Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

assuming we beat Gibraltar and Georgia, 4 points from the last 2 games would give us a chance but that still relies on a) Scotland dropping points and b) us beating a higher-ranked team. It's not impossible, it is improbable. (actually even 3 from the last 2 games might be enough if Scotland blow it but that still leaves us needing to win in Poland or beat the world champions).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Was just checking it out there,came across this,not for the faint hearted

http://www.newstalk.com/Ireland-expected-to-be-fourth-seeds-for-2018-World-Cup-draw

Wales as a top seed ,that's preposterous, 4 years ago they were ranked 117th in the world.

I dont like the way that the draw is so early either ,there is no need for it to be until qualifying for Euro 2014 is over,alot can happen between now and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Jack Grealish is making good use of his time. He didn't want to play for Ireland last Saturday so got steamed in Tenerife instead.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/33136816http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/33136816

His daddy should ground him.

I think he has denied it was him in the photos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    Complete poo.

Check out Iceland's Squad: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iceland_national_football_team

They head up a group containing Turkey, Holland and Czech Rep.

People throwing around this excuse that our players aren't good enough. A scan around the groups shows you what complete w*nk that theory is.

We simply do not have any world class players in any positions. Many of our players are second tier journey men pros and it is not as if this is just a bad spell and we have a great crop of players coming up.

The above is what I said that you highlighted and described as "complete poo". Very persuasive argument by the way.

Now if you disagree with the statement that we do not have any world class players in the current squad I would love to see who you consider world class. The second statement I made was that we have many second tier journey men pros in our squad. Do you disagree with that? The final statement I made was that we do not have a good crop of players coming through. Do you disagree with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

I think he has denied it was him in the photos

He appears to be indecisive about whether he denies it's him or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Anyone thinking we will improve under MON is deluded.
    The man has only one way of playing and that's hoof it up to the front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

A poorer, less successful version of Trap, said it before he got the job and I've not been proven wrong How could we expect to play anything other than we do when we hire managers like Trap & MON.

Anyone thinking we will improve under MON is deluded.
    The man has only one way of playing and that's hoof it up to the front.

They didnt hoof it on Saturday.

Dempsey wrote: »
    A poorer, less successful version of Trap, said it before he got the job and I've not been proven wrong How could we expect to play anything other than we do when we hire managers like Trap & MON.

Theyve improved performance wise a bit on Traps last campaign. Not enough as yet, the progress has been slow. I think they'll get an opportunity to get back in the running for 3rd place. It's not done and dusted yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Wales as a top seed ,that's preposterous, 4 years ago they were ranked 117th in the world.

I dont like the way that the draw is so early either ,there is no need for it to be until qualifying for Euro 2014 is over,alot can happen between now and then.

Damn right, it's crazy how we're top seeds but we'll take it, too many times have we been screwed because we were in Pot 4

• Advertisement

Wales have been playing great recently, but there's something seriously wrong with a system that has a team that hasn't qualified for a major tournament since 1958 as top seeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,104 ✭✭✭mada999

I don't know why he went with Murphy over Long, but maybe it's much of a muchness. .

It's all a bit suspect to see why successive managers have not used Long enough ? Maybe they dont trust him?

I see him as a cocky lad that doesnt track back properly and most of the time his body language is brutal. For a lad that has been frozen out a bit, he should be chomping at the bit.

He really should be starting for us. He's technically a better player than Walters, but what Walters lacks in talent he makes up in work rate and thus gets his game. Long should take a leaf out of Walters' book imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Given kicked every ball except one I think. The backs kicked nearly as much. That's hoofing.

Given kicked every ball except one I think. The backs kicked nearly as much. That's hoofing.

You're wrong. They didn't just hoof it. They played lots of passing movements especially in the 1st half.

Theyve improved performance wise a bit on Traps last campaign. Not enough as yet, the progress has been slow. I think they'll get an opportunity to get back in the running for 3rd place. It's not done and dusted yet.

I wouldnt agree with that at all.

Its hoofball and it has been horrid to watch and watching the Irish team has been painful to watch under Trap and its continued under MON in the same vein.

At least the sideshow that is Roy Keane is always good for a tabloid story everytime they get together.

I wouldnt agree with that at all.

Its hoofball and it has been horrid to watch and watching the Irish team has been painful to watch under Trap and its continued under MON in the same vein.

At least the sideshow that is Roy Keane is always good for a tabloid story everytime they get together.

They didn't play hoofball on Saturday. Did you watch the match?

They didn't play hoofball on Saturday. Did you watch the match?

I watched it, unfortunately!

I'm not going to argue the semantics of what is and isnt hoofball. A traffic cone would have won more balls in the air than Daryl Murphy

I watched it, I'm not going to argue the semantics of what is and isnt hoofball. A traffic cone would have won more balls in the air than Daryl Murphy

Maybe you didn't pay attention to what you were watching.

I watched it, unfortunately!

I'm not going to argue the semantics of what is and isnt hoofball. A traffic cone would have won more balls in the air than Daryl Murphy

• Advertisement

sugarman wrote: »
    What game where you watching???

It was nothing but aimless hoofing.

It wasn't though.

To be fair I thought we wanted to play we just had no real creative quality in the final third and Murphy while he worked hard struggled to have any impact on their backline for most of the game.

Jesus :rolleyes:

Jesus :rolleyes:

Either that or you just don't know what you're talking about.

eire4 wrote: »
    To be fair I thought we wanted to play we just had no real creative quality in the final third and Murphy while he worked hard struggled to have any impact on their backline for most of the game.

That's a fair comment. Dempsey and a few others around here wouldn't be interested in that though.

Either that or you just don't know what you're talking about.

Stop patronizing me with your MON fanboy ****e

• Advertisement

Stop patronizing me with your MON fanboy ****e

I'm a fanboy 'cos I don't trot out lazy, inaccurate "hoofball" comments is it?

I've actually said that it has been disappointing under MON so far, but you just carry on with your glib, boring comments.

You regularly box yourself into arguments with people on here and it ends up sounding like you really just don't know what you're talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

eire4 wrote: »

Down to O Neill not picking and setting us up right, again.

I'm a fanboy 'cos I don't trot out lazy, inaccurate "hoofball" comments is it?

I've actually said that it has been disappointing under MON so far, but you just carry on with your glib, boring comments.

You regularly box yourself into arguments with people on here and it ends up sounding like you really just don't know what you're talking about.

Its not inaccurate at all but you believe whatever you like.

Haha, you have some notions going on in your head.

Its not inaccurate at all but you believe whatever you like.

It is inaccurate. The evidence is there for everyone to see. Watch it again it's on the RTE Player. Try paying more attention this time perhaps.

Haha, you have some notions going on in your head.

:rolleyes: oh dear look who's talking about notions.

I wouldnt watch that match again even if you paid me to

• Advertisement

I wouldnt watch that match again even if you paid me to

Sounds like you didn't really watch it the first time around.

Sounds like you didn't really watch it the first time around.

Glib and boring...

Glib and boring...

You probably missed the half of it 'cos you were on here bitchin about it. :pac:

You probably missed the half of it 'cos you were on here bitchin about it. :pac:

Nope, wasnt online at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I dont care if we passed it a 1000 times we still would have created nothing.

You've just completely changed your argument.
    The real worry, is that a average Scotland Defense was not tested once in the last 40 minutes.

We had 5 shots in the last 40 minutes; we were camped in their final third for good spells, put in a good few passes and crosses into the box and won a few corners as well. All of that definitely counts as testing their defence a few times.

Sure we lacked incisiveness and quality, but you are going completely overboard.
    When we got it out wide for crosses nobody was in the box to get on end of them. If we played it centre it was only cut out and brought back to the Backs or even worse to Given.

Scotland kicked it longg too, but they pressed much better when they did to make sure they won the ball from a header and quash pressure they may have come under.

Tactically Mr Gordon owned O Neill in both games.

You're just making up any old thing at this stage.

Pro. F wrote: »
    You've just completely changed your argument.

We had 5 shots in the last 40 minutes; we were camped in their final third for good spells, put in a good few passes and crosses into the box and won a few corners as well. All of that definitely counts as testing their defence a few times.

Sure we lacked incisiveness and quality, but you are going completely overboard.

You're just making up any old thing at this stage.

We were in our bollocks camped in their final third for good spells. You stop talking crap.

Not once was the Scottish defense in any danger. They were comfortable under the high ball all game.

I wish I was making it up, cause we have won otherwise.

Adamocovic wrote: »
    True when you look at conversion rate, we were lucky to even get the goal allowed.

But you have to agree that with 13 corners and a few free kicks that were cross oppurtunities we very rarely had a chance really test Marshall. With the sort of delivery Brady was offering you'd expect someone to get a decent header or flick onto them.

Maybe it is just me but I was very disappointed with how little clear chances were created from them.

With the way you're moving the goal posts nobody would ever score a corner against you anyway.

You said "Most teams would punish you for giving them that many set pieces." You were wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

Watched the game again this evening, jesus that second half performance was dreadful. No one in midfield to take the game by the scruff of the neck. We all know whelan is ****e but what does McCarthy do that's much better.

I was at the game Saturday and to clarify, yes it was hoofball. It was dreadful how many times the ball was passed back to given for him to lump it up the pitch, how predictable, wouldn't expect any less from MON tho no bit of tactical nous about him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

We were in our bollocks camped in their final third for good spells. You stop talking crap.

Not once was the Scottish defense in any danger. They were comfortable under the high ball all game.

I don't think the Scots looked very comfortable on a lot of crosses to be honest... but I also don't think we were camped in their half!

Trilla wrote: »
    I don't think the Scots looked very comfortable on a lot of crosses to be honest... but I also don't think we were camped in their half!

Was in upper tier behind goal, but never once did anybody anticipate a cross that looked like causing danger or creating goalscoring opportunity.

They did what they had to do when a route one ball came and the slow balls from crosses coming into 1 or 2 players max is every defenders bread and butter.

• Advertisement

Down to O Neill not picking and setting us up right, again.

I was certainly shocked Murphy started although Shane Long the obvious other option while better in my opinion is pretty average at the top level himself and McGeady not being fit really hurt us as well.

if you think playing hoof ball is playing better then that says a lot.

You say that we were playing hoofball on Saturday; that the Scots easily dealt with our long balls and that in the second half we were posing no threat to the Scottish defence. I disagree and imo you've got too much emotional thinking clouding your recollection of this game. But there's a way to resolve this.

Everybody agrees that we were better in the first half than the second. So I went back and watched the second half, the worse half, again. I made notes on every time the Irish team came in contact with the ball and what happened subsequently. I then broke down each bit of Irish play and put them into categories. I've attached the complete set of notes at the bottom of this post.

In total in the second half we played long balls from deep 18 times. 10 of those times we kept possession after the long ball and 8 we lost it.

We played the ball from deep in more useful ways 16 times: we passed the ball forward from deep 9 times; had a player run it forward from deep 3 times; and played more direct, but still not long, 4 times.

So, in the bad half - where we were playing with three centre-forwards and no Hoolahan for 20 minutes - we still played the ball out in a non-hoof-ball manner just under half the times we came into possession deep. And of the times we did hoof it, we lost possession less than half of the time. Imo this cannot sensibly be described as a team playing "hoof-ball" as you put it. Sure, it's not top quality possession football, but it is an even balance between passing football and long ball. I'm no O'Neill fan and I have plenty of time for criticising him, but the performance on Saturday was decent and you've just gone completely overboard in your criticism of it.

Also, regarding:
    When we got it out wide for crosses nobody was in the box to get on end of them.
    They did what they had to do when a route one ball came and the slow balls from crosses coming into 1 or 2 players max is every defenders bread and butter.

As you can see in the notes, in the second half we attempted an open play cross when there were 4 or more Irish players in the box 10 times. Your memory of us only having "1 or 2 players max" in the box for crosses is completely wrong.

The game is still up on the RTE player and probably the other usual sources, so if you think that I'm wrong on what happened in any of the notes I've written go ahead and point out the errors.

Notes on Irish play in second half:
    Key:
    [COLOR="DarkOrange"]Orange text:[/COLOR] Long ball played and possession lost.
    [COLOR="Magenta"]Pink text:[/COLOR] Long ball played and possession retained.
    [COLOR="Gray"]Gray text:[/COLOR] An Irish clearance where you would not normally expect a team to keep possession. Eg: clearance from a cross; shot or a long ball headed away.
    [COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Dark blue text:[/COLOR] Ball passed forward from deep through midfield.
    [COLOR="Green"]Dark green text:[/COLOR] Ball carried out from deep by a player running with it.
    [COLOR="Lime"]Light green text:[/COLOR] More direct play that is not long ball. Eg: 'keeper kicking directly to the chest of an Irish player in space on half-way; direct one-two on counter that runs the length of the field.
    [COLOR="MediumTurquoise"]Turquoise text:[/COLOR] Irish possession in Scottish half that came from an Irish restart or Irish pressing in their half.
    Black text: Irish contact with the ball that doesn't fit any of the above descriptions; can be good or bad.
    WR/L = wide right/left
    ---
    [COLOR="DarkOrange"]KO: Pass back to SC > kicked long & possession lost[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Gray"]45:15 Scot floated pass headed clear by SC
    45:17 Scot long ball headed clear by JOS[/COLOR]
    [B]46:00 Scot goal[/B]
    [COLOR="DarkOrange"]KO: kicked long & possession lost[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Gray"]47:10 Scot long ball headed clear by JOS[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Green"]47:30 Brady picks up ball WL at half-way > Goes on run & beats man > misplaces pass inside to Wes & possession lost[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Gray"]47:48 Scot long ball headed clear by MW[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="RoyalBlue"]48:02 Scot long ball stopped & MW passes to Brady > ball played by Wes through mf > pass for Murphy played in on goal for shot; saved > JW has shot blocked for corner[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="MediumTurquoise"]49:00 Corner > Scots clear 3 times under Irish pressure > Brady picks up WR, takes on man; possession lost[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="RoyalBlue"]50:00 MW wins possession with tackle in our left corner > ball passed into midfield > out for Irish throw in Scottish half[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="MediumTurquoise"]50:30 3 passes WL in Scot final third > out for Irish throw[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="RoyalBlue"]50:45 ball passed back through Irish midfield & worked out WR to SC > runs towards line, takes on & beats man with low & poor cross with 5 Irish in box > possession lost[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="DarkOrange"]52:25 Given picks up ball > kicks long; Murphy & JW win headers > possession lost[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Magenta"]52:55 Given receives Scot long ball (via JOS) on chest under no pressure > kicks long > we keep possession from knock-down > SC exchange with Wes down WR > SC puts in poor low cross/pass with no Irish in box & possession lost[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="RoyalBlue"]53:14 JOS receives Scot long ball > plays it to Whelan > ball knocked around back-line & into midfield > McCarthy misplaces pass from midfield into Wes in final third – possession lost[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="MediumTurquoise"]53:50 Brady picks up possession WL and passes forward > Murphy takes ball into box, passes back out to Wes WL > Ball passed back through midfield and defence & worked from side-line to side-line in Scot final third multiple times[/COLOR]
    54:54 Irish throw WR in Scot final third > JW tackled & possession lost
    [COLOR="Magenta"]57:12 Given gk, kicks long > Irish header on, Murphy gets on the end of it and has a tame shot & possession lost[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Gray"]57:42 Whelan heads clear long ball, falls to Scot in centre circle[/COLOR]
    57:55 MW wins tackle in our left corner, tries to play out > Scot press and win ball back immediately
    [COLOR="Gray"]58:10 JOS heads Scot floated pass clear [/COLOR]
    [COLOR="DarkOrange"]> falls to JW who clears long from our right corner under a little pressure; possession lost[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="DarkOrange"]59:22 Given picks up ball > kicks long; possession lost[/COLOR]
    60:00 Ireland throw in our left corner > ball knocked around defence & deep midfield
    [COLOR="DarkOrange"]> Given kicks long & possession lost[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="RoyalBlue"]60:49 Brady picks up ball WL in our half > passes back to Given who passes out to JOS > ball knocked around goalie, defence & deep midfield while under some pressure > ball worked into midfield > ball worked forward and WR > Hendrick poor cross into box with 2 Irish running in; cut out by Scot & possession lost[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Gray"]62:20 Scot corner headed clear, Scot regain in middle third[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Green"]62:22 ball into Irish box cut out & Wes runs forward with ball into midfied > Wes tackled in centre circle & possession lost[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Magenta"]63:23 SC picks up ball WR just in Scot half > plays back to JOS > ball played into midfield, then played back to JOS then back to Given > Given kicks long > Murphy wins header & ball goes out for Irish throw (r) inside Scot half[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="DarkOrange"]63:55 JOS picks up ball WR just inside Scot half > kicks long to JW, who wins header, but possession lost[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Gray"]64:24 Given makes save from cross/shot, but ball stays alive in Scot possession outside box > Ireland clear for Scot throw[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="RoyalBlue"]64:50 Walters picks up ball in plenty of space central in our half > plays it forward to Wes WR, who is tackled for Irish throw (r) in Irish half[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="MediumTurquoise"]65:17 3 consecutive Irish throws headed out by Scotland, we work up sideline > JW receives in Scottish right corner & losses possession > Ireland press hard & keep ball in Scot half, JOS gets forward & gets on ball in Scottish box > Eventually JW crosses ball with 5 Irish in box, but it goes behind for gk[/COLOR]
    [B]67:00 McClean sub on for Whelan[/B]
    [COLOR="Gray"]67:45 Ireland clear long ball into box from Scot fk
    68:40 Ireland clear long shot[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="RoyalBlue"]68:51 SC intercepts ball in Irish right corner > plays it inside to McCarthy & Wes > accross field to McClean WL just in Irish half > McClean runs & takes on two men; cross blocked for corner[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="MediumTurquoise"]69:05 Ireland corner > Scots clear, McCarthy plays it back in to Wes on right side (narrow) > Ball worked back to the left and crossed by Brady with 4 Irish in box; cross defended for corner
    70:00 Ireland corner > Goalie catches ball; possession lost[/COLOR]
    71:00 JOS heads Scot long ball clear; picked up by Scot again about 40 yards out
    [COLOR="Magenta"]71:16 JOS cuts out low cross > McCarthy receives in Irish left corner under some pressure, plays long > Walters wins header & Murphy retains possession by pressuring Scot defender > Murphy crosses towards Walters; defended by Scot for corner[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="MediumTurquoise"]71:32 Ireland corner > Scot win header, but falls to Wes in box > pass back to McCarthy on the right (narrow) > back-post cross with 5 Irish in area > Ball cleared, but falls to McClean at left of box; first time cross > Murphy header is behind him & he doesn't connect well; out for gk - possession lost[/COLOR]
    [B]72:30 Keane sub on for Wes[/B]
    [COLOR="Lime"]72:58 Hendrick heads Scot long ball clear; Murphy flicks it wide for McClean > McClean picks up ball at half-way and plays it into left corner for Keane, who is tackled & ball goes out for Irish throw[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="MediumTurquoise"]73:10 Irish throw (l) in Scot third > few passes > crossed by McClean with 3 Irish in box and another on edge > Scot head clear & McCarthy picks up 40 yards out > plays diagonal ball to back-post with 5 Irish in box; defended & out for corner
    73:47 Irish corner > fails to beat first man & cleared; Irish retain possession and it's played WL to Hendrick > Hendrick crosses from just inside box (l) with 4 Irish in the box & one on edge; headed clear by Scotland for Irish throw
    74:22 Irish throw (l) in Scot third > Quick cross from Brady (?) with 4 Irish in box and one on edge, but cross is poor & Scot easily clear > Ireland quickly retain possession at centre-circle > Ball passed WR to Keane, who cuts in for shot; straight at 'keeper; possession lost[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Lime"]75:09 McClean wins ball WL just inside our half > one-two with Murphy; Scot tackle & out for Scot throw (l) in their third[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="MediumTurquoise"]75:44 Ball falls to McCarthy centre-left in Scot half after Scottish throw > Works ball WR to SC; McCarthy receives it back narrow right and far out > McCarthy tries reverse pass into box, but it's cut out & possession lost[/COLOR]
    77:12 Irish throw (l) at half-way; possession lost
    [COLOR="Magenta"]77:49 SC recovers ball from Scot attack in Irish right corner > under slight pressure and with few options nearby kicks long > Keane retains possession on right side in Scot half off Scot failed clearance > Tackled out for Irish throw[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Sienna"]78:02 Irish throw (r) just inside Scot third > Ball passed back to midfield, then back to defence[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="RoyalBlue"]> Ball passed out from the back through midfield out WR[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Sienna"]> Ball recycled back centrally to midfield, then back to defence[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="DarkOrange"]> Given receives and kicks long > JW foul; possession lost[/COLOR]
    [B]79:30 Long sub on for Murphy[/B]
    [COLOR="Gray"]80:28 Wilson clears corner long > Long gets on the end of it WL at half-way, but is tackled and concedes throw; possession lost[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Magenta"]81:32 McClean clears along ground from left edge of box > possession retained with Hendrick > plays long diagonal to JW WR who wins free[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="MediumTurquoise"]82:47 Irish fk from WR just outside Scot third > Brady deep cross towards penalty spot; defended out for Irish corner
    83:16 Irish corner > McClean near-post header blocked & out for corner[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Sienna"]83:38 Irish corner > Scots clear & Ireland retain possession with pass back to Given[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Magenta"]> Given kicks long and ball falls to Keane WR off Scottish miscontrol > Keane tries first time flick into box, but 'keeper picks it up; possession lost
    85:02 MW heads down to Brady from Scot long ball > Brady carries the ball forward then plays long ball > Long header on from edge of box > Keane nearly gets on end of it, but Scot clears it to left corner flag > McClean recovers ball & passes back to Brady > first time cross with 4 Irish players in box & 1 on edge > 'keeper catches ball and possession lost[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Gray"]85:48 JOS heads Scot long ball back to Given who picks it up[/COLOR] 
    > Given roles it out to Brady > plays it into McCarthy (?); back to defence; then Given; out to JOS
    [COLOR="DarkOrange"]> back to Given then kicked long & possession lost[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Gray"]87:15 Ireland defending cross & Brady wins back-post header, then recovers ball in corner & gets it to McClean[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Green"]> McClean carries the ball forward WL from deep > Takes on man just inside Scottish half & losses ball; possession lost[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Magenta"]88:17 Wilson intercepts just outside box & it falls to JOS > JOS back to Given who kicks long under pressure [/COLOR]
    > Scots head it back & then JOS heads it back to Given who picks it up > Given throws to Brady > back to Given 
    [COLOR="Lime"]> Given long pass to McClean in space WL at half-way[/COLOR] 
    [COLOR="Sienna"]> ball back to Brady > right for JOS > back to Given[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Lime"]> Given long pass to Hendrick in centre-circle, who wins fk[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="MediumTurquoise"]89:16 Irish fk central, just in Scot half > MW short to Brady who carries forward for deep cross with 4 Irish players in box > Scots clear for throw in left corner
    89:50 Ireland throw (l), Scottish defend it out for another Irish throw
    90:14 Irish throw (l) long(ish) into box with 6 Irish players in box > JW recovers ball inside box on left side; plays it out to Brady WL > cross with 6 Irish in the box & 1 on the edge; overhit cross & out for gk; possession lost[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Gray"]91:46 Ireland clear Scot long ball & it falls awkwardly to JW WR near half-way > JW hooks it on further, but possession is not regained[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Magenta"]91:54 Ball falls to Hendrick just inside Irish half in a bit of space, but he lobs it forward first time > Keane wins ball, keeps possession & plays it out to Brady WL just inside Scottish half > Brady carries it forward then crosses with 3 Irish in box and 2 on edge > JW wins header beyond far post and knocks it back in > ball falls to JW WR, who works it central to McCarthy > McCarthy plays diagonal to left of box; McClean heads it into box, but it falls to Scot who clears > MW clears Scot ball inside Scot half; out for Scot throw (r); possession lost[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Gray"]92:56 MW clears (poorly) to SC[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="RoyalBlue"]> but Scot attack is stopped & Brady carries the ball out from the back; passes to McClean WL in Scot half; Brady & McClean exchange passes & runs until it falls to McClean just inside the Scottish box, but it's behind him and it bounces off his heal out for a gk[/COLOR]
    [B]93:54 FULL TIME[/B]

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Pro. F wrote: »
    With the way you're moving the goal posts nobody would ever score a corner against you anyway.

You said "Most teams would punish you for giving them that many set pieces." You were wrong.

Care to elaborate on the bold part, maybe I am too tired but I don't follow.

And I don't know if you can come out and say I am completely wrong, maybe just my biased opinion of my comment. But when you have height, a great delivery man and around 15-18 set pieces to test the defense, and other than a scrappy goal you don't really test the goal I would call that disappointing and would wager most proffesional football teams would punish you more for giving them that many chances.

EDIT: And by punish I not only mean score but also create good goalscoring chances and causing some panic in the box

Nope, wasnt online at all.

Regardless. You've got it wrong - again.

Regardless. You've got it wrong - again.

Haha, climb back under your rock.

Haha, climb back under your rock.

pacman.gifIt's important for ya to have the last word isn't it even if it's entirely nonsensical.

Yep, you were wrong again.

pacman.gifIt's important for ya to have the last word isn't it even if it's entirely nonsensical.

Yep, you were wrong again.

Im not wrong because you keep repeating it!:rolleyes:

So ya, climb back under your rock considering you had nothing to say for the past 2 days and only sticking up your head because someone has finally posted something that finally agrees with your viewpoint. Desperate stuff

Im not wrong because you keep repeating it!:rolleyes:

So ya, climb back under your rock considering you had nothing to say for the past 2 days and only sticking up your head because someone has finally posted something that finally agrees with your viewpoint. Desperate stuff

You are wrong again, because the facts are there for everyone to see on the RTE Player. But you say you won't even look at it, so you admit that you wont even view the facts that are there for everyone to see.

You just go around in circles, spouting the same old nonsense, based on no evidence, over and over again. You're destined to repeat the same errors over and over again in a boring, pointless fashion. Yawn.

So, until the next time when the campaign resumes, have the last word there Dempsey, it'll be totally pointless as usual, but it's obviously important to ya:pac:.....

You are wrong again, because the facts are there for everyone to see on the RTE Player. But you say you won't even look at it, so you admit that you wont even view the facts that are there for everyone to see.

You just go around in circles, spouting the same old nonsense, based on no evidence, over and over again. You're destined to repeat the same errors over and over again in a boring, pointless fashion. Yawn.

So, until the next time when the campaign resumes, have the last word there Dempsey, it'll be totally pointless as usual, but it's obviously important to ya:pac:.....

I saw the match! I dont need to watch it again. I wasnt online or whatever other notion you have in your head. I was sitting 2 metres away from a 60" screen and I talked to people that were at the game afterwards. Its going round and round because you think I need to watch again? How many times does it need to be explained to you that I dont need to watch the game again? Several people have said what I said but you've exception to what I've said. And then there is todays little stunt. :pac:

It was a performance typical of some of the best junior/league of ireland sides in the country. I saw very little difference how they setup and how Ireland was setup. It was a performance bereft of technical ability with an average deadball specialist shoehorned into leftback to give us a chance. Everything about the setup of the team and execution of the performance was hoofball. Long/Direct ball tactics is hoofball, anyone argues that there is a difference is arguing semantics and I've no interest in dissecting 2 very similar shades of grey.

And the less said about the crossing during play, the better. Dani Alves would have done better crossing even after 6 cans.

• Advertisement

I saw the match! I dont need to watch it again. I wasnt online or whatever other notion you have in your head. I was sitting 2 metres away from a 60" screen and I talked to people that were at the game afterwards. Its going round and round because you think I need to watch again? How many times does it need to be explained to you that I dont need to watch the game again? Several people have said what I said but you've exception to what I've said. And then there is todays little stunt. :pac:

It was a performance typical of some of the best junior/league of ireland sides in the country. I saw very little difference how they setup and how Ireland was setup. It was a performance bereft of technical ability with an average deadball specialist shoehorned into leftback to give us a chance. Everything about the setup of the team and execution of the performance was hoofball. Long/Direct ball tactics is hoofball, anyone argues that there is a difference is arguing semantics and I've no interest in dissecting 2 very similar shades of grey.

And the less said about the crossing during play, the better. Dani Alves would have done better crossing even after 6 cans.

I don't care if you watch it again. I knew you couldn't resist droning on repeating yourself, hoofball, hoofball:pac:.....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement