Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I love Gibson's confidence:

"Hopefully we can go out there and fingers crossed it won't be 6-1 again."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Gibson's little interview was very telling there.

"It's frustrating, you know, playing for your club where you're trying to keep the ball and play it about a bit and then you come for internationals with a different manager and it's not that way" or something to that effect.
    Basically saying what a lot of us have said all along.

Traps tactic was "kick the ball away and sit deep".

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭RickyBobby1

This on radio ?

This on radio ?

Was on RTE 2 just before the commercial break.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

What's that fella doing murdering the anthem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

no one can sing the anthem right think we should just give up and adopt a one direction song be easier all round

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

What's that fella doing murdering the anthem?

Johnny Logan? He's a hero.

Right lads.
    Here's my theory on the Johnny Logan thing.

Johnny is kinda big in Belgium, the Ref is Belgian, the FAI knew this and somehow knew that his wife is a Johnny Logan fanatic, they roped Johnny into doing the anthem and have promised the ref that himself and the wife can spend an hour having a few pints with Johnny in the bar after the match, in return, he gives us a few decisions.

It makes perfect sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Seaneh wrote: »
    Right lads.
    Here's my theory on the Johnny Logan thing.

Johnny is kinda big in Belgium, the Ref is Belgian, the FAI knew this and somehow knew that his wife is a Johnny Logan fanatic, they roped Johnny into doing the anthem and have promised the ref that himself and the wife can spend an hour having a few pints with Johnny in the bar after the match, in return, he gives us a few decisions.

It makes perfect sense.

Makes more sense than the team King picked

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

Any streams out there for us foreign types?

• Advertisement

population wrote: »
    Any streams out there for us foreign types?

http://www.aertv.ie/

Lets you watch the Irish channels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭crushproof

Seaneh wrote: »
    http://www.aertv.ie/

Lets you watch the Irish channels.

No can do when there's international games on....anyone got a HD stream at all?! ahem, PM of course :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭crushproof

Ah shizz

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭jeffery lebowski

Stokes :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Here we go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Absolutely amazing that the Glenn Whelan on the right wing experiment isn't working. I was sure he was a frustrated winger being played in a defensive midfield position all along!

In all seriousness, stokes is on a hiding to nothing up front with no fast wingers to get up to him when he's holding it up.

Absolute insanity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

What I don't understand is how Brady can have a go at King for playing players out of position but defend Trap for doing the exact same thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

Created some decent chances but still a looooong way off the standard needed. Gave a better account then in dublin thats for sure

As for stokes,less said the better. Nightmare of a game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

Team against Kaz?

Forde

Coleman- Dunne - Delaney - Wilson

McCarthy - Gibson

Brady - McClean

Wes

Stokes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

Team against Kaz?

Forde

McCarthy - Gibson

Brady - McClean

Wes

Stokes

Really? After tonight!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Stephen Kelly is perhaps one of the worst defenders I have had the misfortune of ever watching in an Ireland jersey, absolute horrendous bag of sh1te he is. Doyle on the left wing also, fcuk sake your man King is some MONGO!!

Really? After tonight!?

Yes. One game in a **** up of a team selection against one of the top 3 teams in the world hardly merits him being dropped.

Long is a bag of ****e and I wouldn't mind Keane either, but Stokes surely has more pace than him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Team against Kaz?

Forde

McCarthy - Gibson

Brady - McClean

Wes

Stokes

Brady's out with an injury unfortunately. He's one of the few bright prospects about.

I'm not convinced Stokes is the answer to Ireland's woes. I'm not going to slate him on the basis of one poor game of finishing as Long has had plenty this year, but I'd maintain Long offers more in all-round general play and should be given another chance to get his season off and running.

I don't see much point in playing the veterans in the final game (Long being an exception). I hope King looks to the future and gives a few of the more fringe players a chance to shine and hopefully give the future manager, whoever it is, some food for thought.

I'd go with the team you posted except I'd leave Clark in for Dunne and give McGeady, Andy Reid, and Hoolahan a go, with Long up top. I'd give Joey O'Brien some game time in the match as well.

We might as well utilise the squad as a bit of hunger might lead to a nice conclusion to a bad campaign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭devotional1993

Yes. One game in a **** up of a team selection against one of the top 3 teams in the world hardly merits him being dropped.

Long is a bag of ****e and I wouldn't mind Keane either, but Stokes surely has more pace than him

Stokes might have got into a few good positions but he caused the first goal missed 3 or 4 good chances. His touch was poor and he made some silly decisions.

I wouldnt start him on Tuesday but ya never know. King might play him in goal and Forde centre forward

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Playing Stokes as a lone striker/target man was an epic fail by Noel King, Celtic wouldnt play him in that role for an SPL match. King should have picked up the phone to Neil Lennon and had a chat about the players strengths and weaknesses.

• Advertisement

Stokes might have got into a few good positions but he caused the first goal and 3 or 4 good chances. His touch was poor and he made some silly decisions.

I wouldnt start him on Tuesday but ya never know. King might play him in goal and Forde centre forward

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

How players like Kelly and Doyle can start, while genuine talent like Reid is left on the bench, well, it is just mystifying.

If Andy Reid doesn't start against the Kazakhs, then its nothing short of a disgrace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

grenache wrote: »
    How players like Kelly and Doyle can start, while genuine talent like Reid is left on the bench, well, it is just mystifying.

If Andy Reid doesn't start against the Kazakhs, then its nothing short of a disgrace.

Kelly is ****e...yet he was another one of the pricks moaning when Trap didn't pick him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

With the lack of subs, I'm wondering if King is thinking about giving the likes of Reid the full 90 in midweek. If he sticks with pretty much the same 11, it'll be a bizarre decision to not make subs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Didn't watch the game - what formation was it in the end?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Noel King really is out of his depth , as bad as the Stauntan era - surely the FAI could have got someone better as an iterim boss, even allowing for it being the FAI

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

G.K. wrote: »
    Didn't watch the game - what formation was it in the end?

Oh I think any thoughts of formations and the like had gone out the window by then.

For instance here was our 'formation' for the second goal.

358b7md.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Would have asked Brian Kerr as interim manager.

Imagine dunphy as boss for a few months? Would be class, no ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Would have asked Brian Kerr as interim manager.

Imagine dunphy as boss for a few months? Would be class, no ?
    I'd take Kerr full stop tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Kelly is ****e...yet he was another one of the pricks moaning when Trap didn't pick him.

Nope.

http://www.joe.ie/football/football-news/stephen-kelly-shocked-and-disgusted-at-traps-hurtful-and-untrue-comments/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭TheRedDevil10

Forde
    Coleman-Dunne-O'Shea-Wilson
    McGeady-Gibson-McCarthy-McClean
    Hoolahan
    Long

Subs: Henderson, Elliot, Kelly, St.Ledger, Clark, Delaney, O'Brien, Green, Whelan, Reid, Doyle, Stokes, Keane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

I can see Tuesday being a swansong for some of the old guard. Keane (33), Dunne (34) and O'Shea (32) may well pack it in after the Kazagh game and Kevin Doyle seems to be on a continued downward spiral at Wolves.

With all that in my, this is the team I can see King going with:
    Forde

Coleman O'Shea Dunne Wilson

Reid Whelan McCarthy McGeady

Keane Doyle

Keane will always be handy to have on the bench as with O'Shea. Can't see either going and Dunne is playing really really well at the moment for QPR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Another one? Its quite a coincidence that about 11 players were all 'pricks' for not getting along with Trap. Amazing coincidence.

TaosHum wrote: »
    I can see Tuesday being a swansong for some of the old guard. Keane (33), Dunne (34) and O'Shea (32) may well pack it in after the Kazagh game and Kevin Doyle seems to be on a continued downward spiral at Wolves.

With all that in my, this is the team I can see King going with:
    Forde

Coleman O'Shea Dunne Wilson

Reid Whelan McCarthy McGeady

Keane Doyle

Good team but Wilson has been useless in his last few games

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Keane will always be handy to have on the bench as with O'Shea. Can't see either going and Dunne is playing really really well at the moment for QPR

Until better players come along or Keane, O Shea and Dunne retire, i dont see them sitting on the bench in the next campaign.
    Would love if Clark, St.Ledger and Duffy played regularly at CB for their clubs.
    Decent strikers and Centre Backs seem short enough in supply for us

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

LowOdour wrote: »
    Until better players come along or Keane, O Shea and Dunne retire, i dont see them sitting on the bench in the next campaign.
    Would love if Clark, St.Ledger and Duffy played regularly at CB for their clubs.
    Decent strikers and Centre Backs seem short enough in supply for us

Clark has been playing regularily at CB for Villa this season although that is primarily because new signing Okore got injured.

If I remember a recent interview with Robbie correctly he has no plans to retire from international football anyway, think he will keep playing as long as he gets picked to play (kinda hard to otherwise)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

Corholio wrote: »
    Another one? Its quite a coincidence that about 11 players were all 'pricks' for not getting along with Trap. Amazing coincidence.

Very true. This was one of my biggest problems with Trappatoni. He constantly was fighting with our players it seemed. When it happens once in a while then no big deal. Things happen, people get emotional. But when it happens again and again like it did under Trappatoni I know where I am pointing the finger of blame overall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Good to see Richard Dunne back and playing full 90 mins. Good article on his injury problems in the Daily Fail of all places: Richard Dunne Interview

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Really disappointing campaign but its over now so time to move on.Hopefully we get a good manager in soon and he starts to rebuild.Some decent talent coming through so its not all doom and gloom.

If Romania don't win both their playoff games,we will be second seeds for Euro 2016 draw and that could make a big difference to a campaign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Romania are also unseeded so it increases the likelihood of them failing to win at least one of the games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Is the next game the friendly v Serbia in March? Thought I heard something on last nights broadcast about a November friendly somewhere, nothing on FAI site about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭bazza1

Chance of friendlies v hungary or Poland in November.. Playoff dates for World cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

supposed to be playing Hungary in Dublin and Poland in Poznan has been confirmed for Nov 19th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Richard Dunne hopes to play on

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/richard-dunne-im-eager-to-play-part-in-euro-2016-bid-29663776.html

Hopefully one more campaign left in the likes of John O'Shea and Robbie Keane too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement