Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upc router move

• 18-11-2011 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Hi,

I want to move my router to my extension. 20-30 feet from the house( back of garden )

If I get coax cable and run it out there. Would there be much of a speed loss if any ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭oorrccaa

?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

best run long cat5e from the lan port on the router to your computer and leave the router in place.

Thanks any more opinions on this ? Would I get better speeds by coax cable or running ethernet from router to extension ?
    I have powerline plugs out there at the moment but the speed drops an awful lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 297 ✭✭iMADEtheBBC

The advice on running Cat5 cable is sound. That will be a whole lot more straightforward. Run 2 lengths of Cat5 or Cat6 and you'll be sorted. Buy a small hub and/or wireless access point in the extension and you're laughing.

thanks for that. Why would I have two run two lenghts. Would there be as much of signal loss doing it this way compared to the powerline plugs ?

And dumb question what is a hub switch ? does it just turn one ethernet port into multiple ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

you only need to run one cable. cat5e or cat6 will definitely be your best bet and there should be no loss of signal strength as long as you use decent quality (i.e. certified) cable and terminate it properly and the length is less than 100m.

if you are just connecting one device then that'll do fine how it is, but if you want to plug in more devices then pick up a 5 port switch (much better and faster option than a hub and marginally different in price) from any electronics store (or online if you don't mind waiting for it to save money) and plug the cable into that and you instantly have 4 more ports with no extra configuration required other than plugging in it's power lead. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 297 ✭✭iMADEtheBBC

I should have added: if you're going to run one cable you might as well run two cables while you're at it. You might decide to put a telephone point in the room also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

I should have added: if you're going to run one cable you might as well run two cables while you're at it. You might decide to put a telephone point in the room also.
    a very good point, cat5 makes a very good substitute for phone cable. :)

you're also getting into the territory where the cheapest option is to just buy a 305m box of cable from an electrical wholesaler for around 50-60 quid.

if you have a decent amount left over and don't intend to ever use it, you can probably sell it on via adverts.ie or keep it for possible future cabling work for friends and family.

Advertisement