Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

the english can't pronounce "ing"

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

ejmaztec wrote: »
    No, that would be Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins.
    Great, I can't wait to tell my nephew in London that he does a great Dick Van Dyke impression.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Great, I can't wait to tell my nephew in London that he does a great Dick Van Dyke impression.

He'll probably tell you that you wrote it down wrong, Dick.:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭shannon_tek

You got it all worng. since when do the english mock the irish. :D

But in saying that. none of my family can say TH or ing.
    Only i the one from england in Ireland. and yes the Irish do pronounce their TH's
    like those who pronounce louth = loud / loud = louth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Metallica_

Well as a Londoner i do have the habit of dropping the 'g' off the end of alot of words or add in an 'f' but living in Galway alot of my friends and family out here do too, just slightly differently. They just dont have the brilliant London accent to pull it off ;)

Dont really get the point of this thread as we could be here all day pointing out how others pronounce words but I love my accent mate, innit!!

You there, slag. Get in the automobile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

I said South-waark instead of suth-uck for a good while :o

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

amortentia wrote: »
    I'm English and moved here when I was around 10 (now 18) and still have my accent. I think a lot of people in general don't realise how difficult it is to physically pronounce certain letters in words when you grew up not pronouncing them!
    Yea apparently there's a brain change that occurs before a certain point when you're a kid and novel sounds are much harder to pick up after that time. You see it more strongly in other languages. So German folks don't have nearly as strong a "W" sound so when they speak English it can come out as a "V" sound. Instant (crap) German accent ripoff, swap out the W's for V's. "Ve haf vays of making you talk" etc. The Spanish can have problems with I/E sounds in english. So shít sounds like sheet and they can find it difficult to discern the diff between words such as "peace" "piss" "peas" or "ship" and "sheep". It all sounds the same to their ears. English is a right bastard for such sounds mind you.

I remember reading somewhere that of the main European languages English was one of the hardest languages for a non native speaker to sound native, no matter how fluent. I dunno how true that is, but I know a Belgian guy who is scarily multilingual in 4 or 5 languages(I'm barely lingual). His written English looks native. If he posted here I'd bet the farm people would be hard pressed to spot he wasn't a local. In the flesh mind you, he sounds like Inspector Clouseau with a hint of Dublin. :) However an Italian guy I know says the same guys Italian sounds native and he could be easily mistaken for an Italian on the phone. It would take a long convo to spot him. I knew a woman who lived in Spain who was regularly mistaken for a local on the phone. Her gorgeous long red hair, milky skin and freckles screwed the whole thing in the flesh though, so we can rule her out as an Irish secret agent in Madrid. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

summerskin wrote: »
    i agree. when they talk about Keith Fahy it becomes "Fawhee".

and Paul McGrath...

we say Ma'gra, they say Ma'grathh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭ROFLcopter

fryup wrote: »
    The english are always taking the mickey out of us for not being able to pronounce our TH's ...but have you ever noticed they can't pronounce "ing" at the end of words it becomes "ink"

something > someth'ink nothing > noth'ink looking > look'ink

Or "Sommat"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭franc 91

Bhuel, will youse all have pity on some of us non-Irish (such as me) who are trying to get our tongues round the way you pronounce the end of ort and ceathair - now there's a challenge the Irish win at, every time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Try getting an English English speaker to read and then say my name.

Why do you think I spell it like this?

tac

Advertisement