Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Office Toilets

Options
  • 18-11-2011 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Hi,
    I work in a small office 10 employees, 9 female & 1 male.
    Our female toilet is currently out of order, can be flushed when we manually fill the cistern.
    Our boss is now refusing to repair our toilets and is telling us to use the male toilets.
    Now the male toilets is not pleasant even with only 1 male in the office.
    Where do we stand or must we now use the male toilets.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

Oh hardship. Imagine if you had 2 of those subspecies males!!

Detergent, air freshner, get a life

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Cookie89

Not helpful. Its not practical to expect 10 people to use the same toilet as well as clients on a daily basis.

And there is no office cleaner, I did not spend 8 years of my life studying to clean up others people messes

Our office agrees its not practical, we're just wondering what we can say/do to help our case

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

I think there is Health and Safety regs regarding the ratio of toilets to people and I think 1 to 10 comes under this but have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Cookie89 wrote: »
    Not helpful.

No, it wasn't. Please try and be more constructive in replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭nothing

Not helpful. Its not practical to expect 10 people to use the same toilet as well as clients on a daily basis.

But there were 9 of you sharing one up to now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Paulyh

Gmol wrote: »
    I think there is Health and Safety regs regarding the ratio of toilets to people and I think 1 to 10 comes under this but have a look.

This is correct, it would depend also on the configuration of the toilets, eg. the amount of toilet bowls to wash hand basins. But this will depend on the age of the building etc. So the answer is yes, there are regulations covering this, but getting it enforced is another matter.
    Just start weeing in the bin at your desk until it is fixed :D
    Or take 30mins to go to a pub near you to use their toilets, your boss will soon have them fixed then!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

And there is no office cleaner, I did not spend 8 years of my life studying to clean up others people messes

I've worked in places where there was one toilet to 20 staff both male and female. Not a bother, and we didn't have a cleaner either we cleaned it ourselves on a roster basis.

I don't think you'll get far with the attitude shown above to be honest. Nothing wrong with cleaning toilets and I know plenty of people that have studied/were on higher management salaries and have mucked in. Hope you never find yourself in a position where you need to make ends meet and have to take a cleaning job.:rolleyes:
    Our office agrees its not practical, we're just wondering what we can say/do to help our case

If the situation were reversed and it was the male toilet out of use would the office get as worked up?

All that said if I were the manager I would make some effort to fix it or even say it will be fixed, just there isn't cash to do it immediately. Maybe it's a case of get it fixed and not have enough cash for wages, maybe he's trying to make out the business is cash strapped, keep you on your toes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Oscars Well.

nothing wrote: »

He has a good point there!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Antomus Prime

nothing wrote: »
    He has a good point there!

^^^Agreed^^^, is the issue that you have to share with the 1 boy or the fact that there's one extra person using the same toilet now? Personally I dont see the problem. If there's no office cleaner then who cleans the place? Surely the employees wouldnt mind all pitching together as it would make more sense than having to work in a dirty environment.

And in response to ....
    I did not spend 8 years of my life studying to clean up others people messes

I did not spend nearly six years of a plumbing apprenticeship to sit in a call center all day wrecking everyones head with telesales calls but I do what I have to do.

So Although it's not what you're used to (which most peoples current situations are'nt) I think you should suck it up and deal with it like everyone else has to...

And if all this sounds very bitchy then i apologize, but it wrecks my head when i hear people say "I didnt spend x amount of years doing blah blah".... It's infuriating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

Now the male toilets is not pleasant even with only 1 male in the office

having had to clean public/office toilets while working as a student I can tell you that the ladies toilets were always dirtier irrespective of the location/number of users.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭coco_lola

amen wrote: »
    having had to clean public/office toilets while working as a student I can tell you that the ladies toilets were always dirtier irrespective of the location/number of users.

Agreed, I'm a woman myself and I would go as far as to say that women can be filthy..those sanitary bins are a prime example, wrap it up, it takes two minutes!

Anyway, that was off topic. There are 10 of you to one toilet, as opposed to nine before. There is a male and female bathroom on our floor, each with six cubicles for 120 people about a 60/40 male/female ratio, works just fine. I don't see the problem.

You sound quite condescending by the way with your remark on not spending 7 years studying to clean up other people's messes. Surely, it's your mess too?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

coco_lola wrote: »
    Anyway, that was off topic. There are 10 of you to one toilet, as opposed to nine before. There is a male and female bathroom on our floor, each with six cubicles for 120 people about a 60/40 male/female ratio, works just fine. I don't see the problem.
    Reminds of when one of the lads jacks broke; 900 lads had 4 cubicles, and the 20 women had 8. The bushes near the smoking area were never so watered!
    Our female toilet is currently out of order, can be flushed when we manually fill the cistern.
    So it works.
    Now the male toilets is not pleasant even with only 1 male in the office.
    Poor dude. Not only is his toilet useless, he now has to share it with 9 women. Maybe get some smellies to freshen the place up? Is there a window or an extractor fan in it?

Finally, is the boss male or female? If all else fails, note when the boss goes to the loo. If they have a habit of a certain time, have a curry and a few pints of Guinness the night before, and 10 minutes before the boss goes to the toilet, nuke the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Cookie89

Hi guys,
    Our main issue was that we were shown no respect that we went from having 2 ladies cubicles to none, believe money was not an issue.
    We argued our point and quoted Health & Safety reg's (thanks Gmol, none of us could think) and that now there would be no toilet on the ground floor & it was agreed to fix.
    It wasn't going to be major to fix just a new part for both toilets , Thanks again,

Advertisement