Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Great move for McClean, hopefully he pushes on and gets some regular PL action.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Hopefully this talk of Brady being linked with Norwich and Villa see him staying in the Permiership. We need players used to playing against top teams and players on big stages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I think we need players playing and used to winning.

I'd rather a player who is a key man at a good Championship club than someone in and out of a Premiership side losing every other week.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I think we need players playing and used to winning.

I'd rather a player who is a key man at a good Championship club than someone in and out of a Premiership side losing every other week.

Well I'd imagine McClean wont be in and out of West Brom, and if Brady was to join Villa or Norwich I image he would be able to stamp himself onto the starting lineup.

Personally I would like the players playing against big teams to prepare themselves, rather than winning in a league that isn't at the same standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭steve_r

This is nuts:
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2015/0624/710381-fai-argentina-lionel-messi-dublin-friendly/

The Football Association of Ireland has rejected claims made in an Argentinean newspaper that Ireland players were paid not to injure Lionel Messi during a 2010 friendly at the Aviva.

Find this very hard to believe. Surely if the insurance couldn't be paid then the friendly wouldn't go ahead in the first place?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

It's bull. Same article claims glamour friendly was arranged to compensate for Henry handball. Arg game was confirmed before that play off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Strong, but wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Dublin Derby Facts ‏@dubderbyfacts 2h2 hours ago
    After failure of previous FAI protests, Irish supporter group YBIG now plan to take out a full-page news report in an Argentinian newspaper.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Godot.

Irish transfer rumours:

Richard Keogh linked with Newcastle, Sunderland and West Brom
    James McCarthy linked with Arsenal and Spurs
    Daryl Murphy rumoured with moves to Stoke and West Brom
    Robbie Brady supposed to be interesting Villa and Norwich

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Godot. wrote: »
    Irish transfer rumours:

That would be an interesting one, to see how he'd fare in the PL

That would be an interesting one, to see how he'd fare in the PL

Yeah, the more Irish players in the PL the better. It's in today's Guardian

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jun/24/richard-keogh-newcastle-derby-steve-mcclaren

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

A lot of rubbish rumours being printed.
    Why would Arsenal or Spurs be interested in James McCarthy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

Spurs like buying average midfielders so maybe they might be in for him.

No word yet on where McShane will end up ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Irish transfer rumours:

No thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭miroslavklose

To play for them in midfield I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

To play for them in midfield I'd imagine.

He's simply not good enough for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭miroslavklose

He's simply not good enough for them.
    Going by his performances for Everton, he's every bit good enough. Unless you're going to argue Arteta and Paulinho are better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Most of the everton fans balked at the signing of McCarthy saying Martinez was just buying players he knew well and that they overpaid. And then they watched him play for Everton for a while. And changed their minds.

THink McCarthy gets unfair criticism. People might not think he performs to his abilities for Ireland but there is no denying he has been very good for Everton.

• Advertisement

I guess McCarthy is still only 24, so with the right coaching he might be able to add a bit of steel to his game.
    Still though, can't really imagine him moving to Spurs or Arsenal at this stage.

I guess McCarthy is still only 24, so with the right coaching he might be able to add a bit of steel to his game.
    Still though, can't really imagine him moving to Spurs or Arsenal at this stage.

Spurs, I can. Arsenal not likely.

Who cares who he plays for in the Prem? So long as a huge disparity exists between his club and country performances he will be a disappointment from my perspective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

McCarthy plays a role in a system and he plays it well. I could see him being solid, unspectacular yet effective for Arsenal.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Who cares who he plays for in the Prem? So long as a huge disparity exists between his club and country performances he will be a disappointment from my perspective.

Have to remember a few things.

1. He's 24, still young
    2. Depends on the players around you too, it is as if most people expect him to single handedly drag us over the finishing line. He's a holding midfielder, and one I feel we criticise too much.
    3. Expectations. It seems everyone expected him to stroll in and be the new Keane. People have put hughe expectations on is performance.

He still has a good 8-10 years of international football left, depending on competition and fitness. I think he gets a lot of blame and criticism and a lot of the time he doesn't do much wrong. yes he isn't creating loads of goalscoring chances and memorable moments but he is doing an alright role to date. Expectations way too high.

In my opinion he's being outperformed in the side by Whelan. And that's fine, Whelan is a starting midfielder for a solid Premiership outfit, but it just makes him another 'guy'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

McCarthy is a good holding midfielder, nothing more.

The problem is as Irish fans we really hoped he was something different, that he had that little bit extra that would carry our midfield and be an inspirational character like a Keane or a Gerrard. It's clear now that he is not at that level or that kind of player and never was.

It's not his fault he got hyped up to be a totally different player than he is. He could possibly be one of the best defensive midfielders in the premier league, but that won't win you games or qualify you for tournaments if you don't have a bit of magic and creativity playing alongside him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Paully D wrote: »
    No thanks.

Like ye have a whole lot better already.:pac:

Ireland squad season 2015/16 - potential changes

Probable new entries
    Other eligibles
    Potential retirements

Hoban
    Arter
    O'Kane
    Judge

Grealish
    Ireland
    Bamford
    Wilson

Given
    O'Shea
    Keane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Ireland squad season 2015/16 - potential changes

Probable new entries
    Other eligibles
    Potential retirements

Hoban
    Arter
    O'Kane
    Judge

Grealish
    Ireland
    Bamford
    Wilson

Given
    O'Shea
    Keane

What ever about getting Jack Grealish, we have no hope of getting Patrick Bamford

• Advertisement

And we still need O'Shea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

World cup draw in few weeks isnt it ?

Screwed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

World cup draw in few weeks isnt it ?

Screwed

Sadly your probably right. But thats out of our own hands now. All we can do is hope its not too bad and we have at least a shot at a playoff spot .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

We are going to be in Pot 4,can get some right ****ty group's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

No word yet on where McShane will end up ?

Rush Athletic of the Leinster Senior League have asked him up to preseason on a trial basis. Doubt they'll ask for his signature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Jack Byrne at Man City is apparently going on loan to Cambuur in the Dutch Eredivisie. If he gets his game for them I wonder will we see him called up ahead of the next qualifying campaign?

Jack Byrne at Man City is apparently going on loan to Cambuur in the Dutch Eredivisie. If he gets his game for them I wonder will we see him called up ahead of the next qualifying campaign?
    A good season with them and I could see him called up to friendlies in 2016.Mid table Eredivisie team ,I wonder would we have anyone from management over to watch him.
    If we don't make Euro 2016 there will no doubt be a good few of them played.

yabadabado wrote: »
    A good season with them and I could see him called up to friendlies in 2016.Mid table Eredivisie team ,I wonder would we have anyone from management over to watch him.
    If we don't make Euro 2016 there will no doubt be a good few of them played.

Don't think the management even watch the Irish league, so can't see them doing too much scouting of the Dutch league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Don't think the management even watch the Irish league, so can't see them doing too much scouting of the Dutch league

O'Neill and Keane were at the Dundalk vs Bohs game only a few weeks ago.

• Advertisement

O'Neill and Keane were at the Dundalk vs Bohs game only a few weeks ago.

Fair enough, stand corrected

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭bohsfan

Stephen Quinn confirmed to Reading link

Major shake-up at Reading this Summer. A lot of the remnants of the Premier League era have been moved on and Steve Clarke has overhauled the whole backroom staff. Struggled this year, so hard to judge what will happen next.

From a football point of view I think this is a decent enough move. Steve Clark will look to establish a 3 man midfield so he will get plenty of game time.

Rumors that Paul McShane looks set to join him at the Royals

Interesting that Quinn signed for a Championship club, as RTE would have us believe that this guy is a world beater.
    (While the rubbish Whelan and McCarthy will continue to be regular starters in the Premier League!)

I do like Quinn as a player though, shows great attitude and decent skill, just probably not quite at the highest level.

McShane, if he does go to Reading, would also be a decent addition for them- he's actually a decent enough player at Championship level

Stephen Quinn is supposed to be getting a great wedge (by Championship standards) by joining Reading. He was an important player to Hull

Rob Kiernan is another that has kind of sold out. He apparently did well at Birmingham in the Championship, yet joined Rangers. I'd say that's grand if they were fighting for the title in the SPL and in Europe, but they are 3-5 years off that. It just seems a waste given their current status.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Lads,

Anyone received word on Gibraltar and Poland away tickets yet?

• Advertisement

Lads,

Anyone received word on Gibraltar and Poland away tickets yet?

No nothing yet.SC's put in their orders weeks ago so independent traveller's will hear whenever suits FAI.
    FAI are still working on Fans Direct :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭RickyOFlaherty

yabadabado wrote: »
    No nothing yet.SC's put in their orders weeks ago so independent traveller's will hear whenever suits FAI.
    FAI are still working on Fans Direct :eek:

nothing on the away portal yet

They "hope" to release details next week.That's from an email I received from McGlue yesterday.

Decent article by RTE, summarizing the Irish transfers and likely transfers over the summer

http://m.rte.ie/sport/news/2015/0701/712008-irish-abroad-summer-transfer-round-up/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Decent article by RTE, summarizing the Irish transfers and likely transfers over the summer

http://m.rte.ie/sport/news/2015/0701/712008-irish-abroad-summer-transfer-round-up/

Very good round-up - didn't know Byrne was getting the No. 10 shirt - very good sign

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement