Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

briany wrote: »
    The consequences I imagine are a 3-0 loss and the next day's Herald headline, 'Blitzkreig'.

We're talking Germany here. They don't believe in taking the foot off the accelerator when trouncing a team. If we're as bad as Kazakhstan, then I fully expect the Germans to beat the living piss out of us. 3 nil if we're lucky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,313 ✭✭✭✭briany

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    We're talking Germany here. They don't believe in taking the foot off the accelerator when trouncing a team. If we're as bad as Kazakhstan, then I fully expect the Germans to beat the living piss out of us. 3 nil if we're lucky.

I do expect Ireland to be bad but not as bad as they were against Kazakhstan. Ireland will probably try to 'raise' their game against Germany, likely meaning trying to get physical. Germany would know that Ireland can be scrappy so I think once they're comfortably out of sight, they won't be breaking their backs going for 5 or 6 nil and risk injuries.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

5-0 Germany, you heard it here first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

1-1

Backs to the wall for 90mins and a goal from a dodgy penalty decision. Haters gona hate!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,531 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I would personally be shocked if McShane starts in central defence.

Looking from previous times when there have been defensive injuries it looks far more likely O'Shea will be brought in from RB to partner O'Dea and Kelly will be RB.

Kelly - O'Shea - O'Dea - Ward

I don't remember McShane starting many competitive games for Trap in Central defence. And I also remember Stephen Kelly getting the nod consistently if O'Shea was unavailable for RB.

Doesn't make me feel that much better - Germany should win regardless. Can't wait for it though - really hope we can make a decent atmosphere.

Whelan just subbed off in Liverpool Stoke game.

Will probably lead to cheers here but I'm a little worried we won't have any midfielders capable of putting a foot in on Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

Unless we get a raft of unfortunate injuries in defence, then here's what's looking likely:

Ward, McShane, O'Dea, O'Shea

With Andrews and Whelan sitting in front of that, I can only imagine the consequences.

dont want to see whelan in irish shirt again,, he being useless , cant pass and gives away the ball too much

noodler wrote: »

Will probably lead to cheers here but I'm a little worried we won't have any midfielders capable of putting a foot in on Friday.

Whelan can put a foot in?

Keith Fahey can do exact same job as Whelan and more. Whelan being out is the least of our worries.

• Advertisement

Keith Fahey can do exact same job as Whelan and more. Whelan being out is the least of our worries.

I think thats a bit naive to be honest.

We are going to struggle big time on Friday but with an Andrews/Fahey combo in midfield (coupled with two wingers) we look extremely lightweight.

Whelan plays regularly for Stoke so yeah, he knows how to tackle. He actually can pass a bit but for whatever reason its not on display in a green shirt.

Starting lineup is going to be interesting on Friday. I have a feeling the three man midfield is more likely than ever now with so many regulars missing.

I haven't heard official word on Whelan yet obviously - just basing it on him being subbed off 5 days before the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭bren2001

I think thats a bit naive to be honest.

We are going to struggle big time on Friday but with an Andrews/Fahey combo in midfield (coupled with two wingers) we look extremely lightweight.

Whelan plays regularly for Stoke so yeah, he knows how to tackle. He actually can pass a bit but for whatever reason its not on display in a green shirt.

Starting lineup is going to be interesting on Friday. I have a feeling the three man midfield is more likely than ever now with so many regulars missing.

I haven't heard official word on Whelan yet obviously - just basing it on him being subbed off 5 days before the game.

We could always be playing McCarthy, decent tackler. I do like Whelan tho, he would probrably make my starting 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

Unless we get a raft of unfortunate injuries in defence, then here's what's looking likely:

Ward, McShane, O'Dea, O'Shea

With Andrews and Whelan sitting in front of that, I can only imagine the consequences.

thats fvcking dire, i reckon o shea would be most peoples preference at centre half under the circumstances maybe with o dea (damaged limitation), wilson had a good game at left full the last time, and probably kelly/coleman at right full coleman being my personal preference.

in what, his mouth!! ..........ah in fairness i suppose hes a decent midfielder, just not under trap. imo we still have better players that could play there, fahey, mc carthy, hoolahan, meyler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

This is the latest news on injuries etc.

Good to see Clarke but he should have been there all along.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/international/2012/1008/340780-clarke-called-into-ireland-squad-for-germany-clash/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

So who is out ?

McLean
    Doyle
    Dunne

maybe Whelan and St Ledger

So Cox or Walters will be on the wing with McGeady, or will Trap live dangerously and start Coleman?

Good to see Clarke getting called up. If only he would get on ahead of O Dea.

Pity McShane and Ward arent out aswell

A case for asking Duff to come back?

McGeady and who for the wide berths? My money is on Trap picking Fahey like he did in Slovakia.

• Advertisement

A case for asking Duff to come back?

McGeady and who for the wide berths? My money is on Trap picking Fahey like he did in Slovakia.

no think hes gone now and best of luck to him.why not coleman or brady on the right or even switch mc geady to the right and stick hunt on but id rather coleman or brady

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

no think hes gone now and best of luck to him.why not coleman or brady on the right or even switch mc geady to the right and stick hunt on but id rather coleman or brady

Why do people think it won't be Cox on the left? Even if McClean were fit I woulda thought Cox would be preferred.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Would Shane Long not be a viable option on the wing, plenty of pace, hard worker and a fine crosser of the ball??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Hunt is out injured. I'd love to see McGeady and Brady start on the wings but it will be McGeady and 1 of Cox/Keogh on other wing.

He won't even consider Brady or Coleman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,432 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Its a pity Mcgeady is not injured.

How anyone rates him is beyond me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Stevecw wrote: »
    Hunt is out injured. I'd love to see McGeady and Brady start on the wings but it will be McGeady and 1 of Cox/Keogh on other wing.

keogh mcshambles and ward shouldn't be allowed in the stand let alone on the pitch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

With the squad we have now, i'd go for:
    Westwood
    Coleman O'shea Clark Wilson
    McCarthy Andrews Meyler
    Brady McGeady
    Long

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Aye I agree, he is mostly a headless chicken when he tries to dribble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Felexicon

LostBoy101 wrote: »

Aye I agree, he is mostly a headless chicken when he tries to dribble.
    Not true anymore. He's been one of our best players over the last 2 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

Felexicon wrote: »
    No he hasnt. With the exception of the Bosnia game, he hasn't even been our best player in a single game

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Thatsfootball

The man who said Long on the wing may have a good idea. His cross for a goal on Saturday was as good as a regular winger would play in!! Pity we don't have a player like Morrison to make them runs into the box late...well maybe Andrews but Trap probably doesn't allow it

Ormus wrote: »
    Why do people think it won't be Cox on the left? Even if McClean were fit I woulda thought Cox would be preferred.

i was just trying to avoid that awful scenario
    Stevecw wrote: »

didnt realise hunt was out aswell, would agree though id like to see mc geady and brady but we all know that wont happen.

Your joking................right?

Nah, he's more right than wrong,

This McGeady is sh1te stuff is a bit ridiculous.

care to tell me these games in which he was very good in past 2 years?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

McGeady is only shite if you're comparing him to Spain etc. For Ireland, he is one of our better players.

The mind boggles.

the man cant cross his legs.

In no way is he up there with Given, Dunne, Duff, Walters and Keane in performances over past 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

care to tell me these games in which he was very good in past 2 years?

Estonia away. Had a hand in two of the goals, was good defensively and a threat all night. I'm not his biggest fan either, but to give him his due, I thought he was very good in that match.

Ironically, that's probably the last time I've seen Ireland play well competitively.

The mind boggles.

In no way is he up there with Given, Dunne, Duff, Walters and Keane in performances over past 2 years.

well considering he doesnt play in goals or the other positions of players you mentioned except duff, i dont think the comparison is accurate. and you rate walters higher ???????????????? wtf:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

And saying he is or best player over the last 2 years is too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

McGeady is brilliant at beating players but his final ball, decision making and goal threat haven't really improved. It's a pity

Have a bad feeling about the game as most do I imagine but hopefully we can pull some kind of upset

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Felexicon

The mind boggles.

Walters? With all due respect, fcuk off pal. Walters has hardly featured over the last 2 years compared to McGeady.

Also people saying his final ball hasn't improved need to go back and watch his first few appearances for Ireland.

I'm not in any way saying he's a great player, just the best for Ireland over an extended period. That's not to say others haven't been better in individual games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

In a team full of diggers and sideways players, at least McGeady shows intent to attack. He needs to improve his decision making, but in most games he's our biggest attacking threat, this hasn't always come to fruition in terms of chances, but he can't be faulted for trying to make something happen. I've actually always wondered why Trap picks him, not because of his form or lack of form or whatever, but because he doesn't fit in with the rest of his 'team'. The reason McGeady can seem headless at times, and fair enough he does lose the ball too much, but it's also because he takes on players, tries to go past players etc while almost the entire rest of midfield do nothing of the sort and resort to passing it sideways or back, or pass it forward and lose it. While the rest of the team make their negative passes, as they should, McGeady shows a bit of invention and therefore loses it more than the rest. This is something that isn't always taken into account IMO.

i have to say i diagree with the mc geady is ****e posts i think hes a good player ok his final ball might not be what it should be for one thing but i dont believe hes the finished article as yet, i think hes shown a lot of improvement since he joined moscow and maybe another move mightnt be the worst thing for him to take it up another step.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Corholio wrote: »
    In a team full of diggers and sideways players, at least McGeady shows intent to attack. He needs to improve his decision making, but in most games he's our biggest attacking threat, this hasn't always come to fruition in terms of chances, but he can't be faulted for trying to make something happen. I've actually always wondered why Trap picks him, not because of his form or lack of form or whatever, but because he doesn't fit in with the rest of his 'team'. The reason McGeady can seem headless at times, and fair enough he does lose the ball too much, but it's also because he takes on players, tries to go past players etc while almost the entire rest of midfield do nothing of the sort and resort to passing it sideways or back, or pass it forward and lose it. While the rest of the team make their negative passes, as they should, McGeady shows a bit of invention and therefore loses it more than the rest. This is something that isn't always taken into account IMO.

That's a fair point. He would have a lot of pressure taken off him if he had two men inside who retained possession. And to add to that he usually doesn't get much support from the full back behind him.
    Having said that his final ball still leaves a lot to desire and he has not really kicked on as much as people expected from when he was a young lad. Still, he is the kind of player that defenders don't like. Quite a few teams have doubled up on him when he's playing for Ireland

i have to say i diagree with the mc geady is ****e posts i think hes a good player ok his final ball might not be what it should be for one thing but i dont believe hes the finished article as yet, i think hes shown a lot of improvement since he joined moscow and maybe another move mightnt be the worst thing for him to take it up another step.

Well, he'd want to be close to the finished article by now. To think of what Duff was like at 22. If McGeady can't cross the ball consistently at 26, he never will. For a winger that's sacrilege.

Walters? With all due respect, fcuk off pal. Walters has hardly featured over the last 2 years compared to McGeady.

Also people saying his final ball hasn't improved need to go back and watch his first few appearances for Ireland.

I'm not in any way saying he's a great player, just the best for Ireland over an extended period. That's not to say others haven't been better in individual games

Walters has played more decent games then Mcgeady.

Estonia away aside what other games has he been decent in???

Just give me games he has played well in bar Estonia and maybe I will not consider your post off the freaking wall Pal!!

TaosHum wrote: »
    Estonia away. Had a hand in two of the goals, was good defensively and a threat all night. I'm not his biggest fan either, but to give him his due, I thought he was very good in that match.

Ironically, that's probably the last time I've seen Ireland play well competitively.

1 game?? that all he has played well in???

1 ****ing game???

my point proven

well considering he doesnt play in goals or the other positions of players you mentioned except duff, i dont think the comparison is accurate. and you rate walters higher ???????????????? wtf:confused:

Yes Walters has played more decent games then McGeady.

He has made impact in games when he has come on as sub then McGeady can do in 90 minutes.

Considering the question was he was one of Irelands best players in past 2 years(im considering top 4 player here) then you can consider any position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Stick your precious McClean in the same role McGeady has to put up with in this Ireland team and we can put McClean into the "****" category too.

• Advertisement

dsmythy wrote: »
    Stick your precious McClean in the same role McGeady has to put up with in this Ireland team and we can put McClean into the "****" category too.

Role is irrelevant. More often than not McClean can cross the ball and hit the target with a shot. McGeady still struggles with these basics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

The thing with Ireland is I get the impression McGeady is being instructed NOT to cross (or at least not enouraged). My own impression is that McGeady , Duff et al are there as "an out", to hold the ball up and to win free kicks around the edge of the box. I don't think Trap want's them as traditional wingers, beating fullbacks, running down the line and whipping in tasty crosses. The fact that he has them all on the opposite wings indicates he wants these players to come inside, narrow the pitch and play with a strong defensive mentality.

Basically if you were to ask Trap the five things he wants McGeady(or anyone) to do during a game then crossing would be low on the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Yes Walters has played more decent games then McGeady.

He has made impact in games when he has come on as sub then McGeady can do in 90 minutes.

Considering the question was he was one of Irelands best players in past 2 years(im considering top 4 player here) then you can consider any position.

Who else has been excellent after that Estonia game? The home tie was noting but mediocrity. No one came out of the Euro's with their reputation enhanced. And the Kazagh game, Kevin Doyle.

I wont argue that he needs to produce more, considering his talent and the fact he is the only player playing European football. But the level of criticism he receives in comparison to other players who have been equally poor is unfair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,824 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

McClean is probably one of the best crossers in the Premier League right now, for me he is a better and more determined player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

I'm really dreading to see what kind of team Trap comes up with. And the saddest thing is it doesn't have to be that way! Lots of people have come up with teams I'd imagine most fans would be happy to see line out but we'll more than likely be looking at JOS at right full, when he simply can't play there anymore and is probably our best fit centre half, Ward at left full even though Wilson is a better player, God knows who at centre half and a forward on the wing.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement