Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

team is now confirmed.
    Forde, Coleman, Kelly, McShane, Wilson, Meyler, McCarthy, Brady, Doyle, Long, Keogh.

really excited about it apart from Mcshane and Keogh, them two lads shouldnt be near the b team, yet alone starting for the first team.

the rest of the team is exciting especially Coleman and wilson at full backs (and boy do we need them) and then

i assume its kelly at CB?

Brady, Meyler and Mccarthy is really exciting though in midfield,shame he ruined it by putting keogh in with them, mcclean in there would have been tasty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    Team confirmed by FAI as:

Forde, Coleman, Kelly, McShane, Wilson, Meyler, McCarthy, Brady, Doyle, Long, Keogh

McShane and Keogh are mind boggling at this stage.....happy enough with the rest of the team though ...still feel McClean should have started tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 97 ✭✭toc2012

McShane has alot to prove as I'v said before he finished last season well on loan at Palace, (We would have signed him on a permanent deal but his wage demands were outside our wage structure) I reckon he could suprise alot of you guys and have a great game,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Strawberry Fields

Is this match on the box anywhere, I can't find it listed. Just found it on setanta ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

godeas16 wrote: »
    Is this match on the box anywhere, I can't find it listed. Just found it on setanta ireland.

Setanta Ireland. There you go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

under 21's are 4-1 up away in Italy with 15 mins left! Incredible goal by Conor Henderson the highlight so far.

I know they can't qualify but it's still a great preformance/scoreline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Stevecw wrote: »
    under 21's are 4-1 up away in Italy with 15 mins left! Incredible goal by Conor Henderson the highlight so far.

I know they can't qualify but it's still a great preformance/scoreline.

All the more impressive considering Ireland were down to 10 men at 1-1.

kitakyushu wrote: »
    All the more impressive considering Ireland were down to 10 men at 1-1.

Down to 9 men now! Stupid tackle by Forde a couple of mins after getting booked. Had to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Jigga

Conor Henderson's goal was excellent!

• Advertisement

Floodlights gone again for 2nd time in the game!

4-2 win in the end, some result!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,286 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

At this stage I think I'd prefer Don Givens to be in charge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

toc2012 wrote: »
    McShane has alot to prove as I'v said before he finished last season well on loan at Palace, (We would have signed him on a permanent deal but his wage demands were outside our wage structure) I reckon he could suprise alot of you guys and have a great game,

He will in his hoop. He's an out and out donkey. Trappatoni better not put him anywhere near a starting line up in a competitive game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭devotional1993

Aidric wrote: »
    He will in his hoop. He's an out and out donkey. Trappatoni better not put him anywhere near a starting line up in a competitive game.

Now lad-don't sit on the fence -what do you really think of him as a player?

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Thatsfootball

Seeing as Sterling was called up to the English squad, do you feel it's a bad move on their part?
    I know it's OT a bit, but reminds me of Terry Dixon many years ago being called in at a very young age.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

toc2012 wrote: »

No he doesn't. He's proven himself to be sh*t. Why doesn't he play Ciaran Clark with Kelly? He should be in there for the experience and Alex Pearce should be given a run out also. James McClean should be walking into that team instead of Keogh. Still it's better than seeing Paul Green's name there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,565 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Happy enough with the team named but Clark and Cox should be playing/called up instead of McShane and Keogh.Great to see Coleman and Wilson getting starts ,both full back positions are up for graps imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Roger Sterling

Interesting line up alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

Am I the only one that thinks Coleman isn't actually that good? He burst on the scene but struggled with injuries and form since. He's too vulnerable defensively to play right back imo. Right wing he deserves a chance.

I'd like to see Kelly-O'Shea-Dunne-Wilson tried as a back 4. Even though St Ledger has never let us down, O'Shea and Dunne should be very solid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Joekers

The Star and daily fail are reporting that we will play England in May as part of the FAs 150th celebrations, in return we get a home game the following year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Joekers wrote: »
    The Star and daily fail are reporting that we will play England in May as part of the FAs 150th celebrations, in return we get a home game the following year

I thought FAS had been scrapped....

....coat !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Tbf, McShane is probably just as good as O'Shea at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

26548628.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Renn wrote: »
    No...........just no

Mocha Joe wrote: »
    Am I the only one that thinks Coleman isn't actually that good? He burst on the scene but struggled with injuries and form since. He's too vulnerable defensively to play right back imo. Right wing he deserves a chance.

I'd like to see Kelly-O'Shea-Dunne-Wilson tried as a back 4. Even though St Ledger has never let us down, O'Shea and Dunne should be very solid.
    I would agree with you about Coleman he probably isn't ready yet to play RB but I reckon that will be his position eventually,he is still worth trying in a friendly as we dont have many other options there.
    Renn wrote: »
    Are you serious?O'Shea is no longer a full back but he has been solid for Sunderland playing in the centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

Mocha Joe wrote: »

Watched Coleman play recently for Everton and he had to take over from Neville in the right back role. He actually had a good game, the first
    I've seen him have in a while. I think tonight will be a good chance for him to prove himself one way or the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,869 ✭✭✭statto25

I heard word today that there is another Ireland kit coming out at the end of the month. How long has the current home one been in existence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭clubberlang12

Coleman will make a better full-back than winger. I would hazard a guess that the reason he has been deployed on the right wing for Everton has been a combination of lack of wingers there, enough cover at full-back and the fact when he does play on the wing he offers added protection for his full-back behind him. He has the qualities to make a very good modern day full-back that likes to advance up the wing and add an extra offensive option. Although this is not the type of full-back Trap likes in his system. I'd like to see him get a run of games there as i don't think an of our other full backs offer as much as he possibly does at the minute.

statto25 wrote: »
    I heard word today that there is another Ireland kit coming out at the end of the month. How long has the current home one been in existence?

There is supposed to be a new one launced on the 5th October.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

• Advertisement

Paully D wrote: »
    He should close the account and leave it closed this time .Complete idiot what he did the other night and is lucky that he wasnt sent packing.Speak to the manager in private if he has a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,313 ✭✭✭✭briany

yabadabado wrote: »
    He should close the account and leave it closed this time .Complete idiot what he did the other night and is lucky that he wasnt sent packing.Speak to the manager in private if he has a problem.

He must have had a word with at least some backroom staff at this point and has felt that he wasn't being heard. However, Twitter is certainly not the forum to vent frustration either. There is no public outlet for that kind of thing and by voicing discontent, he may have forfeited a place on the starting XI for as long as Trap's in charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

markie29 wrote: »
    McShane and Keogh are mind boggling at this stage.....happy enough with the rest of the team though ...still feel McClean should have started tomorrow.

In fairness, Keogh is banging them in for Millwall in the Championship. 12 in 22 games according to Wiki!

On the McClean issue... I'm gonna give Trap the benefit of the doubt. He's a good player but he seems like a bit of a clown. Literally days after the twitter incident he goes and makes a fool of himself again on facebook. http://www.balls.ie/2012/09/12/is-this-the-real-james-mcclean-in-the-middle-of-another-social-media-mess
    At the end of the day he's only had 7 months Premier League experience. He's not the superstar he thinks he is yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

blue-army wrote: »
    Literally days after the twitter incident he goes and makes a fool of himself again on facebook. http://www.balls.ie/2012/09/12/is-this-the-real-james-mcclean-in-the-middle-of-another-social-media-mess

haha I couldn't believe it was James himself until it was verified! This just confirms he hasn't a brain cell at all in his head!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

blue-army wrote: »
    He's not the superstar he thinks he is yet!

Can you blame him though? To the media, commentators and people at home he's the Messi(ah) of Irish football.
    Just listening to commentary in the match vs Oman, McClean puts another bad ball into the box, "Oh thats not up to the standard he's usually at".
    Feck off, he's not world class and actually gives away the ball as much as McGeady.

Yes he acted like a tool and was made apologise, rightly so. I'm pretty sure it cost him a starting place vs Oman.

Ireland to face Greece and Poland in friendly matches. Are the FAI actively trying not to fill Aviva?

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/international/2012/0914/337626-ireland-to-play-friendlies-with-greece-and-poland/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    Ireland to face Greece and Poland in friendly matches. Are the FAI actively trying not to fill Aviva?

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/international/2012/0914/337626-ireland-to-play-friendlies-with-greece-and-poland/

Cant get Brazil & Argentina everytime!

They are probably getting opponents that will test us against different styles of football, unlike Oman which was a blatant money making exercise where we learned very little about our players.

Ireland v Greece will just cause the world to collapse into itself in some black hole or something. Can only imagine the attendance for that turd come November if we get a mauling against the germans next month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,531 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I'm not sure who exactly you think we are!

Should be decent games. Poland and Ireland obviously have some decent relations and this should help fill the stadium (120,000 Poles in Ireland according to last census).

Greece are uber competitive with a relatively average squad and have outperformed us by almost every measure over the last 10 years. They should also be a good test if not a stadium filler.

• Advertisement

Ireland v Greece will just cause the world to collapse into itself in some black hole or something. Can only imagine the attendance for that turd come November if we get a mauling against the germans next month.

It'll be interesting solely from the pov of seeing how Greece play against a team that want to play even less than they do. Going by Euro 2012 Greece seem to try play for 45 mins, compared to us who usually total about 20 minutes per game.

Coincidentally I think the worst Ireland game I ever watched was that 0-0 v Greece in Athens in 2002. This fixture has a great chance to surpass it.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭TheBunk1

Greece, yes. Poland, no.

The match vs Poland is solely because of the fantastic interaction we had with the Polish fans at the EURO's. Every single Polish person I met there was great and the fantastic hospitality shown, not just to Irish fans, was amazing.

I hope we use this occasion as an opportunity to repay some of that hospitality to the Polish fans that attend. I think quite a few would travel over for this match too.

TheBunk1 wrote: »
    Greece, yes. Poland, no.

The match vs Poland is solely because of the fantastic interaction we had with the Polish fans at the EURO's. Every single Polish person I met there was great and the fantastic hospitality shown, not just to Irish fans, was amazing.

I hope we use this occasion as an opportunity to repay some of that hospitality to the Polish fans that attend. I think quite a few would travel over for this match too.

And Poles are the largest non-Irish nationality in the country!

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭TheBunk1

noodler wrote: »
    And Poles are the largest non-Irish nationality in the country!

We'll probably be outnumbered! Could be a great occasion though. Pity it's midweek.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,824 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Us playing Greece?

That will be some display of putrid football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I'm not sure who exactly you think we are!

Should be decent games. Poland and Ireland obviously have some decent relations and this should help fill the stadium (120,000 Poles in Ireland according to last census).

Greece are uber competitive with a relatively average squad and have outperformed us by almost every measure over the last 10 years. They should also be a good test if not a stadium filler.

Christ, you made Greece out to be a lot better then they actually are.

• Advertisement

Corholio wrote: »

Ahahah.

No, not at all!

They have outperformed us consistently over the last 10 years and consistently qualify for competitions - how is that an exaggeration?

Maybe you just don't compute the fact that a winning team isn't always a pretty one.

I'd easily put them in the top 10 European teams over the past decade. Not only have they won a tournament (something only Spain and Italy can claim in UEFA) but they've also won 3 qualifying groups out of five in the last decade (a feat only bettered by Italy and England). Basically they're a very consistent team and their last ten years has been better than anything Ireland has ever achieved (even during Charlton).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Ahahah.

No, not at all!

They have outperformed us consistently over the last 10 years and consistently qualify for competitions - how is that an exaggeration?

Maybe you just don't compute the fact that a winning team isn't always a pretty one.

Wasn't talking about Greece's style of play at all. Just the 'outperformed us by almost every measure over the past 10 years'. Bit of a dramatic way to describe opposition for a friendly no? Our friendlies are only used so we can draw matches and improve our co-efficent rating anyway.

Wasn't talking about Greece's style of play at all. Just the 'outperformed us by almost every measure over the past 10 years'. Bit of a dramatic way to describe opposition for a friendly no? Our friendlies are only used so we can draw matches and improve our co-efficent rating anyway.

Dramatic? No.

Just the truth.

They have qualified for far more tournaments (hell even won 2004). They have been top seeds in qualifyinh draws. Generally ranked well ahead of us.

As I said, "almost every measure".

They'll be a test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 97 ✭✭toc2012

Damian Delaney had another great game last night, very confident and controlling at full back, could he be the strong replacement we need for Dunne? He's worth a shot at least in up coming friendlies.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement