Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Ganymede Glow

FAI ‏@FAIreland

GOAL FROM ROBBIE KEANE! He's back on form! #liveFAI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭bren2001

Robbie Keane 1-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Keane just scored

Is this even on the radio anywhere? For some reason I REALLY want to see this match! Possibly due to the fact that I know I cant... :p

• Advertisement

Yeah two good shots saved so far apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Sin City wrote: »
    Kean just scored

He has left Blackburn, then?

2-0 Cox

3-0 Keane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

anyone have any idea about what level the opposition plays at

Heard there was an earthquake over there last night. The rocky road to Pistoia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭tigger123

donfers wrote: »

FAI Twitter - "Diff game on show here-it may be the equivalent of a serie c team we're playing-but who says we can only play defensive football?"

donfers wrote: »

FWIW the Italian league structure is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_football_league_system#Current_system
    and unless I'm looking at the wrong team Pistoiese finished 7th in the group "Girone D" (5th level down).

As I understand it the lower levels in most of the major European leagues are much weaker than in England so probably we're talking about a very mediocre team here.

HT 0-3 Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

kitakyushu wrote: »
    FWIW the Italian league structure is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_football_league_system#Current_system
    and unless I'm looking at the wrong team Pistoiese finished 7th in the group "Girone D" (5th level down).

these lads are not a club side, they are a mixture of teams i think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Just about to get underway here for second half in Pistoia! Changes;Forde for Westwood, Foley for Dunne, Long for McClean, Walters for Keane
    Looks like McClean might start at Croatia :)

Changes;Forde for Westwood, Foley for Dunne, Long for McClean, Walters for Keane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

sugarman wrote: »
    Yeah, theyre a mix of Serie D teams from the Province of Pistoia.
    Not even Serie D standard as far as i can see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Yeah, theyre a mix of Serie D teams from the Province of Pistoia.
    Not even Serie D standard as far as i can see.

can you see ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Good to hear that Hunt started.
    LostBoy101 wrote: »
    Looks like McClean might start at Croatia :)
    Not a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

Foley:confused:

Bizzare.

He know the system

The Foley/McShane decision was tactical not due to fitness according to FAIreland twitter
    :eek:

Ye, anyone know what the story is there?

Looks like he was just flat out dropped, and replaced by McShane!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

Not what I meant. Hes supposed to be injured, McShane has taken his place in the 23man squad for the euros.

It was a joke. You're right, it's bizarre that he's playing having been left out of the squad. Trap will probably answer any questions about his inclusion by saying....... he know the system.

"Although Kevin has been recovering well, I have made the difficult decision to leave him out of the 23 player list after completing fitness tests on John O'Shea and Paul McShane this morning," Trapattoni said in a statement.

So it must be something about fitness.

Perhaps he's worried John O'Shea will be injured and doesnt think Foley is a suitable backup for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,350 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Foley is over his injury, but the fact remains that McShane offers more cover across all the back, he's only playing tonight as rotation for the others.

The_B_Man wrote: »

Hope a few journos call him out on this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Solo run from Long results in another goal! 0-4 here in Pistoia!

• Advertisement

0-4 Long

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

The_B_Man wrote: »

I think it's more to do with the lack of confidence with the fitness of oshea, st ledger & Dunne, Trap probably went with thinking McShane was needed more 4 covering centre back, wud'nt rule Foley out just yet not convinced OShea will make it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

I hope they don't, or at least I hope they don't make a huge English-tabloid-style deal of it. Though on the surface it appears very tough on Foley and it hasn't been handled very well.

We should have done like most teams and named a 27-man squad instead of a 23+4 reserves. That would have given more time to look at the players in training without falsely getting the hopes of players up.

However, it's a very small deal in the overall matter of things and the last thing we need is a scandal of some sort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

indeed, how is foley involved if he is injured? must be a mistake.

carlop wrote: »
    I hope they don't, or at least I hope they don't make a huge English-tabloid-style deal of it. Though on the surface it appears very tough on Foley and it hasn't been handled very well.

We should have done like most teams and named a 27-man squad instead of a 23+4 reserves. That would have given more time to look at the players in training without falsely getting the hopes of players up.

However, it's a very small deal in the overall matter of things and the last thing we need is a scandal of some sort.

He should not be above a bit of criticism for this. I am sure Foley felt this was the biggest opportunity of his career ( given he has been playing for a relegated EPL side), and then to make him play 45 mins in a nothing match? Whether McShane is good enough ,or not, is irrelevant to this issue.

I thought naming the 23 men was way early, too. Most sides have only done theirs in the last few days.

While Trap deserves a bit of praise of course, I don't want the press to be giving him a easy ride, either.

carlop wrote: »

It must not have been handled too badly within the squad because Foley stuck around tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

Paul Green and Paul McShane:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

He should not be above a bit of criticism for this. I am sure Foley felt this was the biggest opportunity of his career ( given he has been playing for a relegated EPL side), and then to make him play 45 mins in a nothing match? Whether McShane is good enough ,or not, is irrelevant to this issue.

I thought naming the 23 men was way early, too. Most sides have only done theirs in the last few days.

While Trap deserves a bit of praise of course, I don't want the press to be giving him a easy ride, either.

I see nothing to gain by giving him a hard time now though. Perhaps it's something that should be revisited after the Euros, but if we are to have any chance we need a solid, united group.

Remember there are a lot of Wolves lads in the squad. The last thing we want is the press hyping up a perceived split in the camp or something like that. Even if it is completely untrue, just talking about it can create tension that we could really do without.

0-5 Walters

Serious bad form. Including the lad in the final 23, then taking it away for that Donkey to be included. Disgracfull. Foley could easily cover CB or RB if needed.

Reminds me of worldcup90 and Jack Charlton dropping Gary Waddock at the last minute to include then uncapped Alan McLoughlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭conor360

Hope O'Shea will be ok and fit for the Euros. Him and Dunne are key to our defence.

• Advertisement

Soups123 wrote: »
    It must not have been handled too badly within the squad because Foley stuck around tonight.

How do you know? Maybe he is not one who wants to rock the boat, or be perceived as such.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

Sounds to me that O'Shea will be out and Trap will call Foley back in

Soups123 wrote: »

How do you know? Maybe he is not one who wants to rock the boat, or be perceived as such.
    I don't know, I know as much as anyone else without knowing the facts it's not known whether it was handled well.

All the same gutted for Foley but reckon he could end up in 4 oshea yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Would I be correct in saying that no-one can be called up after today though? I thought final squads had to be handed in today. If someone gets injured from here on in they can't be replaced surely? So that rules out Foley getting called up for O'Shea

Saying that, it is poor form by the manager. Should never have picked squad so early, there was no rush whatsoever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

But only before the matches start, I think.

No they can, if someone is injured they can be replaced once uefa give the go ahead after they send their own doctors for a report.

Oh really? I stand corrected.

As GK said though surely it is before the first game only? For example I remember Turkey having an injury crisis in 08 and they couldn't call up anyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭bren2001

I feel terrible for Foley that he is out of the squad due to tactical reasons. I would of preferred if McShane was just named at that start. I do have to say fair play to Trap for making the call, it couldnt of been easy but there is no point in going into the tournament short of cover just because he didnt want to upset one of the players. I am gutted for him but such is life, he will get his chance to represent Ireland again (maybe not at a major tournament).

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭TheBunk1

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Oh really? I stand corrected.

As GK said though surely it is before the first game only? For example I remember Turkey having an injury crisis in 08 and they couldn't call up anyone

This will clarify: http://www.uefa.com/multimediafiles/download/competitions/euro/91/87/57/918757_download.pdf
    Players registered for the final tournament
    17.04 A list of 23 players must be in possession of the UEFA administration at least 10 full days before the opening match in the final tournament. Three of these 23 players must be goalkeepers.

17.05 In the event of serious injury to a listed player before his team’s first match in the final tournament, the player in question may be substituted only if a doctor from the UEFA Medical Committee and the team doctor concerned both confirm that the injury is sufficiently serious to prevent the player from taking part.

17.06 Each association must ensure and confirm to UEFA by the deadline set for submitting the players list that all registered players have undergone a medical examination, including cardiovascular screening. This also applies to any potential substitute as referred to in paragraph 17.05. This medical examination must have been carried out within the two years prior to the start of the final tournament. The UEFA administration provides each association with a document explaining all mandatory examinations.

17.07 The list of 23 players is published by the UEFA administration.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

This Foley situation kinda reminds me of Gary Waddock before Italia 90,Big Jack named him in the squad but then dropped him and brought Alan McLoughin instead who Big Jack said was more of a goal threat even though Waddock played in the final two warm up matches

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement