Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Why doesn't Delaney get more of a look in? Captaining a Palace side that has done well the past couple of years and generally turning in solid performances. What am I missing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Why doesn't Delaney get more of a look in? Captaining a Palace side that has done well the past couple of years and generally turning in solid performances. What am I missing?

He has gotten some chances with Ireland, hasn't been amazing.
    Plus while Palace may be going well, it's also about the individual performances.

Another factor us that he is already 33, so maybe if he's not going to play MON prefers to have somebody younger in the squad like Keogh or Clark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

I think there is still bad feeling between Delaney and Keane from their time at Ipswich.

Out of O'Shea, Wilson, Keogh and Clark, who would you drop for Delaney ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Couldn't drop any of them. As was said before Delaney is doing well at his club but we need the young lads to get the experience to move us forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Delaney has scored a few crackers over the years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

He has had one of those careers where one or two managers really like him and apparently others not so much.

Had one of those managers been a long time Irish manager perhaps he could have had quite a few caps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

It's nothing to do with his age or how well he is playing. It's simply an issue with Keane. Keane "semi-apologised" in his latest book for how he treated Delaney. It was as much of an apology as you will get out of Keane anyway.

I'd wager he just doesn't want to have anything to do with Keane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

MON has said he has spoken to Delaney and that he wants to concentrate on his club football.I suppose he wants to get as many years as possible at the top before he retires considering he was a bit of a late bloomer.I think he mightn't be too pushed playing international football as it didn't seem like he was close to the first eleven.He was in the provisional squad for Georgia game but didn't make the cut that's not much good for a 33 year old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Greailsh playing for Villa tonight. Playing well, looks a good player.

The dirty dog !
    fair play if he bags Taylor swift

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

I've a feeling that Calvin Harris might have something to say about that. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Greailsh playing for Villa tonight. Playing well, looks a good player.

Yes he made his fist league start last night and played 70 minutes. Great game and a very impressive showing by Grealish who was dangerous throughout the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

The dirty dog !
    fair play if he bags Taylor swift

It's actually a bull**** story. He met her at a concert, got a picture and that's where it began and ended. Tony asked him a question about her, Sledge always up for a bit of banter replied cryptically about their "relationship." Funny all the same!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Ireland U17 girls who beat England 2-0 tonight showing great skill.Stephanie Roche better watch out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

news coming through on twitter by a number of sources that Ray Treacy has passed away tonight

RIP

major bill wrote: »
    news coming through on twitter by a number of sources that Ray Treacy has passed away tonight

RIP

Sad news RIP Ray

Will always remember him doing the co commentary for RTE when I was a kid
    on the 3 o clock games on Sports Stadium and the Ireland games.

Another disaster of a performance by John O'Shea at the weekend.
    He's generally been solid for Ireland so far, but still a little worrying to see his struggles at club level.

Hopefully just a blip, and not a permanent decline, although he is fast coming up to his 34th birthday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Another disaster of a performance by John O'Shea at the weekend.
    He's generally been solid for Ireland so far, but still a little worrying to see his struggles at club level.

Hopefully just a blip, and not a permanent decline, although he is fast coming up to his 34th birthday

To be fair he's not the only defender who had difficulty this season coping with Bolasie's pace - if you play John O'Shea against the likes of Bolasie you need someone beside him with a bit of speed. He was never known for his blistering pace but for his reading of the game, interceptions, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Personally, regarding the last game against Crystal Palace, I think two of the goals came from long balls that he didn't attack in the air. Maybe I'm being a little critical of him but, if your not the quickest centre back, but are relatively good in the air, then you should be looking to attack those balls head on (no pun intended) and send it back where it came from.

That said though, I'm certainly not anti John O'Shea. It would be hard for even the best of players to look good in that Sunderland team considering the way they're playing at the moment. The only way they'll survive is if three other teams want to get relegated more than they do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

€90 a ticket for the England friendly apparently

Baby-throwing-money-GIF.gif

Trond wrote: »

Baby-throwing-money-GIF.gif

1. Bloody hell, €90.

2. Great gif.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

A CEO of Delaney's caliber does not come cheap.

Someone has to pay his wages.

For some explicable reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Trond wrote: »

Obscene.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

Are there tickets available for the Scotland match still?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

sugarman wrote: »
    €90 is all that's left. 15k season tickets were sold, then each of those were given first choice to buy two additional tickets each. Then add in 5k away fans.

Agreed.

I got the season ticket for 180 which had Oman, USA, England, Scotland, Poland and Gilbraltar.

Decent value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

noodler wrote: »
    Agreed.

I got the season ticket for 180 which had Oman, USA, England, Scotland, Poland and Gilbraltar.

Decent value.

With only half of them being qualifiers imo it's not that great value. €30 a match is about right or even slightly above what should be value, and 3 of them only friendlies too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

noodler wrote: »
    Agreed.

Decent value.

My season ticket behind the goal only cost 138 which was great value in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Corholio wrote: »
    With only half of them being qualifiers imo it's not that great value. €30 a match is about right or even slightly above what should be value, and 3 of them only friendlies too.

England and USA are incredibly popular friendlies.

Well worth it.

Anyway, the point is the 90 euro for England solo is the remaining tickets, probably premium too.

• Advertisement

Grealish likely to play v England, or even v Scotland perhaps?

Hopefully against Scotland. Even if it's just five or so minutes to tie him down to us!! :D :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Genuinely don't see why he couldn't start ahead of Hoolahan in the Scottish game. He's a gamechanger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Grealish could very well start in Lansdowne in June alright...for England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

he was apparently MOTM in today's game - I assume the English FA will be talking to his people this week :(

I thought that was all sorted with Grealish.

loyatemu wrote: »
    he was apparently MOTM in today's game - I assume the English FA will be talking to his people this week :(

I thought Fabien Delph was MOTM. Not that it matters as it was a toss up between the two of them anyway!! :D :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I thought that was all sorted with Grealish.

Not until he plays a full competitive match for us (I think?)

It's been sorted, he'll be playing for Ireland.

• Advertisement

Stephen Hunt has this advice for Grealish

"Jack Grealish’s intentions regarding Ireland remain a little unclear but if he does finally end up in a senior squad I would give him one bit of advice: study what Stephen Ireland did and do the opposite."

http://www.sportsjoe.ie/football/stephen-hunt-has-some-stunning-advice-for-jack-grealish-if-he-wants-to-make-it-with-ireland/21720

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Redo91

Technically that's true but he said at the FAI awards that he was looking forward to getting back in the Irish fold next season so I assume that means his mind is made up. Like was the case with McCarthy before he played his first competitive game for us I have some doubts but I do think he will end up declaring for Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I think Richie Towell is worth a call up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

It's been sorted, he'll be playing for Ireland.

What makes you say it's sorted? Lee Hendrie was today urging Hodgson to get on to Grealish and get him in the England side.

McCarthy from a very early age had indicated a desire to play for Ireland but I haven't heard such sentiments from Grealish. And before anyone cites him putting on the green jersey at youth level as evidence, Patrick Bamford did that and switched to England later. Michael Keane did the same thing.

I don't think it's worth getting excited about as we could be setting ourselves up for a big letdown.

Happy to bet 20quid on this. He will play for England.

Hope I'm wrong, but...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭rebelomar

I really like the look of Grealish and if I had to call it right now I'd say he will go on to be a serious player...in time a top four club player maybe.

But irrespective of this it shows what a lack of up and coming potential we really have in this country at present that we are so desperate to tie a kid down after a couple of admittedly fine performances.

This is also a kid born in Britain and one who did not emerge through our own system. Now I also understand that no matter how much our own system might ever improve that a kid with this much potential and dual nationality is worth aggressively pursuing but it just seems 90% of our biggest prospects these days aren't born or developed here.

We are at the mercy of kids with dual nationality declaring at the moment and that is enough for me to see our own system is flawed.

Also if Grealish or kids like Bamford and Crowley declare for England you have to respect their decision.

As somebody who was born and raised in this country I wouldn't have any idea the conflict that would occur in a young lads thinking when making that kind of a huge decision. It's a tough call to make both emotionally and professionally at a young age

• Advertisement

Happy to bet 20quid on this. He will play for England.

Hope I'm wrong, but...

You're betting 20 quid on something you hope wont happen, who are you betting 20 quid with?

Last month he said he's looking forward to playing with Ireland. He'll play for Ireland.

You're betting 20 quid on something you hope wont happen, who are you betting 20 quid with?

Last month he said he's looking forward to playing with Ireland. He'll play for Ireland.

I think he will play for England. The bet is open.

Just seen this

The Telegraph today predicts a potential "international tug of war" and suggests Harry Kane's decision to snub Ireland could be a warning.
    "Having thought they had managed to get Tottenham striker Harry Kane to commit his international future to Ireland a year ago when he was struggling to get into the Spurs side, O’Neill knows there is a danger they will lose Grealish following his rise to prominence at Villa."

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/jack-grealish-could-be-called-into-both-squads-for-ireland-versus-england-friendly-31157018.html

rebelomar wrote: »
    I really like the look of Grealish and if I had to call it right now I'd say he will go on to be a serious player...in time a top four club player maybe.

But irrespective of this it shows what a lack of up and coming potential we really have in this country at present that we are so desperate to tie a kid down after a couple of admittedly fine performances.

This is also a kid born in Britain and one who did not emerge through our own system. Now I also understand that no matter how much our own system might ever improve that a kid with this much potential and dual nationality is worth aggressively pursuing but it just seems 90% of our biggest prospects these days aren't born or developed here.

We are at the mercy of kids with dual nationality declaring at the moment and that is enough for me to see our own system is flawed.

Also if Grealish or kids like Bamford and Crowley declare for England you have to respect their decision.

As somebody who was born and raised in this country I wouldn't have any idea the conflict that would occur in a young lads thinking when making that kind of a huge decision. It's a tough call to make both emotionally and professionally at a young age

Who says their decisions aren't being respected?

Ireland has always had players not born in Ireland playing for the Irish team, in fact I'd say we have more Irish born players in and around the team now than at times in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I've a bad feeling he will choose England also. The fact that he won FAI young player of the year and went to the awards ceremony to accept it was a good sign but the more he impresses for Villa between now and September the worse it is for Ireland I think, if he starts the FA cup final and was to play well there would probably be an attempt from England to convince him to play for them, unfortunately in modern football it's probably worth a lot more to him to declare for England.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement