gives?

I've been hitting F5 since 1pm yesterday... what gives?

7pm I expect.

Would generally be the norm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

First change im happy about is Not seeing the team announced a day or two ahead of the actual match itself.
    Could never understand Traps reasoning for this....

Give the opposition Nothing i say.

First change im happy about is Not seeing the team announced a day or two ahead of the actual match itself.
    Could never understand Traps reasoning for this....

Give the opposition Nothing i say.

Under Trap's reign it mattered not a jot to be honest.

Team and formation were the same 95% of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

I am actually looking forward to watching an irish game for the first time in a very long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

Johnny Logan singing the anthem tonight, yes, thats right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

aramush wrote: »
    Well now Im really pissed to be missing the game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

Johnny Logan singing the anthem tonight

with Andy Reid on banjo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

let's hope he sings it with a bit of gusto at the proper speed not like that ridiculous version at the sweden match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

let's hope he sings it with a bit of gusto at the proper speed not like that ridiculous version at the sweden match.

Yeah agree you want power in your anthem, not to doze off in the middle of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

yer wan was a good singer, but someone should have reminded her it wasn't a state funeral.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

yer wan was a good singer, but someone should have reminded her it wasn't a state funeral.

exactly. it's the soldier's song. meant to get pulses racing. the crowd at the aviva that night were lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

Tonight's Ireland team: Forde, Coleman, Delaney, Kelly, Clark, Whelan, Gibson, McCarthy, Wilson, Doyle, Stokes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Odd team, four Central midfielders?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

Coleman could be in midfield?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Odd team, four Central midfielders?

I think it looks like 3-5-2.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Would have liked to seen McGeady in the team myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

stokes and Wilson on either wing id say.

• Advertisement

Forde

Kelly Clark Delaney

Coleman
    Wilson

Gibson--McCarthy--Whelan

Stokes----Doyle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭TheRedDevil10

Forde

Kelly Clark Delaney

Coleman
    Wilson

Gibson---Whelan

Stokes----Doyle

McCarthy in there aswell

McCarthy in there aswell

Yeah, forgot to put him in. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭TheRedDevil10

Very decent bench.
    Elliot, Henderson, O'Brien, St.Ledger, Green, Reid, Hoolahan, McClean, McGeady, Pilkington, Long and Keane

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

Well it's different. I'll give King that much!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Keane should be bolded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

roanoke wrote: »
    Well it's different. I'll give King that much!

Agree it's a bit left field & defensive. Only change I'd make is Long instead of Doyle. IMO Doyle is gone to sh#t

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Agree it's a bit left field & defensive. Only change I'd make is Long instead of Doyle. IMO Doyle is gone to sh#t

Id put mcgeady instead of whelan

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I honestly can't remember the last time Ireland didn't play 4-4-2...

Did stan try a 4-3-3 at some stage maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,633 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

4-5-1 id say, coleman at RB, wilson and whelan holding, and Doyle up top on his own.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement