Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are combat pants still acceptable fashion wear?

• 18-11-2011 3:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭

Howzit goin AH'ers.

I'm just going in town to buy some new gear. I need a couple of t-shirts, a pair of pants and a new pair of runners.

I was just wondering whether I should avoid combat style pants as I think they might have slipped off the acceptable gear radar.

Bonus points for suggestion pics.

What say y'all?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

baggy chinos are the new combats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

No pants is the new pants.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

F*ck yeah! For me anyways.

*I'm a metal-head. So don't take any fashion advice from me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

These are the runners I have my eye on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

No not anymore well for girls anyways but for guys its ok I think. Cords is better.

• Advertisement

chin_grin wrote: »
    F*ck yeah! For me anyways.

*I'm a metal-head. So don't take any fashion advice from me.

I'm a huge metal fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Studded thongs are in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

I suggest this look its all the rage somewhere

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcReUrWc59QJDga9LdeArhVA03oRNcY5wwPXHwN0xiR7eb8bsut3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Still considered essential if intending to join the Shell to Sea or Occupy Dublin protests.

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    No pants is the new pants.

OOhh - Suit you Sir

• Advertisement

I suggest this look its all the rage somewhere

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcReUrWc59QJDga9LdeArhVA03oRNcY5wwPXHwN0xiR7eb8bsut3

I really did laugh out loud. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

If you like them buy them, if you dont like them dont buy them.

These are the runners I have my eye on.

i always go in to buy adidas and leave with lacoste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

pmcmahon wrote: »
    I'm a huge metal fan.

Me too!

Although please note that I don't dress like that. Baggy combats, Vans\DC or Osiris black runners, metal-related t shirt (music not the element hardeeharhar) and a hoody. That's me sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Howzit goin AH'ers.

I'm just going in town to buy some new gear. I need a couple of t-shirts, a pair of pants and a new pair of runners.

I was just wondering whether I should avoid combat style pants as I think they might have slipped off the acceptable gear radar.

Bonus points for suggestion pics.

What say y'all?

According to whom?

You like it, wear it. Simple enough no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Antomus Prime

Are you planning on going to combat??

If yes then yes

If not then yes.......... wear whatever clothes you want

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Shakeyspears

Combat pants were never fashionable. Unless you want to join the Village People as the "Army Guy"

Or K-swiss.:)

Or K-swiss.:)

they are pretty sexy on the foot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

The best sort of causal/work wear around and I also like the summers shorts variation of the combats ...like these and these

• Advertisement

Combat pants were never fashionable. Unless you want to join the Village People as the "Army Guy"

Those who are concerned with what's fashionable are a better fit for the Village People than someone who is not.

If you like them buy them, if you dont like them dont buy them.
    According to whom?

You like it, wear it. Simple enough no?
    Are you planning on going to combat??

If yes then yes

If not then yes.......... wear whatever clothes you want

Lads, I like the comfort of a nice tracksuit around the house - if it was as simple as 'if you like it buy it' then I'd wear track-suits all the time but that's a bit simplistic.

You feel me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I prefer plain boxer shorts myself.

Why would you need loads of pockets in your pants, what would you keep in them?

Latchy wrote: »
    The best sort of causal/work wear around and I also like the summers shorts variation of the combats ...like these and these

I like those 2nd ones in summer. I have one pair but they're beginning to fade. Quite hard to get those three-quarter length ones in the shops actually (Cork City anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

I think it is acceptable if you live somewhere like clare or limerick, or anywhere really over there. You're most likely seen to be eating a boiled chicken and cheddar pizza in a ford focus, outside a petrol station. And you'll have those stupid gaa wool strings hanging from your rear view.

Lads, I like the comfort of a nice tracksuit around the house - if it was as simple as 'if you like it buy it' then I'd wear track-suits all the time but that's a bit simplistic.

You feel me?

that's the way i was at the start and now all i wear is tracksuits,nothing better than a freshly washed pair of baggy cotton track suit bottoms and a fluffly hoody after a nice shower.

Ball of string.
    Pocket knife.
    Gum.
    A little mouse.
    Laser pointer.
    L.E.D. torch.
    Werthers Originals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

Well if its comfort you are after you should try these.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSNK2OG6jlg_0-97c984Nczf3-Zbo0orbX7onVeRg4hahrgTTAgEQ

You feel me?

As do I, tracksuits are great for arsing about in.

Simply put, if you feel you want a pair of combat type jocks then don't concern yourself with whether or not the fashion police are gonna pounce on you on the street and publically shame you for your crimes against fashion and/or humanity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Ball of string.
    Pocket knife.
    Gum.
    A little mouse.
    Laser pointer.
    L.E.D. torch.
    Werthers Originals.

Werther's Originals in you pants?

Assuming you were not leaving them back in your hotel or accommodation , Passport ,camera ,wallet, Ipod and other holiday paraphernalia.
    I like those 2nd ones in summer. I have one pair but they're beginning to fade. Quite hard to get those three-quarter length ones in the shops actually (Cork City anyway)
    I wear them when away on holiday which as I'm sure you know , is a must these days when out in the sun and also at home when it's just to warm for jeans or pants ...so comfortable .

Werther's Originals in you pants?

Werthers Originals are for old geezers, not kids, ya big goof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

If advertisement has taught me anything, it's that they are used by old people to snare children. Children in your pants. :pac:

Edit: though I must commend you on the use of the word goof. I did a real life LOL at that! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭cena

I love them kind of pants. Really nice too have my wallet down near my knees. Hate having them in any other pocket.

Where is the best place too get these pants. Idon't really them for sale anymore

Edit: though I must commend you on the use of the word goof. I did a real life LOL at that! :D

I stole it from Dumb and Dumber. ;)

• Advertisement

Army surplus and some high street stores sell the combats as well as online . Ebay is also a good place to find them .

cena wrote: »
    Where is the best place too get these pants. Idon't really them for sale anymore

That's why I'm suspicious combats might be uncool now-a-days. Didn't see them anywhere the last time I was clothes hunting a couple of weeks ago.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

People who wear combat pants should be kicked out of a plane over a warzone..airsofters too.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Degsy wrote: »
    People who wear combat pants should be kicked out of a plane over a warzone..airsofters too.
    Soldiers wearing combats usually jump out of planes ...nobody kicks them out

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

What is the acceptable age cut off for wearing combats?
    I ask because I like to wear them with a nice pair of runners, tis a comfort thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Lacoste have gone down recently for me, had switched over to them completely a few years ago.

Cork city centre is fairly crap tbh.
    That's why I'm suspicious combats might be uncool now-a-days. Didn't see them anywhere the last time I was clothes hunting a couple of weeks ago.

Might be to do with winter too, used to see lots of people in combats out in CIT last summer or maybe it was the one before that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭vampire of kilmainham

i say go for whatever you feel comfortable with if you like combats go for it they never really go out of fashion anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Of course, my young son wears them all the time.

He's 3.

The mots are all over him at the creche.

Kasabian wrote: »
    What is the acceptable age cut off for wearing combats?
    I ask because I like to wear them with a nice pair of runners, tis a comfort thing.
    I think it comes down to what looks ok on the individual . Some 40 year olds look comfortable in them ,others will not and size and weight might have a lot to do with it to . I still have a couple of pair which I tend to wear if doing a diy,painting or garden job but would have no problem wearing a new pair in public and friends family would be the first to tell me if something looks ' Naff' on me .

I see all age groups ,from 20 to 70 sometimes wearing them and just about everybody , from every age group, wear the shorter knee versions on holiday abroad but really all about how comfortable you feel wearing them yourself .

I'm a huge metal fan.
    thats cool

dont forget if your buying combats the special offer this week is one free AK47 rifle and 1000 rounds of 7.62mm ammo :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

Maybe he would like to attract young people attracted to old people....like Wayne Rooney

Well if its comfort you are after you should try these.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSNK2OG6jlg_0-97c984Nczf3-Zbo0orbX7onVeRg4hahrgTTAgEQ
    sooo gay

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

Acceptable fashion to wear? Where to you live? Airstrip 1?

• Advertisement
Advertisement