Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do we have toenails?

• 18-11-2011 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

Anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

It gives gross people one more thing to chew on!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

To climb trees with.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Angeles

To scratch that annoying itch on the other foot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭earpiece

starch4ser wrote: »
    Anyone?

If you don't want yours, I'll prise 'em off with a screw driver for you?
    Make for great You Tube footage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

to thow at people

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

because i'd imagine the rubbing at the top of your foot from shoes with leave you with constant irritation of the skin.I'm not dentist though so don't take my word for it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Its a matter of debate but this might be your best answer: http://ask.yahoo.com/20010504.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

They're just vestiges of evolution

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Left overs from the course of evolution. They would have been some sort of claw in our ancestors history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

pmcmahon wrote: »
    because i'd imagine the rubbing at the top of your foot from shoes with leave you with constant irritation of the skin.I'm not dentist though so don't take my word for it.

What about before shoes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

What about before shoes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

So I can paint them to look pretty -

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Former claws I reckon.

funkyjebus wrote: »
    What about before shoes!

i believe in creationist theory,we've always had shoes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

Oranage2 wrote: »
    So I can paint them to look pretty -

this, basically if you have toe nails you are a girl

Saila wrote: »

painted toenails look rank

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭Dublin Chick

painting toenails look rank

:confused::confused:

:confused::confused:

painted,my bad.

A little gloss maybe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

To protect our feet and toes when we walk on foot!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Because that's how God designed it.

• Advertisement

doovdela wrote: »

you've clearly never cracked your toe off the bed and cracked a toe nail.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 687 ✭✭✭headmaster

The Americans were the 1st race to have toe nails. They used them as tooth picks, long before the europeans knew what they were for. The reason being that the yanks had such big mouths that the foot was the only thing that would fit into the cavity and scrape all the sh1te out. Now though, the europeans are really catching up, but not using them as much as they should be ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

because we wouldn't know what to call toes if they weren't stuck to toe nails.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

you've clearly never cracked your toe off the bed and cracked a toe nail.

No I wear nail polish on my toenails!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Traction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

They're there to stop your toes from fraying.
    A bit like that little plastic jobbie at the end of your shoelaces

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Saila wrote: »

Guys cant make their toenails pretty too? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭kazul

doovdela wrote: »

Is "walking on foot" different to other types of walking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

Some might say that God is a bit of a messer with the way he added body parts that currently serve no purpose and look like vestigal organs from an evolutionary past but are in fact merely placed within us to test our faith.

However, toenails are not one of these. He put them there for aesthetic reasons. How stupid would we look if we all had fingernails but no toenails. That would just look silly!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭LeeHoffmann

Is "walking on foot" different to other types of walking?
    walk on water? walking on sunshine? walking on air? I dunno

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

Since the invention of toenails, prophesised by both Leonardo and Darwin, a range of industries and millions of jobs have been developed to cater for the wearers. Imagine the consequences if toenails had not been invented or if the government were to attach a Draconian tax on keratin:

· The hosiery industry would shrink without toenails secretly eroding their products from the inside. Darning would become a lost art. Millions of sock-makers, distributors, retail staff and darning teachers would be unemployed;
    · International dialogue would be diminished because purchasing socks in a foreign country, and trying to communicate with those foreign shop assistants about those strange sizes on those foreign socks would become unnecessary;
    · The pharmaceutical industry and those podiatrists whom we hold in such regard would be devastated by the disappearance of various fungal conditions. Where would those spores live then? Well?
    · The beauty(?) in a bottle industry would be devastated and millions of highly-trained and qualified beauticians would be unemployed if toenails were not available for decoration. And, as a direct consequence, the child-care industry would wither away because, as we all know, without decorated toenails, males would no longer be attracted to females;
    · The plumbing industry would be hit badly if there were no longer blockages caused by toenail clippings. Millions of plumbers and plunger manufacturers would be idle. There could well be a criminal response, e.g. the production of fake toenail clippings and threats to block civic or national drains with them. We would all be doomed;
    · Shoe sales would also suffer because mothers would have no reason to press their thumbs on the toes of their children’s new shoes, thereby giving mothers less reason to enter shoe shops. Millions of shoe shops would close down and airhead SITC fans would have 50% less to talk about;
    · The standard of debate would suffer since there would be no need to discuss the best implements to trim toenails, e.g. scissors, clippers, kitchen knife, cheese-grater, teeth, etc., etc.

So, beware even considering the purpose of toenails. They are a vital component to 21 century global economies and I, for one, am delighted to have my twelve toenails.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Either God put them there or they are vestigial remnants of our three climbing past, further back even they were our lizard claws.

Advertisement