Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roadside rescue for bikes

• 18-11-2011 2:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭

I have been with the AA for last 6/7 years and found them great. It took me a couple of years to realise they would also tow my bike :o Anyway got something in from my insurance company that they were now doing Roadside rescue etc for the car- my bike is also with them Axa and rang them up to find out if I bike would also be covered. They said it would be for free :) so thinking of cancelling my AA membership and using this instead as alot cheaper. Just wondering has anyway else used Roadside rescue through your insurance company on your bike - any good?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Why would you cancel your AA? Do you have a car that it would cover? If not, then yeah I can see why.

I used the AA for a breakdown once and found them to be very good, very polite, very accommodating and very efficient. I used the breakdown recovery that my insurance company use, and they dropped my bike from the back of the truck. I know it doesn't happen too much, but it happens. Just be careful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Why would you cancel your AA? Do you have a car that it would cover? If not, then yeah I can see why.

They are getting free recovery from their insurance that'll also cover the bike, why pay the AA for a similar service?
    I used the AA for a breakdown once and found them to be very good, very polite, very accommodating and very efficient. I used the breakdown recovery that my insurance company use, and they dropped my bike from the back of the truck. I know it doesn't happen too much, but it happens. Just be careful.

The AA have a bigger recovery fleet and in the major cities then bike recovery shouldn't be an issue. Once you leave the bigger urban areas they also sub out to local contractors, not as much as the insurance companies do, so the chances of having a proper bike recovery van a slim.

Doesn't matter if it's the AA or JimBo's towing if they drop it after loading it then they have to fix any damage they caused.

I've never really read the recovery part of my insurance policies, I rather getting a shock when I need them:D, but AFAIK most will recovery to a local garage while the AA will recover home. Recovery home may cost more then the saving, but that's only if you break down annually.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭BOF666

AA will cover you on someone else's bike aswell if that breaks down when you're on it, and they'll cover you in the uk if you're on a run over there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

Have used breakdown with Quinn twice myself and my friend did it once. Pretty good service, drops the bike to a garage of your choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

BOF666 wrote: »
    AA will cover you on someone else's bike aswell if that breaks down when you're on it,

You don't have to even be on it;) But I won't buy cover so I have free recovery for someone else, it's only useful if you're mates break down a lot and then I most definitely would make sure they had their own.
    BOF666 wrote: »
    and they'll cover you in the uk if you're on a run over there.

I'm with Adelaide and have that, AFAIK AON have EU recovery*. AA membership gets you a €10 discount for their EU recovery, which is €74 for 2 days with AA discount.

*These are most likely only recovery to a local garage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Thanks for the replies, I am going to cancel my AA and go with the insurance companies recovery service- they never had the service until recently. For the bike I never really go outside of Dublin so should be ok.

Advertisement