Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

stephenl15 wrote: »
    Irish football is a farce from top to bottom! Not long before we're perennial 5th seeds! All the youngsters coming through are English born. Whatever we're doing at youth level on this island isn't working.
    They aren't all English born:o
    still some good players from this country but the FAI really have to start investing youth development.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭stephenl15

yabadabado wrote: »
    They aren't all English born:o
    still some good players from this country but the FAI really have to start investing youth development.

Grealish, Grego-Cox, Ronan, that lad who played for west ham the other day :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

I think the only English born player who regularly starts is Walters, or am I forgetting somebody ?

Grealish, Grego-Cox, Ronan, that lad who played for west ham the other day :P
    so thats 4 lads .wow didn't realise that was all the youngsters coming through.

In other news, it seems Shay Given has signed for Stoke City on a 2-year deal

• Advertisement

I think the only English born player who regularly starts is Walters, or am I forgetting somebody ?

I did mean youngsters coming through :P But yeah it's only Walters. Then you've McGeady and McCarthy from Scotland

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

In other news, it seems Shay Given has signed for Stoke City on a 2-year deal....

....to be Jack Butland's deputy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lemmy Scott

O neill has lost his appetite for the game and is extremely negative against rubbish teams I would like to see him gone -we wont qualify for next two tournaments -world cups over before the draw is made due to our seeding and luck with getting ****e draws.

Give keano a go for next few games then if he messes up get macarthy back in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lemmy Scott

Trond wrote: »
    If he does go who do people want as a replacement?

Personally Id like to see Houghton or McCarthy again....

houghton :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Godot.

Paully D wrote: »

Getting rid of O'Neill AND someone paying actual money for him

Who says Christmas isn't in July? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I'm sure if MON leaves there will be plenty here complaining about the FAI allowing him to leave and complaining that they did not negotiate a good enough compensation deal.

As for the new manager its a pity Sean O Driscooll has just got a new job with Liverpool.
    I have always thought he was be worth a try, and at this point in time all we can really do is look a guys who are worth a try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

houghton

I'm assuming he meant Chris Hughton and not Ray Houghton 😛

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

I can't see how losing O Neill at this stage would be a big loss. The team has performed very poorly but with the level of 'talent' he has at his disposal maybe it's as good as it gets. We're not going to qualify for a major tournament for the foreseeable future so why pay such big money to supposedly high profile managers when that money could be put into coaching and development at youth level?

I have kinda felt that things are getting slowly better under O'Neill, and we are only a decent striker away from possibly qualifying

Hope he sees out the campaign, it's only a few months in any case

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I have kinda felt that things are getting slowly better under O'Neill, and we are only a decent striker away from possibly qualifying

Hope he sees out the campaign, it's only a few months in any case

We are not getting better but we played a team that were at around or standard and we just passed it about 5 extra times.

Well Claudio Ranieri is the new manager of Leicester, so after all the talk MO'N stays.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

We are not getting better but we played a team that were at around or standard and we just passed it about 5 extra times.

If you're going to go out of your way to be negative, you'll surely succeed in finding a way. There was improvement in the 1 st half performance v Scotland the last day, if they can continue with that they may still qualify. Cheer up.

We played better cause its not Germany or Poland, but a team we should be beating at home, which we didn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

What annoys me the most is our attitude when we take the lead in matches. It started under Trap and is seems to be continuing under O'Neill. Its slowly killing us points wise....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

We played better cause its not Germany or Poland, but a team we should be beating at home, which we didn't.

We played better than away to Scotland and than in the away win in Georgia. There was some signs of improvement the last day, I'm hoping and think that may continue throughout the rest of the Group.

• Advertisement

Good article by Emmet Malone.FAI really are a disgraceful organisation.

Daniel McDonnell ‏@McDonnellDan 3m3 minutes ago

Noel Kennedy from Sligo/Leitrim League given Life Membership. Speech concludes that John Delaney is ‘best signing the FAI have ever made’:o

yabadabado wrote: »
    Good article by Emmet Malone.FAI really are a disgraceful organisation.

Daniel McDonnell ‏@McDonnellDan 3m3 minutes ago

Noel Kennedy from Sligo/Leitrim League given Life Membership. Speech concludes that John Delaney is ‘best signing the FAI have ever made’:o

Disgrace. Absolutely depressed at the current state and future of Irish football. I've always been a huge fan and international qualifiers took precedence over anything for me, but now I just don't care. Delaney as an absolute joke and we will never move forward with him at the helm

The title laughing stock is used too many times, but not with the FAI..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

Disgrace. Absolutely depressed at the current state and future of Irish football. I've always been a huge fan and international qualifiers took precedence over anything for me, but now I just don't care. Delaney as an absolute joke and we will never move forward with him at the helm

I wish I could disagree with your post but I can't. The state of Irish football is really very depressing. Sure we are a small country so we will go through some spells where our talent pool is not so great. That might be part of the reason the current Irish squad is as weak as it is. But for me the main reason is the almost complete abdication by the FAI in developing our most promising young players something which the FAI has refused to do for decades and now as the game has changed so dramatically across the Irish sea with the deluge of TV money the days when our most promising young players were getting a good football education are fading as our lads get pushed further down the pecking order over there. On top of that at the younger ages within Ireland we still are beholden to the out dated system of development via non professional local clubs. Which hurts us as our young guys struggle technically as they move into their teens.
    I wish I could say there was hope on the horizon but I don't see it and in fact I would expect our footballing fortunes to retun to the levels of the 1960's and 1970's where other then the odd result and player here and there we are a non factor internationally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

WC Draw
    The winners of each group will qualify for Russia 2018, while the eight best group runners-up will take part in a play-off in November 2017.
    Seeding pots for the draw:
    Pot 1: Germany, Belgium, Holland, Portugal, Romania, England, Wales, Spain, Croatia
    Pot 2: Slovakia, Austria, Italy, Switzerland, Czech Republic, France, Iceland, Denmark, Bosnia-Herzegovina
    Pot 3: Ukraine, Scotland, Poland, Hungary, Sweden, Albania, Northern Ireland, Serbia, Greece
    Pot 4: Turkey, Slovenia, Israel, IRELAND, Norway, Bulgaria, Faroe Islands, Montenegro, Estonia
    Pot 5: Cyprus, Latvia, Armenia, Finland, Belarus, Macedonia, Azerbaijan, Lithuania, Moldova
    Pot 6: Kazakhstan, Luxembourg, Liechtenstein, Georgia, Malta, San Marino, Andorra

They will be split into seven groups of six teams and two groups of five. UEFA has asked that England be placed in a group of six. The teams in each group will play each other home and away between September 4, 2016 and October 10, 2017.
    The nine group winners will qualify for the finals, while the eight best group runners-up will contest four play-off ties in November 2017 with the winner of each also going to Russia.
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/here-is-everything-you-need-to-know-ahead-of-tomorrows-world-cup-draw-31401157.html

Nightmare draw scenario:
    Germany
    France
    Ukraine
    Ireland
    Armenia
    Georgia

Ideal Draw:
    Wales
    Austria
    Greece
    Ireland
    Cyprus
    Andorra

Previously I'd always be hoping for the "easiest" draw, so we have the best shot at qualification.

But now I'm only really thinking about what countries might be nice to visit, as I don't think we'll qualify regardless.

Pot 1: Another trip to Germany would be nice, although Spain is good too.
    Pot 2: Wouldn't mind a return to Paris, although Iceland is a country I've never been to and always wanted to visit.
    Pot 3: Sweden might be nice.

Turkey, Cyprus and Malta wouldn't be bad destinations for the last 3 pots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Anyone know why England need to be in a Group of six? Sorry if it is something obvious.

Previously I'd always be hoping for the "easiest" draw, so we have the best shot at qualification.

But now I'm only really thinking about what countries might be nice to visit, as I don't think we'll qualify regardless.

Pot 1: Another trip to Germany would be nice, although Spain is good too.
    Pot 2: Wouldn't mind a return to Paris, although Iceland is a country I've never been to and always wanted to visit.
    Pot 3: Sweden might be nice.

Turkey, Cyprus and Malta wouldn't be bad destinations for the last 3 pots.

Fed up of getting ripped to go on away games. Gave that up as an expensive waste.
    IF we get Wales you got to hope at least. And then i will go to Russia....and get ripped!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Anyone know why England need to be in a Group of six? Sorry if it is something obvious.

England, along with France, Germany, Italy, Spain and Holland, will be in a group of six teams at the request of UEFA in order to maximise television income.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Makes sense, thanks. The post read like it was just England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Is being in one of the two groups of 5 better than in a group of 6 to enhance chances of qualifying?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

FatherTed wrote: »
    Is being in one of the two groups of 5 better than in a group of 6 to enhance chances of qualifying?

No can't see how?

England, along with France, Germany, Italy, Spain and Holland, will be in a group of six teams at the request of UEFA in order to maximise television income.

Somehow seems wrong that decisions are based on this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I hope we get NI. It would be interesting to say the least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Somehow seems wrong that decisions are based on this

Nothing new.

Sure look at the double seedings to try and maximise the "big" teams chances of making it through. You get a top seeding for the group stage. Play sh*te and end up in the playoffs? Random draw? Feck that. Have another top seeding to make sure you get the worst team possible.

It's a farce. :P
    I hope we get NI. It would be interesting to say the least.

I dont. Football matches should be about football.....not all the crap that will come with a game against them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Kirby wrote: »
    I dont. Football matches should be about football.....not all the crap that will come with a game against them.

Maybe I'm being naive but I don't think it would be too bad.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Nope, because when each of the teams who finish second are compared against each other to find the best eight teams, if your in a group of 6, the results against the teams in pot 6 will be ignored.

One could argue that's it's actually better to be in a group of 6 as, if your strikers are having confidence issues, banging in a hattrick against the likes of San Marino or Andorra might help slightly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Wilberto wrote: »
    Nope, because when each of the teams who finish second are compared against each other to find the best eight teams, if your in a group of 6, the results against the teams in pot 6 will be ignored.

I assume it's the results against the team that finishes 6th in the group that will be ignored - that might not necessarily be the 6th seeded team...

loyatemu wrote: »
    I assume it's the results against the team that finishes 6th in the group that will be ignored - that might not necessarily be the 6th seeded team...

Of course. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Spain
    Italy
    Sweden
    Republic Of Ireland
    Finland
    Malta

thats my guess of the draw. Ah sure we have the Rugby and Gaa, who needs a soccer world cup lol

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Ah sure we have the Rugby and Gaa, who needs a soccer world cup lol

And the LoI #greatestleagueintheworld

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Spain
    Italy
    Sweden
    Republic Of Ireland
    Finland
    Malta

thats my guess of the draw. Ah sure we have the Rugby and Gaa, who needs a soccer world cup lol

TBH, given that it certainly looks unlikely that we'll qualify anyway, I'd nearly prefer a group like that so we can fill the stadium for our home games and make more money out of it. That said though, the depressing thing is that Irish soccer wouldn't even see half of the extra revenue generated as it would only just end up in John Delaney's pocket. :(

A group like this would be nice:

Spain - Should be a guaranteed sell out
    France - Should be a guaranteed sell out
    Poland - Guaranteed sellout
    Rep. of Ireland
    Lithuania - Going by the Eurovision results with us giving them quite a lot of points, I'd say this fixture could be almost as popular as the Poland match.

San Marino - I really want to see San Marino play. I was gutted I missed them the last time.

Fed up of getting ripped to go on away games. Gave that up as an expensive waste.
    IF we get Wales you got to hope at least. And then i will go to Russia....and get ripped!

Result. Start counting my Roubles :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Get rid of that clown and we have a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Not a bad group, certainly have a chance if we get our act together

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Started awful with serbia and Georgia but wales and austria gives us a chance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I'd saw we'll finish 4th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Could have been an awful lot worse. No team there you'd really look at and say we've no chance against.
    I predict an awful lot of draws.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

Tough group, was always going to be. Potentially a group of teams that will all take points off each other.
    We've gone from no chance to ...

O8qZc8V.jpg

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement