Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

I think he will play for England. The bet is open.

I think you're wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

TheCitizen wrote: »
    I think you're wrong.

I think you're wrong.

Time will tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Just seen this

The Telegraph today predicts a potential "international tug of war" and suggests Harry Kane's decision to snub Ireland could be a warning.
    "Having thought they had managed to get Tottenham striker Harry Kane to commit his international future to Ireland a year ago when he was struggling to get into the Spurs side, O’Neill knows there is a danger they will lose Grealish following his rise to prominence at Villa."

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/jack-grealish-could-be-called-into-both-squads-for-ireland-versus-england-friendly-31157018.html

Quotes from O Neill referencing losing the player to England : none.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

I'm 90% sure Grealish declare for England. His Dad wants him playing for England and by all accounts, he has a big influence on him.

That interview with Given today confirmed as much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭rebelomar

Who says their decisions aren't being respected?

Ireland has always had players not born in Ireland playing for the Irish team, in fact I'd say we have more Irish born players in and around the team now than at times in the past.

Wasn't mentioning anybody on the thread...I was simply pointing out it's a tough decision for them.

Both we both know if they choose England long term they will receive plenty of flak in the media etc which is a pity imo

Just seen this

The Telegraph today predicts a potential "international tug of war" and suggests Harry Kane's decision to snub Ireland could be a warning.
    "Having thought they had managed to get Tottenham striker Harry Kane to commit his international future to Ireland a year ago when he was struggling to get into the Spurs side, O’Neill knows there is a danger they will lose Grealish following his rise to prominence at Villa."

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/jack-grealish-could-be-called-into-both-squads-for-ireland-versus-england-friendly-31157018.html

Ireland never "thought" they had Harry Kane, a "quote" from The Telegraph in the Irish indo, a quote from who in the Telegraph? Ireland made an enquiry about Kane's eligibility, he never even played for Ireland at youth level at any stage. There was never any debate about Kane like there has been about Grealish or others like James McCarthy in the recent past. MON should pick him in the squad for the friendly v England.

Nib wrote: »
    I'm 90% sure Grealish declare for England. His Dad wants him playing for England and by all accounts, he has a big influence on him.

What interview with Given?

I think you're wrong.

Time will tell.

I'd be happy to have a virtual make believe 20 quid bet with anyone about anything:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I didn't see anything in Given's interview today that said anything like that. I think it's still up in the air who he will play for. First it was looking like England, then his comments at the awards swung it towards Ireland. I think it's hard to say to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Just have this image of all of this playing out like that scene in Jerry Maguire,

MON calls the Grealish household thinking that Jack is going to declare for us brings around the jersey and the best bottle of whiskey he could find then the phone rings MON answers it as the Grealish's tell him the media have been calling all day and its Roy Hodgson on the phone,

MON leaves the house and goes on the bozze.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

TBH, he's just seriously considering his options. Sure, if he actually fulfills his potential he can have a successful career with England. But, on the other hand, should his performances slip, or should circumstances arise where he fails to reach maximum potential, he may end up being left out in the cold like so many other English "starlets".

At least with Ireland, there's much less competition for a place in the starting eleven, let alone the squad!

If I was to give young Jack just one reason to opt for Ireland, it would be the English media. One bad game on the international front and they will hound you for ages. They are extremely fickle vultures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

So such thing as a successful international career and having england caps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

His Dad wants him playing for England? But isn't his Dad Irish? I was under the impression his father was the best hope of Ireland acquiring his services.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭LowOdour

I didnt have any worries about him not declaring for Ireland, but hearing Shay Given say that he is confused over his future shows that there is a real doubt of him putting on the green jersey.

There is a big difference on taking time away to concentrate on club football and been unsure of who to declare for at international level.

I would worry about the knock on effect if he does chose England over Ireland. If there are other players who are 50/50 on who to play for, they might look at Jack's decision and be swayed.

Whoever he declares for, I hope he has a good career. You would want all the hulabaloo to be worth it in years to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

At the end of the day it should boil down to whether he feels English or Irish and no one other than him should disrespect that (not saying that anyone is or will).

As an England fan I hope he chooses England but if he feels himself Irish despite being born in England and living there his entire life then fair play to him.

Have to say it is embarrassing having your National team depend on a kid who has never grown up here and waiting to make his decision.

Personally, he should play for England, but if he does choose us then lucky us.

But we should be producing our own talent, not depending on England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Redo91

Why would his Dad, who is from Dublin, want him to play for England?

Have to say it is embarrassing having your Natioinasl team depend on a kid who has never grown up here and waiting to make his decision.

This kid has represented Ireland at football since he was 14. He spoke to the current senior national manager last Autumn and indicated he wanted to concentrate on getting his club career up and running. Last month he said he was looking forward to representing Ireland again.

The Irish national team's future does not hinge on whether he decides to continue to represent Ireland or to switch allegiances. There's no-one getting embarrassed about it except maybe you.

Why should he play for England if he feels Irish and wants to continue to represent Ireland, as he has done up 'til now.

We need to do more to develop players in Ireland and develop the domestic league. Whether we do that or not, there will still be players born in England and elsewhere that will want to play for Ireland, and they are entitled to.

This kid has represented Ireland at football since he was 14. He spoke to the current senior national manager last Autumn and indicated he wanted to concentrate on getting his club career up and running. Last month he said he was looking forward to representing Ireland again.

The Irish national team's future does not hinge on whether he decides to continue to represent Ireland or to switch allegiances. There's no-one getting embarrassed about it except maybe you.

Why should he play for England if he feels Irish and wants to continue to represent Ireland, as he has done up 'til now.

We need to do more to develop players in Ireland and develop the domestic league. Whether we do that or not, there will still be players born in England and elsewhere that will want to play for Ireland, and they are entitled to.

Are you John Delaney?

Because to be quite frank that 4th paragraphs says a lot. No ambition, just hoping we have Irish emigrants, who are good enough to produce a boy, who is a good footballer and wants to play for Ireland..

Ain't we lucky.

• Advertisement

Have to say it is embarrassing having your National team depend on a kid who has never grown up here and waiting to make his decision.

He has played for us at underage level so nothing embarrising about wanting to see what his decision is going to be.

And define "producing our own talent"? Do you mean having players only born in Ireland or having our players play in LOI?

Ireland teams have spent more time working with Grealish than England has, so you probably need to clear up what point you are trying to make

LowOdour wrote: »

And define "producing our own talent"? Do you mean having players only born in Ireland or having our players play in LOI?

Ireland teams have spent more time working with Grealish than England has, so you probably need to clear up what point you are trying to make

Players at Underage level playing in Ireland who are good enough to move to clubs either here or abroad and won't be sent home in a week cause technically they ain't have it.

If you honestly think it is the Irish Football Association who has got Grealish this far then that's a very laughable comment.

Players at Underage level playing in Ireland who are good enough to move to clubs either here or abroad and won't be sent home in a week cause technically they ain't have it.

If you honestly think it is the Irish Football Association who has got Grealish this far then that's a very laughable comment.

Are you talking about the England national team setup or the English leagues.

At underage level, the Ireland national team setup has done more than the England team with regards to Grealish. What is hard to understand about that

If you are talking about the English leagues, well then yes they have done the most to help produce good Irish players.

I'm struggling to figure out is your problem with players playing in England or non-irish born players declaring for us?

Are you John Delaney?

Because to be quite frank that 4th paragraphs says a lot. No ambition, just hoping we have Irish emigrants, who are good enough to produce a boy, who is a good footballer and wants to play for Ireland..

Ain't we lucky.

That 4th paragraph "says a lot" he says, it says nothing of the sort that you are saying it says.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

That 4th paragraph "says a lot" he says, it says nothing of the sort that you are saying it says.

Says you!

The IFA? What have they got to do with this?

• Advertisement

noodler wrote: »
    Says you!

That's what I said, says I.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

"Opinions are like assholes" is the phrase that comes to mind reading the last couple of pages here.

The IFA? What have they got to do with this?

Well done dragging this **** off topic.

Go you!!

It sure does. You're talking ****. End of.

Well done dragging this **** off topic.

Go you!!

Maybe you should arm yourself with a bit of knowledge and some background facts, you've been shooting opinions from the hip on this matter a lot.

• Advertisement

Maybe you should arm yourself with a bit of knowledge and some background facts, you've been shooting opinions from the hip on this matter a lot.

Its like talking to school kid.

All I said at end of day is that I reckon he will play for England with and that this country needs to do more in this country then trying to be lazy ***** and get others to do it for them.

You disagree and I don't have problem with that, but grow **** up.

I'm out.

Its like talking to school kid.

All I said at end of day is that I reckon he will play for England with and that this country needs to do more in this country then trying to be lazy ***** and get others to do it for them.

You disagree and I don't have problem with that, but grow **** up.

I'm out.

You didn't just say you reckon he will play for England, you said: "Personally, he should play for England." When I and others informed you that actually he has been representing Ireland at football since he was 14, you then shift the conversation to Ireland not producing enough talent - a different conversation entirely - and then start getting angry when people point out facts to you.

You're out is right, good luck.

You didn't just say you reckon he will play for England, you said: "Personally, he should play for England." When I and others informed you that actually he has been representing Ireland at football since he was 14, you then shift the conversation to Ireland not producing enough talent - a different conversation entirely - and then start getting angry when people point out facts to you.

You're out is right, good luck.

Lol.

Lol.

I thought you were "out":pac:

I thought you were "out":pac:

Well I just laughed at a liar.

Now I'm out ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Why he has played with Ireland since he was 14?
    He has been developed by Ireland as well as Aston Villa.

MD1990 wrote: »
    Why he has played with Ireland since he was 14?

Cause its obvious he wants to play for them.

If he really wanted to play for Ireland, he have made up his mind and stop dicking around on twitter long ago.

Its obvious he has doubts. I don't blame him.

Edit: developed by Ireland? Not really. Played for us yes, but can't really say Ireland developed him

Can you answer my previous question?
    You are quite incoherent with what you are saying, and all I can see is that you want Irish players to be produced in/by Ireland

The vast majority of players who have played at senior level for ROI have been brought up through the English FA system. If you want them to be brought up through an FAI system, then we may aswell say goodbye to been anyway competitive in the international scene for the next 50 years. Players, Academies, leagues dont all just happen overnight. They cost money. Alot of that money is generated through the Senior ROI team. If we dont have a competitive senior ROI team, well I guess you can figure the rest out yourself.

My head is sore trying to explain stuff to you.

Cause its obvious he wants to play for them.

If he really wanted to play for Ireland, he have made up his mind and stop dicking around on twitter long ago.

Its obvious he has doubts. I don't blame him.
    He was called up by England when he was 15 & declined to play for them. So since he has doubts he shouldn't play for England either?
    Obviously he should make his own decision but we shouldn't just give up on him playing for Ireland.
    Its not obvious he wants to play fo England at all.

LowOdour wrote: »
    My head is sore trying to explain stuff to you.

I never asked you to explain **** all to me.

• Advertisement

He was called up by England when he was 15 & declined to play for them. So since he has doubts he shouldn't play for England either?
    Obviously he should make his own decision but we shouldn't just give up on him playing for Ireland.
    Its not obvious he wants to play fo England at all.

If its true that he declined to play for England then that changes few things I will admit.

Its first I heard of it, but take your word.

If its true that he declined to play for England then that changes few things I will admit.

Have a read of this article
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/grealish-pledges-his-future-to-boys-in-green-29455715.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I don't care tbh. If he's in doubt he can **** off. McCarthy has been desperately underwhelming to date. Wanting to play and being proud to do so is a pre requisite as we'll always be weaker than our opposition.

Well I just laughed at a liar.

Now I'm out ;)

Are you calling me a liar now. Point out where I "lied" there.

I'm quoting back to you words you have written yourself, you are deliberately misinterpreting what I have said, in that reference to a "4th paragraph" a while back, and you're calling me a liar?

That changes things does it. Also the fact that he has represented Ireland since he was 14 changes things, doesn't it.

Like I said earlier, perhaps you should inform yourself a bit first before jumping in.

Cheers for that.

I see his father was on Newstalk this morning. He said (jokeing I presume) that his son should play one 45 minutes for Ireland and the other 45 for England.

That changes things does it. Also the fact that he has represented Ireland since he was 14 changes things, doesn't it.

Like I said earlier, perhaps you should inform yourself a bit first before jumping in.

That doesn't change anything. Everyone knows that he has played for Ireland as a child. That should have zero impact on his decision as an adult.

Beefy78 wrote: »
    That doesn't change anything. Everyone knows that he has played for Ireland as a child. That should have zero impact on his decision as an adult.

Well, not zero, that makes no sense.

FIFA obviously disagree (not that that means a huge amount obvsiously).

A decision which was made on his behalf as a child shouldn't mean that he has an obligation to play for a particular team now that he is an adult and can make an informed decision.

• Advertisement

Beefy78 wrote: »
    FIFA obviously disagree (not that that means a huge amount obvsiously).

A decision which was made on his behalf as a child shouldn't mean that he has an obligation to play for a particular team now that he is an adult and can make an informed decision.

To say it plays zero impact on his decision now though?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement