Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where can i test a prop before buying

• 18-11-2011 4:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

hi,

Is there anywhere that'll let me experiment with different props before I commit to buy. I need a new one but am looking to change to 4 blade as I hear they bite better in open choppy seas.

Anyone know of someone/place that'll help?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I'd say the only place to test a prop is on your boat on your engine and out in open water and I don't think any shop will lend you a prop to do that.
    You will find with a 4 blade prop will give you less fuel economy because of the drag and will only give you a bit of a lift getting out of a hole it will also drop the top rpm of the engine.
    If your engine is running at the right rpm with the prop you have I would stick with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

Kind of thought no place around that'd do that .

I believe though that a 4 blade increases stern lift and also planes in lower RPM range that would surely be beneficial.

Boat is propped right but one or two dings ( lumps more like ) forces the change so i thought that i'd try a 4 blade to see if any difference but It'll prob take a few attempts to get the ideal set up and am not buying 3 different ones so guess I'll have to wait until someone decides to offer the facility or trying before buying .

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Is it an outboard if so you can get an adjustable prop where you can change the pitch to give you more thrust.
    I'm not sure about stern lift unless the prop is set at a steep downward angle and that would push the bow down not the best thing in rough weather.

Advertisement