Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

the english can't pronounce "ing"

• 18-11-2011 3:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭

The english are always taking the mickey out of us for not being able to pronounce our TH's ...but have you ever noticed they can't pronounce "ing" at the end of words it becomes "ink"

something > someth'ink nothing > noth'ink looking > look'ink

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Didn't you have another thread that was locked as it was in the wrong place?

I can see the same think happenink here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

i say nu'in for nothing so i dont think i can talk

same with aaahin for anything

Stupid Dublin accent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

fryup wrote: »
    The english are always taking the mickey out of us for not being able to pronounce our TH's ...but have you ever noticed they can't pronounce "ing" at the end of words it becomes "ink"

its nufink

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Antomus Prime

dont forget replacing TH with F.... noFink, someFink,

awh too slow.......... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Northerners leave the g off the end of the ing (myself included).

Accents are what makes spoken language interesting OP.

• Advertisement

Northerners leave the g of the end of the ing (myself included).

Understanding each other are what makes spoken language interesting OP.

FYP :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Remember girls, if you don't feel nuttin, hit that button.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Northerners leave the g of the end of the ing (myself included).

Indeed and the variation of regional dialects and accents of the English are just as diverse and interesting as the Irish.

Saila wrote: »
    its nufink

In London it is, in Manchester it's nowt.

In London it is, in Manchester it's nowt.

And something is "summit"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

In before someone says that the English can't pronounce "sorry".

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

ejmaztec wrote: »
    In before someone says that the English can't pronounce "sorry".

Yeah, they're all like "excuse me"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

The English should definitely try to go back to when they used to speaka the lingo proper and wotnot

''You'se aint commin into moi effin pubb ...nah sling yer ook ''

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

it's southerners who can't pronounce it, just like they put an "r" in "drawing".

Up north we speak properly.........apart from the words "to" and "the" not existing. i.e. "are we going t'pub?"

And something is "summit"

more like "summat" really. Nowt wrong wi' that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

English English

Nigel: All right, my son: I could've had it away with this cracking Julie, my old China.
    Austin: Are you telling pork-pies and a bag of trout? Because if you are feeling quigly, why not just have a J. Arthur?
    Nigel: What, billy no mates?
    Austin: Too right, youth.
    Nigel: Don't you remember the crimbo din-din we had with the grotty Scots bint?
    Austin: Oh, the one that was all sixes and sevens!
    Nigel: Yeah, yeah, she was the trouble and strife of the Morris dancer what lived up the apples and pears!
    Austin: She was the barrister what become a bobby in a lorry and...
    Austin & Nigel: --tea kettle!
    Nigel: And then, and then--
    Austin & Nigel: She shat on a turtle!

:confused:

foxyboxer wrote: »
    English English

Nigel: All right, my son: I could've had it away with this cracking Julie, my old China.
    Austin: Are you telling pork-pies and a bag of trout? Because if you are feeling quigly, why not just have a J. Arthur?
    Nigel: What, billy no mates?
    Austin: Too right, youth.
    Nigel: Don't you remember the crimbo din-din we had with the grotty Scots bint?
    Austin: Oh, the one that was all sixes and sevens!
    Nigel: Yeah, yeah, she was the trouble and strife of the Morris dancer what lived up the apples and pears!
    Austin: She was the barrister what become a bobby in a lorry and...
    Austin & Nigel: --tea kettle!
    Nigel: And then, and then--
    Austin & Nigel: She shat on a turtle!

:confused:

i'm english and can't understand that. never heard anyone speak like that anywhere (other than irish or american sketch shows etc)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I love the S.W. English accent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 687 ✭✭✭headmaster

What I really notice of late is the way in which teenagers and young people speak. It's impossible to understand what they are saying. The speed at which they speak, the pronunciation, never mind the ridiculous accents. I'm guessing it must have a lot to do with texting, etc. Thing is though, they really cannot speak properly and on a one to one, cannot communicate at all, only in groups.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Northerners leave the g off the end of the ing (myself included).

Most people in the west don't pronounce them either.

Most people in the west don't pronounce them either.

if you mean south west, that may be true. in the west and north-west they certainly do pronounce them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

DIS TREAD IS MAD OR SUTIN

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I don't get why people get so hung up on differences of pronunciation between different English-speaker accents, especially when it's clear what the person is saying.

First off, not all English people pronounce "ing" as "ink." Those who do are probably in a minority.

Second, if you were to include every way in which people pronounce words or sounds differently from what is perceived to be the standard, you'd never get finished.

Do you get annoyed by the way most Americans pronounce "whales" and "Wales" the same way?

Anyway, there's effectively no such thing as standard, "correct" English, and that's the beauty of it.

It's an amazing language, allowing for an incredible level of variation while still allowing for easy comprehension between English-speakers from vastly different backgrounds.

Why you be straight trippin' 'bout these differences feen, innit?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Its probably a holdover from the original German. I reckon theres not much left of English if you take away the French, Gaelic, and German parts.

I was talking to a French woman the last day and she said, "oh I forgot the answer to that question, I had a how do you say, a white moment"... I puzzled my head for a minute till I realised that "white" in French is "blanc"->"blank".

Now wasn't that interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

They seem to have trouble pronouncing anything that is remotely Irish, even if they try say it phonetically. Galway becomes Ghoul-way, Donegal is alway Donagh-gall and Cahill becomes Cay-hill. Thats all I can think of off the top of my head but watching something like Sky News/Sports if there's a story from Ireland can be so cringeworthy.

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Its probably a holdover from the original German. I reckon theres not much left of English if you take away the French, Gaelic, and German parts.

I was talking to a French woman the last day and she said, "oh I forgot the answer to that question, I had a how do you say, a white moment"... I puzzled my head for a minute till I realised that "white" in French is "blanc"->"blank".

Now wasn't that interesting.

That would be "the other day" in England.

Johnaton Woss pronounces ' Fred ' as ' F'wed ' .

Latchy wrote: »
    Johnaton Woss pronounces ' Fred ' as ' F'wed ' .

Woss is wubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

I don't pronounce the 't' at the end of words like 'What', it's more like 'Whoh'. No 'g' at the ends of 'ings' or 'y' in the middle of some words so be like 'Anntin' instead of 'Anything'.

TL;DR - I'm a bogger from the midlands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Potato starts with a P not a B, that is all.

keano_afc wrote: »
    They seem to have trouble pronouncing anything that is remotely Irish, even if they try say it phonetically. Galway becomes Ghoul-way, Donegal is alway Donagh-gall and Cahill becomes Cay-hill. Thats all I can think of off the top of my head but watching something like Sky News/Sports if there's a story from Ireland can be so cringeworthy.

i agree. when they talk about Keith Fahy it becomes "Fawhee".

it's the same on irish sports shows when they mispronounce Birming-HAM (it's Birmingum) and SunderLAND (it's Sunderluhnd)

keano_afc wrote: »

That's true, but I think that can be attributed to accent differences. Having a vowel followed by a "h" or "h" sound like in "Cahill," "Doherty" or "Gallagher" is not something you find so often in English names, so lots of English people struggle a bit with them.

I think it works both ways as well: I heard an RTÉ reporter mispronounce "Southwark," pronouncing it phonetically, and I'm pretty sure I heard another mispronounce "Berkshire" recently.
    And lots of us would struggle with names like "Worcestershire" and "St.John," and I think most people round the world not only mispronounce Evelyn Waugh's first name, but get his gender wrong too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

African Americans seem to always pronounce ask as axe, at least on tv and in movies, I dont see many of them in Ireland

summerskin wrote: »
    i agree. when they talk about Keith Fahy it becomes "Fawhee".

it's the same on irish sports shows when they mispronounce Birming-HAM (it's Birmingum) and SunderLAND (it's Sunderluhnd)

Irish reporters also say Ports-Mouth instead of its correct pronunciation which is Portsmuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

African Americans seem to always pronounce ask as axe, at least on tv and in movies, I dont see many of them in Ireland

and they get defensive if you axe them why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Yet the irish dont pronounce the ing the irsh say in like nothin, lookin, somethin.

I grew up in the uk and we all said ing it was drummed into us. when i moved back to ireland at age 8 the school kids kept telling me that i was saying ing and that it wasnt right..

That's true, but I think that can be attributed to accent differences. Having a vowel followed by a "h" or "h" sound like in "Cahill," "Doherty" or "Gallagher" is not something you find so often in English names, so lots of English people struggle a bit with them.

I think it works both ways as well: I heard an RTÉ reporter mispronounce "Southwark," pronouncing it phonetically, and I'm pretty sure I heard another mispronounce "Berkshire" recently.
    And lots of us would struggle with names like "Worcestershire" and "St.John," and I think most people round the world not only mispronounce Evelyn Waugh's first name, but get his gender wrong too!

In England we tend to use the American pronunciation. Like Ma-Ho-Nee instead of Marney for Mahoney or Dokerty instead of Doherty.

Woss is wubbish.
    The BBC and it's licence paying tv viewers /radio listeners thought so to .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭chasm

The pronunciation of "ing" as "ink" is common around London and parts of the surrounding counties, but not overly common elsewhere, so i wouldn't say it's an english thing tbh, not even sure it could be classed as a dialect either. Pronouncing "Th" as "F" is more common in England.

However the pronunciation of "Th" as "T" (as in Thirty= turty, three= tree) is common all over Ireland, i have heard teachers pronounce it like that, and reporters on the news! To make matters worse because people pronounce it like that they go on to spell/write it like that too - boards is full of "treads" and donedeal is full of "threadmills" in the gym equipment catergory!

• Advertisement

In England they will also say Kav-an-nah instead of Kavanagh and Moran will not have the syllable dragged out but just as one sound ' Moran'.

In England we tend to use the American pronunciation. Like Ma-Ho-Nee instead of Marney for Mahoney or Dokerty instead of Doherty.

Yeah, I've noticed that, those pronunciations seem to lend themselves better to English accents.

The same way we say "Pyoo-zho" instead of "Peh-zho" for "Peugeot" as it's more natural to say the former with an Irish accent.

And with regards to the thread title and opening post, I hope the OP is aware he's leaving himself open to all sorts of "Irish people can't use capital letters" accusations :).

One of my kids came home from school a bit confused because one of her teachers was talking about Westminister instead of Westminster. To this day, that teacher won't be told that she's wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

That would be "the other day" in England.
    Or "de uvva doi".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

No English I've ever heard of comes from Merseyside.

gavredking wrote: »
    No English I've ever heard of comes from Merseyside.
    I'm pretty sure they understood you fine to when you where last over there .

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Or "de uvva doi".

No, that would be Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins.

No, that would be Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins.
    The worst American doing an English accent ...'Evah '

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭amortentia

I'm English and moved here when I was around 10 (now 18) and still have my accent. I think a lot of people in general don't realise how difficult it is to physically pronounce certain letters in words when you grew up not pronouncing them! Like I have to strain to pronounce an "R" or sometimes "L" at the end of a syllable such as in words like "circle", or "four". Plus I sound like an idiot if I try, so I don't. Actually "L"'s are easier to say, but for the longest time I just couldn't. So sometimes (usually country people) don't understand what I'm saying/think I have a speech impediment until they realise that I actually have an English accent?!

And its the "TEMZ" not the "Thhhhayyms". Rarely comes up in conversation but I've heard it multiple times over the years :P

In before Brummytom tells us about the slices of mate his mother puts on his sanwidgis.

• Advertisement
Advertisement