Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Right decision made. Very pragmatic. A manager drops a player who was borderline fitness for a player of similar talent and ability but with no injuries and more experience and people are saying he is mentally unhinged, that its the beginning of the end, that it was terrible way to treat someone. Everyone knows its a 23man swuad, they know there's competition for places and players are at risk to be dropped. He called him in privately and told him his decision and his reasons why. I don't envy the manager in these decisions and thats why he's on the big bucks and we're here on boards. Some perspective people, perspective.

Team Anti-trap having a field day already, wonder will they feel the same if we have a super tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,824 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Right decision made.
    Wrong decision.
    "He (Trapattoni) said there was no rush and we will wait to train in Italy, so I trained for two days in Italy and felt great. And then all of a sudden, he pulls me... just before the end and says, 'You are not in the squad', and that is hard to take.
    Foley was never even given a chance to prove his fitness.
    When asked about his future with Ireland, Foley said: “I don’t really want to talk about that now. I just want to go home. It’s a lot take in one day.” he concluded.
    Sounds pretty alienated to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Seamus Coleman must feel pretty alienated too.
    I would feel pretty alienated if I was playing in the Premier League to rave reviews when a mid-table Championship reserve player was being brought on instead of me in a friendly.

The situation with Green and McShane just feels far too staged for my liking. It's almost like Trap is trying to deflect media criticism of his selections, only to quietly renege later on.

Firstly, Seamus Coleman is a right winger. Secondly, when was his last rave review? Certainly not this season.

If I was picking the Ireland team I would try Coleman out as an attacking right back. But I'm not the manager. Trap is. And he doesn't play attacking right backs, let alone play right wingers at right back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Right decision made. Very pragmatic. A manager drops a player who was borderline fitness for a player of similar talent and ability but with no injuries and more experience and people are saying he is mentally unhinged, that its the beginning of the end, that it was terrible way to treat someone. Everyone knows its a 23man swuad, they know there's competition for places and players are at risk to be dropped. He called him in privately and told him his decision and his reasons why. I don't envy the manager in these decisions and thats why he's on the big bucks and we're here on boards. Some perspective people, perspective.

Team Anti-trap having a field day already, wonder will they feel the same if we have a super tournament.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/12020/7786160/Foley-I-feel-betrayed

That's just not right!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

News must have filtered thru to Tuscany about all the criticisms on Boards.....expect a backlash :pac:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=561665

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Will Foley ever play again? Should retire from international football.

Absolute nonsense. He wouldn't have featured in a million years anyway. He'll never play international again cos he won't be picked. However I do feel sympathy for him. Family got tickets and spending a couple of weeks getting excited about going with your country to a major tournament. Could have been handled better yes.

While I don't rate McShane the chances of him seeing action are remote anyway. While I'd rather kelly slotting in at centre back in an emergency I can't see it even coming to this. Trap obviously felt there was a risk a couple of centre backs (including covering ones) might fail to make our opener. He couldn't run the risk. It is a ruthless game and Foley will get on with it as will we all I hope. Now the sooner this crap is put to bed the better, we've a tournament to get on with!

Ormus wrote: »
    Firstly, Seamus Coleman is a right winger. Secondly, when was his last rave review? Certainly not this season.

If I was picking the Ireland team I would try Coleman out as an attacking right back. But I'm not the manager. Trap is. And he doesn't play attacking right backs, let alone play right wingers at right back.
    I was talking about James McCarthy and the Czech Republic game.

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Will Foley ever play again? Should retire from international football.

Absolute nonsense. He wouldn't have featured in a million years anyway. He'll never play international again cos he won't be picked. However I do feel sympathy for him. Family got tickets and spending a couple of weeks getting excited about going with your country to a major tournament. Could have been handled better yes.

While I don't rate McShane the chances of him seeing action are remote anyway. While I'd rather kelly slotting in at centre back in an emergency I can't see it even coming to this. Trap obviously felt there was a risk a couple of centre backs (including covering ones) might fail to make our opener. He couldn't run the risk. It is a ruthless game and Foley will get on with it as will we all I hope. Now the sooner this crap is put to bed the better, we've a tournament to get on with!

Amen to that. Excellently put.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭clubberlang12

Have to disagree with some of this. I can understand Trap preferring MacShane for his versatility in covering full-back and centre-half. However, Trap knew that a number of his defenders were not fully fit and carrying small injuries, so why did he name his 23 man squad for the Euro's so early. If he was so concerned about Foley's fitness why name him in it in the first place? This is not the same as 29 players competing for a squad spot. The squad was already named and Foley would have obviously been delighted in believing he was heading to the Euro's. Foley himself has said that he is fit and statements from the FAI don't mention it being a fitness concern. It is therefore a tactical decision which again brings it back to why he named the squad so early when most nation's waited till final day declarations.

Chances are Foley wouldn't have seen too much action but it is the fact he was named and then dropped from the squad, to me, is a combination of bad decision making and poor man-management.

I was talking about James McCarthy and the Czech Republic game.

You said Coleman.

McCarthy seemed to have an ok season. I don't remember any rave reviews. Anyway, Trap doesn't play attacking midfielders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 325 ✭✭doyler442

The thing with it though is that Trap named his 23-man squad weeks ago, and therefore the 23 named would have thought as long as they keep fit there in. Then there family etc. go buying there flights over and get their accommodation etc.

If you read Foley's response today he says he's fit, was able to train lat week but Trap told him there was no rush and he would be fine to train next week. And then to be told you are no longer in the 23-man squad certainly seems a bit harsh. He even managed 45 minutes last night.

I also question their similar ability, the only thing going for McShane is he can play in more positions, but in my view this means more chances for him to mess up more than anything!!!

Might be a bit sinister to suggest Trap had some master plan to always bring McShane and Green with him, but he's managed to get it anyhow.

Have to disagree with some of this. I can understand Trap preferring MacShane for his versatility in covering full-back and centre-half. However, Trap knew that a number of his defenders were not fully fit and carrying small injuries, so why did he name his 23 man squad for the Euro's so early. If he was so concerned about Foley's fitness why name him in it in the first place? This is not the same as 29 players competing for a squad spot. The squad was already named and Foley would have obviously been delighted in believing he was heading to the Euro's. Foley himself has said that he is fit and statements from the FAI don't mention it being a fitness concern. It is therefore a tactical decision which again brings it back to why he named the squad so early when most nation's waited till final day declarations.

Chances are Foley wouldn't have seen too much action but it is the fact he was named and then dropped from the squad, to me, is a combination of bad decision making and poor decision making.

Have to agree with you there. It was badly handled.

You said Coleman.
    Re-read my post. Coleman was mentioned out of context with the next statement that I made addressing you directly.
    McCarthy seemed to have an ok season. I don't remember any rave reviews. Anyway, Trap doesn't play attacking midfielders.
    This is possibly true. McCarthy isn't strong enough defensively to fit easily in Trap's midfield system.
    McCarthy played all of last season as a defensive midfielder. Out of all our central midfielders, McCarthy is probably the most defensive of all, he very rarely ever got forward.

wigan1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

Some pics from Saturdays game here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Seamus Coleman must feel pretty alienated too.

Coleman was gash this season, and took a serious step back in his development. That's why he wasn't on the plane (and rightly so).

Also, eventhough you haven't noticed - HE ISN'T A RIGHT BACK

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Also, eventhough you haven't noticed - HE ISN'T A RIGHT BACK
    Paul McShane isn't much of a right back either, he is even on record as saying it's not his preferred position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Paul McShane isn't much of a right back either, he is even on record as saying it's not his preferred position.

Okay, well for the cover purposes required here, CB / RB is more valuable than RM / RB

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Wrong decision.
    Foley was never even given a chance to prove his fitness.
    Sounds pretty alienated to me.

His own statement says he was given two days training.

Foley didnt play against Russia, Slovakia, Was rubbish against Italy and got substitued because he was a liability, didnt play against Macedonia. Didnt feature against Estonia.

Feelings and emotions blurring the reality of fact and tough decisions. Its a cruel world out there. He should have waited until the official teams were handed in before relying on the squad Trap named, since it is his perogative and his obligation to make changes as he see's fit. Based on the facts; he was unlucky with his hamstring and unluckt that other players struggling with injuries that forced Trap to be more pragmatic and selected McShane. Again I say the right decision.
    Re-read my post. Coleman was mentioned out of context with the next McCarthy played all of last season as a defensive midfielder. Out of all our central midfielders, McCarthy is probably the most defensive of all, he very rarely ever got forward.

wigan1.jpg

Your using is an image of a system Martinez used for 5/6 games and NOT and image of average positions over a season. I agree he could be worked with the Irish squad as a central midfielder under a different system but not a 4-4-2. Your interpreting this to suit your own agenda. Yes he was used more in a reserved role in this system but he had more players around him to cover gaps, he was used to help spread the zones defensively and move the ball forward when he got it. In a traditional 4-4-2 he would be swamped and receive less help from a defender stepping forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Just to put it into perspective. Foley is a player who could only manage 11 starts for the worst team in the PL this past season. He was never going to contribute to the team. O'Shea and Kelly were both ahead of him and I'm not sure why he was named in the first place.

My objection is who he has been replaced with. Personally, I'd have gone for Marc Wilson as I can really see us struggle at left back if anything happens to Stephen Ward...infact, we may struggle even with Ward. There are only 7 defenders in the squad which I feel is a mistake and I feel Simon Cox should not be in the squad at the expense of another defender.

My 8 defenders would have been;

O'Shea, Kelly, Ward, O'Dea, Dunne, St. Ledger, Wilson and Clark

With the way things are set up though, the chances of seeing Paul McShane actually play in the tournamnet is actually not as far fetched as people make out! If something happens to either Dunne or St. Ledger, McShane willl be in - either at centre back or right back with O'Shea moving accross!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Your using is an image of a system Martinez used for 5/6 games
    and NOT and image of average positions over a season. I agree he could be worked with the Irish squad as a central midfielder under a different system but not a 4-4-2. Your interpreting this to suit your own agenda. Yes he was used more in a reserved role in this system but he had more players around him to cover gaps, he was used to help spread the zones defensively and move the ball forward when he got it. In a traditional 4-4-2 he would be swamped and receive less help from a defender stepping forward.

No, he played 3-man defense since just after the 8 losses in a row stretch, so late 2011.

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Just to put it into perspective. Foley is a player who could only manage 11 starts for the worst team in the PL this past season. He was never going to contribute to the team. O'Shea and Kelly were both ahead of him and I'm not sure why he was named in the first place.

My objection is who he has been replaced with. Personally, I'd have gone for Marc Wilson as I can really see us struggle at left back if anything happens to Stephen Ward...infact, we may struggle even with Ward. There are only 7 defenders in the squad which I feel is a mistake and I feel Simon Cox should not be in the squad at the expense of another defender.

With the way things are set up though, the chances of seeing Paul McShane actually play in the tournamnet is actually not as far fetched as people make out! If something happens to either Dunne or St. Ledger, McShane willl be in - either at centre back or right back with O'Shea moving accross!

Wilson is definitely a better player than Ward, and also more versatile, but hasn't shown the same desire to play for Ireland.

I agree that Cox could have been sacrificed, no need for 5 strikers.

Surely if O'Shea, Dunne, St.Ledger or Ward get injured, Kelly will come in? Or O'Dea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    lol at the Trapp haters.

Kevin Foley would have seen no action in the tournament, and neither will Paul McShane. McShane is also known to be hugely popular in the dressing room. This is not an issue no matter how much you want it to be so.

Who would have been in the squad if his father wasn't seriously ill?

Not a Trap hater at all. I just think he could have handled the situation better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I wouldn't be surprised if both McShane and Green started games, let alone played a part. I think they will almost definitely play at some point because "they know the system".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Ganymede Glow

Im going to be honest, when I seen McShane and Green on the standy by list I knew they would both make their way into the squad. But they're there now and there's f all we can do about it so they'll have my full support

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

I don't think McShane or Green will see a minute on the pitch during this campaign unless there's multiple injuries or something bizarre like us winning our first two games happens.

They're there alright but they're also definitely the last names in the pecking order. McShane didn't get a minute during the qualification campaign and Green hasn't had a look in in over a year now.

• Advertisement

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if both McShane and Green started games, let alone played a part. I think they will almost definitely play at some point because "they know the system".
    Luckily we've 3 decent players definitely ahead of Green in the pecking order. 2 injuries to CM players would be the height of unluckiness

McShane won't play either unless there is an abbundance of injuries in defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

kitakyushu wrote: »
    I don't think McShane or Green will see a minute on the pitch during this campaign unless there's multiple injuries or something bizarre like us winning our first two games happens.

If we win our first two games, he can call up Andy Keogh for all I care!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

They're there alright but they're also definitely the last names in the pecking order. McShane didn't get a minute during the qualification campaign and Green hasn't had a look in in over a year now.
    Luckily we've 3 decent players definitely ahead of Green in the pecking order. 2 injuries to CM players would be the height of unluckiness

McShane won't play either unless there is an abbundance of injuries in defence.

Why do people keep thinking that injuries has anything to do with it? Trap isn't going to play the same team 3 times in 8 days. Green will definitely start the 2nd or 3rd game.

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    Why do people keep thinking that injuries has anything to do with it? Trap isn't going to play the same team 3 times in 8 days. Green will definitely start the 2nd or 3rd game.
    Green will definitely start against the world champions? Or in what could well be a must-win game?

Come off it.

Barring injury/suspension Trap will play the exact same team for the 3 bar if someone is terribly off form

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭bren2001

Green will definitely start against the world champions? Or in what could well be a must-win game?

Come off it.

Barring injury/suspension Trap will play the exact same team for the 3 bar if someone is terribly off form

Trap has said several times that he is concerned over player fitness as you cant expect players to play 3 games in 8 days. Green will definitely get a shot in the Euros, McShane may not as the back 4 may stay the same.

• Advertisement

Come off it.

Well it won't be the exact same team for the 3 x 90 mins. I would expect some rotation of Gibson/Andrews/Whelan and some rotation of the wingers and strikers, whether that be changing the starting line up or just from the bench. I wouldn't be surprised to see Green given 20 mins at some stage but I would be surprised to him start.

The back 4 will be kept the same if fit.

Come off it.

We're playing Croatia, Spain and Italy. All three teams will pass us off the park, in the process wearing the boll*cks off the players as they chase shadows. Now whatever state the players are in after the Croatia match, I can only imagine what the fitness levels will be like following a game with Spain. Two games like that in the space of 4 days.

I find it hard to see how Green wont make an appearance.

Well it won't be the exact same team for the 3 x 90 mins. I would expect some rotation of Gibson/Andrews/Whelan and some rotation of the wingers and strikers, whether that be changing the starting line up or just from the bench. I wouldn't be surprised to see Green given 20 mins at some stage but I would be surprised to him start.

The back 4 will be kept the same if fit.

I'd see Green getting a game quicker than Gibson. He's more of a direct replacement for Whelan/Andrews. Gibson will be reduntant if we have zero possession of the ball, which will pretty much be the case for the majority of the time, and as he's not exactly a player who gets stuck in, I can only see gibson coming on as part of a 5 man midfield trying to protect a lead (or more than likely protecting a draw).

From studying Traps selections at WC2002 and EC2004 it would appear that he is definitely in favour of squad rotation and giving many of the players time on the pitch.

At WC2002 17 out of the 23 (or 17 out 21 if you discount reserve goalies) started at least 1 out of the 3 group games. 19 out of 21 saw at least some time on the pitch during the 3 group games.

At EC2004 17 out of the 23 (or 17 out 21 if you discount reserve goalies) started at least 1 out of the 3 group games. 20 out of 21 saw at least some time on the pitch during the 3 group games.

Most of the rotations seemed to be present in midfield and up front. He tried to keep the back 5 as stable as possible and afaik only ever changed it for injury or suspension.

These were two groups that Italy struggled in so I doubt resting for restings sake became much of an issue. Now whether he does the same for Ireland where the strength in depth is probably not comparable to Italy is another question but one would assume therefore that the pattern shall repeat itself to a certain degree.

From studying Traps selections at WC2002 and EC2004 it would appear that he is definitely in favour of squad rotation and giving many of the players time on the pitch.

At WC2002 17 out of the 23 (or 17 out 21 if you discount reserve goalies) started at least 1 out of the 3 group games. 19 out of 21 saw at least some time on the pitch during the 3 group games.

At EC2004 17 out of the 23 (or 17 out 21 if you discount reserve goalies) started at least 1 out of the 3 group games. 20 out of 21 saw at least some time on the pitch during the 3 group games.

Most of the rotations seemed to be present in midfield and up front. He tried to keep the back 5 as stable as possible and afaik only ever changed it for injury or suspension.

These were two groups that Italy struggled in so I doubt resting for restings sake became much of an issue. Now whether he does the same for Ireland where the strength in depth is probably not comparable to Italy is another question but one would assume therefore that the pattern shall repeat itself to a certain degree.

Sounds like a pretty solid theory it has to be said.

That still means that 4 outfield players got no starts each time.

Lets hope the two Pauls make up half of that 4 this time round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

TV3 highlights of the game:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,350 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

repost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,313 ✭✭✭✭briany

I can't see Paul Green getting a start although, sadly, I can see him coming on at some point but he will offer zero & zilch to Ireland's chances. He'll give a few chances to the team's opponents though. That also goes for McShane. I know both of these players get a lot of stick and it's true that it does often go too far but it is also true that both players are prone to making errors during a game that go above and beyond the usual to be a bit embarrassing for the team and that's why they should not get on the pitch, they're just out of their depth.

You sum it up well in the last paragraph tbh. Italy lost their opening game in 2002 iirc??? Croatia I think. Obviously changes had to be made. The thing with them is that they were expected to win both groups. In 2004 would I be correct in saying they failed to win their opening two against Denmark and Sweden? Two games they should be winning. Again had to make changes. (By the way I'm solely relying on memory here so sorry if getting results wrong).

With ireland we're not expected to win our group like Italy, however in the (unfortunately very possible) event that we to lose our opening two and Croatia and Spain can't be caught I'd imagine wholesale changes for Italy game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Laois_Man wrote: »

To add further perspective, Foley's been replaced by a guy who didn't play a single PL game this season, instead playing 21 games on loan at 2 middle of the road Championship clubs. Also Foley had an ankle injury for much of the first half of the season, he would definitely have played more.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

awec wrote: »

Georgie Best? Sure why not have Wayne Rooney while they're at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,432 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

They should have put in picture of John Terry lifting the trophy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Sure hasn't Ronaldinho Irish grandparents?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Duff wrote: »
    Sure hasn't Ronaldinho Irish grandparents?
    no but robert o carlos can play
    just like maccadona could have

Mesut O'Zil was another one that got away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

david o spina

fernand o torres

mari o gomez

christian o ronaldo

all could have worn the green jersey

Corholio wrote: »
    To add further perspective, Foley's been replaced by a guy who didn't play a single PL game this season, instead playing 21 games on loan at 2 middle of the road Championship clubs. Also Foley had an ankle injury for much of the first half of the season, he would definitely have played more.

Yeah McShane is a Championship player and not even a very good one, but he is replacing a player who wasn't always a regular (even when fit) in the worst team in the Premiership. It's not as if McShane has been preferred to a Champions League player.

We can do this to death. Fact is the change was made cos Trap feels it covers us more for our injuries.

Whether he is right or wrong, maybe time will tell. Lets support the team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Yeah McShane is a Championship player and not even a very good one, but he is replacing a player who wasn't always a regular (even when fit) in the worst team in the Premiership. It's not as if McShane has been preferred to a Champions League player.

We can do this to death. Fact is the change was made cos Trap feels it covers us more for our injuries.

Whether he is right or wrong, maybe time will tell. Lets support the team.

I agree, lets get behind the team and see what happens.

It's just the thought of a classic back against the walls Irish performance from our starting 11, holding our own and then a niggle forces one of our defenders off and McShane comes on and allows a diabolical goal in will hurt my soul terribly.

• Advertisement

HazDanz wrote: »
    I agree, lets get behind the team and see what happens.

It's just the thought of a classic back against the walls Irish performance from our starting 11, holding our own and then a niggle forces one of our defenders off and McShane comes on and allows a diabolical goal in will hurt my soul terribly.

Me too, but to be honest I think McShane could shine in a backs to the wall situation. He is strong and good in the air and great at throwing himself at the ball for blocks.

I'd be far more scared of him in an open game one on one with a skilfull and/or fast winger.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement