Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

efb wrote: »
    I'd saw we'll finish 4th

In fairness there is no one nailed on for 1st or 2nd in our group. Each team will take Pts off each other. For example i could just as easily see Wales, Austria or Serbia losing in Moldova, just like us. Ireland are are probably at their weakest since...i dont know the early 80s? But Ireland will still be a hard team to beat at home. This is one of the easiest groups (WC) we have gotten since... '98 when Romania were the top seeds (and we were 2nd seeds!).
    I could see us managing 17 pts in this group. 4 wins at home, 1 away win and 2 draws. That could see us getting into a play-off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

Not a bad group, but we need to get this hoodoo off us first before we can believe that we can get through. We still haven't beaten a side in qualifiers that are ranked higher than us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Its like its a group of teams who should all be 2nd seeds ...I think Austria will win the group though , and Wales and Serbia its depends which ones show up, I do think we have a chance though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

After the "shoe in" for qualifying that was the Euros, this is somewhat of a 2nd chance.

Come November, we'll either be miracle workers who will be fully confident in that World Cup group, or we'll be a team awaiting a new manager to lead us into the unknown.

A group full of average and above average (on their day) teams. On paper, we have every chance of getting into the top 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

I predict this.

1; Serbia
    2; Austria
    3; Ireland
    4; Wales
    5; Georgia
    6; Moldova

Another tournament goes by.........I hate being negative but its how i think it will pan out. I still believe we have a chance of making the coming Euros but the WC campaign doesnt fill me with hope.

obezyana wrote: »
    I predict this.

1; Serbia
    2; Austria
    3; Ireland
    4; Wales
    5; Georgia
    6; Moldova

Another tournament goes by.........I hate being negative but its how i think it will pan out. I still believe we have a chance of making the coming Euros but the WC campaign doesnt fill me with hope.

If we qualify for Euros, then how could we not be filled with hope? If we don't qualify for Euros, O'Neill will be gone....how could we not be filled with hope?

Win-Win in my eyes.

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    If we qualify for Euros, then how could we not be filled with hope? If we don't qualify for Euros, O'Neill will be gone....how could we not be filled with hope?

Win-Win in my eyes.

If we qualify it will be false hope for the next campaign as the underage scene aint exactly bringing on players worth talking about. The manager is the least of our problems.

obezyana wrote: »
    If we qualify it will be false hope for the next campaign as the underage scene aint exactly bringing on players worth talking about. The manager is the least of our problems.

Given our approach to games, and style of play, I'd say O'Neill is a major factor in our poor performance in this Euros.

Also, given the very average teams that currently top some of the groups around Europe, can we put the whole "we don't have the players" thing to bed. It's nonsense excuse and lazy argument for our poor form.

The current Scottish team would be languishing in our position if Craig Levein was still in charge.

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    Given our approach to games, and style of play, I'd say O'Neill is a major factor in our poor performance in this Euros.

Also, given the very average teams that currently top some of the groups around Europe, can we put the whole "we don't have the players" thing to bed. It's nonsense excuse and lazy argument for our poor form.

The current Scottish team would be languishing in our position if Craig Levein was still in charge.

The biggest mistake O Neill made imo was in bringing back in Given. We are never going to attract a top manager and to be fair if O Neill was more progressive and we still were in the position we are now people would still want his head.

Regarding the players. I agree that the arguement about not having the players to compete is void but thats now, its the future team that will be worse and that cannot be blamed on the manager.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Was just saying to some friends earlier, fairly decent draw but the reality is we just won't have the players to qualify. Or at least, we'll have the players to be competitive and grind out a good draw here and there but not enough to get us over the line.
    5 or so years ago and we'd be in with a serious shout but not being able to beat the likes of Austria, Serbia and Wales will come back to haunt us again! Serbia will be even stronger by then aswell after winning the U20 WC recently. Compared with our underage teams we don't seem to have much coming through.

I'll go with Serbia and Austria topping the group with us 3rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Surprised many are discounting Wales so easily - they aren't top of their group for no reason. I genuinely think we would struggle to finish second in their current Euro 2016 group never mind top it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭stephenl15

Cake Man wrote: »
    Was just saying to some friends earlier, fairly decent draw but the reality is we just won't have the players to qualify. Or at least, we'll have the players to be competitive and grind out a good draw here and there but not enough to get us over the line.
    5 or so years ago and we'd be in with a serious shout but not being able to beat the likes of Austria, Serbia and Wales will come back to haunt us again! Serbia will be even stronger by then aswell after winning the U20 WC recently. Compared with our underage teams we don't seem to have much coming through.

You're having a laugh right? Wales man for man and upcoming youth are better than us even without including their two genuinely world class players

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Surprised many are discounting Wales so easily - they aren't top of their group for no reason. I genuinely think we would struggle to finish second in their current Euro 2016 group never mind top it.

Wales are no doubt a good team, but considering the other options that were available to us I'd be fairly happy with getting them. Generally I rather a team that just recently got into the top10 rather than a team that has cemented a spot there or are normally in and out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

We were lucky with everyone seeded above us and probably got the worst teams to pick out below us. Just looked at the fixtures today and we are playing a lot of away games early. If we are in with a shout in the second half of the group we will make it but I see this one being over early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

With the talent they already have no matter who if any of their very good U20 team come into the picture Serbia could be a real nightmare for everyone in the group. They are seriously underperforming right now no doubt about it so hopefully we can sneak something from them early on over there because if they actually get their act together they have an excellent team. Based on our current squad we are on the outside looking in for me even though the draw could have been much worse considering we were in pot 4.
    I would go Serbia to win it. Austria and Wales to battle for second place with Ireland in fourth. In fact the results against us for the other 3 top teams may be what decides how they do in the group. Wish I could be more optimistic but other then at least feeling this draw was nowhere near as bad as it could have been I can't be very optimistic based on what our current squad looks like.

• Advertisement

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Wales are no doubt a good team, but considering the other options that were available to us I'd be fairly happy with getting them. Generally I rather a team that just recently got into the top10 rather than a team that has cemented a spot there or are normally in and out of it.

I agree that we got the best 1st seed possible - I just don't agree with the idea that they will finish fourth and that ourselves and the other two would see them as no threat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

I agree that we got the best 1st seed possible - I just don't agree with the idea that they will finish fourth and that ourselves and the other two would see them as no threat.

I am in agreement with you there it is the best country we could have got from pot 1. This is a very good Wales side though. They do lack depth so if they get some injuries and some of their better guys have history with being injured a lot they may struggle then. But if their best players are fit they easily have the talent to challenge strongly for the top 2 spots in the group.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Hopefully MONg & Angryboy roll on and allow someone who can inspire mediocrity to succeed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Problem is we can't beat the teams we need to beat in these groups.

If O'Neill and Keane are still around I'd say we will finish 4th.

my friend wrote: »
    Hopefully MONg & Angryboy roll on and allow someone who can inspire mediocrity to succeed

Think it is a big thing. Also think the managerial staff has always gotten more blame than they deserve (not just for MON but previous years too)

We desperately need a goal scorer. We've relied on him heavily and he has been brilliant for us but he's older now and we need someone to step up.

Old overused saying but goals win games, and at the moment we lack a player like Keane in his prime that we could rely on nearly every game to get us over the line or out of a pickle. For years when we played poor or average he'd give us a life line with his goals, I'm hoping somebody manages to step up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I do think we over expect, I include myself, although I do also realise you can't just **** players etc and I don't expect much more then to be competitive in groups and hope we get bit of luck.

In saying that though when you see a team like Faroe Islands beating Greece both home and away you just get frustrated at not being able to least least 1 big team in 14 years. Holland 2001 was last time we beat team seeded higher then us. 1 point against a average Scotland. Is it asking too much to expect a little better? I don't think it is.

Between Wales, Norn Ireland and Scotland they have beaten a host of Top Quality teams, many we have played in around same period.

Take 2007 as a example. We drew 2-2 away to Slovakia conceding late goal which killed our hopes of qualifying. 4 days later Wales beat that same Slovakia side 5-2, away, and that Wales team was pish.

I'm going on a bit of a ramble, I know, but my point is that while at times Irish fans can want but too much, me included, to ask to beat at least few decent teams over past 14 years seems to come with this "we aint got the players" is a fooking ridiculous statement too when plenty of worse teams have faired much better then us.

In fairness there is no one nailed on for 1st or 2nd in our group. Each team will take Pts off each other. For example i could just as easily see Wales, Austria or Serbia losing in Moldova, just like us. Ireland are are probably at their weakest since...i dont know the early 80s? But Ireland will still be a hard team to beat at home. This is one of the easiest groups (WC) we have gotten since... '98 when Romania were the top seeds (and we were 2nd seeds!).
    I could see us managing 17 pts in this group. 4 wins at home, 1 away win and 2 draws. That could see us getting into a play-off.

My initial pts tally of 17 was slightly ambitious having looked at the fixtures.
    Monday September 5: Serbia away: Draw 1 pt
    Thursday October 6: Georgia home: Win 4 pt
    Sunday October 9: Moldova away: Win 7 pt
    Saturday November 12: Austria away: L

Friday March 24: Wales home: Draw 8 pt
    Sunday June 11: Austria home: Draw 9 pt
    Saturday September 2: Georgia away: Win 12 pt
    Tuesday September 5: Serbia home Draw 13 pt
    Friday October 6: Moldova home: Win 16 pt
    Monday October 9: Wales away: L

Judging from the recent qualifiers 16pts will not be enough to get a play off spot. If we mange 17 points in this group i reckon that might be enough for a play off. Then we need another Estonia!
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_(UEFA)#First_round
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_(UEFA)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

My initial pts tally of 17 was slightly ambitious having looked at the fixtures.
    Monday September 5: Serbia away: Draw 1 pt
    Thursday October 6: Georgia home: Win 4 pt
    Sunday October 9: Moldova away: Win 7 pt
    Saturday November 12: Austria away: L

Friday March 24: Wales home: Draw 8 pt
    Sunday June 11: Austria home: Draw 9 pt
    Saturday September 2: Georgia away: Win 12 pt
    Tuesday September 5: Serbia home Draw 13 pt
    Friday October 6: Moldova home: Win 16 pt
    Monday October 9: Wales away: L

Judging from the recent qualifiers 16pts will not be enough to get a play off spot. If we mange 17 points in this group i reckon that might be enough for a play off. Then we need another Estonia!
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_(UEFA)#First_round
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_(UEFA)

We will be doing very well to get a draw in first game. Serbia was a disaster for us to draw them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Serbia was a disaster for us to draw them.

Meh.

Fri 07/10/11 ECQ Serbia 1 - 1 Italy
    Tue 11/10/11 ECQ Slovenia 1 - 0 Serbia
    Sat 11/10/14 ECQ Armenia 1 - 1 Serbia
    Tue 14/10/14 ECQ Serbia 0 - 3 Albania
    Fri 14/11/14 ECQ Serbia 1 - 3 Denmark
    Sun 29/03/15 ECQ Portugal 2 - 1 Serbia
    Sat 13/06/15 ECQ Denmark 2 - 0 Serbia

http://ie.soccerway.com/teams/serbia/serbia/6816/

We will be doing very well to get a draw in first game. Serbia was a disaster for us to draw them.

We will be doing very well to get any pts from Serbia, Wales or Austria. But we can get them. I'm hoping the 1st game against Serbia will work in our favour considering they will prob be giving a few from their u20's more game time (Milinković-Savić and Zivkovic already have been capped). Whereas we have no alternatives and hopefully that bit more "nous" to nick a 1v1.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭RickyOFlaherty

Is there anyone coming through that can give us any hope? Maybe we can get Grealish, and jack Byrne makes a breakthrough at City, Crowley decides to declare for us instead of England, Hoban has a break out season for Watford, Josh Cullen at West Ham and Daniel Cleary at Liverpool.

Straws being grasped at here wildly

Is there anyone coming through that can give us any hope? Maybe we can get Grealish, and jack Byrne makes a breakthrough at City, Crowley decides to declare for us instead of England, Hoban has a break out season for Watford, Josh Cullen at West Ham and Daniel Cleary at Liverpool.

Hoping Arter and Kane both have good years with Bournemouth, of course when the world cup does cup around they will be 28/29 but hopefully they can have a good time in premiership and push into the national side.

Cyrus Christie is another - although Coleman has right back nailed down it would be interesting to see if he could be used in a different role

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Mezcita wrote: »
    Tue 14/10/14 ECQ Serbia 0 - 3 Albania

Not that I'm disagreeing with your original point, but this match was actually awarded to Albania after a game of "kick-s**t" broke out on the field with the score at 0-0.

Also Gary Boylan at Sligo Rovers is supposed to be the next big Irish youngster to try his luck over yonder - trials with Hull and Celtic apparently

• Advertisement

Wilberto wrote: »
    Not that I'm disagreeing with your original point, but this match was actually awarded to Albania after a game of "kick-s**t" broke out on the field with the score at 0-0.

I remember that, it was originally awarded to Serbia because Albania refused to return to the pitch - people coming down from the crowd and battering them with chairs and everything - the ref had to stop and then abandon the game - under the technical rules, they were in the wrong - fortunately common sense prevailed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Serbia are the U20 world champs. They have a excellent underage structure. We could be meeting them at a bad time.

It's not as easy a group as some say it could be, but of course could have been tougher.

Playoff is the best I can see us getting, but my hunch is 3rd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

to nick a 1v1.

That's what we do

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Depressingly, as kind as the draw was to us, I still can't see us finishing any higher than fourth. That said though, that could just be the pessimism arising as a result of the last few years. We struggle to score and when you're having that problem then "You're gonna have a bad time!".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

I remember that, it was originally awarded to Serbia because Albania refused to return to the pitch - people coming down from the crowd and battering them with chairs and everything - the ref had to stop and then abandon the game - under the technical rules, they were in the wrong - fortunately common sense prevailed.

Ha was that the game with the infamous remote control drone with the flag the Albanian fans flew onto the pitch!? Shower of mad bástards the lot of 'em.

With a bit of luck the Serbs track record of implosion coupled with crowd trouble/bans/points deductions continues.

Ha was that the game with the infamous remote control drone with the flag the Albanian fans flew onto the pitch!? Shower of mad bástards the lot of 'em.

With a bit of luck the Serbs track record of implosion coupled with crowd trouble/bans/points deductions continues.

Twas indeed - a Kosovo flag on a drone and the place erupted.

So if we all turn up to the away game with pro-Kosovan, pro-Albanian banners we can get an easy three points - some players and fans will have to take a few slaps but it's a small price to pay for a precious victory!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

I know a few Albianian phrases I could teach our "irish ultras" no problem

Was just thinking how different the squad will look at the time of the World Cup, I imagine some players might call it an end before the qualifying for the World Cup starts as they will be too old at the time.

Looking at the players who played against Scotland, when the World Cup starts their ages will be

Shay Given: 42
    Seamus Coleman:29
    John O’Shea: 37
    Marc Wilson: 30
    Robbie Brady: 26
    Jonathan Walters: 34
    Jeff Hendrick: 26
    Glenn Whelan: 34
    James McClean:29
    James McCarthy: 27
    Wes Hoolahan: 36
    Robbie Keane: 37
    Daryl Murphy: 35
    Shane Long: 31

7 players all 34+ (not saying all wouldn't be able to play but just that it would be no surprise to seem them not in contention at that age)

It will be very interesting to see which younger players can come up and make their way into the team. To be honest I would hope for us to be fielding some young players in the qualifying, I know a lot highlighted will be still playing as qualifiers only start next year but I would much rather younger players come up and gain experience in the qualifying.

Jesus! Wes will be 36 then!! Hard to Believe. He should have 70+ caps at this stage.
    Gift. Horse. Mouth. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Hoping Arter and Kane both have good years with Bournemouth, of course when the world cup does cup around they will be 28/29 but hopefully they can have a good time in premiership and push into the national side.

I have high hopes for Arter but I cant see Kane doing anything this season, he struggled to get his game last season and cant see that improving this season.

We need a few lads to have good seasons this year and make the breakthrough into the senior team.

Brady is apparently confirmed for Norwich - not a bad move, at least he will get regular EPL action - but I can't see them staying up, was hoping he would go to Villa who he was also linked with

Brady is apparently confirmed for Norwich - not a bad move, at least he will get regular EPL action - but I can't see them staying up, was hoping he would go to Villa who he was also linked with

He's (in my eyes) our most promising talent at the moment. Good for him to get PL football.

Hopefully Norwich pull off a surprise like Leicester did last season.

Bit bored and decided to do a list of Irish players in the Premier League first team squads, be cool to update it and see at the end of the year how many caps each managed to get. We need players playing in the top leagues so hopefully some go on to do well. Also interestingly the average age is 28 years old. Will update it for new transfers etc, just let me know if I am missing someone or someone moves.

Club Name Age Position
    Aston Villa Ciaran Clark 25 DEF
    Jack Grealish 19 MID
    Bournemouth Harry Arter 25 MID
    Eunan O'Kane 25 MID
    Crystal Palace Paddy McCarthy 32 DEF
    Damien Delaney 34 DEF
    Everton Darron Gibson 27 MID
    Aiden McGeady 29 MID
    Seamus Coleman 26 DEF
    James McCarthy 24 MID
    Newcastle Rob Elliot 29 GK
    Norwich Wes Hoolahan 33 MID
    Robbie Brady 23 DEF/MID
    Southampton Shane Long 28 FW
    Stoke Glen Whelan 31 MID
    Stephen Ireland 28 MID
    Marc Wilson 27 DEF
    Shay Given 39 GK
    Jonathan Walters 31 AM/FW
    Sunderland John O'Shea 34 DEF
    Watford Connor Smith 22 MID
    Rene Gilmartin 28 GK
    Tommie Hoban 21 DEF
    Sean Murray 21 MID
    West Brom James McClean 26 MID
    West Ham Darren Randolph 28 GK
    Joey O'Brien 29 DEF

Green indicates players who have moved to the club during the window. (Also total number is 27)
    EDIT: will try update as window goes on and final squads announced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭TheRedDevil10

Sean Murray - Watford

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Bit bored and decided to do a list of Irish players in the Premier League first team squads, be cool to update it and see at the end of the year how many caps each managed to get. We need players playing in the top leagues so hopefully some go on to do well. Also interestingly the average age is 28 years old. Will update it for new transfers etc, just let me know if I am missing someone or someone moves.

Club Name Age Position
    Aston Villa Ciaran Clark 25 DEF
    Jack Grealish 19 MID
    Bournemouth Harry Arter 25 MID
    Eunan O'Kane 25 MID
    Crystal Palace Paddy McCarthy 32 DEF
    Damien Delaney 34 DEF
    Everton Darron Gibson 27 MID
    Aiden McGeady 29 MID
    Seamus Coleman 26 DEF
    James McCarthy 24 MID
    Newcastle Rob Elliot 29 GK
    Norwich Wes Hoolahan 33 MID
    Robbie Brady 23 DEF/MID
    Southampton Shane Long 28 FW
    Stoke Glen Whelan 31 MID
    Stephen Ireland 28 MID
    Marc Wilson 27 DEF
    Shay Given 31 GK
    Jonathan Walters 39 AM/FW
    Sunderland John O'Shea 34 DEF
    Watford Connor Smith 22 MID
    Rene Gilmartin 28 GK
    Tommie Hoban 21 DEF
    West Brom James McClean 26 MID
    West Ham Darren Randolph 28 GK
    Joey O'Brien 29 DEF

Green indicates players who have moved to the club during the window. (Also total number is 26)
    EDIT: will try update as window goes on and final squads announced.

Bit harsh on poor Jon Walters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Sean Murray not at Watford anymore?

Easy Rod wrote: »
    Bit harsh on poor Jon Walters.

hahah only noticed now! I'll change it

Sean Murray - Watford
    TaosHum wrote: »
    Sean Murray not at Watford anymore?

Sorry forgot about him! Edited it now. No doubt there are others out there too so just let me know and I'll add them.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭bren2001

hahah only noticed now! I'll change it

Good to know we can rely on given for the next 8/9 years! Looking old for his age tho :P

bren2001 wrote: »
    Good to know we can rely on given for the next 8/9 years! Looking old for his age tho :P

Feels like hes been around for a lot longer ;) don't know how I ended up switching Walters and Givens ages :pac: sneakily updating in work, if there is anything else messed up or missing let us know!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement