Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

It's gas at people trying to defend O Neill.

A man on 1 million a Year, who will have to wait between 11 months at least for another competitive win.

O Neill is a hopeless manager, who was found out big time yesterday.

We have been poor in every single game, no sign of improvement, or any bit of creative thinking.

It's hoof the ball up to Walters and hope it just falls to right person, but even when Walters does win header nobody is there to follow on..

When we got it to the wings nobody was in box to get on end of headers or even outside box waiting for poor clearance.

On Tartan Army's site they are saying we are Stone Age and no game plan, they even feel sorry for us. That's saying a lot

Its possible to get your point across with the hyperbole. We were the better team against Scotland. We played the better football. Any talk of them "feeling sorry for us" is hilarious. Nearly every win by them in this group has come via a lucky deflection or own goal.

We are no great shakes....they are no better. If they get the third spot they will be hammered in the playoffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭miroslavklose

Long on the bench ??
    The only striker who broke into double figures this season. Baffled !!
    Is seven double figures now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

eire4 wrote: »
    I can certainly see where many people have very valid points to make about O'Neill's team selections and the performances of various players.
    But for me all this campaign and yesterday has done has brought home to roost the totally bankrupt player development policy or lack thereof of the FAI. Fact is the current Irish squad is in my opinion the worst since at least the early 1980's. We simply do not have any world class players in any positions. Many of our players are second tier journey men pros and it is not as if this is just a bad spell and we have a great crop of players coming up.
    For so long the FAI has abdicated the responsability for developing our talent to English based clubs. This worked well for a long time but since the advent of the massive TV contracts and the explosion of the epl into basically a world all star league in terms of where players are coming from young Irish talent has got pushed way down the pecking order. This is reflected in the makeup of the current Irish squad in terms of the level the players are playing at.
    I have said before and will say again at a minimum the FAI needs to take charge of the top 40 or so 13-17 year old Irish kids and have them developed in a full time fully professional residential academy. They and the local clubs need to reach a deal for the clubs to give up their best players to such an academy and maybe get them back at times for big games. But the reality is that the non professional development model in place through the clubs in Ireland leaves our best young talent way behind technically and unless this changes Ireland is going to continue to struggle at the international level for some time to come.

Complete poo.

Check out Iceland's Squad: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iceland_national_football_team

They head up a group containing Turkey, Holland and Czech Rep.

People throwing around this excuse that our players aren't good enough. A scan around the groups shows you what complete w*nk that theory is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Yet again in my view the lack of an out and out goalscorer we can rely on has cost us. Keane is the closest we have to it and he's getting old. We desperately need someone to step up and fill that spot. In years when Keane was on flying form he'd save us when we didn't deserve anything, now we're stuck to knocking into the box and hopefully getting a scrappy goal.

EDIT: PLus with all those corners and a good delivery man like brady we should be making the most of those

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/men-the-losers-in-fitness-fight-31300497.html

I just put this piece up just to highlight the bolded part above.

Is it not a bit below the belt to be implying there was some sort of racist element to Sterling being booed last week?

It would be far less embarrassing if it was a racist element.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Kirby wrote: »
    Its possible to get your point across with the hyperbole. We were the better team against Scotland. We played the better football. Any talk of them "feeling sorry for us" is hilarious. Nearly every win by them in this group has come via a lucky deflection or own goal.

We are no great shakes....they are no better. If they get the third spot they will be hammered in the playoffs.

Scotland were better team over the 2 games and deserved their point on Saturday.

if you think playing hoof ball is playing better then that says a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Scotland were better team over the 2 games and deserved their point on Saturday.

if you think playing hoof ball is playing better then that says a lot.

We didn't play hoof-ball on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

It's gas at people trying to defend O Neill.

A man on 1 million a Year, who will have to wait between 11 months at least for another competitive win.

We have been poor in every single game, no sign of improvement, or any bit of creative thinking.

It's hoof the ball up to Walters and hope it just falls to right person, but even when Walters does win header nobody is there to follow on..

When we got it to the wings nobody was in box to get on end of headers or even outside box waiting for poor clearance.

On Tartan Army's site they are saying we are Stone Age and no game plan, they even feel sorry for us. That's saying a lot.

Losing the run of yourself as usual I see.

Ireland have been disappointing under O'Neill and he really should know his best side by now, but they tried to play football and played fairly well at times in the 1st half. They just seemed to lack belief and the pressure got to them.

The Tartan Army and Scotland's capacity to delude themselves are Ireland's best chance of getting another bite at the cherry to get 3rd place in this Group. If they do get another chance in the Group, they can go for it with the pressure off.

Pro. F wrote: »

We did. I lost count of times Given and full backs hoofed it up to Walters.

around 65 minute mark Walters lost a long ball looked at management and you could tell he even wanted a Plan B.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Martin O' Neill had Hoolahan on the field but we played an awful lot of hoof ball.How many times were 50/50 balls sent forward. 50/50 is probably way too generous for these balls.
    1/2 forwards agains 3/4 defenders is not 50/50

Todays footballers do not play hoof ball at club level.

You can see that our players are not performing doing it.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Losing the run of yourself as usual I see.

Ireland have been disappointing under O'Neill and he really should know his best side by now, but they tried to play football and played fairly well at times in the 1st half. They just seemed to lack belief and the pressure got to them.

The Tartan Army and Scotland's capacity to delude themselves are Ireland's best chance of getting another bite at the cherry to get 3rd place in this Group. If they do get another chance in the Group, they can go for it with the pressure off.

“played fairly well at times“ is putting it as optimistic as it gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

The best bit of football that we played was the bit of play that led to Glenn Whelan having a shot in the first half.

Kept the ball well and made a shooting chance.

“played fairly well at times“ is putting it as optimistic as it gets.

It's actual accurate to say they did play fairly well at times. You're just indulging in negative hyperbole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

In fairness that first half had me in a spin. Pressing Scotland, and plenty of progressive play on the ground. The whole room I was in was immensely positive and felt that something was coming together.

Out the back having a smoke with the boys, there was a horrible sense of optimism growing, that we were going to win, and that we would come out of the tunnel streaming and tear into them. Only one of the lads had the common sense to remind us who we were watching, that Scotland hadn't played, and that Ireland are going to try hold onto the lead an inevitably concede.

We had barely plonked our arses onto the couch and the net was rattling for Scotland. What then proceeded was just a horrendous 45 minutes that showed the first was a total anomoly.

I thought O'Neill was a very poor appointment after Trapatoni, and hearing Dunphy bang on about him on Saturday just goes to show how shrowded the perception of O'Neill is. But it's no use in giving it loads about him, or the squad, or the lack of talent coming through etc.

I lost most interest in Ireland donkeys ago, and seem to just sit though the games now out of some weird "I like football, I need to watch my national team". I had more enjoyment and felt more invested watching other games over the weekend.

From the bottom to the top, LOI, FAI, Grass roots, selections, underage panels, senior team, your name it. I find everything linked to Irish football to be the utmost depressing.

The best bit of football that we played was the bit of play that led to Glenn Whelan having a shot in the first half.

Kept the ball well and made a shooting chance.

I actually firmly believe that even with the current squad, a coach could come in and make the team a pressing team, that can play with good ball retention, and have a better chance of winning games then what has happened the last number of years.

Eventually the FAI will stop hiring pure spoofers who are totally out of touch with the game, and hire people who actually understand how you can extract the best from squads lacking quality.

There is a lot of coaches emerging now in the game across Europe with a number of different styles or tactics, that would be much better suited to us, then the archaic stuff going on the last number of years.

To pay O'Nell circa €1m in wages, and not able to qualify for an expanded tournament is nothing short of laughable, and a massive failure on his part. It should also reflect terribly on the FAI and Delaney, but sure as he said himself the national team is 1% of his responsibilities....

• Advertisement

We need a coach thats believes in something in some way similar to what the players are experiencing week week out.

O'Neill is trying stuff that out players are just not used to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Anyone who was at the match will be dismayed at the lack of plan.
    I don't believe anyone who says we don't have the players.
    If you get a decent plan and mentality together, we have the players to make a good team. (Not a great team Bill... but one that should be doing a lot lot better).
    We didn't utilise the space on the wings and there was hardly any movement and support off the ball. It was dire stuff. I watch better at my local park at the weekend.

Blame has to lie squarely at the management in my opinion.

I think a large proportion of people are slumping all the blame on O'Neill. Surely the players have to take on some responsibility.

During the last 12 months of traps reign most complained about our style of play, O'Neill has to be fair to him tried to implement more of a passing style. Sadly we saw most of that in the first half last week.

How many corners did we have? I lost count but at least double figures. Majority of them we failed to register a clear chance, set pieces too. Dangerous balls in no clean header or attack. A waste. Most teams would punish you for giving them that many set pieces.

It has been disappointing that (realistically) we haven't qualified even when things were made easier for us. I personally would rather see O'Neill stay on but I understand barring a miracle end he will find a lot of people calling for him to leave at the end of the campaign.

I think a big issue we need to sort out also (which I don't see happening soon) is playing friendlies with teams near or above us that we can beat to improve rankings rather than teams that attract crowds but well struggle to beat.

It feels like we're at the exact same point as we were after the thrashing to Germany in the last qualifiers.

We could still qualify, but realistically, we know it's over and now we have to watch this slow death over the next few months.

I would much prefer we used the Summer break to draft someone else in. Let them have a few competitive games with zero expectations. O'Neill's contract is up in few months anyway, so it will hardly break the bank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

The thing is, his whole reign as manager of Ireland has been called virtually to a tee by those who expressed the most concern prior to his appointment 19 months ago. The only people still defending him are the same people who wouldn't listen back in September/October/November 2013. Even those who had experienced him first hand as manager of their clubs and have since accurately predicted what would happen were dismissed out of hand.

This excuse of "we don't have the players" doesn't wash with me. We didn't have the players to lose only 2 competitive games in 4 years for the 2010 World Cup and 2012 European Championships in qualifying groups containing Italy and Russia but we managed it through organisation, application and of course tactical nous from a very good manager.

1 point from 2 competitive games against Scotland sums it all up really. They're a decent side but not the world beaters some appear to think. It's just not good enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

At this stage I think Id welcome McCarthy back. No disrespect to O Neill but the job that needs to be done over the 2 years is something Id trust McCarthy with more.

We need to blood as many younger players as we can and invest in them long term. Even if they aren't of the requisite quality at this stage we need more options plain and simple.

McCarthy did this at the start of his last stint and it paid off. Even without the same talent levels there's still no substitute for experience. The number of caps our fringe players have suffered greatly under Trap due to his usage of friendlies.

We did. I lost count of times Given and full backs hoofed it up to Walters.

We completed 284 passes on Saturday, we strung together decent passing moves that made Scotland drop back regularly and we spent long spells with them penned into their defensive third. These things don't happen if you are playing hoof-ball.

Yes Given went long as well and yes Scotland had some spells where they were in the ascendancy, but these things can happen even when you are not playing hoof-ball.

If you were to say that we played hoof-ball in the game in Glasgow I would agree, but Saturday was a different kettle of fish. We played reasonably well on Saturday with a reasonably positive attutude, except for the last 10 or 20 minutes where the management made a mess of the subs. Using this poorly informed blanket criticism of the play style in every game, even the ones where we play decent stuff, just weakens the argument against the manager.
    around 65 minute mark Walters lost a long ball looked at management and you could tell he even wanted a Plan B.

Making this type of pronouncement of what you think Walters was thinking from that one time you think you saw him looking at the management isn't at all convincing.

Adamocovic wrote: »
    I think a large proportion of people are slumping all the blame on O'Neill. Surely the players have to take on some responsibility.

During the last 12 months of traps reign most complained about our style of play, O'Neill has to be fair to him tried to implement more of a passing style. Sadly we saw most of that in the first half last week.

I don't think it's as evident as a player problem, as a manager problem. And typically the buck stops with the manager. I was an avid defender of David Moyes and felt his players were letting him down massively, but as others pointed out, the manager has to take the blame. Forcing a system or style onto player unsuitable will result in negative effects and a certain "ah whats the point" from players.

What never washes with me is rubbish about "passion, desire, workrate". That is the minimum I would expect from a proffesional footballer, and crediting stuff like that to a manager is total nonsense.

I don't see any drastic improvement in terms of style, and thats massively concerning considering we poison we did play. It's also worth noting that is not some self entitled fan, wanting to see glorious possesion football. There has been a growing trend for years now in domestic leagues across Europe, where those without the means or tools, simply don't resort to tight defensive shapes and hoofing long balls hoping for a 1-0 or draw.

Teams are much better coached and now play ball on the ground, understanding that the more you have the ball, the less likely you are to concede. Teams are also coached in counter attacking, and strong defensive shape and how to transition play quickly.

The EPL will be the most obvious example of this for most, as you can see teams coming up from the last five years arn't hoofball teams or shutting up shop, against say when Stoke and West Brom first came up.

O'Neill appears to be very much deploying the tactics that there prevelant during his time in English football, for teams without the means and tools, but football has moved on drastically from then.
    How many corners did we have? I lost count but at least double figures. Majority of them we failed to register a clear chance, set pieces too. Dangerous balls in no clean header or attack. A waste. Most teams would punish you for giving them that many set pieces.
    While we should be rightly disappointed not capitilising on that amount of set pieces, we shouldn't be reliant on them either. There is enough quality in our wide areas that we should be able to create clear cut chances from open play, at international level.
    It has been disappointing that (realistically) we haven't qualified even when things were made easier for us. I personally would rather see O'Neill stay on but I understand barring a miracle end he will find a lot of people calling for him to leave at the end of the campaign.
    I wouldn't say disappointing, I'd say embarrasing. The FAI pushed hard and were a vocal advocate of expanding the tournament, so they could have a team involved so they could reap the financial rewards. Know with an expanded tournament and failing to qualify, they need to ask some serious internal questions. No plans, no developement, no strategy.

National federation plans take easily 10 years to return fruition, in terms of gathering players coached under new ideas and formulating teams that can compete. We have implemented wishy washy stuff, and as you can see from underage level there is genuinelly nothing coming up the ranks. So the next generation are more then likely a write off (bar some going through rapid developement, and thanks for English clubs coaching) it will be 8 years at a minimum before a crop of players arrive at senior level that will be of use.
    I think a big issue we need to sort out also (which I don't see happening soon) is playing friendlies with teams near or above us that we can beat to improve rankings rather than teams that attract crowds but well struggle to beat.

I don't think rankings are really something to worry about. We are where we are, and rightly deserve to be there. We have literally stank up international football stadiums for years now, culminating in an embarrassment at the Euros.

Debt needs to be serviced so those attractive games will be played, and Delaney has to ensure he lines the right pockets to consolidate his power, so we can expect more high profile friendlies then actual constructive stuff to take place.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭miroslavklose

whiskeyman wrote: »
    We didn't utilise the space on the wings
    We didn't utilise the space on the wings because we weren't playing wingers. There was space on the wings because we weren't playing wingers. We could have been more brave in getting the full backs (particularly) Brady up into that space, but there is a risk involved.

It's actual accurate to say they did play fairly well at times. You're just indulging in negative hyperbole.

All you ever tend to do is come in use words others have used this time its “hyperbole“. You dont even know what it means.

You been living on MON fantasy land that is what it is, a fantasy.

I tend to agree with Pro.F here on this one a little more, but still not entirely.

There was a visible difference in the first half on Saturday. We were pressing Scotland, harrassing them on the ball and there was a number of really nice interchanges along with good ball retention. There was a number of occasions we were recycling the ball outside of Scotlands box which was mindblowing, considering not so long ago it would have been lumped in at first opportunity.

It was what I would expect from a modern team who arn't bereft with quality, but have enough in the squad to compete and win games. Win the ball back quickly, retain possesion, play out wide and put the opposition under pressure.

That we went a goal up, conceded so early, and then somehow proceeded to sit back and start to try soak up pressure, at 1-1, was a team who's confidence went down the toilet. I hate that with teams, and I don't know how managers let the mentality manifest. You've just gone 1-0, and played some of the best football of the last like, 18 months, you take a quick setback, and then proceed to crawl into your shell of old.

Second half it regressed into the hopeful long balls, people not wanting to take the ball, and the team dropping deeper giving Scotland the initiative. Was massively frustrating to watch.

TheDoc wrote: »
    I tend to agree with Pro.F here on this one a little more, but still not entirely.

There was a visible difference in the first half on Saturday. We were pressing Scotland, harrassing them on the ball and there was a number of really nice interchanges along with good ball retention. There was a number of occasions we were recycling the ball outside of Scotlands box which was mindblowing, considering not so long ago it would have been lumped in at first opportunity.

It was what I would expect from a modern team who arn't bereft with quality, but have enough in the squad to compete and win games. Win the ball back quickly, retain possesion, play out wide and put the opposition under pressure.

That we went a goal up, conceded so early, and then somehow proceeded to sit back and start to try soak up pressure, at 1-1, was a team who's confidence went down the toilet. I hate that with teams, and I don't know how managers let the mentality manifest. You've just gone 1-0, and played some of the best football of the last like, 18 months, you take a quick setback, and then proceed to crawl into your shell of old.

Second half it regressed into the hopeful long balls, people not wanting to take the ball, and the team dropping deeper giving Scotland the initiative. Was massively frustrating to watch.

Agreed.

1st half was a vast improvement on previous games under O'Neill. Great pressing, an intensity, positive. Felt like something might be clicking.

The silly early goal quickly resulted in our regression to hoof ball. And things like bringing on Robbie, but withdrawing Wes made no sense at all.

The good and bad of Irish football in 90 minutes.

We could really do with a good left back so that we could use Brady up the Field.

Coleman use of the ball was hopeless !

Our conversion rate (in the tiny sample we saw on Saturday) was actually extremely good.

We had 13 corners link
    We scored one goal from a corner, so a conversion rate of 7.69%
    In the EPL from 2011-2013 the total conversion rate for corners to goals was 2.9% link

All you ever tend to do is come in use words others have used this time its “hyperbole“. You dont even know what it means.

You been living on MON fantasy land that is what it is, a fantasy.

No. I'm being absolutely realistic. I have said it's been largely a disappointment thus far under MON, but you choose to ignore that and claim I'm living in some fantasy land. It's out of our hands right now, but there's a good chance that another opportunity to get 3rd place may arise. Whether we take it or not is the question.

These comments about "hoof ball" from you and others is inaccurate. A certain lack of belief is what's holding Ireland back from getting 3rd place right now.

• Advertisement

Our conversion rate (in the tiny sample we saw on Saturday) was actually extremely good.

We had 13 corners link
    We scored one goal from a corner, so a conversion rate of 7.69%
    In the EPL from 2011-2013 the total conversion rate for corners to goals was 2.9% link

True when you look at conversion rate, we were lucky to even get the goal allowed.

But you have to agree that with 13 corners and a few free kicks that were cross oppurtunities we very rarely had a chance really test Marshall. With the sort of delivery Brady was offering you'd expect someone to get a decent header or flick onto them.

Maybe it is just me but I was very disappointed with how little clear chances were created from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

To be honest if we had so many corners and free kicks with good delivery against another team, we may have gotten more joy.

But Scotland are a traditional British team, their centre backs are tall guys who are used to heading crosses away all match for their clubs.
    Plus Marshall was very comfortable coming for crosses, as you need to be in the EPL.

No. I'm being absolutely realistic. I have said it's been largely a disappointment thus far under MON, but you choose to ignore that and claim I'm living in some fantasy land. It's out of our hands right now, but there's a good chance that another opportunity to get 3rd place may arise. Whether we take it or not is the question.

These comments about "hoof ball" from you and others is inaccurate. A certain lack of belief is what's holding Ireland back from getting 3rd place right now.

Thats a good post, even though I would disagree a little.

The reason we have a lack of belief imo is because the players dont trust the way we play, which is down to the manager.

I be more then delighted for you to come back in the future and laugh at my posts and say how wrong I was, but at this moment we have not improved a cent in the past 2 years.

In ways we have went backwards. Its a tough group, but 1 Point against Scotland is simply not good enough

We completed 284 passes on Saturday, we strung together decent passing moves that made Scotland drop back regularly and we spent long spells with them penned into their defensive third. These things don't happen if you are playing hoof-ball.

Yes Given went long as well and yes Scotland had some spells where they were in the ascendancy, but these things can happen even when you are not playing hoof-ball.

If you were to say that we played hoof-ball in the game in Glasgow I would agree, but Saturday was a different kettle of fish. We played reasonably well on Saturday with a reasonably positive attutude, except for the last 10 or 20 minutes where the management made a mess of the subs. Using this poorly informed blanket criticism of the play style in every game, even the ones where we play decent stuff, just weakens the argument against the manager.

Making this type of pronouncement of what you think Walters was thinking from that one time you think you saw him looking at the management isn't at all convincing.

I dont care if we passed it a 1000 times we still would have created nothing.

The real worry, is that a average Scotland Defense was not tested once in the last 40 minutes.

When we got it out wide for crosses nobody was in the box to get on end of them. If we played it centre it was only cut out and brought back to the Backs or even worse to Given.

Scotland kicked it longg too, but they pressed much better when they did to make sure they won the ball from a header and quash pressure they may have come under.

Tactically Mr Gordon owned O Neill in both games.

Thats a good post, even though I would disagree a little.

The reason we have a lack of belief imo is because the players dont trust the way we play, which is down to the manager.

I be more then delighted for you to come back in the future and laugh at my posts and say how wrong I was, but at this moment we have not improved a cent in the past 2 years.

In ways we have went backwards. Its a tough group, but 1 Point against Scotland is simply not good enough

We played well enough to win. Hoolahan broke through and provided an excellent opportunity for Murphy. Murphy did a good job of work but a better striker would've banged that opportunity past the goalie. There are a number of factors, a severe lack of quality in one or two key areas is one of them.

Scotland btw were really up for getting the better of us. They are bitter about McCarthy and McGeady. I'm hoping they blow it in the run in and we get another opportunity, they have form for that.

We played well enough to win. Hoolahan broke through and provided an excellent opportunity for Murphy. Murphy did a good job of work but a better striker would've banged that opportunity past the goalie. There are a number of factors, a severe lack of quality in one or two key areas is one of them.

Scotland btw were really up for getting the better of us. They are bitter about McCarthy and McGeady. I'm hoping they blow it in the run in and we get another opportunity, they have form for that.

I dont think we did and im basing that more of the last 40 minutes when we should have done better in final third. Its was too route one and that suited the Scots.

I won't stop believing we can qualify, even though I know what is coming. Win next 2 games and never know, but think this Scottish team will get the 3 points in Georgia which will wrap up 3rd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Taking just one point out of six against that Scottish team is just criminal.
    Management should be sacked for that alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

A certain lack of belief is what's holding Ireland back from getting 3rd place right now.

And that lack of belief starts with and is instilled by O'Neill through his selections, tactics and changes.

Jack Grealish is making good use of his time. He didn't want to play for Ireland last Saturday so got steamed in Tenerife instead.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/33136816http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/33136816

His daddy should ground him.

• Advertisement

Paully D wrote: »
    And that lack of belief starts with and is instilled by O'Neill through his selections, tactics and changes.

What I'm disappointed about is it has taken him a long time to figure out what his best team is and stick with it. Looks like he's getting there now, but might be too late and is now relying on other results going our way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Do you think if he picked the current "first team" since the start, we'd be in a better position in the group?

And by extension, now that he's settling on a final squad, do you think the next campaign we'll do better?

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Do you think if he picked the current "first team" since the start, we'd be in a better position in the group?

And by extension, now that he's settling on a final squad, do you think the next campaign we'll do better?

I think McGeady would've started if he was fit, Hendrick may not have played. I don't know why he went with Murphy over Long, but maybe it's much of a muchness.

I think it's more to do with the pressure they put themselves under unnecessarily by being slow out of the blocks earlier in the Group, and the pressure got to them on Saturday.

Yes. If he's there in the next campaign, I think we'll do better, should hit the ground running.

The_B_Man wrote: »

Next campaign (September 2016), realistically we're looking at losing

-- Shay Given (40)
    -- David Forde (36)
    -- John O'Shea (35)
    -- Wes Hoolahan (34)
    -- Robbie Keane (36)
    -- John Walters (33)???
    -- Daryl Murphy (33)???

Glenn Whelan will be 32 going on 33. And anybody 30+ now who's on the fringes you can scratch off too....Doyle, reid, Kelly.

Will be interesting to see the starting eleven 18 months down the road.

Will we be fourth seeds for the next World Cup qualifiers?

Will we be fourth seeds for the next World Cup qualifiers?

Yup, tricky group it will be...the wait for another world cup appearance might be longer than I thought back in 2002

• Advertisement

Yup, tricky group it will be...the wait for another world cup appearance might be longer than I thought back in 2002

Was just checking it out there,came across this,not for the faint hearted

http://www.newstalk.com/Ireland-expected-to-be-fourth-seeds-for-2018-World-Cup-draw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Looks like he's getting there now, but might be too late and is now relying on other results going our way.

Does it ?

I'm not sure it does, his line ups are very varied, also a few shocks in team selection before every game

Was just checking it out there,came across this,not for the faint hearted

http://www.newstalk.com/Ireland-expected-to-be-fourth-seeds-for-2018-World-Cup-draw

Will we get the scots again ;)

Was sulking looking at the table in work and a colleague (French) looked over and said

"Youll probably still qualify, beat gibraltar, georgia, probably Poland and probably lose to Germany but Scotland will lose to both Poland and Germany, then you have playoffs"

I said I couldnt see us beating Poland and he said he could..don't know where he gets that sort of optimism :pac:

He then jokingly added after all that well probably lose in the playoff :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I said I couldnt see us beating Poland and he said he could..don't know where he gets that sort of optimism :pac:

He then jokingly added after all that well probably lose in the playoff :pac:

I've heard some saying that Poland might well be qualified by the time they play us and that will give us a better chance. But the likelihood is that they will still want to finish above Germany even if they have qualified so it's going to be tough either way.

I don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility that Georgia will make life tough for the Scots. They almost held us to a draw of course, and when the Scots faced them at home, it took a Georgia O.G. to beat them. If Georgia were to win the game (long shot but anything can happen in football) then we would be back in the hunt.

It's in Scotland's hands but they haven't made a tournament in a long time. I'm hoping they bottle it and allow us back into things. In the past they've had a knack, like ourselves, for doing things the hard way.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement