Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hot chocolate fondant advice please

Options
  • 18-11-2011 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭

Hi. Know its a bit early but want to have a trial run or two before the day. I am on Christmas dessert (and starter) duties and I think i want to make hot chocolate fondants. What do people think is the best and simpliest way to make these. Please bear in mind I am not a very experienced dessert maker at all. And will be probably looking to make the mix the day before. Nigella's recipe looks fairly easy. Has anyone tried these? Any major pitfalls when making choc fondants. Also would I be advised to invest in some of the individual rubber (or are they silicon?) muffin moulds you can buy or are the ordinary moulds just as good. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Nigella's recipe is good. It can be made in advance and kept in the fridge. I use these moulds and find them great.

31THGV9Y47L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Debenhams, Arnotts and Clerys usually have them. I always follow Nigella's advice and line the bottom of them with parchment. They always work perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Is it Nigellas chocohotopots? It's a very easy and yummy recipe spongey cakey with a lovely hot chocolatey runny center once you stick the spoon in.

I use regular little ramekins you can get nice coloured ones and red ones for Xmas they aren't too expensive sometimes Heatons has them.

They take a couple of minutes to make and a few minutes in the oven you can't go wrong with them just make sure you put the ramekins on to a baking tray it makes them easier to take out of the oven afterwards.

We love them in this house, and the white chocolate chips are the only way to go, have tried using dark choc chips but the white chocolate chips really make it. I have used mini marshmallows too that turned out grand but the white choc chips are my fave.

If you do the chocohotopots they are much simpler and so yummy. Here's a pic of them, they look nicer if you sprinkle a little icing sugar or edible glitter on top before serving and if using a gold or red ramekin they'd look more christmassy.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

The Nigella recipe I make is the chocolate babycakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Never seen that recipe of hers *goes off to have a look.....they look similar to the chocohotopots must give them a go. Nigella will be the death of me butter and chocolate mad woman lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

OP, I always make Rachel Allen's ones. They're gorgeous :D

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1078482/Chocolate-lava-cakes.html

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭plastic glass

thanks for all the advice. Yes they are called molten babycakes alright but essentially the same as a fondant i think. May try the rachel allen one as well. Just one question. When you say place baking parchment in the mould is this just at the base of the mould or all the way inside the mould?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

usually at the base and another strip running around the inside. btw, Gordan Ramsey has an easy recipe too. (as much I don't like him, his recipes are quite good) http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/8168/chocolate-fondant

x

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭plastic glass

thanks I will actually try gordon's recipe (like you emzolita i really dislike him). at first i thought his would be too complicated but seems straight forward enough. have you seen raymond blanc's though? yikes, really complicated. would be unreal though if done right

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭joanas

Gordon Ramsey's fondants are fab. Have made these several times now and never a problem, so long as you follow the recipe exactly. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement