Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about cooling / airflow in new build

Options
  • 18-11-2011 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I posted here recently regarding a new build I'll be putting together shortly and I'm hoping someone can point something out to me.

The CPU cooler I've gone for is this (http://www.dabs.ie/products/arctic-cooling-freezer-13-pro-cpu-cooler-7H0S.html?refs=4294946930&src=3) which has a fan on the side of it, I can't seem to find anywhere if this fan sucks hot air away from the cooler or blows cold air over it?

The case I've picked is this (http://www.dabs.ie/products/antec-300-three-hundred-case-black-6252.html?q=antec&src=3) which has a fan up top, again I'm not sure if this sucks out hot air or blows in cold.

If it's the case that that CPU fan blows air and the case fan extracts it then I was planning on mounting the cooler in such a way that it would blow the hot air directly up to hopefully help keep temperatures low.

If anyone has any tips on airflow and the like I'm all ears.

Thanks in advance
    Al

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭-( i )- Wicker

I believe most cases pull air in from the front and push air out the back or top. Either way I think you'll want the cpu cooler facing the top/rear exit fan. I hope someone else can clarify.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

As you look at the picture on Dabs, the cooler would push air away from you, through the PC screen, as it were. So you want it mounted:

Cooler fan -> Cooler -> Rear/top case fan -> Case.

If I were you, I'd take the fan that comes installed at the back of the case, and stick it on the front. By default, it doesn't come with intake fans. Just the top and back one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Also, what CPU do you have? I was looking to buy the same cooler but didn't because it would have exhausted the air up with my AMD board. Intel have it blowing out the back. You'd be OK with that case though as long as you put a case fan blowing the hot air out at the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

CPU is an i7 2600K.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭asif2011

If you had the money I would recommend the Corsair H60, it works with Intel & AMD processors, there are arrows on the fans to show you which direction the airflow is, but I have air blowing in from the back over the radiator. And when gaming that cool air (as well as the air coming from the front) get pushed out the back by the GPU. In an Antec 300 any hot air rising would get pulled out by the top fan...

• Advertisement

Serephucus wrote: »
    As you look at the picture on Dabs, the cooler would push air away from you, through the PC screen, as it were. So you want it mounted:

Cooler fan -> Cooler -> Rear/top case fan -> Case.

If I were you, I'd take the fan that comes installed at the back of the case, and stick it on the front. By default, it doesn't come with intake fans. Just the top and back one.

I ordered up a couple of 120mm fans so will lash them in the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

With that case I would configure the 2 installed fans as exhaust and fit 2 extra fans as intake in the front and have your cooler pushing the air to the rear of the case....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

CPU is an i7 2600K.

That,s grand just have one intake case fan at the front (Bottom one) and one exit case fan at the back.

Looks like this may be put on hold for now, the brother (lives in Norway) was ordering up the parts on his credit card for me to be delivered to Dublin but it seems Dabs won't accept any cards that are registered outside of UK / ROI.
    :(

Anyone got any alternative sites that would accept his card? I would go with HWVS but I'm hobbling round the place on crutches with a broken ankle so getting to the bank to setup the transfer thing would be a pox.

Can the transfer be setup using online banking or does it need to be done in a branch?

God no, you can do it online. (I haven't done it, so I don't know the specifics, but there was a thread here a week or so back where deconduo posted exactly what you need to put where on HWVS - apparently it can be a bit confusing, being German-translated English.

As it happens, the only site I've tried with a non-Irish card is Dabs, so I can't be of any more help.

• Advertisement

Serephucus wrote: »
    God no, you can do it online. (I haven't done it, so I don't know the specifics, but there was a thread here a week or so back where deconduo posted exactly what you need to put where on HWVS - apparently it can be a bit confusing, being German-translated English.

As it happens, the only site I've tried with a non-Irish card is Dabs, so I can't be of any more help.

Thanks for that, I'll go routing for that info now.

Out of interest, did you run in to issues trying to use the non Irish card on Dabs too?

Seems a bit daft to be honest to turn away the guts of €1000 worth of business, it's a Visa card too which I thought was international.

Any idea why Dabs would have such a policy in place considering the stuff was being delivered to Ireland?

Out of interest, did you run in to issues trying to use the non Irish card on Dabs too?

No, I tried a Canadian debit card. A Visa should work though, at least you'd think it would... maybe it's just the billing address. Maybe get the brother to go to his bank and add your address as a secondary billing address (should be able to) and you can then use that to enter into Dabs.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭asif2011

Any idea why Dabs would have such a policy in place considering the stuff was being delivered to Ireland?
    It happens a few places, their credit card processing might be UK based (eg. Sage Pay), so will only deal with UK & Irish credit cards. It also reduces their risk to fraud from orders from around Europe. OP maybe check Lamdatek out it might have the parts you want in stock, they use credit card, but I don't know if they'll accept one outside of Ireland & UK

Advertisement