Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Places to raise a family in dublin area.

Options
  • 18-11-2011 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for a bit of advice really. I'm looking to move in the next few months we need to be within a reasonable distance of Dublin airport as i will need to commute to the UK on a regular basis.
    As such my wife and 2 y.o child will spend time on their own while i'm away. I lived in Ireland for 2years about 10 years ago doing charity work with drug users spending time in Dublin, Cork, Limerick. As such am looking at the following areas;

Swords
    Malahide
    Balbriggan

I really need to be close to the airport, any advice on the areas above or alternatives that are family friendly and safe?

Thanks,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭LeeHoffmann

you're going to get people telling you swords/balbriggan is great and others telling you they're really rough. You should go check them out for yourself to get a feel of the area. I live in north county Dublin myself and have done for years. Balbriggan's a good place these days as it's a growing town with plenty of young families (so loads of schools) and ever more facilities and good bus and train links. Choose the housing estate carefully though. Malahide's lovely, very quaint but more expensive. Swords is good too - good facilities, very close to the airport,but doesn't have a train station and can be a little rough at night IMO. If you're looking for a smaller village with all of the above, you might want to have a look at Donabate (beautiful beach there too). Good luck

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Moved from AH.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Lord Derpington

Why not look at somewhere like Dunboyne?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭kazul

ziubzia wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for a bit of advice really. I'm looking to move in the next few months we need to be within a reasonable distance of Dublin airport as i will need to commute to the UK on a regular basis.
    As such my wife and 2 y.o child will spend time on their own while i'm away. I lived in Ireland for 2years about 10 years ago doing charity work with drug users spending time in Dublin, Cork, Limerick. As such am looking at the following areas;

Swords
    Malahide
    Balbriggan

I really need to be close to the airport, any advice on the areas above or alternatives that are family friendly and safe?

Thanks,

Drumcondra ftw. Near airport and city, mature and settled. "The donnybrook of the northside".

greenfly wrote: »
    Why not look at somewhere like Dunboyne?

Because it's in a different county and quite far from the airport for starters?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

Hi Everyone,

Swords
    Malahide
    Balbriggan

Thanks,

Malahide, Portmarnock, Raheny, Clontarf, Drumcondra, Glasnevin
    or if you wanna brave meath Ratoath & Ashbourne are 10-15 mins drive to airport

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Lord Derpington

kazul wrote: »

The OP said Dublin area not Dublin.

Dunboyne is about 20mins from the airport with easy access to the M50, thats hardly quite far.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,312 ✭✭✭markpb

I'm going to pimp my old home, Larch Hill between Santry and Coolock. It's a 10 minute drive to the airport (I lived there while commuting to the UK and Amsterdam a lot for work), has a lot of green areas for your little one to play outside, has a Centra right outside and is between three shopping centres: Omni in Santry, Northside in Coolock and Artane Castle in Artane. I lived there for six years and had no problems at all, only (eventually) moved to be closer to work.

greenfly wrote: »
    kazul wrote: »

The OP said Dublin area not Dublin.

Dunboyne is about 20mins from the airport with easy access to the M50, thats hardly quite far.

No public transport link from dunboyne to airport and a taxi fare would be quite steep...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

I grew up in Beaumont. It's only a 10-15 minute drive from the airport (if you go onto the M1 from the Oscar Traynor Road) and a lovely area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Swords is the closest more built up area to the airport. Only a couple of areas in the town to avoid, do that and it's a great place to raise a family. If you want a leafier and perhaps bit quieter town then Malahide is your best bet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Raheny. Lovely area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

ballymun

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Gae

we need to be within a reasonable distance of Dublin airport as i will need to commute to the UK on a regular basis.

How often will you be travelling? The Aircoach offers a pretty good service. You could live along one of their routes and have decent access to the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ziubzia

Thanks for your suggestions everyone. I think i'll be giving 'the mun' a miss. I'll be commuting on a weekly basis doing 3days IE 4days UK. So being close is a must.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

I live in Swords, I love it.

I'm just off the travelodge roundabout, so it's a stones throw from the village but its quiet, never had any hassle!

I lived in Boroimhe for a bit too which I couldn't recommend highly enough tbh. Perfect imo for a family - its quiet and safe etc. Got Supervalu, chemist, hairdressers and dry cleaners. Everything else is in the village, 5 mins away.

Close enought to the city to be handy, far enough out to be quiet :)

I love it, and I'm only here 2 years :P

Advertisement