Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

American accent v English accent

• 18-11-2011 5:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

Which do you find more annoying to listen to ???? American OR English:confused:

More annoying-American v english accent 137 votes

American
    0%
    english
    51%
    DingChavez[Deleted User]FGReddycbikotolosenc[Deleted User]pawrickshockwaveGran HermanoBurgoShanotheslayerrainbowtrout[Deleted User]SRFC90monicafussysteve french[Deleted User]jiltloopFlecktarn 70 votes
    neither
    21%
    CreaturegenieRichieCPlugNewaglishxtal191h57xiucj2z946qSplendourDionysusAppleblossom42MinkBig NastyArtur FodenNTMK1qTourd.a.r.r.a.g.hJaneLanekarma_paddy kerinsChris P. Bacon 30 votes
    both
    27%
    BlistermanR0otWibbscrosstownkOPENROADJoseJonesdsmythyTaltosFunglegunkCliona99LatchyminidazzlerlongshanksSmartly DressedTiGeR KiNgSRayMTeyla EmmagandomkkDob74dibirish 37 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

After Hours is buzzin' today I tells ya!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭LeeHoffmann

excessive use of question marks annoys me ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

scatter wrote: »

Tell me which one you have and I'll tell you which one is the most annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

Nothing worse than being told to hand over all your potatoes by someone with a plummy English accent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

both
    i'm off to start a poll on what the next poll will be about :p

• Advertisement

I vote "What's your favourite humming noise"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Which American vs which English?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

There are probably 100 American or English accents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

both
    How you can pick one over the other when there are so many variations of both is byond me .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

I vote Atari Jaguar

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

neither
    I assumed the post was which do you prefer so I clicked English...

brummytom wrote: »
    Which American vs which English?

Tom, no disrespect or anything, but now would be a good time for a Brummy to develop a thick skin........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Oscars Well.

Accents are going to be different depending on what region of a country someones from eg. Liverpool and Newcastle so this poll and thread is pretty pointless :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

english
    As annoying as it can be, the worst English accent pales in comparison to the piss boiling heights of a bad American accent. I want to keep slapping them until they look like a pile of Superquinn mince.

I vote "vague poll is vague".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

You should have a poll first to decide whether you should start a poll on what the poll after that poll should be.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

english
    i dont like how americans talk as if they're always asking questions.Forever ending sentences on a higher pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭IcedOut

neither
    English accent is the most anoyning accent ever, especially little english kids

I dont mind the American accent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

both
    Those southern Alabama girls sure do talk purdy nice ;)...as do those southern belles from deepest Suffolk :pac:

So the score from here is 1-1 OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

pmcmahon wrote: »
    i dont like how americans talk as if they're always asking questions.Forever ending sentences on a higher pitch.

you mean irish people, no :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

english
    Saila wrote: »
    you mean irish people, no :confused:

i think that is more stupidly adapted and influenced from the latter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Tom, no disrespect or anything, but now would be a good time for a Brummy to develop a thick skin........

A black country accent surely = a thick skin

A black country accent surely = a thick skin
    Yamyams are too stupid/inbred to know when they're being insulted, though. Shame our accents get confused so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

I hate that cockney wannna be rudeboy accent.All Americans sound the same to me except the ones from the south.I have an embarrassing confession to make i love the scouse accent.

Yamyams are too stupid/inbred to know when they're being insulted, though. Shame our accents get confused so much.

Cup of Soup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

both
    None of them bother me at all, Actually I like listening to other peoples accents,It makes them different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Robdude

I figured with the large amount of American Movies/TV shows/Music people in Ireland wouldn't have a problem with American Accents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

Robdude wrote: »
    I figured with the large amount of American Movies/TV shows/Music people in Ireland wouldn't have a problem with American Accents.

I find Americans extremely easy to understand they speak so slow though it cracks me up.

I hate that cockney wannna be rudeboy accent.All Americans sound the same to me except the ones from the south.I have an embarrassing confession to make i love the scouse accent.

I can only split the American accents into three, Cletus, Boston, and the Rest.

• Advertisement

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I can only split the American accents into three, Cletus, Boston, and the Rest.

What about "Da New Yoike/New Joisey accent"?

(Shudders)

What is confusing, they all sound the same, and the whole place is the black country

Why isn't the Northern Ireland accent an option? Its like a law that when ever an annoying accent poll comes up the Northern Irish accent MUST be an option.

You better hope the UN doesn't find out about this..

english
    Most North Americans speak Spanish anyway!

What is confusing, they all sound the same, and the whole place is the black country
    I work in Wolverhampton in the Black Country. When the riots were going on, I heard the following:

'They day now what they're riotin for'
    'Well it's just the way they am, ay it?'
    'Arrr'

It made my head hurt.

What about "Da New Yoike/New Joisey accent"?

(Shudders)

..into 4 then.:D

• Advertisement

I work in Wolverhampton in the Black Country. When the riots were going on, I heard the following:

'Arrr'

It made my head hurt.

Funny how I can work out Aussie v kiwi but never got round to the midlands, mind you doesn't help your most famous Brummy is Barry from south London

'Arrr'

It made my head hurt.

Wuzz it thay cuncreet blocks they wuzz throwin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Elliemental

both
    Define an "English" accent. They're all regional, and all radically different from one another. The same applies in America, tbh. But in England, for such a small Island, the differences are all the more unusual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Define an "English" accent. They're all regional, and all radically different from one another. The same applies in America, tbh. But in England, for such a small Island, the differences are all the more unusual.

England isn't an island.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

english
    Richard wrote: »
    England isn't an island.

Keep telling yourself that, Scotty McWelshman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭pearliefan

english
    American accent isn't awful but it does get annoying the longer I listen to it. I love the English/Scottish accent.. not the one you hear on Corrie though. Yuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

That London youth accent innit bruv. Worst accent in the entire world.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭pearliefan

english
    pragmatic1 wrote: »
    That London youth accent innit bruv. Worst accent in the entire world.

Nah Limerick or Dublin accent is worse!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Oh_Noes wrote: »
    Keep telling yourself that, Scotty McWelshman.

Eh?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

neither
    I completely misread the poll, thought it was which accent was preferable.

I'd much rather have the English accent over the American.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

They're all the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭ImpossibleDuck

scatter wrote: »

Dunno if anyone's pointed it out, haven't read the previous pages. But why did you put emphasis on the "OR" if you gave us an option to select both anyway? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

english
    Not fond of souther drawls but equally not fond or very strong northern accents.
    This is starting to sound like an unpopular opinion post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

english
    Most North Americans speak Spanish anyway!

That's French...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

both
    Why are American and English the only options? Aside from the fact that both places have dozens of completely different accents anyway, I'm fairly certain most countries have accents.

Personally, I'm not much of a fan of Parisian accents, but that may be because the few Parisians I know are snobbish tools.

• Advertisement
Advertisement